Henley Park Hotel

The Henley Park Hotel
Expedia.com Priceline.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Manager is not good for his word

We stayed at the hotel for four nights. Paid over $160 for the car to be parked. My husband Is very particular about his car, keeps it in the garage, etc. No scratches. When the bell hop picked up the car for us at the end of the trip he kept trying to get as close to the cement edge of the driveway at the front door as possible. When I went outside I went around the driver's side to open the door and saw that the hubcap was stuck against the cement. When my husband came out I told him, he got in the car, pulled it straight back and could hear the scraping noise. He then decided to complain to the manager. The bellhop said he didn't do it, but I saw it myself. After much discussion with the manager Jose we were told they would submit the claim to their insurance company. His exact words were "we are responsible for the damage." Needless to say after not hearing from him for two weeks (he said four or five days) we called. Sometimes he would return the call, sometimes not. Kept saying I'll take care of it. It is now almost two months, he doesn't call back, doesn't answer his calls. The price to fix the hubcap is about $160. I guess they don't care about the bad press.

• deecat's Profile Photo

For The Feel of an English Country House...

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
    Anonymous

When Allan and I stayed in Washington, we stayed at the lovely Henley Park Hotel, an English manor-style building that is part of the National Historic Trust. Its decor is inspired by British aristocracy, & its location is directly across the street from the Cato Institute (think tank). Once we arrived, I realized that one of my ex-students worked at the Cato, so I paid him a surprise visit. He edits and writes books; he gave me one of his books, autographed. I was thrilled, & so we took him out to dinner that night.

The hotel was built in 1918 & retains most of its Tudor-style features that include a lobby with an exquisite ceiling, archways, & elegant leaded windows.

Although the rooms & bathrooms are not huge, they are more than adequate
    Two-line speaker phone with data port, minibar, hair dryer, safe, coffeemaker, turn-down service,& robes are in the rooms.

The hotel is close to the Washington Convention Center, the Smithsonian museums, and the MCI Sports Arena

There are 96 rooms & 17 suites. They do have parking, but there is a stiff fee.

We loved it at The Henley Park Hotel & felt that the service was extraordinary.

Unique Quality: What I enjoyed so much about Henley Park was its intimate style.

It has 119 gargoyles on its facade, and we were told that it was originally an apartment house.

It has a popular restaurant, a bar, and a parlor that recently received facelifts. All the guest rooms have gone through recent renovation that included new wallpaper and linens.

It's quite a romantic place with its English country house mode (Hepplewhite, Chippendale, and Queen Anne) style furniture and period beds.

On Tuesday-Thursday evenings, there is a pianist, and on weekends they have live jazz and dancing.
    Critically acclaimed Couer De Lion Restaurant, Marley's Lounge with nightly entertainment, and Wilkes Room for afternoon tea.

One of the most delightful extras is the afternoon tea served daily from 4-6 pm.
    Oh, yes, they have complimentary weekday-morning sedan service to downtown & Capitol Hill.

More about Henley Park Hotel

Nice Historic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member kibwolf

I stayed at the Henley Park Hotel on a business trip to DC. The hotel is 3-4 blocks from the Convention Center metro stop. There is a CVS pharmacy near the hotel and three small parks. The parks fill with homeless people in the evenings. The area is fairly safe although I would not recommend a single woman out walking around by herself after 10 pm. The best way to get around is via Metro. The hotel is nice for a historic hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There is a language barrier with some of the staff, but they are more than willing to help. They have afternoon tea. The rooms were clean, but small. They had free wireless internet. Overall, a good stay at the Henley Park Hotel.

The Henly Park was great!

by TripAdvisor Member esdoc

I chose this hotel from a medical conference brochure, for my wife and myself to stay near the Convention Center for the meeting. The staff was polite and caring, and our room was clean and spacious. We were delighted with the food and service in the very cozy but elegant restaurant. The location was in convenient walking distance to the the Convention Center, our friends in other hotels, and numerous fine restaurants. We're looking forward to an excuse to return to D.C. and to stay again at the Henley Park Hotel.

Couldn't have been better

by TripAdvisor Member LoveMinus0

I could not have had a better stay at the Henley Park Hotel. Room was very tasteful and all staff were very charming and helpful. With it being a boutique style property, it was much different than my past experiences in DC. It just seems like the second you walk into the doors, the craziness of DC disappears.

The restaurant was amazing, they served me gigantic crabcakes and the Waldorf salad was among the best I've ever had. The hotel was jsut perfect and was exceeded all expectations.

Excellent service and location

by TripAdvisor Member william146

My wife, 9 month old son, and I were traveling back to North Carolina from a trip to Boston for a friend's wedding. We decided that we'd book a night in D.C. and do some stuff there to extend our long weekend by a day. After checking around, my wife found an excellent rate for the Henley Park Hotel, and we booked it.

After reading some reviews on here, I was a bit skeptical and even suggested to my wife that we might want to switch hotels. I'm glad we didn't! I saw everything on here from cockroaches to bad service to unbelievably small rooms, but we encountered nothing but the best. The valet and front desk were friendly and helpful (we weren't sure how a boutique hotel would react to us having a baby with us, but they were very accommodating).

We were able to walk to all of our destinations, including Chinatown for dinner the night of our arrival (hotel is in a nice neighborhood, and Chinatown was only a few blocks away). We got up early to see as much as possible before leaving, and were able to walk to the Mall, a few Smithsonians, and around downtown and be back to the hotel by around 1pm. It was great being so close, especially since our friends got a room 10 miles outside of downtown for the same rate at a far inferior hotel just a month or so prior to our visit.

The rooms are obviously different from standard hotel rooms, but there was enough room for all of our luggage (and with a baby, there was a LOT of luggage) and porta-crib and we still had lots of space to move around. The bed was comfortable as well. There was a view of bricks and windows directly outside our window, but we weren't there for the view.

Overall, I would love to stay here for another trip to D.C. We were treated very warmly, even with our baby, and enjoyed the great location as well. I would recommend the Henley Park Hotel to anyone traveling to the D.C. area.

worst idea ever!loud construction! But bellstaff was great

by TripAdvisor Member ELU

I wanted to stay in a historic hotel,something victorian,something that felt like it had history.i came acrossed the Henley Park Hotel and their website sold me.I have worked for a historic hotel of america in the past so i had an idea of what it should be like-BUT.....when i called to change the reservation date the receptionist on the line said she would call me back because the phone she was on has too much static.reguardless-we show up check in,never told about 28$ per night fee for valet parking which actually was parked in a lot acrossed the street in a field that read 10.00$ a day anyway-the clerk hands us our keys never told us how to get to the room or where we should park or if there was a bell man or anything.the room was very small which is typical in an old building.the air conditioner hardly worked and the air was humid and sticky the whole time in the room.it smelled of mold,there was writing on the mirror in the bathroom after the steam from the shower appeared so did the statement "you r f'in sexy"in the mirror which was funny but made us wonder how often housekeeping cleans,blood stained on the comforter.O and the best part-CONSTRUCTION-the hotels looks nice from the outside until you see the entire side of the building is covered with plastic because construction is ripping apart the entire side of the hotels grounds.the noise starts around 8am and the building seriously feels like its going to collapse.front desk wasnt very helpful from checkin-just handing us the keys and not saying anything else to not telling the valet to bring the car around because she was busy gossiping with a housekeeper.the lobby of the hotel is historic and tasteful and the valet/bellmen were very helpful and willing to assist at all times.the restaurant looked nice from the lobby we never actually ate there.it seems like the kind of place you go out to eat to for dinner but never actually stay there.i was disapointed-the misleading website set the mood for the dc trip and i wished i had just stuck to a chain like a hilton or hyatt-they looked nice when we walked by them and my boyfriend just made fun of me for booking a "historic" hotel.

Excellent value

by TripAdvisor Member Archcalgary

Stayed at the Henley Park from July 18 to July 25, 2007. This heritage hotel is well located within easy walking distance of the major sites. The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms comfortable and well maintained, and a jazz piano bar is just off the lobby. You'll find some good restaurants and bars nearby including Gordon's brew pub and Capitol City.

Very Nice Historic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member potterfan99

My husband and I recently stayed at the Henley Park for a convention at the new convention center downtown. BTW the convention center is amazing. We chose the hotel because it was within walking distance of the convention center. The staff was very polite and helpful. Always making sure to greet you when you came in (it's a small lobby). Very attractive on the outside with the brick and masonry. The inside is small but well maintained and comfortably decorated. The rooms were typical hotel rooms. Clean and comfortable. The bathroom was amazingly large. Nothing fancy, but clean.

My only complaint is the noise from the street. The room itself was quiet. No real noise from the hotel itself, but the street noise was unbearable. You will need ear plugs. I don't think the hotel is planning on redoing the windows any time soon.

Hotel website was very misleading!

by TripAdvisor Member SCaron42

The website for the Henley Park is misleading. They claim they are a luxury boutique hotel. There is no luxury here. We were going to the Verizon Center so wanted to stay in the Penn Qtr neighborhood and found this hotel on a website listing hotels within 1 mile from the Verizon Ctr. First I will say the positives: The lobby and common areas are beautiful, and well maintained. The restaurant looked lovely, though empty on a Sunday night. The bed was very comfortable and the breakfast was not terribly overpriced. Now the negatives: The construction around the hotel and area was AWFUL. Even on Veterans day, which is supposed to be a holiday. The trucks and noise woke us at 5 a.m.! I see another reviewer commented about this, but we thought since it is Nov., and his review was Aug., it would not be an issue. My main complaint was not the service, though I did not use the bellman or front desk for anything, my gripe was the room. We had a suite. Large, cold looking room, NO armoire or dresser for clothing, just a stand w/ a 19" tv! In a big room, this little television on a table. Ridiculous. We paid a suite price, and no big tv in a cabinet, and no where to store your clothes. This was odd. Also the bathroom was more like a highway motel. Very unappealing and outdated, very bare bones. This hotel makes a lovely first impression when looking at their website and lobby, but lookout! There is no luxury here. Very misleading.

Bring Earplugs

by TripAdvisor Member Simon14

Very nice rooms, but small. the problem is the noise from the street. It felt as if my bed was out on the corner, could hear conversations, cars, construction, everything. Difficult to get a good nights sleep. understand this is a converted apt building, therefore the rooms are quaint and original. the front desk staff was rude when checking in. Attendent picked up the phone as I was in the middle of a question. no work out facility on site. none of the big chain amenitities, but some people like that, traveling on business it's not so good.

Hotel recommendation

by norman52

I will be going to Washington DC the first weekend of April and I was looking for a hotel recommendation. Location, location location is more important than price.
I would like to be able to walk up to 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile to see some sights and then taxi or transit to see the rest. I will have a rental car but it can stay in the garage as I hear parking is terrible.

I arrive Friday at 12:00 noon so what should I see Friday afternoon- evening, then all day Saturday (Smithsonian?) and most of the day Sunday.

Thanks for any and all replies.

by gantid

two of the best hotels that are close to many attractions are:

L'Enfant Plaza Hotel
Willard Hotel

L'Enfant plaza hotel is perfect for walking to Smithsonian, Jefferson memorial, Bureau of engraving/printing and others. You could even walk to the capital.

parking in DC is a nightmare. You are smart in trying to avoid it.

by deecat

I would say that the Henley Park Hotel would be good for you because it is close to the Smithsonian and there is parking (stiff fee).

Phone: 202-638-5200
Address: 926 Massachusetts Avenue NW

Have a great time; there is so much to see!!
Dee

RE: RE: Hotel recommendation

by YVRDave

The Hay-Adams is very well located

by apuleuis

I stayed at the Radisson Reagan National Airport hotel when I was there. It's in crystal city. It is about 2 blocks from the subway line. I chose it because of the price but it was also very nice and conveniently located. I have a tip about it also.

RE: RE: Hotel recommendation

by norman52

Thanks, it looks like L'Enfant Plaza Hotel works just fine for what I want.

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Washington Suites Georgetown

2500 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20037, United States

View all Washington D.C. hotels

Latest: Jul 11, 2014
One Washington Circle Hotel

Henley Park Hotel

Henley Park Washington Dc

Address: 926 Massachusetts Ave, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20001, United States