Ivy Mansion at Dupont Circle

21st & R Street NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20009, United States

More about Washington D.C.

Cherry blossoms at the White HouseCherry blossoms at the White House

National Gallery of Art Sculpture GardenNational Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden

National Gallery of Art -fountainNational Gallery of Art -fountain

pasta at Sports Tavernpasta at Sports Tavern

Accommodation / Tourist Attractions

by PocketRocket

My partner and I are going to be in Washington for 2 days in December. The only things we are planning to see are the Whitehouse and the Air and Space museme. To see these two things, how much time do we need? Can we see them in one day and spend a few hours at each, or will we need about a day at each?

At this stage we are arriving late evening from New York via bus. Which is the best company to take the bus from New York to Washington? Greyhound is what I am looking at so far.

Also as we will most likely be flying out of Reagan Airport at 6:30am so we were thinking that for the 2-3 nights we are staying in washington, we would stay at an airport hotel near a metro station and catch the train to and from the museme district. Is this a good idea? We hear that taxi's are quite expensive in washington, so staying near the airport the night before we fly out seems preferable at this stage, however we are open to suggestions.

Lisa

by Agraichen

Tough question as I've spend days at both and not seen all of it. yes, you can do a speed walk and do A&S in less than a day. Whitehouse rules have changed since I was working there so better check on tickets and special events.

Metro idea should work. I don't know about the early morning hour, but I've used the Metro many times staying in Chrystal City and at Metro Center.

by PocketRocket

Thanks for your response. Crystal City is so far looking like the best option. Where all the hotels are located, how far is the metro? I can see that there is one at the airport but there doesn't seem to be one right near the hotels???

by travelmad478

Your hotel/transit idea is a good one. Use Google Maps to look at Crystal City--the metro stop is marked on there: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=crystal+city+virginia&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=49.624204,79.013672&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Crystal+City&ll=38.855483,-77.050724&spn=0.024029,0.038581&z=15

I'm a little stunned that you would ONLY want to see the White House and the Air and Space museum in DC. The city has a tremendous wealth of museums, parks, historic sites, restaurants, etc. You're really doing yourself a disservice if you assume that there are only two things worth visiting. You can easily do both of them in a day (assuming that you can secure White House tickets). I would strongly encourage you to do some more research for the second day, so that you can get more out of this great city.

As for buses, you can look at Bolt Bus and Megabus in addition to Greyhound.

by davhu1

You can spent one day in both places, 1/2 day each. White House tickets now are give thru the congressman's office. Request at least 6 months in advance. Since you are coming from overseas, you need to find residents here to get for you.

There are other bus companies that are cheaper: Boltbus and Megabus. A bunch of Chinatown buses but I would not recommend them.

Crystal City probably work out best for you. Lot of hotels there. Week days Metro opens by 5:00 am. Some hotels have free shuttle to the airport,

by PocketRocket

Thanks everyone for the help. The itinery is pretty much set now, and we are fortunate enough that we do have a friend who lives in DC who has also been as helpful as everyone from VT.

Travel Tips for Washington D.C.

Family

by cjg1

I come here oftern, although some would say not often enough, because I have family in the city. This year has been good to me and I have at least recently been here a couple of times in the past month.

It is quite fun to be able to walk into shops and talk to people who know of what or whom I am speaking.

I will always come back here and enjoy each trip I take to this town.

Post Office Pavilion

by bugalugs

There are bells which apparently still work in the tower of the post office pavilion, although I actually dont know whether they still get used or not. If you go up in the lift to the top of the observatory you wont see them, but have to walk up the stairs and you can them see them through a glass window.

The photo is a bit dark though.

As an American I think it is...

by Ricardo_J_M

As an American I think it is very important to visit 'OUR' buildings. Every federal building encorporated within this small vicinity has great meaning. It brought out the patriotism in me. I must say the fondest memory of Washington is and probably always will be sleeping in the Airport.

There is something for...

by Dodin

There is something for everyone. For those of you into the american history and government, the White House, The Capitol, The National Archives, all in Downtown and within walking distance of each other are a must. For those into the culture and the arts, the are the National Gallery, the Smithsonian Museums, the Hirschorn Museum, etc. For dinner and nighlife, the area near the MCI center Downtown, Dupont Circle area, and Adams Morgan area, all offer good restaurants and bars/clubs. And for the active, there are running,, bicycling, skating trails all over the place. Other activities include the interesting tours of the FBI and the Pentagon, touring the National Arboretum, or the Arlington Cemetery and the monuments. November 1997, I had just moved to the area from Puerto Rico. Sixteen inches of snow fell. Everything was white, with the monuments sticking out between the white snow and the blue sky.

A great website for trip planning :)

by kymbanm

I found a site that clarifies what is open, and what is closed for renovations or security .....

Let me tell you, this little website was a huge help in my planning as I only had 2 days to tour this historical place. The info I received from the website helped me prioritize my days quite efficiently - as I was able to avoid taking time to go to some sights which were closed :)

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Washington Suites Georgetown

2500 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20037, United States

View all Washington D.C. hotels

One Washington Circle Hotel
Latest: Jul 15, 2014

Ivy Mansion at Dupont Circle

Ivy Mansion At Dupont Circle Hotel Washington Dc

Address: 21st & R Street NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20009, United States