1000 H St. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20001, United States

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 39% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• laforstraveller's Profile Photo

Super Friendly Service-Great Location

I normally don't get a chance to stay at a hotel of this caliber. I'm more of a budget hotel kind-of girl. I was expecting good service compared to what I am used to, but the staff at the Grand Hyatt far exceeded my expectations. Normally their rates are far and above what I can feasibly spend, but they have an awesome weekend rate available for their double, queen, and king rooms...less than what others of a lesser caliber in the area charge.

The hotel lobby is just beautiful! My kids went nuts over the piano "in the water," the high ceilings, the live trees, and the pretty glass sculpture. I've read many people complain about the high price of the breakfast buffet at the cafe downstairs. The breakfast buffet is just $20 pp and $10 per child--which is very comparable to what others charge for a Sunday brunch buffet in my area. The buffet is huge with a omelette station, eggs, bacon, sausage, many pastries, fresh fruit, cheese, cereals, and other specialty items like frittata's and quiches. There was something there to satisfy everyone's needs. The items do change on a daily basis. The cafe manager, Tracee, stopped by our table to ensure that everything was up to our standards. The kids would not leave this poor woman alone! She really took the time to engage our kids and get to know them. She was very upbeat and energetic, and the kids loved her. She gave us snacks to take with us, for the kids, while we toured D.C for the day--including some gluten free goodies for my daughter. She also took the time to send a wonderful care package to our room FULL of goodies (gluten free stuff too) for the kids and a very sweet handwritten note. I've never had such wonderful, personal service like this before! The next morning, the day of our departure, our waiter gave us several water bottles for us to take with us for our trip home.

The hotel rooms (we had two rooms--a queen and a king) were large, clean, and nicely decorated. The bathrooms were very nice, modern and had all of the amenities that we needed. There were no funky smells in either the hallway nor the room. We were not woken up at 7 AM by construction either morning--the area of construction was across the street and adjacent to our room and was a very active site--but we heard nothing (we didn't leave our room till 10 AM). We didn't even know that construction was going on until we stepped outside of the hotel.

We ate dinner at the Sports Bar downstairs. The food was decent, typical sports bar fare, and was priced appropriately. (I've stayed at some lesser hotels with sports bars that charge a lot more.) They were very accomodating with my daughter's gluten-free needs and very sweet to my kids.

All in all, we had a fantastic stay and will definitely stay there again the next time we visit D.C. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling with small kids.

Unique Quality: The atrium/lobby is amazing! They do have a pool and fitness center which we did not use. The hotel is located at the Metro Center metro stop, with easy access to the metro. You don't even have to step outside! The hotel is located on H Street in between 11th and 12th streets.

The price reflected below on this tip $80-120 per person reflects two rooms with tax, two days, with 2 days of parking divided by 5 people. Other hotels in the area were over $150 per night.

Directions: On H Street in between 11th and 12th streets.

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

Central Downtown Hotel

A very nice hotel with slightly larger than normal rooms. Despite its name, it's not exactly 'grand' but business-style elegant. It is very close to Chinatown and the Verizon Center and about 5 blocks to the White House. On weekends and other non-peak periods you can sometimes get good rates with breakfast included.

• doug48's Profile Photo

nice business class hotel

the grand hyatt hotel is a nice business class hotel centrally located in old downtown D.C. it is near the convention center and the metro center metro station. the grand hyatt has all the amenities of a good business class hotel. because of it's excellent location i recommend it.

Directions: old downtown D.C. metro: metro center

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

A Grand Hotel with A Great Location

Have stayed here three times in the past four years for an annual conference and lobbying trip. Always enjoyed my stay because the ammenties are so nice and the location is excellent.

The hotel has a huge atrium that gives it a very open feel and rooms face either into the inner 15 story high courtyard or outward to all the sights of DC. Rooms are large and well laid out.

Within easy walking distance to the Mall with all its attractions and all the shops of downtown DC.

The hotel a great breakfast buffet to start your day. Located right in the atrium with well designed pools right next to the tables.

A word of caution - not safe to walk around downtown DC at night by yourself. Large groups only.

Unique Quality: The 15 story high atrium give this large hotel a very open feel.

More about Grand Hyatt Washington

Very Convenient

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt over Easter break (myself and two children) and found it to be very conveinent. I recommend upgrading to the business plan for $20 a day you get two breakfast buffets and free local phone calls (my youngest was 6 and she was never charged for her breakfast). The rooms were nice and clean and service was responsive if we had a question or needed anything. I highly recommend using the conseriege service - we purchased tickets for the Spy Museum and were able to go right in even though the first two timed tickets shows were already sold out. The Old Town Trolly also stops right at the hotel's front door. Having the metro downstairs made going to the Mall very easy. We did not use the pool at all but it is at a health club attached to the building so I would imagine it was not extremely kid friendly. Capitol City Brewing is directly across the street and many other places were within walking distance. Overall we had a nice trip and really do not have any complaints!!

Perfect

by TripAdvisor Member CMBNH

Our stay here this past week couldn't have been any better! The building itself is beautiful with a huge atrium. The rooms are larger than normal with tasteful decorating. The baths are large and marble tiled. Housekeeping does a fantastic job. Rooms immaculate. We took the business plan upgrade for $20/day which included continental breakfast and free passes to the pool. The pool is in a health club accessed very easily. It is small but does the trick when the kids wanted to take a quick dip. Just remember, it is a health club so don't expect a true recreational pool. Without the upgrade, there is a fee to use the pool. The hotel is located at the main crossing of all metro lines which is perfect for getting around the city. Take advantage of it... it is a very progressive subway system. Right down the street, literally, is Ford's Theatre, roughly 5 minute walk to White House and Spy museum and loads of restaurant options within a block or two. This is where you want to stay. We would recommend it to any family.

Nice hotel, but could be better

I agree that the atrium lobby is very pretty, but the beds are not even slightly comfortable. It's in a good location and I had no complaints about the service, but I wouldn't go back simply because of the beds. The room was identical to the pictures you will see on the internet, except that the bed was a block instead of a mattress, so they look good and they were kept clean. If you don't mind my one complaint, you'll like the hotel. It could be luxurious when they get new mattresses.

Best location!!

by TripAdvisor Member Kim2M

This hotel is just the perfect place. You do not have to walk outside to get to the metro. The lobby is gorgeous. the rooms are fabulous, the service is great and the White house is within walking distance. So many other sites are within walking distance as well. China town is a couple of blocks away and they have many good restaurants at reasonable prices. If you are thinking of taking your family to Washington DC this is the hotel to stay at. Great spot!

Home was never this good

"Home isn't any better"
I spent a week at the GH while my wife was in DC on business. Everything about the Hotel was great. The Staff , the food, and the location was unbeatable. The Metro is right there. Walking to any downtown location is easy. A special "thanks" to the security staff for their friendly and smiling personalities. If all Hotels were like this no one would want to live in a house.

Anything but Grand Hyatt

My Grand Hyatt experience was anything but four-stars. I was greeted at check-in by a frazzled , scowling staffer who put me in a foul-smelling smoking room. The bed was awful, sub-motel six quality (others on this site have complained about this). The hotel bar was closed for renovations (undisclosed by their website). The concierge did not answer the phone and nobody in the hotel seemed to know what the weather was like outside (the windows face an atrium). The location is certainly desirable, and the bathroom was large and well-appointed. I expect much more at this price level.

Hyatt hotels in Washington dc

by tuamotu

hello..I found good rates for Hyatt Regency washington on capitol hill, new jersey avenue.. and for Grand Hyatt washington dc center.What is the best location,please?thank you

RE: Hyatt hotels in Washington dc

by cgf

Grand Hyatt it surely better, metro subway is accessible from hotel lobby, that's good for you as far as I remember you'll go to D.C. by train.
The Regency has the station at George Washington University, just a little bit more than a block.

p.s. sai che ho prenotato lo hyatt a Kota Kinabalu? facciamoli questi colpi di vita!! :-)

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Washington Suites Georgetown

2500 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20037, United States

View all Washington D.C. hotels

Marriott Washington

Grand Hyatt Washington Dc
Washington Dc Hyatt
Grand Hyatt Washington Hotel Washington Dc

Address: 1000 H St. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20001, United States