Latham Hotel

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 30% lower than similarly priced 3.5 star hotels

• jilldj's Profile Photo

A+ Hotel

Had a very pleasant experience in this hotel. Convenient location (along M. Street) near restaurants, bars and shopping. Very impressed with the hotel's interior and decor. Staff was very warm, attentive and friendly.

Unique Quality: Location, pool, facilities, free valet parking, hotel staff

Directions: along M. Street shopping district. keep an eye out tho bec you might miss the small sign.

• joits's Profile Photo

A great luxurious hotel

This was a great place to stay. The hotel was more luxurious than any other hotel I've stayed in. The rooms were extremely clean and comfortable. The staff was very polite. The location of the hotel is also ideal because its located in Georgetown and is close to many excellent restaurants and bars.

Unique Quality: The Latham Hotel Georgetown, an upscale boutique property with a European feel, boasts Michel Richard Citronelle a five star-diamond California French fine dining restaurant. The Latham offers a comfortable stay reminiscent of European inns offering corporate and leisure guests a variety of guestrooms featuring business amenities as well as those little extras provided by its international staff.

• Lots of choices here, and you...

Lots of choices here, and you can pretty much find them in the internet. But I would like to point out some great places that most sites will not tell you about: HOTEL GEORGE (Capitol Hill area) is perhaps the leading boutique hotel in the city. Attached to it is the beautiful and trendy Biz Restaurant with its magnificent bar. The hotel is near the Union Station, Congress, City Brewery, and museums. HOTEL MONTICELLO (center of Georgetown, tel. 202-337-0900) has lots of suites which can accomodate lots of people and perhaps one of the best location in town for partying the night away. This is a true gem. LATHAM HOTEL (center of Georgetown) is nestled behind the main drag in Georgetown and has one of the most celebrated restaurants in the city (it's called Citronelle).

More about Latham Hotel

Average Stay at the Latham

by TripAdvisor Member rockclimber

The Latham Hotel is a hotel in the Georgetown Shopping district. The hotel is convenient for walking to the shops, restaurants, and nearby attractions. Public transportation and taxis are readily available. The room was comfortable and clean, with very nice bedding The bathroom was small and the fixtures are old. The outside pool and exercise room are very small and dissappointing.

Liked The Latham

by TripAdvisor Member summercruiser

The Latham Hotel is a small hotel in the heart of the Georgetown Shopping district. You can walk to shops, restaurants, public transportation, etc. The rooms are small, but adequate. The bathrooms are very small (set up in a similar manner to a Fairfield Inn, but smaller). I think if one is obese, one might have trouble. However, the beds are comfortable, and there's a desk and chair although the airconditioning cycled on and off and I was awakened by it, although my room mate wasn't.
The staff was very helpful; they printed up my airline boarding pass and the bellman arranged for a cab that would not only pick me up at the hotel, but would pick me up later at a place not frequented by taxis. I would probably stay there again--the only thing that would keep me away would be the noisy A/C. (I also never asked if there were quieter rooms as I was only there for two nights).

Not close to a 4 star experience - except for the price

I was quite disappointed with my overall experience at this hotel, especially for the price.

My negative comments:
1) The room was very small (even by D.C. standards).
2) Room service is ridiculous. It was the most limited selection I have EVER seen at a four star hotel (salad, hamburger, 3 entrees, 3 deserts). The entrees started at about $25, the cheesecake was $14!!!, and the hours of operation were extremely restricted.
3) The infrastucture of the hotel is quite old. For example, it took ten minutes to get hot water in the shower. The air conditioning system in the room rattled and hissed (as apparently it did in my colleague's room) and kept me awake most of the night.

The positive comments:
1) The location is great. Right on M Street in Georgetown.
2) The staff were friendly and courteous.
3) I found the bed and linen to be quite comfortable.

While the hotel was not horrible, it did not come close to meeting my expectations for a four star hotel. I have stayed in many far superior 4 star hotels in D.C. (Sofitel, for example) at the same price.

The Truth!

In the last 4 years, we stayed at the Latham 4 times. The first 2 times were flawless--a summer weekend and then Thankgsiving 2003--dinner at the award-winning Citronelle (which is in the Latham), a lovely quiet room overlooking the C&O Canal. We stayed there in 2004. The air conditioning/heating system in our room was noisy but it was at a time of the year where its use was minimal. We understand the hotel has changed owners. True or not, we don't care. However, we decided to stay there Thanksgiving weekend 2005 (despite recent mixed reviews on Trip Advisor). We were repeat guests, booked our rooms in advance and requested a room overlooking the C&O Canal. We were given a room overlooking a construction sight. The weather was wintery which required continuous use of the heating system in the room. The noise and vibration from the heating system were deafening, making it impossible to use overnight if we wanted to sleep. At 3 am the room was so cold we decided to put the heat on for 20-30 minutes. When we turned it on, it was completely broken. Only cold air came out. (We met other guests who were complaining about the same problem.) The following morning (Friday) we met with the manager, Isaac who was very nice. He informed us that renovations were going on and that some rooms had an upgraded quiet heating system, but ours did not. He also told us that 40% of the hotel was vacant, which makes us wonder why we did not get a room with a working heating system or overlooking the canal. We could go on (hotel personnel opening our room without knocking, errant phone calls from the front desk, a general inept chain of command). In astonishment, we cut our trip short, checked out and drove back to NY the day after Thanksgiving. We will never stay there again.

Deceptive Business Practice

When I booked this hotel I thought that the price included all fees. Upon check-in, I was asked for my keys to my car, which I gave thinking this is just normal check-in procedure for this hotel. When I checked out I was given a $85 bill for the three days of parking for our car. When I asked the manager at the front desk (Isaac) why was I not told(or made known) that there is a $25 parking fee per day, his response was it was common knowledge that I would have to pay for parking and that I should have asked. Had I known, I would have parked two blocks down the street at a garage that was charging $5/day. I'm now disputing the charge on my credit card based on the fact that I should not have to ask to know if there is a charge for a hotel facility or not. They have a notice in the room that clearly shows the price of bottled water($5) but yet they don't have a notice at the front desk/door that clearly shows the parking fee. They also don't show this fee on their web site either. I believe this is the old deceptive business practice to get the customer in the door and then slide in the fee. My mistake was to assume this hotel had higher standards.
Very disappointing. We will never stay there again!

Nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member cottyh

This was the second hotel in a three city honeymoon and I was slightly worried about it given some of the previous reviews. The hotel is actually really nice. The one complaint we would have is that we had no window in our room - or rather the one we did have had breezeblocks covering it.

The bed was the best bed of the trip - it was huge. The bathroom was quite small however the whole room was kept spotless by the cleaning staff.

We arrived quite late on our first night so we ordered the room service. This was brought to the room promptly, all food was hot and the meals were delicious.

Georgetown is a really nice area with plenty of restaurants and bars. It is a short walk or train ride from the centre.

best hotels and cherry blossoms

by sheisaeval

Two questions.
What, in your opinions, are some of the best, top-rated hotels in DC? Some things that would be nice: free wifi, jacuzzi, spacious, full breakfast, salad bar, shuttle that goes to touristy places, etc.

Also, when is the best time to see the cherry blossom blooming period, but yet beat most of the crowd, if that is possible? What other events/etc happen around that time period?

RE: best hotels and cherry blossoms

by ellielou

Your best bet is to google cherry blossom festival, since there's a site, and there's usually also a link from to events from the Washington Post site.

And, sorry to tell you....I really do NOT think it's possible to beat most of the crowds. I've lived in the region most of my life, and have seen the cherry blossoms once, mostly because I never think that I can deal with the huge CROWDS.

Any of the hotels in the downtown area are on the tourist trolly thing...where you can hop on and hop off.....

Enjoy!

RE: RE: best hotels and cherry blossoms

by Hopkid

The past 2-3 years at least it seems the peak blossom times are the first and second weekends in April. As for hotels, you might try the ones in Rosslyn, just over the Potomac from Georgetown. I'm not sure about a shuttle but there is a Metro stop right there. Holiday Inn and Radisson (I think) both have hotels there.

RE: best hotels and cherry blossoms

by ForestqueenNYC

Concierge.com considers these to be the top rated hotels. Four Seasons, Hay Adams, Ritz Carlton, Willard, Hotel Madarin, Hotel Monaco. These are all 4 stars and very expensive. If I could, I would stay in any of these. I would also stay at the Jefferson. Then there is the Hotel George Washington, a 3 star, and Swann House and Rouge, both 2 stars. Keep in mind that according to Concierge.com the price range for a 2 star hotel is $200 to $299.

I have stayed at the Latham Hotel in Georgetown, and although it isn't listed by Concierge, it is a very nice hotel and, by bus, very convenient to Wisconsin Avenue, K Street, Connecticut Avenue and downtown.

A good place to see cherry blossoms is the residential neighborhood of Kenwood in Chevy Chase, MD. It is heavenly. You walk or drive through a tunnel of cherry blossoms. I think it is much more beautiful than along the tidal basin and probably you will encounter a lot fewer tourists. You will need a car though. Kenwood is straight out River Road about a mile past the District line.

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Washington Suites Georgetown

2500 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20037, United States

View all Washington D.C. hotels

L'Enfant Plaza Hotel
Latest: Jun 8, 2014

Latham Hotel

Latham Hotel Washington Dc

Address: 3000 M St NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20007, United States