Howard Johnson Express

Howard Johnson Inn Washington DC
Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Washington D.C.

museummuseum

Kermit the FrogKermit the Frog

elephant at National Zooelephant at National Zoo

Korea memorialKorea memorial

Eat, See, Visit

by princessofnot

Will be arriving in D.C. via rail in early December and will have approx. 6 hours between trains. Would love to be able to try some local favorite, speciality eateries and perhaps visit a local attraction. Need ADA accessable as fellow traveler is wheelchair bound. Any suggestions fellow VT'ers ??

Re: Eat, See, Visit

by mccalpin

I don't know which 6 hours you'll have free, but I see that Greyline runs 3 tours a day of 2 hours direction that run around town - see http://www.grayline.com/Grayline/destinations/us/washingtondc.go?mode=activityDetail&apid=3740&sid=487&

Between a 2 hour drive around and someplace to eat, you should be able to see stuff and kill time all at the same time.

Sorry, I don't know about ADA, but I assume that Greyline has plenty of experience with that and can answer your questions quickly.

In terms of eateries, I've eaten in a number of places, but because I eat out so much, few of them stick in my mind :-(

Please note that the various museums on the Mall are likely to have cafeterias, so seeing a museum or two and eating in one of them is quite doable (although they can get crowded)...for example, last Thanksgiving we saw an Etruscan exhibit at the National Gallery or Museum of Art on the northeast corner of the Mall (more or less directly across from the Smithsonian Castle) and by eating just a shade early (11 or 11:30 or so), we had no problem getting in and eating at a table by the windows...

Bill

Travel Tips for Washington D.C.

stealing a motif

by richiecdisc

Though there are many stunning buildings and monuments, the one dedicated to Abraham Lincoln is perhaps the most so. Just thinking of Martin Luther King Jr. giving his "I have a dream" speech on its steps raises the hair on my neck. I am not big on stealing motifs for photos but on paging through a library-borrowed copy of the DC edition of The Lonely Planet, I noticed a fascinating shot of the Lincoln Monument. It was taken in perfect light and in the foreground of the foreboding statue of the seated writer of the Emancipation Proclamation was a janitor mopping the floor. What made the image so powerful was that the janitor was black. Here was a monument to the man who freed the slaves and a black man doing what is generally considered one of the lower rung jobs in the United States. It was striking and I imagined how lucky this photographer was to capture it.

On my first day in DC, I oriented myself to see which buildings and monuments would be best at dawn and which at dusk, something I do quite by nature without even thinking. I love glowing light and am quite content to let the capture of it completely control my vacations. My wife is a good sport and has come to realize that as hard as it is to drag yourself out of bed early while on holiday, especially on a cold autumn morning, it really is worth it. She loves the light and even more, loves how empty places are at that hour. After all, who wants to get out of bed that early if they don't have to. Most don't and we are left with stunning vistas mostly to ourselves. (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

Thank you , Japan!

by Confucius

There is really no better season to visit Washington DC than cherry blossom time. The first trees were a gift from Japan, where cherry blossom viewing is an annual national pastime every spring.
The ideal place to see cherry blossoms in Washington DC is along the Tidal Basin looking across toward the Jefferson Memorial. The best thing about cherry blossom time is the overall atmosphere of socializing as well as relaxation. It's great to see people in such a festive mood, one could say it is almost like being in Daytona Beach during spring break. Yet there are also quiet corners for silent reflection, so it suits all personalities.

I was hugging young college coeds that I didn't know and posing for pictures with people from places I never heard of. (Of course wearing my "sharp dressed man" Italian suit helps grab even more attention.)

Cherry blossom time is always among the fondest memories for anybody who has lived in the Washington DC area and it will be the highlight of your visit if you plan your capital vacation accordingly.

The Smithsonian Institution

by seagoingJLW

The old "Castle" is now a visitors center. Stop here fist to find out about all the museums and what they have to offer.

This is the original Smithsonian Building, completed in 1855. It was designed by James Renwick.

The information center is open daily from 9:00 am to 5:30 pm. It features two orientation theaters as well as interactive information components.

I know that sometimes it is...

by AusChris26

I know that sometimes it is hard to do, but try and get to go inside of the 'White House' It is smaller than you think it is, but you can feel the history oozing out of the place. Plus being a huge West Wing fan, I can say. 'I've been there!' I spent 3 days in Washington D.C.. And I will say that they are still the best 3 days of my life... I did and saw everything I could while there. And even wanted to stay and live... It was one of those places that you find yourself looking out the back window of the car as you drive away, until you cant see it anymore... I did, and still do, love the place!

The Wall... Just the site of...

by ladyfisher

The Wall... Just the site of it is imposing. It will bring tears to your eye's . Getting to see the Marine slient drill team proform. This team is amazing. If you ever has the chance take in the show, they proform during the summer near the staue of the landing at Killamingero.

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

The Dupont Hotel

1500 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20036, United States

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Allen Lee Hotel
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
Hotel Rouge - A Kimpton Hotel
Embassy Suites Hotel Washington, DC
The District Washington D.C.
Latest: Apr 10, 2014
The Eldon Luxury Suites
Latest: Apr 10, 2014
Mandarin Oriental Washington DC
Hotel Monaco Washington, DC - A Kimpton Hotel

Howard Johnson Express

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Washington Hotel Washington Dc

Address: 600 New York Avenue NE, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20002, United States