Holiday Inn Washington-Central/White House

IHG Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

International guests welcome

This hotel is in a very pleasant old neighborhood with nice architecture and public art in the area. We enjoyed strolling the surrounding areas and felt no qualms about safety.

The staff is very attentive and professional and we found our stay here very pleasant. The cost of hotels in Washington is high and this one seemed to be typical. The location is not far from DuPont Circle and about 6-7 blocks from the White House. It is convenient to public transportation or you can catch a taxi here virtually anytime you want. Their website has a lot of good information about the area and transportation connections and costs.

Unique Quality: Maybe all Washington hotels are geared for international visitors but this one impressed me by advertising that their staff speaks Arabic , English , French , German , Italian , Korean , Spanish , and Turkish. I did notice that a lot of folks were speaking languages other than English. In many ways this is a typical American motel but does have more services than a lot:
    Outdoor Pool (open only in warm months)
    High-speed Internet Access (for a fee)
    On-site Guest Self-Laundry facilities (washer/dryer and they are very popular so hard to find a time they are available)
    Kids Eat Free
    Dedicated Lounge (or 24 Hour Lounge)
    Iron / Ironing Board
    Coffee Maker
    Health/Fitness Center
    On-Site Hairdryer
    A/C P
    Public Areas with free coffee available pretty much round the clock
    They also have a parking lot but it is $25 per day.

• LuvMyBoxerKids's Profile Photo

Holiday Inn Central Nice Location, Nice Hotel

The Holiday Inn Central is located just East of Scott Circle on Rhode Island Avenue. The hotel features 212 guest rooms on ten floors with a rooftop pool, exersize room and game room for the kids. Early check in and late check out is available if you contact the front desk ahead of time. The restaurant is open from 6:30am to 2:00pm and again from 5pm to 10pm. There is a gift shop, valet and coin laundry at the hotel. Small pets are accepted, $100 charge and be sure to check with the hotel when booking.

We liked this hotel and would stay there again. It is located within walking distance to all of the great DC attractions and also offers Taxi service if you do not care to walk.
    Check-In Time: 3:00 PM
    Check-Out Time: 12:00 PM

Unique Quality: There was a bit of a snafu with our room when we checked in. We booked a King room and they tried to put us in a two Queen room. I refused the room since we booked in advance. But when we got to our room, it had yet to be cleaned. So we called down to the front desk and they assigned us a new room. But when we got up to the new room the card reader would not work. So we had to move to yet another room. But the third time was a charm and they even gave us complimentary breakfast at their restaurant for every morning we were there! Which really worked out well for us, we could get up, get ready, go down, eat and then head out for the day! Although the beginning was a bit rough, they hotel was nice, clean in a great location and decently priced.

Directions: The Holiday Inn Central is located just East of Scott Circle on Rhode Island Avenue.

More about Holiday Inn Washington-Central/White House

Friendly, helpful, knowledgeable staff, clean, fair price

by TripAdvisor Member carryone

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Central for 4 days during April. Upon arrival, the staff was very helpful and friendly (especially the bellman, Larry, who knew where everything was in town). Nice touch that you need a room key to ride the elevator. Room was clean and nice. Note: I booked the hotel through a .com site, which had booked me in a smoking room, a point I had not discovered until receiving my e-mail confirmation. I called the Holiday Inn reservations to change to a non-smoking room, which was accommodated. One extremely minor issue was the lack of counter space in the bathroom. The restaurant was nice--we ate a good pancake breakfast for $5.95 pp, not bad for DC. My husband enjoyed the complementary coffee every morning, too.

The hotel is located between two metro stations--DuPont Circle and McPherson Square. Maybe I'm just getting old (early 40s), but I found the late afternoon walk from the metro station to the hotel to be very challenging after walking the sites all day. By the second day, my feet and legs were sore. The walk to a restaurant for dinner nearly did me in! I would definitely say that this hotel is not in walking distance to either the White House or the Smithsonian.

Other than my walking issues (my husband didn't have any walking issues, by the way), I really did enjoy my stay at the Holiday Inn Central. I appreciate a professional staff, and this staff was great.

If I could make a recommendation about a tour in DC--we took a bike-the-sites tour of the memorials, and this had to be the best way to see the sites. If I had to walk to all of the memorials . . . well, there I go again about the walking! The pace of the bike ride was perfect, and the guide (Joss???) offered lots of insight into the monuments that most people would not be aware of visiting on their own.

All Most In Love

by TripAdvisor Member roseyakrs

The Holiday Inn Central is a beautiful hotel, very clean, friendly staff. Very comfortable beds! Our only problem was the dining room--the food was very good, but their staff could have been more prepared to deal with the public. Some seemed to speak only marginal English, they had more than a little difficulty getting the bills worked up and at times, it took quite a while to get the bill. One night they said they didn't have change, and just took our money and put it in the register. Their bellmen are a great source of information and always ready and eager to help in any way. All things considered, I would recommend it to anyone who can walk the 4 blocks to the metro or take a cab. One recommendation would be that they offer a shuttle service to the nearest metro.

Great place to stay when visiting DC

by TripAdvisor Member Jana2915

My best friend and I stayed for 4 days before Memorial Day weekend and had a wonderful time. The front desk staff was more than accomodating to our needs and the room was wonderful. It is 5 blocks from two different Metro stations and about 6 or 7 from the White House. The service in the in hotel restaurant was slow, but the food was excellent. If you stay here it's worth the walk to 17th and O Street to try the cuisines and the home-made ice cream offered in the shops around there. Overall it was one of the best hotels I've ever been in.

Never returning to WAshington DC

by TripAdvisor Member theresa3563

Hotel was clean. Rooms are ok, bathroom is small. Food wasn't that good, and the price is way to much. Watch your bill, they Tried to charge us 5 meals when there was only three of us, and then the next time they wanted to charge for kids to eat.

No resturants are close. Infact nothing is close. Horrible location. walking distance is a joke, Don't bother to ask at the front desk where resturants are, they are of no use. We walked for hour a half and found no resturants.

Don't buy any tour tickets, you spend way to much money and you still have to walk forever to get to the sight you want to go. They don't drop you off at the front door, or even close to it.

Staff is very hard to understand.

Our room on three of the days we were there, wasn't made till about 4:30 pm, I know because we returned to our rooms and it wasn't cleaned so we left again so they could clean it.

The price you pay for this motel, is way to much. I am so very disappoined with our vacation, never again will I go to the east coast.

Decent value for downtown DC

We stayed for 4 days after the July 4th weekend. The hotel was reasonably clean and the hotel staff was very friendly (especially the housekeeping gentleman who was on duty most of the evening).

Bathrooms were very small. We elected to get a small "dorm sized" refrigerator for our room for $5 per day (a Whole Foods market is only about 1 block away). We didn't visit the restaurant in the hotel.

One nice surprise was the free laundry (you just supply the detergent). This was a nice touch, but there were only two pairs of machines for the whole hotel and they were typically heavily used in the evenings.

The pool on the roof was clean and has a lifeguard (although he seemed very lazy). The kids thought swimming on the roof of a building was cool.

Parking was $25 at the hotel garage so we elected to find parking each night (after 6:30 PM) on the street surrounding the hotel. We found parking within 3 blocks each night and saved the $25. You'll need to move the car by 9 AM to avoid a ticket though.

The subway (aka The MetroRail) is about a 4-5 block hike. Gets a little far for younger children, but if you don't mind the hike, you can save lots on parking and also the headaches of driving in DC by taking the Metro everywhere.

Good value city hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Lord Throgmorton

We stayed for 3 nights in June. The reception and restaurant staff were pleasant and helpful. The room was a good size and clean. The food was average hotel fare but not over priced. The location was further out from the tourist sites than we expected but within walking distant (1 mile). However there are no restuarants nearby and in the eveings we went to Georgetown by taxi. There was a charge of $25 per night in the secure Hotel car park but this is to be expected in a city hotel.

Good and comfortable hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Nobody

The room and bathroom are relatively clean, air-con is cold and the beds are big and comfortable. Breakfast is average but they never change the menu, can be very boring after 2 days. Frontdesk staff are friendly but not the housekeeping maids, they looked straight in your face in the morning without greetings! We had trouble with the room keys (cards) and need to be replaced when we first arrived. The location is ok if you don't mind walking 4 blocks to the metro. There is a Wholefood Store, Starbucks and a chic restaurant round the block. Area is safe.

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

The Dupont Hotel

1500 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20036, United States

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Holiday Inn Washington-Central/White House

Holiday Inn Washington Dc
Washington Dc Holiday Inn
Holiday Inn Washington - Central / White House Hotel Washington Dc

Address: 1501 Rhode Island Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20005, United States