Hotel Monticello

Hotels.com Travelocity Expedia.com

More about Hotel Monticello

Home away from home

by TripAdvisor Member trips12345567

The Hotel Monticello in Georgetown is a great place to stay while visiting Washington DC. The hotel is half a block off the main street in Georgetown with numerous restaurants and shops to enjoy. The hotel is also a short 10 minute walk away from the Metro which takes you to all the sites in Washington (White House, Smithsonian museums, Zoo) or the convention center for your conference.

Okay, great location is one thing, but what about the hotel? Hotel Monticello is a small boutique hotel, probably around six rooms per floor, and is very clean, great service, and quiet. I stayed in the basic room and had a seating room with two couches, a tv, a refridgerator, and a microwave (great for leftovers from all the restaurants), a nice bathroom, big bedroom, and an area to set up my laptop for work. The multiple room set up made it feel like home away from home. And they had umbrellas to save us from the torrential rain.

The next time I go to Washinton DC, I will definitely stay at the Hotel Monticello.

Very Nice

by TripAdvisor Member kc8224

Our family (mom, dad, and two kids) stayed at the Hotel Monticello for 3 nights the first week in June 06. We found this hotel to be very clean with updated furnishings and a prompt and courteous staff. We did not have a car but did not find this to be a problem with the Circulator Bus and Metro Transfer (Blue) Bus Stop just down the street. We were pleased that there were not many kids running around in the hotel while we were there. We had just come from a large family oriented hotel where we stayed the first part of the trip to DC and this was a welcomed change. I would highly recommend the Hotel Monticello to anyone looking to stay in the Georgetown area.

Great Location, Super Service

Great location in Georgetown, the valet parking was very prompt and friendly, and the hotel staff was anxious to fulfill any request. I would recommend the Monticello to anyone.

Terrific Boutique Hotel

Stayed three nights in a king suite with sofabed in sitting room. Clean, recently remodeled. Room safe fits laptop; two television sets; small refrigerator and microwave to store and heat food; coffee pot; morning pastries and juice complimentary. Best location (Georgetown) on a quiet street off "M" Street. Great shopping and eating right around the corner. Close to Georgetown and George Washington Universities; near bus stops, but not metro stop. Two blocks from the Potomac. Highly recommend this hotel. Friendly service.

Great short break

by TripAdvisor Member moushy

This is a fantastic boutique hotel in the perfect location. Our room was very large with a separate lounge area. It was also extremely clean. The staff on reception were excellent - they were helpful and attentive and went that extra mile to help. The only slight negative on this hotel is the 'breakfast' which consists of a few stray croissants left lying on a desk in the lobby area (there isn't even anywhere to sit and eat). However, don't let this put you off. You have the whole of Georgetown to choose from for breakfast / lunch / dinner and it's right on your doorstep.

Disappoined

by TripAdvisor Member ETSU

My selection of this hotel was based on the positive reviews I had read on Trip Advisor. My stay was not as positive. We were not given the room that we had reserved until a day later. We had to wait several hours (past 4:30 p.m.) to check in. The room, when we finally got it, was nice, clean and comfortable. When we requested extra towels from the maid, only 2 sets of towels were left. There were four of us in the room. We called the front desk for more towels and the stack they delivered included a greasy stained towel, 2 bathmats. The attitude of the front desk staff and the manager were very arrogant. I think they could have cared less if you stayed in their establishment. I would not stay there again. The location was very convenient, however.

Please Read Before Going

by TripAdvisor Member Taglio

Hello everybody, I am a 25 year old who visited D.C. with my father between October 25th and 28th of 2006. I read many favorable reviews discussing this hotel and decided to book it even though I had more convenient and economical possibilities available. I have mixed feeling about this hotel which I will elaborate on.

ROOM: B+/A-. The best feature of the hotel. We got a room with two double beds for a pricey $289 per night. The room is spacious and bright from natural sunlight. It was clean and housekeeping did an exceptional job keeping it so. There was a large, hygenic bathroom area, with beautiful floors and walls and a small work desk. The TV was rather small ( I have the exact same model RCA in my room) but fully functioning.

LOCATION: B+ (A+ if you love shopping). The Monticello is located in a rather posh neighborhood near a very busy commercial street. There are tons of boutiques, stores and restauraunts to explore. You can find virtually anything on these roads, from high-end shopping (Benetton, SAKS Fifth, Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein) to more mainstream stores (Abercrombie, American Eagle, GAP) as well as plenty of franchises with more eccentric products (I counted three palm readers on this road). A large mall (called "The Shops") is also present on Wisconsin Avenue. The road reminded me of Via Del Corso in Rome or the commercial district in Paris. Beautiful stores and beautiful people walking around. The people are quite posh and well dressed, but polite. Although D.C. is notorious for its crime, I never felt threatened or uncomfortable, even walking around alone at 2 or 3 a.m. The restaurants are fabulous and reasonably priced (there is an excellent italian restaurant named Fino very nearby). To get to the historic and sightseeing portion of D.C. you can take a cab ride (roughly 12-20 bucks) or a combination of buses (for $1.25 a ride). A sight seeing trolley is also available on Wisconsin Avenue, but ridiculously expensive at 40 dollars a person. I preferred to ride the same route on a public bus and read about the trivia through other sources.

HOTEL AMENITIES AND SERVICE C+/B-. The Monticello is located in an area where virtually everything is at hand. That being said, the Monticello offers exceptionally little in the hotel itself. There is no dining hall in the hotel. They offer a complimentary breakfast, but this consists of a coffee machine and an o.j. dispensor, as well as croissants and pastries, all in the space of an average sized closet. You are supposed to take whatever breakfast items you want, then take them outside or to your room to eat, due to the lack of any sort of table. There is basically nothing else in the hotel itself to entertain you. It's similar to living in a classy apartment building rather than a hotel. They offer a small room with a computer than you are free to use, but the computer has dreadfully slow and rather frustrating internet access.
The service was another weak point. Upon arrival, I was informed that they did not have my room ready. It took a good 15, 20 minutes to get it ready. I wouldn't mind so much if this was a Motel 6, but if I'm paying almost 300 bucks a night, and since I reserved my room at least two months prior, you should have my room ready. The employees were mostly very courteous. There was a female front desk clerk however, who was quite rude in a scenario which I will not extrapolate on here.

I really hope this review could be of any help. If anybody has any pressing questions about the hotel, please feel free to email me. I will try to respond as best I can. Overall, the Monticello is a hotel with beautiful rooms, and it is located in a fun part of town. The service for the most part is excellent. It is probably too expensive for the services offerred, but most people who go will enjoy their stay. It's a safe choice; you will NOT go wrong with it, but it might not be the best choice either. You might want to stay at a Holiday Inn on Wisconsin Avenue for a cheaper stay in the same area.

Happy traveling, Matt.

Perfectly situated hotel

by TripAdvisor Member MAC101

I had the opportunity to visit DC for the first time and via Tripadvisor we made our choice to stay at the Monticello Hotel in Georgetown. As in previous reviews it's location is great. Just off the main shopping streets this is quiet and yet covenient. The staff were friendly and the room did not disappoint in terms of furniture, bed and cleanliness. We managed to get a rate of just 140 dollars per night for a Friday and Saturday stay.

With excellent shopping and eating nearby I will certainly be staying there on my next visit to Washington.

Be wary

by TripAdvisor Member Struditor

My wife and I had stayed at the Monticello two years ago and enjoyed every minute of our stay. The hotel itself is still the perfectly located, nicely appointed place it was then. The only problem with this beautifully redone old building is that the windows are single pane so if you have a street side room, it's going to be noisy in the morning.
The problems we had this time involve the way the hotel is being run. First, the hotel's parking garage is now valet parking only and when I was informed of this I was given a parking receipt with $28 written on it. When I asked if that amount was for the two days of our stay, the attendant said yes. That was a lie; they charged me $28 per day. Second, it turns out there was a continental breakfast. We accidentally discovered this as we were checking out because the desk never told us it was available. Third, the bill was slid under our door the morning we checked out and was correct (parking accepted) but when I was offered the charge card receipt for my signature, I noticed the desk had added an extra night to the bill.
When I complained of these problems the desk told me that the general manager's name was Robert Seuter and they provided me with his e-mail address. Unfortunately, after three tries in as many weeks, Mr. Seuter hasn't answered his e-mail. So enjoy your stay, but pay attention.

Good Stay

by TripAdvisor Member mabel53

This is a lovely, quiet, clean, well-appointed hotel on a side street right off of M Street in Georgetown. The room (a junior suite) was large with two sofas, a microwave, sink, refrigerator and bar in the living area. The bedroom was separated by a set of French doors. Very well-equipped: safe holds a laptop and there was a small bottle of wine, two bottles of fizzy water and a package of dried fruits and nuts on the house. The staff was very friendly. I got a good weekend rate of 129.00 which included a continental breakfast that looked good but I didn't try. I did not drive, so I can't report on the parking situation but Georgetown is a tough place to park a car.

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Washington Suites Georgetown

2500 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20037, United States

View all Washington D.C. hotels

Latest: Jul 1, 2014

Hotel Monticello

Monticello Hotel Washington Dc
Monticello Washington Dc

Address: 1075 Thomas Jefferson Street NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20007, United States