Hotel George - A Kimpton Hotel

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 35% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• SarahJay's Profile Photo

Far too posh for me!

I just ain't used to this sort of thing!

This was chosen by democratic vote among the convention attendees, and was somewhat above my usual budget - even with the rate negotiated by our organiser/lawyer. When I arrived, and saw she'd got us pretty much a 50% deal, I nearly fell over at the prices!

How the other half live, eh?!

Needless to say, it was very comfortable, with sweets on the pillow in the evening, and soft music pumped into your room when you least expect it.

I shared a double room, and we each had what I believe is a queen bed, very comfy. Also a desk each, and masses of wardrobe space.

The bathroom was beautiful.

There was no view except across the street, but some others could see the Capitol dome

More about Hotel George - A Kimpton Hotel

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ron504

I stayed at the Hotel George (part of the Kimpton Hotel chain) first week in April 2006 after fleeing the horrible Hyatt around the corner. The front desk staff at the Hotel George was very pleasant and helpful. I expressed I needed a quiet room to get a much needed rest from the Hyatt. The staff accommidated me very well. The complimentary high speed internet, complimentary wine, and recently updated workout facility was very nice. The hotel is very close, within five minutes walking distance to Union Station and about 15 minutes to The Hill. The restaurant is pricey but quite good. I definately will stay there again and am now interested in the Kimpton chain.

Contemporary and Comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member thejoyciecat

We stayed at the Hotel George during the first weekend in November. It is a little over a block from Union Station and the walk to the Capitol/Mall was quite lovely in the autumn weather.

The hotel has early check-in, extremely helpful staff, and the most comfortable king-sized bed with feather pillows. The room was very clean with a trendy design and I really did like the separate shower.

The housekeeping seems to come in a lot (even in the evenings!) so I recommend putting the "Do Not Disturb" sign on.

Also, walking on E Street in the nighttime was really shady. We got around in the night by taxi or by Metro.

In all, I highly recommend the Hotel George!

One of the best in DC

by TripAdvisor Member voll002

I stayed at the George in September, and couldn't have been happier.

Great location, large room (thanks to free Kimpton In-Touch Loyalty program upgrade) with plasma TV and other modern accoutrements, and most importantly: staff were extremely helpful, friendly, and courteous.

The last thing a weary traveller wants to deal with is a snotty hotel clerk. But you would never find this at the Hotel George.

The only thing that could be improved upon at all is a larger room service menu. But for people who are Kimpton fans, it is no different than other Kimptons.

Nice Touches for Kimpton Customers

Was in DC for business and enjoyed my stay at Hotel George (a boutique hotel). I stayed at Hotel Monaco last time (a sister hotel), and I would highly recommend both these hotels! Sign up for their Kimpton Customer Loyalty program -- I got a nice "welcome back" note with an apple and candy bar for my first night. Turn-down service was good. Free internet is always great. Bath was very well-done -- shower was fabulous with lots of water pressure, separate bathtub I actually took at bath in, and a speaker to hear the TV while in the bathroom. Hotel was more than just 1 block away from Union Station as advertised, but it was a nice walk and I did not feel afraid to go by myself. Umbrella in room a NICE touch! I never could find the billards room, but it wasn't important to me anyway (just curious). Someone stole my newspaper one day, but conceirge apologized and gave me another. Thanks to the staff for making my stay enjoyable!

George lives up to Kimpton's rep - almost.

by TripAdvisor Member dwldds

This is the second Kimpton Hotel that I stayed in, and generally did not disappont. The lobby was cute and classy, but not quite as swanky as some. The restaurant is fabulous, and the amenities are decent.

As far as the room goes, furnishings were typically Kimpton, the bathrobes were some ridiculous leopard skin pattern, but I guess that's the swank. The room was very spacious, and lighting comfortable. The bathroom was equally spacious, but there was no tub. The large marble counter in the bathroom was nice, but a broken soap dish reflected the less than impeccable care that may be more the rule than the exception at the George. A non-functioning ice machine was fixed only after I mentioned the problem to the front desk. And as far as views, there really isn't one at the George. Though only steps away, it does not overlook Capitol Hill, and the office buildings along the street are really nothing much to look at.

Still, the accommodations were comfortable and classy.

The location was not quite what I expected. I thought we'd be closer to things, and indeed DC is not exactly a sprawling city. But being next to Capitol Hill meant that most shops and restaurants were quite a ways away. Through no fault of Kimpton (except their choice of location) I think I'd consider finding a hotel closer to the more happening parts of town next time.

The most comfortable bed I have ever slept in...

A great little boutique hotel with wonderful service but the beds were BY FAR the best thing about this place. The bed linens, the pillows, the duvet --- everything was so plush, soft and clean I literally could have spent an entire day just sleeping!

In love

My husband and I stayed at the George the weekend of July 22nd, and it was nothing less than luxurious! Every member of the staff including the maids were exceptionally polite and went out of their way to please us. Our room was gorgeous and the beds were heavenly! Plus we got a special weekend rate. We couldn't ask for more.

A great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Norfolktravellers

We stayed here for 2 nights at the start of our holiday - what a great way to start! Check in was quick and efficient - the bell hop took our luggage and met us at our room. He explained everything - how to dim the lights to how the TV worked - very good.

The room was large, bright and clean - the beds were huge and comfortable. The bathroom was large and luxurious - the shower was huge. The complimentary Herschey chocolates were a bonus.

The location was close to Union Station - which has got a good shopping and dining area. If you turn right outside the hotel is an area we avoided, as there always seemed to be groups of pan handlers - they were not threatening, but they did come up to you - this was a couple of blocks away.

Within walking distance to Congress and the city - but well worth taking the Red Tour Bus from Union Station.

We would stay here again.

a beautiful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member nsquare

We stayed here for 3 nights over the Christmas break. I have nothing but compliments for this hotel. Two blocks from Union Station. Great rooms with two Queen beds..hard to find! Beds are the most comfortable I have ever slept in. I liked the robes in the romm so much I orderd one! The bathroom is very nicely done. balck and marble with a very large shower and tub.
Loved the free internet access in the room and complimentary wine in lobby during late afternoon. Friendly staff, room service was so good, even have a turn down service. I think that's a nice touch.
A fun little pub around the corner from the hotel called the Dubliner was so good we ate there twice for dinner.
I would come here again. only down side, we were on the second floor and you could hear traffic, I'd request a higher level next time.

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel George?

by calisally44

I'm heading to DC in early May for fiances surprise 30th Bday ... I have room at Westin Grand but am second guessing it. I'm looking at Hotel George..has anyone stayed at the Hotel George?

What i want? GREAT LOCATION!! Close to metro and in walking distance to some toursity attractions, A nice restaraunt would be a plus or in area w/ lots of good eats. In the $$250-280 max range.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Has anyone stayed at the Hotel George?

by OiKnow

I stayed at the Hotel George a couple of years ago. It is less then a 10 minute walk from Union Station (Metro station) and there is another Metro station west of there toward the National Bulding Museum. The hotel was very nice. The rooms are very comfortable, nicely appointed and the service was perfect. The hotel has a very nice bar, I did not try the restaurant. It is a 10 minute walk to the Capital and Supreme Court. It is near the east end of the Mall. There are several nice restaurants nearby, a couple in Union Station, and others scatered around. The neighbbors are primarily office buildings, and they tend to empty out at night.

I would go back without hesitation.

David

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

The Dupont Hotel

1500 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20036, United States

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Grand Hyatt Washington
Best Western Capitol Skyline Hotel
Latest: Apr 9, 2014
The Carlyle Suites Hotel
The Melrose Hotel, Washington D.C.
One Washington Circle Hotel

Hotel George - A Kimpton Hotel

Kimpton Washington Dc
Hotel George Kimpton

Address: 15 East Street NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20001, United States