Helix Hotel -A Kimpton Hotel

Travelocity Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• globetrotter_2006's Profile Photo

Hotel Helix

This is one of my favorite hotels in DC in which I have actually stayed in and often recommend friends to stay in. It is conviniently located in the middle of Dupont Circle. Its lounge, Lounge Helix, is been voted one of the best happy hour spots in DC. The whole hotel itself is very elegant, and modern contemporary. Room are amazing with flat screen tv's, and a full bar. Hotel Helix is part of a large chain called the Kimpton Group.

• b4ugogo's Profile Photo

not bad, not bad at all.

I stayed at this hotel in Feb 2002 and found it a decent place to stay in D.C., the rooms were really big, though I did find that when in the hotel there was alot of static electricity in the hotel and I seemed to get a shock all the time.

Directions: near the centre, 10 minutes from the white house.

Nearest Metro McPherson Square - orange/blue line
    Farragut North - Red line

More about Helix Hotel -A Kimpton Hotel

Hotel Helix gets two thumbs up!

When I inquired through TripAdvisor of places to stay and things to see with an 11 year old girl, Hotel Helix was listed. I was NOT disappointed, in fact, we had a blast! Fun and funky, loved the music, art and helpful staff. Very cool decor...a blend of Pee Wee Herman's Playhouse meets Austin Powers pad in a hip, transitioning neighborhood ... close to everything you want to see. We walked alot from the hotel (at night I'd be a little more weary, but still I felt safe.) Generous sized rooms, Aveda Bath Products, and to boot, very clean, which is my #1 standard. I would highly recommend it, especially when travelling with kids.

P.S. My daughter especially loved the fur throws on each bed. We are going to the fabric store and duplicating one for her bed at home.

Great Staff!

by TripAdvisor Member DLA_55

We stayed 4 nights at Hotel Helix during the first week of September 2004 and truly enjoyed the experience. The room was very comfortable, the bed was exceptionally nice and the flat screen TV and CD stereo were also a welcome touch. We found the staff to be extra attentive and friendly from the desk clerk to the housekeepers...they were great! To top it off, we found Hotel Helix via a bid on Priceline and got an excellent price! The only draw back is the fact that the closest Metro station (McPherson Square) was a 10-minute walk down 14th street. We found a great Thai restaurant right around the corner on 14th (Thai Tanic, 1236 14th St) with great food and excellent prices. We'll stay at the Hotel Helix again!

Loved It...

I don't typically write reviews, but after reading some of the previous reviews I felt it was worth putting in my two cents.

We arrived at 11:00 PM and there was plenty of helpful staff to be found (thanks Kevin and Kenny).
Check in was easy. We never had a problem getting our vehicle from valet service and the bellman was very efficent.

Up to the rooms...teenage kids in one, and my husband and I and our 7 months old in the other (right across the hall, just as we had requested). Both rooms were fun and funky. The kids had two double beds, while we got a king (just as we had requested). Our room was plenty big to accomodate the crib they brought up for us. Slept like babies all three nights!!!

Loved all the extra touches...the glasses with cute sayings, lights on a dimmer, remote controlled stereo, flat screen tv, and of course the Aveda products (but then again I am an Aveda junkie!!). The kids room actually did have bathrobes but only had a shower (which they did not seem to mind).

My husband did manage to whack his leg a couple of times on the platform bed, but I escaped with no bruises.

Everyone enjoyed their stay at Hotel Helix. We would stay here again and we would recommend this hotel to anyone considering staying here.

P.S. Washington, DC is a walking type of town; we knew this and brought comfortable shoes. Besides, there is always the Metro.

Fun! Fun! Fun!

I stayed at the Helix in April, 2004 with my 2 boys (ages 8 and 11). The staff could not have been more accomodating. Since I was travelling without my husband, I appreciated the assistance and advice offered by the friendly staff. The rooms are fun and retro. The kids loved the hip enviroment, the flat screen tv and the cd player. I loved the modern decor and the aveda toiletries. We all loved the restaurant/bar. Like the hotel, it is fun and inviting. We did have to do some walking to see the sites, but it was definitely worth it. My goal was to stay somewhere fun and different....The Helix definitely fulfilled my expectations and more!!!

We loved it!!

We loved our stay at the Helix, from the moment the big curtain (in lieu of a main lobby door!) parted for us, and we walked into a check-in unlike any we'd certainly ever seen! Chartreuse lit-from-within check-in consoles, with a pulsating red sun behind one...lightscreens with changing colors...I thought I was having a 60's flashback. It is VERY different from your average lobby. The staff was extremely nice and accomodating, and correct when they said, "wait til you see your room..."

Yes, there really are large framed Barbie and Kens. We had a great-looking chartreuse mini-bar which included things you do not see elsewhere...for example, pez...or wax lips! I should not give too much away.

There was a striped loveseat and large ottoman as shown in online photos, and it was extremely comfortable. But the king-sized bed, which at first we feared was missing, is tucked away behind very trippy curtains, and on the wall behind it, a silkscreen black and white surfing scene. We laughed, mostly, when we looked around our room. But beyond the humor of it, it was a very very nice, comfortable room, and we slept like dead things. A great shower, too.

If we could find any fault at all, I would have to say it would have been nice to have a simple cheese platter somewhere on the menu of room service or their lounge/restaurant. Sometimes you just want wine and cheese and not anything more exotic than that.

We would highly recommend the Helix and it's very pleasant and efficient staff and certainly we will be back!

Loved the Helix

by TripAdvisor Member YKPPortland_OR

Wasn't expecting much after some of the reviews. I guess you just can't please everyone. There were no "rude" staff as I was expecting (per the reviews). Everyone was friendly and helpful. We really enjoyed our 5 day stay. The room was huge (Helix Suite). Although modern is not my favorite decor, I found it very tasteful. We have 2 flat screen tv's, very comfortable bed (slept very well), a huge sectional sofa and very clean rooms. The gym is tiny (only a few cardio machines), but we got up early enough to snag one of the free YMCA passes. Loved the champagne hour. The bar had a cheap happy hour from 5-7pm (1/2 price burgers and beer). The free breakfast was much more than I expected (based on some reviews) fresh orange juice, tea, coffee, fruit, cereals and pastries. The only negatives are valet parking ($22) a day (which is common in DC), the bar gets pretty noisy (stay on one of the higher floors), there was a $50 a day deposit (refundable) for incidentals. I can't wait to try more Kimpton properties (my second property and second great experience).

More than I imagined!

by TripAdvisor Member sunshinern140

Staff great! Easy walking to bus stops and attractions. Bunk bed consists of a double bed on the bottom. Worked perfect for my two large teenage boys. Housekeeping not impressed with. Hotel otherwise clean and trendy. Careful, they charge for local calls!
Would stay again.

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

The Dupont Hotel

1500 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20036, United States

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Best Western Capitol Skyline Hotel
Latest: Apr 9, 2014
The Carlyle Suites Hotel
Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
The Melrose Hotel, Washington D.C.

Helix Hotel -A Kimpton Hotel

Hotel Helix
Kimpton Washington Dc

Address: 1430 Rhode Island Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20006, United States