The George Washington Hotel

Bad (2.0 out of 5.0) 2 reviews

Tags

Family Travel Road Trip
See Amenities

Stay with a known chain!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 29, 2010

We tried the George Washington when we took my daughter for a college orientation trip --thought we'd get a little local color, rather than staying in a Courtyard. NEVER AGAIN.

I probably wouldn't have been upset if it was just the overpriced and just plain bad food in the restaurant, the fact that the front desk person YELLED my room number across the room to the bellhop (if I had been alone I would have requested a new room)---but when I came back after a tiring day at 6:30 and found my room not serviced ---that was the last straw. And, no housekeeping staff on duty at night. A young boy (the bellhop) was sent up to service the room. Needless to say I would never stay at this hotel again.....but I have had stayed at the Courtyard Marriott on previous trips ---it's fine.

To be fair, the renovations of the old building are very nice...the room was comfortable. I did have a problem that there is a governor on the thermostat and it was scorching outside. The room never did feel cool...but everything else, facilities-wise, was charming.

It was also cheap. I think I paid 83 dollars a night...but, hotels in this area ARE incredibly inexpensive. Plus, cost is only a factor for me if I'm comparing like options.
But, the staff was just not what you will be used to if you do much traveling. This wasn't a professionally-trained hotel staff. I don't have much Wyndham experience, so I can't condemn them and the corporate customer service rep I spoke with was very understanding.

If you are expecting the kind of service you get a known chain, I wouldn't stay here. If you are OK with less standard service --you may be fine. Either way, though, don't eat in the restaurant. If food isn't your thing ---you won't want to spend the money. There are PLENTY of interesting, unique and good places to eat in Winchester (try the Pedestrian Mall, for example). If food IS your thing --you'll just be annoyed.

Unique Quality: This is a renovated structure downtown. It is a nice renovation job and certainly has more charm than the other chain offerings in town.

HOWEVER, the view out my window is a building that seems to be a dilapidated and abandoned apartment building from the 70's...complete with dirty old furniture on the ledges. This is a little too much local color for me :-).

Directions: Near "old town" historic district...but across the street from unsavory businesses and residences.

Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Wyndham's Historic GW Hotel - great location!

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 15, 2009

Though we had some problems getting rooms at this historic property, once we checked in, we were very happy with the service and the rooms.

We showed up in Winchester one night, after a day at nearby Harpers Ferry. Our original plan was to spend the night in Harpers Ferry, but we realized that the town is dead in February, so we decided to move on. After a quick drive around the historic downtown area of Winchester, we were excited to spend the night here and explore the area a little on foot. We saw the George Washington Hotel just a block off the pedestrian street, and we quickly decided this was a perfect place to spend the night, if it was within our price range. My traveling companion LHenne1 googled the hotel and saw they had rooms available for around $160 a night--a little steeper than I'd expect, but maybe worth it for the location. We parked the car and walked over to the hotel and up to the front desk. We were greeted warmly, but when we asked about a room, the friendly front desk clerk informed us they were booked solid for this President's Day Weekend. We were disappointed, but we found a Wingate Hotel about two miles from downtown and headed over there to spend the night.

When we arrived at the Wingate, I pulled out my laptop and decided to check the price before checking in. While looking for hotels on one of the big hotel finder websites, I noticed the George Washington Hotel listed as having rooms available for just $110 a night. Confused, I got on Wyndham's website and looked up the George Washington... sure enough, numerous rooms were available for $110 or $160 a night, smoking, non-smoking, king beds, two full beds, and more. What the...? I decided to book a room then head back downtown and see what the deal was.

We walked back into the George Washington Hotel about an hour after we first arrived and the same front desk clerk was there. He greeted us warmly, and we told him we had reservations. He said we looked familiar, and we reminded him that we had been there earlier, were told no rooms were available, then were able to book a room online. He looked a little worried or confused, I'm sure which, then excused himself to go speak with the manager. I assumed the Wyndham website might have been wrong and he was going to send us to another hotel, but he came back after a minute and checked us into the room. He acted a little odd, not looking me in the eye after that, but maintained his professionalism as he gave us our keys and pointed us to the rooms. My only questions are why did he lie to us, or why did the hotel want empty rooms that night? Freaking crazy SOBs. Maybe I should call the ACLU.

Our room was clean and modern with two big beds, a nice flat screen TV, free wi-fi, coffee in the room, and more. Our only other problems other the the front desk jerk were the noisy bar right below our second floor room, and the noisy maids that were jabbering in the hallway outside our room at about 8am on a Sunday.

The George Washington Hotel was built in 1924 but was recently completely renovated, except maybe the sluggish, old elevators. The hotel has just 90 rooms on five floors, as well as a pool, fitness center, bar, restaurant, and parking.

Nearby The George Washington Hotel

• Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Winchester Travel Forum

Need advice about Winchester, Virginia? Visit the Travel Forum for Winchester and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Winchester hotel reviews