Homewood Suites Washington, DC - Downtown

Homewood Suites Washington, DC
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

• Poor management

If I could give this place 0 stars I would. I and a few others stayed at this establishment for a weekend. I clearly want to express my disappointment. The front desk, assistant manager, and other staff members including the general manager are racist and discriminate carefully. Before entering the room we were discriminated and treated with no respect. After having issues at the front desk we received a phone call from the front asking “we just saw a 2 people come in are they in your suite?” At that point I had enough and questioned the caller “are you making assumptions that they are with us? Why don’t you call every suite and ask the same question?” The assistant manager who called clearly said “I assume they are with you.” After a few minutes I discovered the individuals who had came in were in fact African American so she “assumed” they were with me. I must say I’m very disappointed in management. I called to speak to the general manager a few days later and only received a negative tone and the constant question “what are you trying to get out of this? I would assume the same thing if it was a group of people!”

More about Homewood Suites Washington, DC - Downtown

Best place to stay!

by TripAdvisor Member otismommy

My husband and I haven't been to D.C. in years and chose this hotel based on the Trip Advisor reviews. It's an excellent place for families and business people to stay. The rooms are clean, spacious and quiet. The front desk personnel and bellmen are friendly and professional. You'll also save a great deal of $ by taking in the manager's evening reception. The buffet-style meal is fresh and plentiful, and the buffet stations are promptly refilled. Wine and beer are also provided (bonus!) The hotel is within about 3 blocks of the subway station (a daylong subway pass is only $6.50), and close to some reasonably priced local hang-outs and higher end restaurants like Bobby Van's. Monuments are within easy walking distance from the hotel. We'll be sure to stay here again next time we're in D.C.

Just Simply--The Best Place To Stay!!!

My husband and I, along with our son, spent several days in Dec '04 at the Homewood Suites. We had 2 rooms for 4 days. We have traveled alot and were so impressed with this hotel that I just had to write. The remarks on this site from others were so correct and I can't recall another hotel where we have stayed that was so wonderful!
The rooms are huge--seperate bedroom and bath. The sink and huge counter are on the outside area of toilet and tub which is nice when trying to get ready for the day. The rooms are spotless, the windows open on the front side. There is a full kitchen, 2 TV's, couch, chairs. bar, 2 phones, and free internet which our son used alot. The kitchen is fully stocked with dishes, silver, glasses, cups, pots and pans. There is a VCR.
The staff are awesome, made us feel at home. The breakfast is a full meal, complete with every item. The dinner in the evening was meat, potatoes, veg, salad, bread, etc. There was no need to eat out at all!!
They have a little grocery store behind the front desk that we used for milk etc. our son was very pleased with the exercise room. The bedroom and living room and kitchen are seperate--which was nice if you wanted some privacy. The rooms are bright with lots of outside light. We used the laundry room. If we are ever in DC again we will only stay at the Homewood--it was a highlight to out trip!!

Loved the Rennaisance for the comfort more

I am at the hotel now its pretty average when compared to other hotels I stayed for one night in Rennaisance excellent hotel they say three star, Compared to this I would give it ten stars. The beds are like rock you can feel the springs piercing the body. When I arrived there was no bell man, I think they do not have one, the front desk guy alternates as bell man. When I complained about the bed they said they cannot help me as it was late? I went by the ratings on this website it looks like they are by managment rather then by visitor's, or it could be my badluck. I am hoping for a better room today I have booked the place for five nightslet see how the ordeal turns out to be.
One thing the metro is a decnt 6 to 8 large block's not 2 blocks as mentioned on some of the postings and the area gets dead after 5PM,
may be because of winter but again there is no activity within walking distance.

Great hotel and a decent location

by TripAdvisor Member gbthomas66

I stayed here for three nights on business in early January 2005. I would highly recommend staying in this hotel if you are in the DC area. It seemed to be a very new hotel (as opposed to an old one that has been renovated). The suite was spacious and the bed was quite comfortable. The staff was friendly and courteous. The free breakfast buffet was very good (hot and cold items). I did not partake in any of the evening meals, so I cannot comment on it. There are 2 subway stops within a reasonable walking distance (do not pay attention to a previous review that says 6-8 blocks, it is incorrect). The McPherson Square station (orange and blue lines) is about 3-4 blocks south (brisk 8 minute walk). The Farragut North station (red line) is about 5 blocks southwest (brisk 11 minute walk). The hotel was nice and quiet (but my room was at the very end of the hall). Nice work area with free high-speed internet access (wired). I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Felt like home!

by TripAdvisor Member FloridaCabinFever

Just returned home from 5 nights at Homewood Suites. I've been booking all my vacation hotels from research on tripadvisor and glad I do! Homewood Suites was the perfect way to end a day of sightseeing. While it can be a bit of a hike to the monuments, around town and then back again...it was a very comfortable room to stay in. The room was very clean, the employees polite and helpful and the location within acceptable status. My husband said I was trying to kill him from all the walking and we did have to grab taxis on more than one occasion. The metro is 3 blocks away and YES the blocks are the large blocks.
We took advantage of the breakfast once and the dinner 3 times. All were very good with the dining area comfortable. We went there (not knowing) during Spring Break and there were a lot of kids BUT all were well behaved. The free beer & wine during dinner probably didn't hurt with tolerating them also. We took advantage of their free grocery shopping and they have several area restaurants that deliver to your room.
All in all, a great place to stay for the quality and price. If I could afford much more, I'd stay at the Willard but until then, Homewood Suites in DC is my pick.

Great Location - Trip was fun

by TripAdvisor Member AstridWilson

My family and I stayed at the Homewood suites in March of 2005. It was Easter weekend. The hotel was conveniently located four blocks from a metro stop (McPherson square). The hotel was six blocks from the White house. Parking is difficult in Washington so the close proximity to a metro was great. We came back to the hotel every day for lunch. The full fridge made this possible. We purchased lunch foods, drinks and snacks at a grocery store also close to the hotel. The bedroom was very large. My only compliant was that the room did not have a table large enough for us to eat lunch at or play evening cards. We went down to the breakfast area and ate lunch and played cards. The breakfast area was quiet. Gas logs made it feel cozy. Kim and I actually put on our pajamas and went down one night. Breakfast was also very good. Not as good as a made to order breakfast like the embassy suites has. Oh be prepared for a $22.00/day valet parking fee if you have a car.

Washington Tips: The Capital is NOT worth the two hour wait in line for tickets. The Library of Congress behind the capitol is one of the most beautiful buildings in Washington. Well worth a short visit. The Zoo is nice for an afternoon away from the city. Tour all the monuments in the evening. They are open till close to midnight and the crowds are far less than in the day time. The FDR memorial is especially nice at night because of the many lighted waterfalls. Parking in the evening is not difficult, but almost impossible during the day.

loved this place

by TripAdvisor Member fpk1005

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in March 2005 with 2 teenage boys. The room was clean, the location great - two metro stops within walking distance - safe area. Hotel staff was great - helpful and accomadating. Room was very spacious for us and clean.The bath towels were fairly plush also!! The beds were not very comfortable but that may have been just our preference. They told us the beds were new. We were all able to sleep. Rooms have two double beds and full pull out sofa in a one bedroom suite.
The breakfast is wonderful and plentiful but is crowded. You can bring food up to your room. Also there's a full kitchen in your suite. I hope to be able to stay in a Homewood Suites again.

parking garage on premises - valet with "in/out" priviledges. Cost is $22.40/ day - very reasonable in a major city

Glorified Motel

by TripAdvisor Member SortaFussy

The suites here are simple, clean and well-kept. You get 2 tv's, kitchen with fridge, microwave and a 2-burner hotplate. A Whole Foods Market is close by for buying groceries and prepared or semi-prepared foods. As another reviewer noted, there is no table big enough for everyone to sit together.

Be warned that the atmosphere is very much a motel rather than a hotel (the bathroom sink is in the room; the bathroom feels added-on, tub feels hollow, fluorescent light bulb, etc.). I thought the rooms were stuffy. The people working here are quite nice, but not exactly professional (except for housekeeping). Not a big problem, but you should expect that.

There were no rooms ready when we arrived at check-in time, and we were asked if we wouldn't mind coming back an hour or so later. The same thing happened to my sister's family when they arrived. The desk folks were nice, but the system wasn't very organized. The front desk did accommodate my sister's request for a room change after they found that their non-smoking room on a non-smoking floor smelled like cigarette smoke.

The complimentary breakfast buffet is a plus: lots of food including meat, fresh fruit, cereal, bagels, etc. There is a free dinner time buffet Monday through Thursdays as well, which is a great deal if you are willing to feed your family fatty, salty, precooked foods like fried chicken or hot dogs and fries (there was an unappetizing salad station too, plus Bud and Bud Light on tap and big bottles of soda pop).

The location is nice, pretty close to the Metro and the White House. Because it's a downtown location, though, lots of cafes and restaurants were closed on Saturday and Sunday, at least when we were there. Overall, a good bet for bigger families, but I wouldn't stay there again.

Good city centre suite hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Loll

Good location - 5-10 minute walk to the Metro, 10-15 minutes walk to the White House. Staff are very helpful and friendly and you felt very secure in the hotel.

The rooms themselves aren't huge (compared to say Florida or Vegas) - but this is a city centre hotel and they are perfectly adequate. We had two double beds in the bedroom and a double sofa/bed in the lounge. The lounge/kitchenette is small with no dining area really. It was fine for 3 people- but more than 4 would be too cosy.

Restaurants can be a bit of a hike away (particularly on a rainy night) - but take a taxi, they aren't too expensive. Down near McPherson metro are some snack places (Subway, Au Bon Pain etc). Legal Sea Food was recommended (excellent) and we also found the Old Ebitt Grill next to the White House great and very atmospheric(and you can book both).

If we went back to Washington we would use the Homewood Suites again.

Great place to stay

I stayed at the Homewood Suites at the end of March 2005 while attending a convention. It was not one of the official hotels offered but I chose to pick my own based on Trip Advisor reviews. Check in was very easy, the room was clean and spacious. There was an iron burn mark on the rug but it wasn't a reflection on the cleanliness. The morning breakfast was plentiful as was the evening managers reception M-Th. The free internet access was a plus. The only problem we ran into was parking. Their valet parking was filled and we had to go to a different hotel's lot. They gave us a list of nearby restaurants and we found a great one right around the corner (Thai Tanic - cute name, good food). Definitely recommended especially for families.

seen from Capitolseen from Capitol

St Paul churchSt Paul church

change of guards at Tomb of the Unknownchange of guards at Tomb of the Unknown

local buslocal bus

Good or bad areas to stay in Washington DC??

by oliviasoma

Hello,
My sister and I are bringing my 7 year old granddaughter to DC this summer for a couple of weeks. I am looking for hotels with pools both in the city and at the ends of the metro system (we are driving in) so we can utilize the metro for travel around. Are there any areas that would not be safe for 2 women and a small girl to travel to lodging during the day and night..I would like to eliminate hotels in these areas. We are going to Chesapeake Bay for a week after our DC stay and have thought of staying at one of the metro ends on the east side of the city for the ease of leaving to Maryland. What do you think..your views and knowledge are greatly appreciated and considered...
O

by Sematay

Sorry that I can't provide the full rundown of areas, but I stayed in Falls Church in 2007 with my two daughters and it was safe and close to the Metro (which btw is fantastic).

We stayed at the Townsuites which didn't have a pool, but quite honestly there is so much to see in DC we returned exhausted and just wanted to sleep. It's a practical hotel for that.

by Jamesr3939

I vote for Tysons Corner or Falls Church, also. Tysons you would have to drive a short ways to the nearest station. I know there are lots of choices for places to stay and eat out by Tysons.

by Dymphna1

Also - check with your representative or senator there in DC. Often times their office can get you into places you would not other wise see.

by oliviasoma

You are right...our representatives have provided tours of the B. of Engraving, Capitol, and White House...

by letscruise

In general, the areas on the western side of town are the nicer and safer areas. The east side (in Maryland) may be closer to the Chesapeake, but that is generally the poorer and less safe area, including the metro stations there. I grew up in the MD suburbs of DC so have a lot of familiarity with that area.

Falls Church and Tysons Corner in Virginia are good suggestions with plenty of shopping and dining options. But, I'd recommend looking at the Old Town Alexandria area in Viginia, which is a very nice historic area on the riverfront and is very close to DC. Other options with Metro stations that are very close to the DC sites are Crystal City, Pentagon City, and Roslyn, all of which are in VA right across the bridge to DC. Also, there are several decent hotels in DC itself. Again, for those I'd recommend sticking to hotels in the NW part of DC, including the Georgetown, Dupont Circle or Foggy Bottom areas (DC is divided into NW, NE, SW and SE sections as indicated on the street signs -- e.g., "14th St NW").

Where are you staying at the Chesapeake Bay? Annapolis? I'd recommend a visit to the Baltimore Inner Harbor and its Aquarium if you're in that area.

by zanzooni

Tyson's corner does not have rail systems, so I would eliminate that. I agree that Old Town Alexandria would be a good bet, plus they have a free trolley that you can tour Old Town on. Check out my Alexandria, VA travel pages for more info. Plus, Old Town has a couple of dinner cruise yachts that are a nice way to see the monuments from at night. Metro goes to Alexandria. You don't state where you will be on the Chesapeake. It's a good size bay so I don't want to second guess this one. ~

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Washington Suites Georgetown

2500 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20037, United States

View all Washington D.C. hotels

Homewood Suites Washington, DC - Downtown

Homewood Washington Dc
Washington Dc Homewood Suites
Homewood Suites Washington, Dc Hotel Washington Dc

Address: 1475 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20005, United States