Hotel Palomar Washington, DC - A Kimpton Hotel

Hotels.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• SUSAMY's Profile Photo

Great hotel!

We had a great stay at the Radisson near Dupont Circle. What a great area. Easy to get to, comfortable neighborhood, nice hotel. Highly recommend it!

Unique Quality: Large rooms.

Directions: Dupont Circle, kind of near Georgetown

More about Hotel Palomar Washington, DC - A Kimpton Hotel

Good Value - Overall

by TripAdvisor Member TravelGirl0716

We just stayed five nights at the Hotel Palomar. Check in went smoothly, and the price for a suite was $125.00 less per night than their sister - the Hotel Monaco - at which we have also stayed.

The Dupont Circle neighborhood is a great place to stay with lots of good restaurants, cute shops, beautiful mansions and a Metro stop within a five minute walk. Try Al Tiramisu for authentic Nothern Italian fare.

Our suite was spacious and in a quiet location per my request. The jetted soaking tub did fit two people, but I doubt the designers ever sat in it! It was a bit uncomfortable, and hard to get in and out of (even for two young and fit people). The shower, though, was great and had lots of hot water.

My biggest disappointment had to do with the housekeeping staff. Twice, while trying to take a mid-afternoon rest, the "room inspector" and/or housekeeping staff went up and down the hallway slamming every door as they went in and out of the rooms. The hallway of the seventh floor seeemed never to be vacuumed, and the debris on the carpet got worse as our stay went on. The elevators could also use some cleaning.

The staff was very nice, and most of the time sent us to good restaurants (DO NOT eat at the Polo Club of India). The wine hour is nice to take advantage of while purusing your guidebook, but the "appetizers" were terrible.

Breakfast at the adjacent restaurant was a dissapointment, but there are a few other places nearby to eat (ask the staff for directions to the bookstore with the cafe - what a great breakfast!)

hip and comfy

by TripAdvisor Member mmkildy

yes, the Palomar does try very hard at hipness. Wine happy hour, edgy bathroom sinks, zebra-and-leopard pattern bathrobes. The guests are invariably people -in-black wannabes.
But we thought it all worked--the hotel does feel different and fun. You can take or leave the attitude.
The location near Dupont Circle and the Metro is reasonably good. The nearby blocks have plenty of ethnic restaurants. The staff, we found, was friendly and attentive. When we left for a few days and returned, we found a note welcoming us back. A little over the top--but, hey, they're trying.
It can be a party-hearty place--something another review brought up. We had a hallway reveler long past midnight. The hotel room doors slam shut noisily, meaning a late night for another guest can be heard several rooms away,

Great place to host a party!

by TripAdvisor Member TXbound-VA

My husband and I chose the Palomar to celebrate our 25th anniversary. They took care of everything so all we had to do was show up and have a good time. The Phillips Ballroom was perfect size for the 60 or so guests. The food was superb---the catering staff helped me put together a menu that our guests are still raving about.
Our nine member family stayed four days and every one of the individual rooms was furnished in a fun, modern, artsy motif. My husband and I had a suite complete with Fuji tub. Lots of room for family gatherings and plenty of places for everyone to sit! The location was terrific for individual outings to local attractions and cab and Metro make getting around easy. We parked our car in valet parking and didn't need it the entire time. Several guests also stayed over the night of the party for a very reasonable rate.

What I liked best about Hotel Palomar: service and atmosphere. The staff is attentive, courteous, and the hotel is new, so everything is fresh and vibrant. The temperature was a bit warm in the room, but with several 70 degree December days, we just turned the heat off. The “fur” blankets in each room were just enough at night. You can sit in the living room for quiet time reading, or enjoy the social scene right in the hotel. We enjoyed the afternoon wine tastings and morning coffee (all of which are free).

The prices are very reasonable. We would definitely stay again for a weekend getaway and highly recommend the hotel for a party, either corporate or private.

Hotel itself is fantastic! The restaurant has some service issues

Washington DC during the holidays is a great place to visit - it's not as crowded and the weather wasn't a problem. Best of all, I was able to treat my in-laws to a wonderful 3 day stay at the Hotel Palomar for a great price!

The hotel staff were very welcoming and they upgraded both rooms to executive kings (I'm a kimpton intouch member so that probably helped) and the hotel manager even left a nice welcoming note, handwritten no less! The rooms were huge and absolutely spotless and we had evening turndown service in addition to daily housekeeping. The views were mediocre at best - our room overlooked some office buildings - but it was absolutely quiet at night so I had no problems sleeping. The room A/C and heating worked very well and were also very quiet so I could leave either on at night and not be bothered by fan noise. Besides, I didn't care about the view as I was out sightseeing all day.

While the hotel was fantastic, their restaurant, Urbana, has some minor service kinks to work out - basically the service is on the slow side. One morning, I waited 15 minutes before getting my drink even though the restaurant was completely empty except for my table and one other. The following night, my husband and I again waited at least 15 minutes to be served and then the waitress got my husband's drink order completely wrong. He asked for a glass of sweet dessert wine and she gave him grappa instead!

Another great Kimpton property!

by TripAdvisor Member JG166

I've stayed at Kimptons before and had a GREAT deal because this was a new hotel. They even upgraded my room.

The room was fantastic (I love the Kimptons!) and so was the restaurant. It has a nice workout facility too (cardio equipment and free weights). They also have the usual selection of Kimpton yoga videos and equipment available to use in your room.

The hotel is just a brief walk to the Dupont Circle Metro station, so it's easy to get around the city.

The business facilities were my only frustration. They have free wireless, but mine wasn't working. They had no option for using a dial up modem. My only choice was to use the business center internet at a high cost. I also had trouble with my cell phone reception in my room.

Too cool for DC!

by TripAdvisor Member MonroeME

This place is too cool for stuffy DC, but that gives me a reason to return to DC again! I don't fully understand the art theme, but it is refreshing to see something other than old-world stuffiness or standard chain decor that you find in the rest of the city.

The decor is great, and our room was collosal! We ordered in-room massages (you can do this online before you arrive!) and there was plenty of space for my wife and I to have our massages at the same time. New Year's day we just lounged around in our animal-print robes -- too comfy to get out of them.

Room service and the restaurant were pricey, but don't miss the rabbitt entree at Urbana. Gourmet game with an Italian twist. Delicious!

We have stayed at a dozen Kimpton hotels across the country, and this is our favorite so far.

Great Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Germantravels

We just got back from staying at the Palomar for our anniv. trip and we loved it. The hotel rooms were fun and very clean. We were on the 10th floor and it was very quiet. The staff were very friendly and helpful.
The location of this hotel is great since it is just a few blocks to the metro. You have easy access to the entire city.
This hotel is a wonderful choice for anyone who travels to DC.

Love, Love, Loved Hotel Palomar!!

by TripAdvisor Member withni

I can't say enough about Hotel Palomar. I stayed in a "motion room" which included an elliptical trainer and yoga mat. As a frequent business traveler it was the most convenient trip I've ever experienced. I rolled out of bed and walked across the room for my workout! The room was impeccably decorated and the service was fabulous. Room service was always delivered withn 30 minutes or less, and the free wine reception every night wasn't bad either! Each night I would return to my room with my bed turned down and a cute peice of artwork on my pillow. I felt like the staff was at my beck and call and always made sure I was happy. I will stay at Palomar every time I visit DC!

A nice place to stay, loved the animal prints!

by TripAdvisor Member dc_every2wks

It was my first stay at a Kimpton property, and I have to say, I loved it! The room I was given was a large room with 2 queen beds. There were 2 robes in the closet, a leopard print robe (Large) and a zebra print robe (XL). There is an alarm clock that allows you to plug in your iPod, which was real convenient as you can wake up to either your iPod, the radio, or a buzzer. The room comes with a DVD player, and there are 2 phones in the room, one of which is a cordless phone. If you have a laptop, there's free internet access in your room, and the tabletop has plugs for your electronic needs so there’s no annoying bumping of the head under the table.

The bed was comfortable, the tables between the beds light on and serve well as night lights. The bathroom was nice and modern, the sink was the perfect height for me, although the bathtub was a bit shallow for my taste.

Service was pretty inconsistent. I had turndown one night only, even though I stayed 2 nights. My friend's room was never turned down, although she did receive chocolates (I didn't, but I don't care for chocolates anyway). I asked for a sewing kit 2 days in a row, but never received a one. I didn't bother calling to request again, as if they forgot again, I would not have been a happy camper. Plus, I was checking out in the morning.

The only service that was consistent was this one doorman who always managed to get a cab for us, no matter the weather (we were there during the snowy days), one time even standing out there for what felt like at least ½ an hour in the freezing cold. This lone doorman was too cool for words, and was a Godsend for us during our trip.

Before staying at the Palomar, I thought the others were a little too critical of the check-in staff, but they are as reported - too cool to care. I call it lazy. I had signed up for the Kimpton hotel program, but the check-in clerk wasn't too keen to search for my member number, even though there was no one else checking in. I had to prod check-in to look for my number, and after lame excuses like the computer's not working (funny, you were able to check me in with the same computer just 5 seconds ago), finally relented, albeit begrudgingly.

While we never attended the complimentary wine hour, we did walk in on it, and it seemed to be a bustling hour for the Palomar, with many people milling about, drinking and eating. Everyone seemed to be having a grand ol’ time. I will be sure to attend a wine hour the next time I stay here.

All in all, now that I know the service of the hotel and what to expect, I would stay there again. The problems, while minor to me, may be a breaking point to someone else, which is why I mention it. I know it was a breaking point for my friend, who expected more of a boutique hotel that prides itself in catering to business women (us!) on the road.

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Washington Suites Georgetown

2500 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20037, United States

View all Washington D.C. hotels

Capital Hilton
One Washington Circle Hotel

Hotel Palomar Washington, DC - A Kimpton Hotel

Kimpton Washington Dc

Address: 2121 P Street NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20037, United States