Akwaaba DC

1708 16th St NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20009, United States
Official Site

More about Washington D.C.

Rear of White HouseRear of White House

Natural History museumNatural History museum

pack in ten dollar notespack in ten dollar notes

restaurants inside UNION stationrestaurants inside UNION station

Bus to Metro Directions

by jgivens

I will be traveling to the DC area in about a week. We have been several times and are quite familiar with the metro system (not so sure about the buses). We will be staying on Ray Court (street name), in Hyattsville MD. Where would I meet the closest bus to connect to a metro station? I tried the metro web site and had a hard time figuring out a combonation bus/metro route plan. Thanks ahead of time for your help. We have traveled around the world with help from our vt friends and have never been lead astray!

Re: Bus to Metro Directions

by mccalpin

Yes, the search engine at wmata.com is rather confusing, because it tells you NOT to enter the city state zip...and I don't think it knows where Ray Court is...(actually, when I messed around with it, it thought that it was Ray Ct, Takoma Park, MD 20912, USA)...

Oh, well, I think it will work for you like this:
1. go to www.wmata.com
2. On the upper left, enter "Ray Road & New Hampshire Avenue" as the "Travel from location". (this intersection is close to Ray Court)
3. Enter something like "Union Station" as the "Travel to location". Note that before you get to station, it will suggest the full phrase. I chose Union Station at random because I know it has a Metro stop.
4. Chose a date in the next 7 days.
5. Choose a reasonable time.
6. Click "Submit".

You should get an answer about a bus running from the intersection of New Hampshire Ave and Poplar (this is Ray Road on the other side of New Hampshire, so very close) down to the Fort Totten Station, which is on the red, green, and yellow lines.

Does that work for you?

Bill

Re: Bus to Metro Directions

by jgivens

Yes this helps. Thank you for your time.

Travel Tips for Washington D.C.

DC In May- way too crowded on the mall

by rdney99

I love all the historic sites, monuments and memorials of Washington DC, along with many other people who have been there- however I went in mid- May, and despite the beautiful weather- found it is not a great time for a serious tourist, history buff and museum goer like myeslf to visit- as the mall is so overcrowded with school groud on field trips- thousands and thousands of kids everywhere, many can be loud, and run all over. Nothing against kids- but it's too much, they take over. It's hard to relax and really take things in, to stand still for awhile in a Smithsonian Museum and read all the info that goes with a display. There are lines going into some museums, and it was irritating waiting in line to look at the displays at the Natl. Archeives, waiting for some people in front of me to try to read every line of the Constitution and Declaration Of Independence.. People are lined up before 7:00 am to go up in the Washington Monument, tickets sold out by 8:00. The better hotels and restaurants near the mall are jammed with people too. My tip is for serious adult tourists and history buffs who really wants to see things in depth is to not visit DC this time of year- or maybe go after Memorial Day weekend when school is pretty much over. I understand a very nce time of year to go when it's realatively incrowded is late Oct. early Nov. and the weather is still nice. I still enjoyed visit, and I love the city- will definitely go back. I have several- Being inside the Capitol Rotunda, the portraits of the Presidents at the Natl. Portrait Gallery, the fountains of the WWII memorial at night- eating good seafood at waterfront restuarants on the Potomac, the FDR memorial, and the selection of imported beers at the Brickskeller in Dupont Circle.

Moving Memorial Experience

by RhondaRuth

One day isn't enough to see everything in Washington DC. We'll be back to see more, but we'll never forget the astounding feeling we got when we visited the Korean Veteran's War Memorial. The statues of soldiers walking thru the rice paddys will give you goose bumps when you look into their ghost-like faces. The wall that runs along beside them is another emotional affect. When men walk away with tears in their eyes, you know the tribute to our lost men and women through war has touched the public.

I just wish there would be no more lost lives to War... I'll never forget the emotions the War Memorial represent. Very moving to see them in person!

Washington D.C. Tip

by boltonian

Ok, this is not exclusive to D.C, but its where I saw it. Stop laughing, but taking in an WWE wrestling event live is an experince and a half. I saw WWF RAW in D.C and it was great entertainment. Even if you hate WWF, its worth going to see the fanatics who think it's real.

My fondest memory of...

by Ky_Happy_Dad

My fondest memory of Washington would either be visiting the Smithsonian Institute's wonderful museums or simply walking on the National Mall and tidal basin area on a warm Spring day when the cherry blossems were blooming.

Protestors

by Gypsystravels

And what would the Capital be without its protestors? Usually they congregate either in the front or back gates of the White House. You can also find them throughout the city handing out leaflets and trying to get their point across. This guy was all dressed up as Bush...his slogan says it all!

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

The Dupont Hotel

1500 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20036, United States

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Grand Hyatt Washington
Holiday Inn Washington-Central/White House
Latest: Apr 10, 2014
Days Inn Connecticut Ave
The Melrose Hotel, Washington D.C.
Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
Latest: Apr 12, 2014
One Washington Circle Hotel

Akwaaba DC

Akwaaba Dc Hotel Washington Dc

Address: 1708 16th St NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20009, United States