Embassy Inn

The Embassy Inn
Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Washington D.C.

jewelry collectionjewelry collection

historic synagoge at 6th&I streetshistoric synagoge at 6th&I streets

The Capitol buildingThe Capitol building

nightshot of Lincoln memorialnightshot of Lincoln memorial

roadtrip or fly?

by abs87

Hi everyone,

In January 2011 me and a friend will be travelling down from Washington to Miami, we are flying pretty much everywhere else in the USA and would like to drive some of the way. I am looking for a car rental company that offers affordable one way drops as we are not back tracking.

also is the drive nice or at least have interesting things to see along the way? or would we be better driving from Miami to New Orleans? we just dont want to miss everthing by flying all over.

we have quite a good time frame to work with probably around four days for the drive (is this too long not long enough?) but are very flexible to which road to travel.

any suggestions would be great!!trying to get all our transport paid while the aussie dollar is strong!

Re: roadtrip or fly?

by euskaldun

I have only done the Washington-Miami bit, which took us about one week. We stopped in Richmond and Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia, Wilmington in North Carolina, Charleston in South Carolina, St. Augustine and Cape Canaveral in Florida. All of them were really interesting destinations. It would be feasible as well in four days, as long as you reduce the number of places to visit. As for the scenery, I would rate as fine enough, with lovely forests and swamps, but the area is overwhelmingly flat and in no way as spectacular as some regions in the Western US.

I have yet to find a company that offers convenient fares for a different drop-off location, especially when that is far away from the pick-up place.

Re: roadtrip or fly?

by bocmaxima

DC - Miami and Miami - New Orleans are about the same, distance-wise, but the DC - Miami route is a lot more interesting.
Richmond, Williamsburg, the Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Savannah, St. Augustine... You have a ton of really nice and interesting places and can make a really nice drive out of this.
Per the fee, you're going to incur it regardless, unless you can find some sort of deal. Rental car companies will occasionally want to move cars out of a specific region and into another, so they'll charge a very minimal daily rate for the rental. I just rented a car one-way from Boise to Phoenix last week and paid $1 per day, no drop charge.
But it's very unlikely that you'll find this when you want and where you want. In summers past, I've seen Budget do it one-way from Florida, usually at about $7 per day. That said, would you consider flying to Miami, driving to DC, then flying to New Orleans?

Travel Tips for Washington D.C.

Metro Trip Planner

by Greatwalk0

Washington DC's expansive network of subway lines and bus routes has a very easy-to-use online trip planner, where travelers can enter starting point and destination and the planner will suggest different routes utilizing the city's public transportation. Very useful!

Visit: www.metroopensdoors.com

A Rite of Passage: Senior Trip to Washington DC

by deecat

"A child only educated at school is an uneducated child." George Santayana

At my High School in Robinson, Illinois, it's a custom for the seniors to take a trip to Washington DC during the spring of the year.
In 1959 we boarded school buses and were taken to the train station where we boarded the train to Washington. It was an exciting time for all of us. Today, it would be no big deal because seniors are so much more sophisticated and more well traveled.

The dress that I wore on the train (in the photo) was one of many that I sewed in Home Economics class primarily for this event. Be sure to click on the photo to see a very young deecat!

We saw the Lincoln Memorial, The US Mint, the Capitol, the White House, the Jefferson Memorial, and several other lesser-known places. But what I remember most was going to a club in one of the suburbs where the young Bobby Darron was performing. He did his famous "Splish Splash" and "Mack the Knife" songs, and we were all thrilled.

Maybe things have not changed as much as I thought!

This is a sad, and very moving...

by shiran_d

This is a sad, and very moving part of the whole visit.
The Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Although one of the simplest memorials, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial is perhaps one of the most moving. Country of great people, with lots of enargy.

God bless America

I really didn't get to see too...

by Zsuzsi21

I really didn't get to see too much of here, but soon I will be going back and I'm sure that I will be able to see more of what is out there. One thing that I remember the most is my time at Gallaudet University. I met so many different people and I got to practice more sign language. That was such an interesting experience for me.

figure on spending a whole lot...

by DesertRat

figure on spending a whole lot of time in museums. Washington has some of the best -- especially the Air and Space Museum. Don't miss the Hope Diamond in the Hall of Minerals in the Smithsonian. The Washington Monument at night with a strong wind blowing through the flags surrounding it. I'm not a rabble-rousing patriot, but there is something about that sight that can stir anyone's heartbeat just a little.

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

The Dupont Hotel

1500 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20036, United States

Omni Shoreham Hotel

One Washington Circle Hotel

Embassy Inn

The Embassy Inn Washington Dc
The Embassy Hotel Washington Dc

Address: 1627 16th St. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20009-3063, United States