Washington Guest Suites Hotel

801 New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20037-2304, United States

More about Doubletree Guest Suites Washington, DC

A Good Choice Near George Washington University

We recently returned from a visit to Washington DC and stayed at the Doubletree Suites. We thought it was a perfect combination of price, accomodations and location.

If you are looking for a full service property this is not the place for you as there is just a tiny lobby area, a small staff, with no health club or restaurant facilities on site. What you do get is an excellent location, it's a very short walk to the Foggy Bottom Metro station at George Washington University. It is also a block or so away from the Watergate Complex where there is a Safeway, good to purchase water and other essentials. It is a very quiet area in spite of its central location.

The suites are decent size and well appointed, it was very comfortable for our family of three. There was a full kitchen which we made good use of for breakfast. A living room with dining table, sofa and tv. A separate bedroom with two queen beds, closet area, bathroom and another tv which was great as we didn't have to watch cartoons all the time. The property is a bit old, but very clean and well maintained. The Doubletree is a good value choice for a family, or if you need a place for a longer term stay and want to settle in.

great location, great price, perfect for a family spring break week in DC

This was a great deal ($159 per night) at a great location a half block from the metro Blue/Yellow line and a Safeway. The hotel is in a very safe neighborhood with lovely old houses.

In the week we were there we never took a taxi. We took the Metro 100% of the time for only $22 per person for the 1 week pass.

The rooms were very big and it was nice to have the kids in the other room with a locking door. One slight problem was they had to come thru the bedroom to get to the bathroom.

The only problem I had was that they had a hodgepodge of dishes and the dish washer didn't do a very good job. But that was OK, I but my 2 boys to work doing the dishes each night. Not going out for breakfast and dinner really kept the vacation reasonable.

Also, when eating out at lunch each day go to the Cafes in the government buildings not the Smithsonians. They are queiter and offer a better selection and value.

I would deffinetly stay here again and would recommend it to my friends with kids.

Last trip was better

by TripAdvisor Member stace120

I stayed at this hotel for a week in March and had a great experience. My return trip in April was not as great. The staff was still friendly and helpful, but this time I was on a low floor directly above the entrance to the hotel. I had trouble sleeping several nights due to noise from the street. I heard drunk people, sirens, even the taxi drivers and hotel employees chatting outside. I still like this hotel, but I strongly recommend requesting a room on one of the upper floors.

Great Location and reasonable value.

The Doubletree Suites is located in Foggy Bottom, not too far from the University and is about half way between The White House and the start of Capitol Hill and Georgetown) both within easy walking distance). Being close to the Metro there was easy access to the rest of the DC area and it is reasonably convenient for access to and from the Airports (via a change to the Washington Flyer from West Falls Church Metro). The hotel is tucked away in a residential area so is very quiet and you would feel safe walking in this area late at night.

The suite was quite large and had a well equipped bathroom and kitchen. The bed was very comfortable. Internet access was available in the rooms but at an extra cost. Minor gripe is that the foyer and corridors seem a bit dark and dingy and this does not give a good first impression but once in the room your initial impressions are unfounded.

Okay for a quick stay

by TripAdvisor Member shay&thecity

Used a big chunk of my Hhonors Hilton points to stay in this hotel for a night, on my drive up the east coast. This property allows dogs, which is what I needed. The hotel is clearly an older property and is not as plush as expected. The rooms are a bit raggedy, but sufficient. The staff was particularly friendly which makes up for any short-comings of the room. Located in a great area of downtown DC -- right by Dupont Circle and GW University, which made for a nice walk w/ my dogs.

Great location, and free cookies!

by TripAdvisor Member Diplomatic_Spouse

It's a nice place. All suites. Furniture is a little old, but not too shabby. The dishwasher doesn't really work, and the silverware and dining set they provided were really old and ugly-looking. They give free cookies on request at the front desk. Good location, walking distance to metro. I stayed here because I was on per diem, but if I was spending my own money, I probably would not spend $180/night on this place.

Walking distance to all sites!!!

by TripAdvisor Member kmb123

We stayed at the Double Tree in DC with our 2 year old daughter and 11 month old son. Our room was on the 10th floor, so the street noise wasn't too bad, but the sirens from the ambulances did wake me up a couple times the 1st night, guess I became used to it afterwards. The hospital is 2 blocks from the hotel. The hotel is in walking distance to almost all of the major sites. We parked our vehicle and never used it our entire stay. We also never took the bus, train or Metro. Walked everywhere, with our double stroller, LOTS of walking! Weather was great. Parking on the other hand is non-existant. Be prepared to pay the $25.00+ a day Valet Parking fee with the hotel. The infamous Watergate building is almost across the street from the hotel and has the CVS & Safeway grocery store on the bottom level. Lots of college students in this area of town. The pool is on the roof and was absolutely FREEZING during our stay. I thought that it would be warm since it's July, but no. That's part of the reason why I'm giving this a abover average rating. Our bathroom could have used a good scrubbing, tub was dirty, saw a couple large spiders in the living room area. Also, the hotel welcome guide says that they have highchairs & cribs to borrow, we called the front desk a couple times and finally they told us that they never have them. So, why does the welcome guide specify that they do? As for the cookies at the front desk, we only were given cookies when we checked in. Every other time we walked in/out they were always out. Service was decent. As for privacy, well, I'll just say that we were woken up @ 0400 by the couple staying in the room next to us, I'll just say they weren't sleeping. Another day, I could hear our other neighbors entire conversation when I was sitting on the couch in the living room. All in all, we enjoyed our stay and would most likely return to Double Tree. We liked being walking distance to everything, having a kitchen, and decent sized rooms.

a great location, nice suites, great staff

by TripAdvisor Member back/from/italy

I had to come on an emergency to take care of a family member. This hotel is comfortable, clean and has good people working there. The kitchens are big. There is a seven eleven up the street and a saveway and cvs pharmacy down the street at Watergate. Great location. I would stay here again. It's all about location and I am looking at Watergate, the Kennedy Center, Hudson River and Bridge from our 10th floor room right now.
The planes are flying to Ronald Reagan airport. It's only a $15 cab ride from the airport..

Perfect location for families

by TripAdvisor Member cab1118

We stayed at the Doubletree for nights in August 2006 in order to see as much of Washington DC as we could in 4 days. The location was great. You can walk to the White House and Lincoln Memorial. It's a hike but my kids are 15 and 11 so we were able to do it. The room is decent sized - not as large as an Embassy Suites room but definitely better than a standard hotel room. My only complaint is that the pull out sofa was broken when we arrived. However, as soon as we reported it to the front desk, it was fixed the same day. It is still a very uncomfortable mattress. The roof top pool is tiny - my kids were not even interested in using it. We spent most of our time sightseeing so it didn't really matter all that much.

The metro station is only a block and a half away in a very safe area. You actually walk right through George Washington University so it we always felt safe.

The cleanliness was fine and having a TV in the bedroom and the living room was great since we all needed to relax after walking around all day. I would definitely stay here again with my family. The cookies at check-in are a nice touch and the location couldn't be better.

great for families

by TripAdvisor Member littlegrrl

We just came back from the Doubletree (traveling with 2 small children) and we were very happy with our stay. 1 1/2 blocks from the Metro, an easy walk to Georgetown, walk to the Lincoln Memorial, several kid-friendly restaurants nearby, pool on the roof (although it was a bit chilly in the morning), full kitchen, separate bedroom with a 2nd TV in the living room so our night didn't have to end when our kids went to sleep. We'd recommend it for anyone traveling with small children.

Dumbarton OaksDumbarton Oaks

Dumbarton OaksDumbarton Oaks

Montrose ParkMontrose Park

Oak Hill CemeteryOak Hill Cemetery

getting around Georgetown from George Washington University

by ambaruch

Can I walk from George Washington University to the Georgetown area, or is it too difficult because of traffic or lack of sidewalks?

Re: getting around Georgetown from George Washington University

by jethanand

No problem walking the distance. Traffic is a disciplined and constant menace in this area. There are frequent trafic lights.

Re: getting around Georgetown from George Washington University

by travelmad478

Walking is no problem--it's not very far and there are sidewalks. You can also take one of two special buses: the DC Circulator (http://www.dccirculator.com/routemap.html) or Georgetown Metro Connection (http://www.georgetowndc.com/getting-here/shuttle).

Comments