839 17th St NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20006, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

• Club Quarters

Unique Quality: The hotel is adjacent to the Metro and offers easy 12 minute access to the airport or Union Station or walk to Smithsonian Institutions and the Washington Monument.
    This hotel offers a fitness center that will even deliver an exercise bike or stair master to your room, 24 hour shop and service, and a private men's club room.

Directions: 839 17TH STREET

Located at 17th and Eye St. NW, in the center of the city, two blocks from the White House and within minutes of historic Pennsylvania Avenue and Layfayette Square.

More about Club Quarters

Enjoyed Stay at Club Quarters

This hotel is clean, quiet, and the staff very friendly. Our room was very comfortable and up-to-date with flat screen T.V. modern bathroom fixtures and even interesting books to read on a shelf above the desk. You check in and out via an automated kiosk and the front desk staff was right there to assist. We checked out at noon but our flight wasn’t till late afternoon and for a nominal fee the hotel held our luggage while we continued to sightsee, then we relaxed in the lounge until our shuttle pick-up. We took advantage of the hotel's location within walking distance to White House, museums, and memorials. Rooms are small, and no view from windows but that was not a concern as we were tourist and spent most of our time seeing the sights.

club quarters? better think youth hostel

by TripAdvisor Member CTSLA

Others who have reviewed the hotel say the same thing!

Small Rooms
Not That Clean
Beds Uncomfortable
AC/Heat Intermittent
Internet Service Intermittent
Poor Service

Really...this should just be a youth hostel. The location is excellent....but it is not a great place to stay. If you are on business....I think you could do better elsewhere.

Presidential Inaugeration Tips

by iam1wthee

-make your travel reservations before they announce who the next president will be. Once they annonce who won prices rise high quick.

-get the tickets during the election and do this by contacting congress. You might not get it if you live in a large city so ask those in nearby suburbs. It helps if you know someone who works for the government. ****DO NOT buy tickets from anyone, its supposed to be free*** If you do not get tickets do not fret you'll just be a few hundred yards away.
-If you did not get inaugeral tickets yet still want a decent view get a tent and camp out as close as possible to the white house. This will be hard to do since the terrorist attacks but creative minds and willing hearts will prevail.
-if camping is not you then be there at least by 6am. You might want to bring a blanket or foldable chair because you will be waiting for hours.

-Keep in mind that it may snow and it will definitely be cold.

-Arrive days before event because they have blocked off roads starting the weekend before the event. Plus there might be impromptu concerts in the area if no snow or rain

-Hay Adams Hotel, Hilton Garden Inn, Club Quarters in DC are closest to the White House

-Parking will be a !*itch

-buy tokens for the metro in advance

-Exercise forgiveness because there is going to be a massive crowd

-if you can get your doctor to prescribe detrol, ditropan then good otherwise wear depends, or panty liner with uromed miniguard patch because they never have enough of those portable toilets for you to use and when you find it you have to wait on a long line
-carry your own toilet tissue in case you do make it to the toilet and there is none left

- Normally the oath is given right before 12pm. The parade takes place right after the benediction. Different balls, parties, and bashes start at different times

convenient location

by TripAdvisor Member Anaps

We stayed at the Club Quarters for a wedding and found the hotel to be extremely convenient, the White House, and the National Mall are not far away, along with a few short blocks to dupont.
The hotel is small, but having stayed in the lower Manhattan Club Quarters we found the rooms to be a bit larger here. The staff was very nice, helpful and quick to help check in and out. If your looking for a convenient place in the center of the city this is a nice clean place to stay.

Great Location with Something for Everybody

by TripAdvisor Member Roadtravlr

My friend and I stayed at the DC Club Quarters for two nights. We needed a location where we could explore the city easily for the weekend and a hotel that would provide some basic amenties. Club Quarters met our criteria and then some! The location is absolutely ideal--you are within a minutes walk of both the Blue line metro (Farragut West--right next to the hotel) and the Red line (Farragut North). The area was safe and there is a small park nearby. The hotel itself was also nice. Do not expect extravagant decor at the Club Quarters. Our queen room with sleeper sofa had a very minimilist and modern design (and since we were tourists, we were fine with that!). There was a small refridgerator and the cable tv selection was pretty good. Although we did not try the gym, it looked rather adequate and high quality. The staff was also curteous and quick to help. I highly recommend this place if you are a business traveler or techy tourist who needs to be plugged in to the internet. All the rooms are equipped with highspeed internet access via ethernet plug and also wi-fi, all for free! The second floor business center is in a comfortable, lounge-like decor with a wide screen tv. All in all, our stay at Club Quarters contributed to a great weekend in the city.

Adequate and clean -- but not much more

by TripAdvisor Member docdiamond

I stayed at Club Quarters in DC on a business trip. I wasn't sure how to rate it, because there isn't anything else that compares to it very well. It was cheap and convenient. It was $144 per night, which is great for DC. But the best thing is the location. You are close to the White House, and the hotel is actually in the same building as the Farragut West Metro stop. The Cafe Soleil adjoins the hotel, and is connected to the lobby. I didn't eat there, but it looked fine. Check in is simple, and the staff is friendly enough. The elevator is slow and small, and once you get to your floor, you will find the hallways to be very small and cramped. If you have ever been to Europe and stayed in a smaller hotel, it will be dejavu for you. My room was very small, about 9 by 17 (not counting the bathroom) with a corner cut out for a small closet. It is about half the size of most hotel rooms. It reminded me of a dorm room in terms of size. However, the room was well decorated and clean. It looked like the room had been renovated very recently, and the furnishings were tasteful and comfortable. It had two phones (one corded and one cordless), had a flat screen tv, clock radio and hair dryer. The bathroom was also small, and the shower was uncomfortably small. If you are on your own nickel, you may want to consider staying in this place. It is clean, quiet, well located and cheap.

On a Budget - Close to White House

I checked out TripAdvisor for information on this hotel before I booked it. I read through some of the comments, good and bad, and had a difficult time determining through the view of others if it was the right choice for us. I finally decided to book it and for the most part am happy I did.

Now, I just want to share some of my thoughts with others. But instead of writing paragraph after paragraph of personal opinions since we have now actually experienced it, I have decided to list the positive aspects of the CQ and some of the things I felt could be improved and will substantiate all. Then, hopefully you can make your own informed decision.

Positives:
-The location could not be better. My wife and I are walkers (instead of taking a cab everywhere) so the location just two blocks North of the White House was a positive for us. When we needed the Metro, the nearest stop just outside the hotel front door was convenient. I believe that stop closes on weekends but the nearest alternate is just a few blocks further north.
-The nightly rate was great. We purchased online via Expedia and got a $99/night rate. I waited until within one week of travel and noticed the rates continue to fall. Even after I booked it I found a better rate at CQ for $89/night. I guess it pays to wait. And for comparison, two years ago we stayed at the Hilton in DuPont Circle for $79/night. I’ll pay the $20/night more to stay close to the things I want to see.
-We found the place clean and the staff responsive to any request we had. In fact, there’s very little interaction with the hotel staff unless you need something brought to the room. You check in via an automated kiosk and do the same via a different kiosk to check out.
-Security was OK. You have to use your room key in order to take the elevator to your floor. (see negatives)
Negatives:
-Hallways were small – similar to European hotels.
-Can be noisy inside and out. I heard slamming doors and people talking occasionally throughout the night. I also could hear street noise. My wife did not complain of this. Once we turned off our room light I could also see light from the hallway around our door.
-Security. Notice this one appears in the Positives section, too. While I think it’s a good idea to use your room key to activate the elevator, I was wondering if some smart criminal could bypass this “security” feature and get upstairs possibly by “riding along “with someone else with a actual key. Maybe – maybe not, but with the front desk staff not as engaged with the comings/goings of the guests because there’s actually very little interaction between the guests and staff, this could be a concern. A small one perhaps.

Generally, if you are on a budget, don’t mind small rooms, but expect a clean and friendly place to stay in DC that’s close to the center of everything, Club Quarters might be for you. I would probably stay there again.

Great Value For DC But Service Problems & Small Rooms

This was my first time booking and staying at a Club Quarters hotel, although I travel about 2-3 times a month. I felt it would be a comparable value to say Priceline with perhaps a few extra perks.

The Booking Process
I found an Expedia rate for about $95, but I am affiliated with a company that is a CQ member that offered a better rate. However, the CQ web site will only book member standard week day rates. It will not book the discounted weekend and holiday rates which represent a tremendous value such as might be found on Priceline.

Like most chains CQ has a centralized reservations phone number which is (212) 575-0006. When this office is closed, you are prompted for which CQ city you want to book, and then are transferred to the front desk of said hotel. The front desk, apparently not aware of this telephone forwarding practice, kept forwarding me back to the CQ centralized reservations. I was stuck in this loop for about 2-3 cycles.

Finally I got the front desk agent on the phone. First he tried to tell me the hotel was sold out. I did not think this was true since it showed rooms available on the CQ web site. He then agreed the hotel had rooms, and he quoted me a total of 3 rates before reaching the weekend rate that I wanted. In other words, I had to keep prompting him that I wanted the weekend rate before he finally gave it to me. Then he only took my last name, and no other information. I asked him if he needed my credit card number and other details, and he said no. I was advised I had a confirmed reservation, and that it would even be held after 6:00 P.M. without a credit card. The agent really did not want to book this, and it felt like I was really troubling him to complete this transaction. Eventually the room was booked in an unfriendly and cold sort of way.

As a test I also called the centralized reservation number, and selected Boston. At Boston, the front desk also seemed unaware that central reservations forwards calls to the hotels, but they were friendlier in answering my questions about rates.

I travel enough to know this seemed strange so later on I called CQ centralized reservations to confirm. They had no reservation for me, and they transferred me back to the hotel. The hotel said that they had no reservation either. Also at this point the hotel was trying to charge me a higher price than the one they had confirmed earlier on in the day. One agent spoke to another one, and coming back to the line, they told me the first agent thought I was going to call them back to confirm the reservation when it was my understanding it was confirmed. At this point they were closing the door on the airplane I was on, and it made my blood boil! It was not like I could not find another hotel, but just the shoddy rude and incompetent service I had gotten from most all of the hotels front desk agents by telephone. The service from the hotel thus far was one star.

Check In
The plane landed, and I vowed to go to the hotel and straighten it out rather than take the easy way out and say just book a Priceline room. Plus I genuinely wanted to check out CQ since I had never stayed their before. I also felt this should be CQ's mess to fix not mine.

I arrived at the hotel, and after a bit of rankling and again not finding my reservation, they did agree to force the system to honor the weekend rate even though at this point it was technically not available. They actually gave me a slightly lower rate than the agent quoted over the phone. FYI this weekend rate was approximately $75 per night, so that's a good DC value no matter how you cut it! Given how unhelpful they were by phone, I was a little apprehensive that they would not fix this problem when I arrived, but they did as noted. While the error was corrected, they never appologized nor empathized in regards to the trouble I had with the booking and arrival process.

Hotel Room, Location, Services
I was placed in an "executive" which is the smallest room type CQ's offer. All CQ's have these rooms which are called executives. The room had a bed with at least average comfort, a desk, flat screen TV over the desk, clock radio with a cord that can connect to MP3 player (reminded me of the Hilton radio), and wifi. Also at CQ hotels you receive a direct 10 digit phone number where people can call you. Also this would enable one to say forward your phone calls to that number since it would go directly to you or your voicemail if you were out of the room. The air conditioning unit was not the quietest but not the loudest, and I don't think it would have bothered me if I had to keep it on all night. Again, the room was very small, but this was largely psychological. After all, why would one person need all this extra space? It would be perfect if you were not going to spend much time in the room, but I don't know how it would be if there a long time. But again you have your bed, your desk, your bathroom, etc., and its not like your going to pace around a big room anyway. The shower water pressure was adequate which I liked. There is nothing worse than bad (low) water pressure. As noted in other reviews, bathroom very small and only one wash cloth provided which was fine for me staying alone. I did see a housekeeping cart in the hall where I grabbed some extra towels, but I don't know if this is normally available. The hotel provides soap, shampoo, and mouth wash.

It is a good location, but again the Farragut West 17th street exit is closed on the weekends. However, this exit is literally right next door to the hotel. I'm not sure why in Washington people have a fascination or interest in how close a hotel is to the White House, because its not like you can drop by there for a beer or coffee or to say hello to the residents.

One guest went to the front desk in the evening, and wanted to change rooms because they said something had bitten or eaten them. I don't know what to make of seeing this. It made me nervous about cleanliness, but again I don't know what to make of it.

Conclusions
In conclusion, I do think the hotel provides a great value for midweek and weekend stays. If you book through CQ as part of a member organization, you get a discount certificate every business stay. Like other big cities, midweek DC hotel stays (even for a 3* like say a Hilton Garden Inn) can cost you $200-$400. So the CQ represents a great value. The trend right now, June 2006, shows hotel prices very high even for modest accommodations so there can be no question that CQ is a value leader while providing a 2 or 3 star experience.

I was disappointed in the service overall and the level of friendliness of the staff. There was one lady who was very friendly and helpful, but most of the rest of the staff largely was not.

I will try to book the reservations in the future either on the web, or through CQ member services. I suspect that the front desk agents are not really trained in reservations.

I would recommend that you read the Features section of the main Club Quarters web site to learn more about amenities, programs, and services which sound interesting. You can also see the various room types that all CQ hotels offer. CQ does not offer a multi level frequent guest program like chains such as Starwood or Kimpton do.

I would stay here again not because I loved the hotel, but it does offer good value, has a good location, and also they will store your items for about $4 between visits. Also having the direct dial phone number is a cool feature. Its certainly adequate if you mainly need a place to sleep, and its silly to pay $200 or more a night for that if your not going to really enjoy a 3-4-5 star place. I would think long and hard though before booking this if I was going to spend a long time in the room or be entertaining anyone but very close friends. Also the hotel offers larger rooms at higher prices.

Avoid it at all cost.

The hotel claims to be more than three stars. In fact, it is slightly better than a youth hostel. Everything is run down. The staff is rude, extremely unhelpful and impolite.

Finally, we had trouble with the bill. Nothing but trouble. It ruined our stay in DC!

If you want to stay near the White House and you just need a bed to sleep in, no service, than this is the place to go. Avoid the also the restaurant: overpriced, horrible service and bad food.

A Place to Stay .. Please Help

by NGCH2

I am planning a trip to DC and is confused by all the hotels in different areas.

Any advise or recommendation for a reasonably priced hotel/hostel/B&B which is near the metro.. i do not drive and will need to depend on metro....

I am travelling alone and hence will need a safe area...

Please HELP

by lahoree

Hotel Club Quarters, it is 5 minutes walk away from White House

by hundwalder

Try the "international Guesthouse", which is a hostel like B&B owned and operated by the Menonite church. Great breakfast with homemade whole grain foods. Don't remember the website but you can google them.

by NGCH2

Thanks. Club Quarter was sold out.

I like the internation guesthosue too... just a question.. is it in a convenient location near subways/metros ?

by hundwalder

The frequent public bus to central DC stops less than 100 meters from the guesthouse but it is near the Metro/subway station.

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Washington Suites Georgetown

2500 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20037, United States

View all Washington D.C. hotels

L'Enfant Plaza Hotel

Club Quarters Washington Dc
Club Quarters Dc
Club Quarters Hotel Washington Dc

Address: 839 17th St NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20006, United States