Loftstel | Washington

4115 8th Street NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20011, United States
Loftstel / Washington
Booking.com Hostelworld.com HostelBookers.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Washington D.C.

rewardsrewards

restaurants at low level of Union Stationrestaurants at low level of Union Station

at U.S. Holocaust museumat U.S. Holocaust museum

Washington monumentWashington monument

Union Station - Safety At 2:00 a.m.

by xtrees130

I am planning a short visit(unfortunately) to D.C. In order to save money I am considering taking an Amtrak train that will arrive at Union Station at approximately 2:00 A.M. From Union Station I will need to get to the hotel which is approximately 6 miles away. My questions are -

- Will I be safe within Union Station at that time in the morning?
- Will I be able to get a taxi cab at that time in the morning?
- What is the approximate amount taxi cabs charge - or - can anyone provide the names of any taxi cab companies that I can contact.
Thanking everyone for any information they can provide.

by mccalpin

Hmmmn, I haven't been to Union Station at 2 a.m., but my strong guess would be:
1. security won't be a problem, as it will be you, a few employees, and security guards, and
2. if there are Amtrak trains arriving at 2 a.m., then there will be taxis waiting at 2 a.m.

I don't think you need to worry about contacting a taxi company; surely you will just go out front to the queue and hop in the first in line...there will undoubtedly be several there very happy to see a live customer.

If you want to call the Station, you might try looking at http://www.unionstationdc.com/about.aspx
Note that the parking garage is open 24 hours, which says to me that the station is up and running 24x7, even if most of the shopping is closed in the dead of night...

Bill

by TexasDave

I have been there at close to midnight waiting for someone arriving by train and it is as Bill describes above. You won't have a problem getting a cab even at that hour.

by bobkerry

hey i agree with you and i think you do not need to worry at all.everything will be fine at your end

Travel Tips for Washington D.C.

Sundays at Meridian/Malcolm X Park

by SoulFlower69

My favorite thing about Washington, DC was the "hands down" the drum circles at Malcolm X/Meridian Park every Sunday. I stayed in DC for 4 months and enjoyed the free museums. I loved the seafood. I also love the trees, the flowers, the parks. I came to DC when spring was peeking it's waking eye. I will not forget the beautiful bushes where the wind blew the petals into the street. You could ride down the street and it would be pink! My fondest memories of DC had to be the "Marina". I loved it there. It was a place where you could just go and sit by the river and enjoy the peacefulness. You can get some of the best steamed crabs, corn on the cob and garlic toast in America.

High Security

by Aufgahoben

We were tourists deluxe on our second day of wandering the city. More tourists had come out, as well as the sun, so we blended in a little bit better. We were walking with the map between us just certain that the White House should be coming up when an armed guard popped out of no where and asked us to please continue our walk on the other side of the street. FOUND IT. We were directed by guards to continue walking, do not stop, until we reached the officer wayyyyyy over there (point to a dot in the distance). So we did. (trust me, you don't argue with these guys, they weren't kidding) When we got to the officers car and turned around we had a great view of the White House in the distance... Complete with Armed guards on the roof.. It was a very scary and heartbreaking sight from my point of view. The last time I was in D.C. was when Nixon was in office.. I distinctly remember that there were not armed guards in camoflauge on the rooftops back then.. (but then again... :-) I think at that moment I realized the grave danger this country faces .. I can't say that it was a good feeling.

Make sure you don't get swept...

by OnMyOwnPath

Make sure you don't get swept away all at once by the museums, memorials and monuments. It can be overwhelming at first sight, but they all have their own story to tell.

If you don't have to worry about your budget or can afford to splurge for a night, you might want to try and stay at the Hay Adams Hotel, which from the roof has a beautiful view of the White House, Washington Monument and the Jefferson Memorial. Strolling through the National Mall and going up the Washington Monument just before it was to be restored in 1998.

You absolutely must take in...

by bdwoot

You absolutely must take in the monuments. I have been to the Lincoln Memorial at 3 AM, the Jefferson Memorial at midnight, all the Smithsonian including the Air and Space annex in Suitland, all spectacular. Don't forget a nice lunch at the Old Post Office building just north of the Science and Technology museum. Drinking bourbon from a congressman's snifter watching the Fourth of July fireworks from the House Office building.

1st you must see the monuments...

by ytram

1st you must see the monuments by day and by night.
2nd best places to eat are around the Yatch Club starting at the fish market goin east to the last restrauant, my favorite is Phillips. Fast food at the Railroad station at the food court. Try the Orleans House across from Georgtown for the best prime roast beef. More later! Watch where you park and pay attention to the signs if it says that they will pick u cars at 5pm you better take you car out of the way by 4:50 pm because atr 4:51 the trucks are ready to haul you away.

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

The Dupont Hotel

1500 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20036, United States

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Savoy Suites Georgetown Hotel
Latest: Apr 20, 2014
Park Hyatt Washington
Latest: Apr 19, 2014
The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, D.C.
Latest: Apr 19, 2014
Best Western Downtown-Capitol Hill
1 Review & Opinion

Loftstel | Washington

Loftstel / Washington Hotel Washington Dc

Address: 4115 8th Street NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20011, United States