Capitol Hill Suites

Booking.com CheapTickets.com Expedia.com

Costs 24% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• midnight_mike's Profile Photo

Nice hotel close to Capitol Hill

The Capitol Hills Suites is a mid-sized hotel in a quiet residential area of Washington. It is only a couple of blocks from the Capitol building and the Supreme Court. The rooms are clean, but not extraordinary. The location, however, made up for any of its shortcomings. Breakfast, which is included in the price, was above average.

• Bostephenson's Profile Photo

Consider yourself warned!

I've never actually stated at the Suites. At a former job, we put all of our guests up at the Suites. They are, without a doubt, the closest hotel to Capitol Hill. If your business requires you to be in and out of the Capitol frequently, then they are probably a good bet for you.

Regarding our guests, the comments were universally negative. Words like 'run-down' and 'bugs' come to mind. We did have one group that enjoyed them--a delegation from rural China. We moved our professional guests to the nearby Hotel George. I suggest you do the same.

Directions: 2nd & C Streets Southeast. 1 block east of the Cannon House Office Building and from the Capitol South Metro Stop.

More about Capitol Hill Suites

Pleasant stay at Capitol Hill Suites

by TripAdvisor Member MaryTraveler2

My husband and I stayed at Capitol Hill Suites for several days in October. It was an excellent choice: attractive room, attentive staff, convenient location within walking distance of the Mall and several reasonably-priced restaurants, and with a Metro stop just a block away.

Capitol Hill Suites were better than expected

by TripAdvisor Member travelingal1

After receiving mixed messages from Tripadvisor (early 2004 reviews were very bad; recent Tripadvisor reviews and Frommers very good), I decided to book anyway because of the great price and location. We were not disappointed. Our room was larger than the average hotel room, plus it had a dressing room and a kitchenette. It also had two queen beds and a sofa and, a very nice continental breakfast. My only complaint, and not a very strong one, was that the bathroom was small and needed some updating. The room itself was nicely decorated and had new bedding -pretty duvets, comfortable beds. Try it - you will be glad you did.

A nice place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member lccalifornia

We stayed at the Capitol Hill Suites from August 3, 2005 to August 10, 2005.
Our purpose of going to Washington was research at the Library of Congress and Smithsonian.
We have no problems in getting from the Airport to the Capitol Suites. The Hotel Coordinator was "on the job" getting people where they wanted to go.

The staff at the Capitol Hill Suities were very friendly and helpful in giving us directions and other needs.

The Capitol Hill Suites is located in a very nice neighborhood (not hotel row). As you have seen on television the streets in front the Capitol and other Federal buildings are blocked off. In addition a manned police car faces the Capitol on each, In addition to that, in the middle of every block a portable manned officer is stationed. So, walking down the streets for an evening stroll, you will feel secure.
It is right across the streets from the Library of Congress (Adams, Jefferson and Madison Building). It is one block from the Capitol, if you walk down the street you will run into the Smithsonium and other sites.

We did not rent a car but had no problems riding the Metro (one block from the Capital Hill Suites). We are glad we did not rent a car.

The Metro staff is use to crowds and very helpful.

The Capitol Hill Suites is located to reasonable places to eat one block away.

Pete's Diner next door has very good breakfast at very resonable prices.

Or, you can go to the free continential breakfast provided in your packet.
They have fruit, cold creal, milk, coffee, tea, very good coffee cakes, muffins, bagels. This is provided from 6 to 9 am.

They have a washer and dryer so I was able to wash all my washables prior to coming home.

If you have problems, the staff, both front desk and maids are very very nice in trying to please.

I would stay at the Capitol Hill Suites again.

A great find!

I booked a room for Capitol Hill Suites online, not knowing anything about the hotel. I was in town for a night for the Marine Corps Marathon. The hotel was conveniently located, right next to the Capitol and 1 block from the Metro. The hotel was clean, affordable and the staff were so kind. The rooms had a blow dryer, fridge and microwave. Also, it was located near cute restuarants that are not the typical "tourist restaurants." I feel like I found a "great find" online and will tell everyone that needs a place to stay that this hotel is perfect -- A close walk to everything.

Excellent location, moderate price ($80)

by TripAdvisor Member gaia1

We (2 adults, 2 children) stayed here over the weekend. The staff were friendly and professional. We had no trouble getting extra towels, local maps, and info.The room was a good size, the kitchenette was a convenience for storing, reheating nothing more. The room was clean and modern. The breakfast offered plenty of choices in good quantity.

This is a great choice for visiting DC - the Capital South metro stop is about a block away.

Noisy and Customer Service-challenged

While the room tecnically qualifies as a deluxe suite with its alcove and a kitchenette, this hotel was disappointing in a number of ways. The peeling paint in the bathroom flaked into the tub/shower combination. The heavy metal door with its peeling weather stripping proved to be an excellent conductor of sound throughout a long, noisy night filled with hallway conversations. We tried calling the front desk a couple of times (since sticking my head out and requesting that they be quiet--it was 2am--wasn't working) and never received an answer after nearly 20 rings each time. Upon checkout, I brought up the noise issue was not even given an apology, just a careless attitude that indicated that they were not interested in repeat business.

On the positive side, the location was very handy to the Library of Congress and the continental breakfast had a wide variety of breads and even hardboiled eggs.

Enjoyed our stay

by TripAdvisor Member aanda

We picked this hotel because we wanted a 2-room suite close to everything and were very happy with our choice.

The room was spacious, functional and clean. The Kitchenette is sparse, a microwave, coffee maker and mini-fridge - if you want plates, and utensils, you have to take them (plastic ones) from the continental breakfast. The bathroom is small, but the shower was quite nice - plenty of water pressure and hot water.

Breakfast was adequate, but nothing special.

Our room was very quiet, we rarely heard any noise from other guests, we could hear the occasional siren or train. Anyone who is planning to sleep late should note there is a church across the street - the bells go off starting at 7 am, and are very loud.

Location was great, very close to the sights, the Metro, and plenty of restaurants. Safety is not a concern. Because of it's location on the capitol, the capitol police are ever-present and very visible.

We went with our 2 1/2 year old, and his favorite part was the playground at 4th and E st, 4 short blocks from the hotel. It was very popular with the preschool crowd, so there were always other kids for him to play with.

The staff were not particularly useful for helping us locate a good playground but were helpful with other things, and were always pleasant and friendly.

Super location & spacious suite

by TripAdvisor Member Patch10

Room - Stayed in a suite for two nights. We were impressed with the room, very spacious & clean. Had two double beds, sitting area, well equipped kitchenette, dressing area & bathroom. Could tell that many things had been updated. Duvets on the beds were nice. The only thing that needed an update was the bath.

Staff - Friendly.

Breakfast - This was an excellent added bonus included with the room price. The continental spread had a good selection to choose from including cereal, toast, muffins, juice, eggs, pastries etc. There is a tray in the kitchenette that you could carry the breakfast items back to your room on if you wish.

Location - Fantastic situation, the Capitol building just around the corner. All the other sites & the many (free) museums are along from the Capitol. There is a large police presence, so you feel safe.

Capitol Hill Suites 200 C Street, SE

by ariesm44

Anyone ever stay here and can give a recommendation - or not? I have read "stay away from SE Washington in a few posts. This place is on the SE corner of the National mall - two blocks away - is that too far away for safety?

Re: Capitol Hill Suites 200 C Street, SE

by pedersdottir

Hello:
I believe the SE part of DC that is to be avoided is over the river, into Anacostia. Anything close to thecapitol bldg itself should be fine.

by travelmad478

The address you mention is totally fine. At 200 C St. there will still be a lot of pedestrian traffic in the evening, so you'll be OK walking around.

I used to live at 13th and A SE (i.e. 11 blocks further away from the Capitol) which was OK during the day, but dangerous at night because very few people were around on the street. Then again, this was 11-12 years ago, and my understanding is that property values have shot up so much that the "bad" section of SE, which used to start just a few blocks down from my house around 15th-16th, has now moved even farther away.

by zanzooni

You will be safe in that area...it's on Cap. Hill...Anacostia is where most people are refering to as "SE DC"..Although, I have lived in Anacostia, on Good Hope RD., in an apt. building, as the only white person albeit woman, in the building, and I never felt safer for 2 years out of my life...~

by ariesm44

Thanks to everyone who replied. I have made my trip plans and look forward to being in Washington in Feb. I know its not the best time of year as far as potential weather - spring would be better - but I am not tied into my daughters school schedule. I just hope she is interested in some of the stuff there - like the Declaration of Independance. As for me, there are many things I am interested in seeing while there.

by soccergrrl

My boss sometimes puts his out of town guests (both personal & professional) up at the Capitol Hill Suites, so I think it's a fine place to stay. The neighborhood there is fine -- close to Congress and home to may interns as well as fine row homes. Things can change quickly in SE, that is, from block to block, but if you stick toward the tourist areas (mostly North and West of there) you'll be fine. Plus, the changes are usually quite obvious.

by pedersdottir

Hello again:
The Mall, from the Lincoln monument up to and around the Vietnam and WWII memorials, is quite impressive and stirring. Even my blase' highschooler thought so. The mint is worth a visit too, if only to the gift shop, which has surprising exhibits and displays on 'where all the money comes from' Have fun in DC!

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

The Dupont Hotel

1500 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20036, United States

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Latest: Apr 12, 2014

Capitol Hill Suites

Hotel Capitol Hill
Capitol Hill Hotel Washington Dc

Address: 200 C St. SE, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20003, United States