Gallery Inn Hotel

HostelBookers.com

• alycat's Profile Photo

Cheap hostel/dorm

The room and bed were ok, except the restroom door wouldnt close, but it was ok. I had 4 beds in the room but only 2 were occupied, plus it was just 2 guys at any given time. My room had a small kitchen, fridge, and TV. A walk in closet completed the experience. They have 2 properties around the area.

Would definitely stay there again.

Unique Quality: Great location, close to Dupont circle, number of bistros and the metro station, made life easy with late night dining and travel.

More about Washington D.C.

old times  flightold times flight

National Postal MuseumNational Postal Museum

Space & Air museumSpace & Air museum

nightshot of Washington monumentnightshot of Washington monument

from Washington DC to BWI Rail station

by mindcrime

On our last day in Washington DC we'll take a train to Baltimore so to spend one night at RED ROOF INN (it’s near BWI airport) because we have to catch a morning flight from BWI.

1)how much is the cost for the train from Union station?
2)do we have to book in advance or just go there, buy our tickets and get into the train? (it will be Thursday, September 16)
3)Where the train goes? Is Baltimore’s Light Rail the same with the BWI RAIL STATION? I checked googlemaps, I can see BWI RAIL STATION (near the airport) but no other station. According to the hotel’s site there is a Free 24-hour shuttle service to the airport and Baltimore's Light Rail.
4)in case we wont find the shuttle bus, how much is the cost for a taxi ride to the hotel? It’s located at 6055 Belle Grove Rd, Baltimore, MD 21225

by bocmaxima

You want the MARC train from DC.
It's $6 one-way.

The Baltimore/MTA light rail also goes between BWI and Baltimore, but there's no reason for you to be on that.

When you get to BWI, call the Red Roof and tell them that you need to be picked up. They'll likely get you to wait at the pick-up points for airport passengers. I've done this a lot (public transit to the airport, picked up by free shuttles) and it usually works pretty well, although you will likely be waiting a few minutes, just as you would if you arrived by plane and requested a ride.

by xymmot

The rail stops right at the parking lot and like the other reply, call red roof for a shuttle ride. They are close to the airport. Follow the Marc and you can buy the ticket tat day with no problem. Cheers Tommy x

by mindcrime

great! thank you guys.

by morethannone

If people are still looking for information on this, I just wrote about my experiences here http://new2dc.blogspot.com/2010/10/getting-to-washington-dc-by-air.html . Having just moved to DC I've had to do both the BWI -> DC and Dulles -> DC trip a few times. My biggest gotcha: MARC train doesn't run late on Sundays. MARC and Amtrak do go to the same station.

Travel Tips for Washington D.C.

Areas Outside of DC

by risse73

Montgomery County in Maryland is a fairly good area to stay in since it is generally close in proximity to DC. Bethesda/Chevy Chase areas are nice and more upscale areas to live/be in. Silver Spring has a more genuine and "grounded" appeal.

Although Silver Spring may not be the BEST area to live in or visit, there are some good points, namely: easier navigation in the roads (there could be congestion though) compared to DC, diversity as to its residents, ethnic dining, the recent gentrification of downtown--which is good for people coming in, but unfortunately driving out old-time residents who may no longer be able to afford to live there as rental prices/real estate have dramatically soared, among others. Hiking the trail from Bethesda to Silver Spring

Contact your Congressman

by Dabs

As soon as you book your trip, look up the website for your Congressman if you live in the US and see what kind of special/VIP tours that they can get you passes for. Tours are handed out first come first serve and tours fill up more quickly during the peak time between March 15-September 15.

I contacted my Congressman's office in Washington only a couple of days before I was going, since it was October they were able to arrange for a VIP Capitol tour and entrance to the permanent exhibit at the Holocaust Museum.

The woman I spoke to said it takes a minimum of 3 weeks to get security clearance if you want to visit the White House and the intern who showed me around the Capitol said it was even more difficult than that especially during busy times. Even though it says you must have a group of 10+ people on the website, he said sometimes they get lucky and get smaller groups in so it doesn't hurt to ask.

Other tours on my Congressman's website include the Kennedy Center, Washington National Cathedral, Supreme Court, Mount Vernon and Engraving and Printing.

Jefferson Memorial - Believe...

by OrlandoBR

Jefferson Memorial - Believe it or not, this thing is supposed to look like the Pantheon of Rome. Makes sense, when we look at it. It was placed in an axis with the White House, and honors, of course, Thomas Jefferson.

See and experience the...

by Kay_C

See and experience the monuments and the Smithsonian. After seeing all the monuments in guide books, encyclopedias and magazines throughout my life it was actually mind-blowing to see the incredible size and granduer of them, especially the Lincoln Memorial. I drove into the city in the early hours of the morning as I had been transferred to Crystal City, VA with my job. Coming from San Francisco, I had driven across the US. I was so close to my new home, but could not get to it due to construction and a poor map. We drove past so many of the monuments that evening before finally getting to the hotel I was starting my new job at. It was funny as we drove by the monuments over and over again, saying 'there's that monument again.' I think we saw the every monument in the city that evening.

Try the busy atmosphere at The...

by Kalendara

Try the busy atmosphere at The Front Page, which looks like a large store front from the street. I met marvelous people, had delicious food, enjoyed the drinks and music (+ the daily bar crossword and the latest newspapers)and every aspect of The Front Page. This is a multi-level set of restaurant eating areas and various bars under one ownership adjacent to a hotel in the Embassy Row section of NW D.C. Actually, I became a regular, I liked it so much. There were many regular customers there, returning night after night. Features sports on t.v. & the screens were big but the sound was low so as not to blast people listening to music or talking. If you are into people watching, you not only have the patrons inside to study & observe but the passersby are on view through the large windows & you can be comfortable while checking them out. Everybody walks! The weather in January invited that too. Every single door on the street was a new operation of interest. Antiques, salons, restaurants of every ethnicity, book shops galore, clothings stores of every ilk, liquor stores open 'til the small hours, fascinating churches, well preserved old architecture and grounds and lots of Hiltons, my favorite hotels. I stayed at the Embassy Row Hilton and it was hushed, lush & had everything you could want. The rooms are huge and elegant, all premium channels on t.v., excellent service & food that rolls your eyes back. Lovely bar, helpful concierge. The BEST!

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Washington Suites Georgetown

2500 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20037, United States

View all Washington D.C. hotels

Days Inn Connecticut Ave
L'Enfant Plaza Hotel

Gallery Inn Hotel

Gallery Hotel Washington Dc

Address: 1850 Florida Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, DC20009, United States