Capital City Hotel

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

More about Capital City Hotel

Donovan House- Very Cool Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member vacatripper

Great new hotel! I loved the atmosphere in this hip new hotel. The rooftop pool was one of the highlights with an amazing view of the city. From incredibly soft pillows, to the ipod docking station, and free wireless throughout the hotel, this hotel had it all including very stylish decor. The gym was not huge but very nice for a hotel gym with big personal tvs attached to the treadmills, bikes, and elypticals. I also loved the Khiel's products in the bathroom. The rates were very reasonable for a hotel of this caliber.
I would definitely return when I am back in DC.

Chic & Sleek

by TripAdvisor Member TF86

Very much enjoyed our one night stay at the Donovan House. Super clean rooms, lobby, etc. Loved the color scheme and decor, especially the funky shower! Comfortable bed, quiet room, great view of Thomas Circle. Roof top pool small but sufficient with terrific lounges, each covered with a fresh towel and another rolled up for use. Poolside music and cold water (with fruit added) provided. Efficient and helpful staff.

loved it

by TripAdvisor Member 904macon

My daughter and I spend several days at the Donovan House. I had researched hotels in Washington before booking this hotel, finding hot and cold reviews on Tripadvisor.
I have to say that we were very pleased with every aspect. The room was fantastic,with floor to ceiling windows overlooking Thompson Circle. The bed was great. The shower and tub were spectacular and the water pressure, despite reviews, was great.
We got a nicet rate through Quickbook that couldn't be beat through the regular travel sites. The staff was ultra-polite the rooftop pool was very comfortable. We had a chance to view other room throughout the hotel and were glad to have the studio king room which ,in our opinion, was the best room in the hotel.We recommend this hotel and can't wait unitl the bar and restaurant are completed.

New and Fabulous

by TripAdvisor Member cmello28

My Boyfriend and I stayed at the Donovan House on May 25 for one night Memorial Day weekend. Upon arriving at the hotel we were greeted by friendly valet and door service and we really liked the decor of the hotel and lobby. We checked in on Sunday morning around noon as we requested an earlier check in it was quick and easy. Our room was on the 7th floor with nice view of Thomas Circle. The room was very clean and trendy. Lots of snacks and packed mini bar which we did not use because it was very pricey! the Bed was amazingly comfortable. The Bathroom is very spacies and we enjoyed the Kiehls products. The TV was great with many channel options and ipod dock station was awesome. Loved all the lighting. Only complaint is the water pressure in the bathroom is very weak but we did find the rotating shower design look cool just wanted more pressure for a nice shower. The window in the room did not open but the AC was enough. We got to spend a good part of the morning at the Pool which had just opened and it was great. Very clean and great view.We wished the bar was open but new that was a work in progress it did look really nice.

They provided complimentary washington post and small breakfast at the lobby (nothing fancy) but it was nice.

We got a great deal through Travelzoo and we would definetely stay there again.

Don't believe the hype

by TripAdvisor Member dandux

There was a lot of buzz about the Donovan, and I wanted to check it out. The price point puts it at the level of many luxury hotels in DC, many of which I have stayed in. The website promised many amenities, virtually all of which were either unavailable or vastly overrated. First, it promised a top restaurant with a "celebrity chef". There is no restaurant yet built. It promised a rooftop pool with bar - there is no bar (no liquor license) and the artist rendering of the pool was more than a little oversold - it had these really cool looking cabanas in the pictures - kindof like the skybar in vegas - but there are no cabanas. The roof was pathetic. The rooms were clean, but the minibar was priced way too high (even compared to std minibar prices). They wouldn't go out and get wine or champagne for us, and if we wanted food we had to order take out and they didn't even have recommendations. And finally and probably worst of all, the concierge service was definitely the worst I had experienced. After literally 5 phone conversations I was still being asked "what do you want to do?" Their concierge has NO knowledge of DC and activities for their guests, and we finally gave up. I think the allure of this hotel to travelors is the contemporary design. Kindof looks like something the ratpack would be into. The shower was unique, but constructed of cheap plastic and poor water pressure. I'll give the architect points for originality, but when staying in a luxury hotel, I expect top service, restaurant, bar, etc. I was thoroughly non-impressed, and would recommend several other much better hotels for the price including the Omni or the Marriott. I'm baffled at the other ratings I saw - I truly think they must have stayed somewhere else, or they were people who aren't used to luxury hotels. When comparing to a red roof in it's definately an upgrade but if you want to get what you pay for, don't waste your money on this one.

What a great deal!

by TripAdvisor Member turtleridge

We happen to be in DC while 4 universities were having their graduation. Donovan was available, and now that i've been there, I can't believe it. I suspect because it is a new hotel that people don't know about it yet. We stayed 3 nights and it was great. The breakfast coffee and pastries in the morning were nice. So were the Kiehl's products. the location is great as it's two blocks from a metro, or you can just take a short bus ride to The Mall. Perfect for tourists to stay here on the weekends as the rates are lower. To point out some minor imperfections which shouldn't affect your stay...low lighting in room and slow to drain sink. Overall, i would recommend and stay there again.

Small changes would help a lot!

by TripAdvisor Member LisaandRobert

Pros:
Very friendly staff
Great firm mattresses
Lots of light
Nice view of the city
Pretty good shower in "superior" room - not one of the deluxe spiral showers
flat screen TV

Cons:
The most uncomfortable chairs I have ever experienced. I cannot emphasize this enough. Dreadful!
No hooks or towel racks anywhere in the bathroom or room
No extra blankets available
Wireless didn't work, but they did provide an ethernet cable for free wired internet access

Great option in DC

by TripAdvisor Member clvier1

I wanted a one-night getaway with my girlfriend while staying in the DC area with my sister. As with many DC hotels, it is MUCH cheaper to stay here on a weekend, weekday prices are high in tourist season.

Location on 14th St is good, close to White House and Nat'l Mall. There is also a nice variety of shops and restaurants nearby, and a Metro station is very walkable. The hotel is on Thomas Circle, which was convenient for me as I was using Zipcar, and there were several cars a short distance away.

The decor is cool and crisp with earth tones and whites, with a sleek but warm lobby area. My room was the cheapest, no spiffy monsoon shower or view, but very nice - liked the turndown service and chocolates. Tons of tv channels on the flatscreen, and nice amenities in the bathroom. The bed was very comfy, and we both enjoyed the lighting options.

Staff was very polite and friendly, and there was a spiffy complimentary umbrella in the room that came in handy.

I noticed a number of families staying there, esp. Europeans - so it is not just a "hipster" place.

One note - the very nice-looking pool closes VERY early, I believe 6 pm, which I found strange for a rooftop pool. There is no bar yet as advertised, nor restaurant. Room service is incredibly expensive, and the continental breakfast is high quality, but minimal. There are plenty of nearby places for am food anyway.

I would say to give it a try, esp. on a weekend or if you can snag a good rate.

great stay

by TripAdvisor Member Wesley_4024

Loved the room and had a good view on Thomas Circle. Close to White House and Washington Monument. 2 blocks away from subway. Bed was supercomfortable. I would say the spiral shower is a bit overrated but was different. Wireless internet was complimentary. Definitely recommended, however I did not pay full price so my expectations weren't quite as high as others might have been. I would say the worst part of it was that the rooftop pool closed at 7 p.m.

Clean Clean Clean

by TripAdvisor Member CrazyFoodieGuy

Loved the actual hotel...Might just be the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in...maybe cuz it's brand spankin new. Shower is cool, bathroom is amazing, and Deluxe King Room is quite large.

Only problem though is location....it is downtown but about 15 minute walk just to the White House and way too far to walk to the Capitol especially in the crazy Washington summer heat. As well, there is no restaurant in the hotel yet and couldn't find any decent place for food nearby...

But @ $120/night, it is defnly worth it (if only it wasn't that HOT). If money's not an issue for you, defnly stay at the JW Marriot or Willard Intercontinental....otherwise give this place some thought.

I will definitely consider Thompson Hotels next city I visit!

seen from Lincoln Memorialseen from Lincoln Memorial

Old Post Office Pavilion -the buildingOld Post Office Pavilion -the building

Memorial AmphitheatreMemorial Amphitheatre

taxitaxi

Birthday Get away to DC

by Dlee

I want to take my husband to a one night get away to DC for his birthday. We live only an hour or so outside DC. So I wanted to do the nice dinner and over night thing. Has to be on a Sunday. Anyone know of a good hotel in DC? Thanks

by letscruise

Having lived in DC and with family there, I rarely stay in hotels. But my wife and I splurged one weekend when we came up to visit family and stayed at the Hotel George ( http://www.hotelgeorge.com/ ). It was expensive but very nice for a special occasion. It is also in a good location, close to Capitol Hill, Union Station, and the museums.

by xymmot

Hotel Monaco , 700F St NW (202-628-7177) A great hotel with special deals. Many restaurants all around with the MCI center down the street.

by xymmot

I stayed at Hotel George and thought the rooms were too small and there is no view.

by TOPSHELFPUBCRAWLER

The two finest hotels in D.C. are the Willard Intercontinental or the St. Regis, both within close walking distance to the White House.

by letscruise

I guess room size is relative. I had no complaints about the George. But, I agree that there wasn't much of a view. The Willard is supposedly the nicest place in town. We didn't stay there because it was even more expensive than the George!

by GenXVoice

Agreed. The Willard boasts itself as one of DC's finest and I have enjoyed staying there many times and love the rich ambience of its interior. However, when staying for business or quick trips I usually stay at the JW Marriott on Pennsylvania. It is centrally located to all the sites and monuments, walking distance from The Mall and the museums and archive buildings, the Metro and only a couple of blocks away from the Willard should you choose to check it out for future visits.

For dining: One of my most favorite restaurants in DC (and the world) is Mie N Yu in Georgetown. Great menu and atmosphere. Whether it is a large party of friends or a romantic night out - it fits the bill perfectly. But must admit, the ambience and decor is what makes it one of my most favorites in the world. Completely eclectic without trying to impress...leaving a big impression. And their Dim Sum starter platter kicks off your night in the sweetest of directions.

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Washington Suites Georgetown

2500 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20037, United States

View all Washington D.C. hotels

AKA White House

Capital City Hotel

Donovan House Washington Dc
Donovan Hotel A Thompson

Address: 1155 14th Street NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20005, United States