Washington D.C. Hotels

Our Members Say

• tpangelinan profile photo tpangelinan
  • Reviews: 1355

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Comfort Inn at the Pentagon: Comfort Inn at the Pentagon, don't do it.

This is ruffing it folks. I made my reservation a month before, and they put us next to the elevator shaft any way, even though I directly asked otherwise, (might as well have slept on a airport runway, its so noisy). No refridgerator in our room, even though there was supposed to be one. We brought drinks for nothing. I went to put my slippers on and they were covered in ants....yuck, if I wanted to go camping, I would go camping. Sink area leaking all over. I called down to desk, no manager, he dosen't know who she is, dosen't know when she'll be back. Most of the employees act like English is not something they know about. Wow. Comfort Inn? Uncomfort Inn is really more like it. She deducted from my room $25.00, wow. The restaurant was...top five of worst ever. The worst part is the manager recomended the restaurant to us after we asked where is a good one! (I should have known she was a total liar after that). Not really a restaurant, but more like a bad, bad, dirty tattered dining room with a bad caterer, and worse service for real. Those ants on my slippers...'horror-movie quality memory', OK?

They share an outdoor pool with the Best Western, who takes bus loads of kids at a time. I really can't believe this is a Choice Hotel. Make a better choice.
I would never stay at this hotel again.

• Related to: School Holidays
  • Written April 15, 2005
Tip Photo

It looks good, but the reality...

• Dabs profile photo Dabs
  • Reviews: 4102

Hyatt Regency Crystal City: Priceline in Crystal City, Arlington VA

After bidding on Priceline up to $90 per night for a more centrally located hotel, I changed my plan to bid for Crystal City which is one metro stop away from Reagan National airport. I got this hotel for $50 per night. Crystal City is actually in Arlington VA but is very convenient to DC. I think it took me about 15 minutes by metro to get into the central area of DC.

The Hyatt is one of the least convenient hotels to the Crystal City metro, on foot it is about 15-20 minutes. The Hyatt does have a shuttle from the metro that runs every 1/2 hour or so but it was not very well marked. As you come out of the metro, do a U turn and walk over to where you see bus shelters and ask if they are waiting for hotel shuttles.

Within 4 or 5 blocks of the hotel there are many restaurants, mostly on 23rd St. The hotel recommended Portofino, an Italian place or Jaleo which is the one we tried. There is also a Legal Seafoods, Chili's and McDonald's nearby.

I grabbed breakfast at the Safeway grocery store in the Crystal City underground mall, there was also an Au Bon Pain but it wasn't open yet.

For $50 per night this was a perfectly fine hotel, check in was quick, check out can be done by phone or on the TV. The room didn't have a lot of extra amenities-no in room safe, no mini bar or refrigerator, no internet hookup.

But it was comfortable enough, the shower had plenty of hot water and the bed was comfortable.

• Written October 20, 2004

Hyatt Crystal City

• mindcrime profile photo mindcrime
  • Reviews: 2825

Sleep Inn & Suites BWI Airport: near BWI airport

This hotel is actually located near Baltimore airport and we stayed here for one night because we had an early flight from BWI airport (usually the budget flights are from here). Most of their customers book a room for the same reason, that’s why they offer breakfast from 4.00 the morning :)

The room was typical, big and clean but we only stayed here for some hours of sleeping before we go to the airport so I don’t really have much to say about it.

They also offer free transfer to/from the airport and the train station (we had to call them from the train station upon our arrival and they came 10’ later)

• Written November 9, 2010

Sleep Inn & Suites BWI Airport

• richiecdisc profile photo richiecdisc
  • Reviews: 5881

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Inn of Rosslyn: just across the Potomic

This was one of the first times I pre-booked a room for a trip and also one of the few times I did my entire search online. To be honest, it was only the second time I had ever flown into a US city as a tourist destination and with only a few days to explore I did not want to spend time looking for a room like I might normally do on a longer trip.

I found a few but the Inn of Rosslyn was the most convenient and second cheapest I found while retaining a fairly good review from Internet users that had stayed there. When we arrived, it was slightly further than we thought from the Metro stop but after getting our orientation down better, it really was not far at all aside from coming back at night when it seemed just as far as that first trip!

The room was clean and functional if a bit worn but the beds were comfortable and the shower certainly worked well enough. It was in a decent neighborhood and while it was dark on the way to it when we returned each night, we were never bothered by anyone. They also had a very good breakfast consisting of bagels with cream cheese, donuts, orange juice and coffee. Everything was quite fresh and since we were up early every day to get out and take photos, we always got the best selection! :)

It was $109 per night and while this is a lot more than I normally spend on a room, DC has so many free attractions that you can afford to spend more on accommodation.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Photography, Road Trip
  • Written April 25, 2010

no, not the Inn, it's the Old Stone House

• Pawtuxet profile photo Pawtuxet
  • Reviews: 1613

Celia's Place: B&B/Capitol HIll

I found this one through a B&B search on the web. A very ecclectic, comfortable, well located home on 3rd. Street...2 blocks behind the Capitol. The Folger Library...and Shakespearian Theatre are at the end of the block.

A typical "row house" built in the 1800's and beautifully decorated by a woman who is an obvious gardener and art enthusiast. Interesting things in every corner...and your double room comes complete with a sitting room...(laundry facilities) and a private bath. TV in the room...as well as an extensive library.
Lots of fresh fruit, coffee, muffins, cereal and yogurt for breakfast...
Also liked that my hostess didn't want to talk for hours...as sometimes is true of B&B hosts.

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Museum Visits, Historical Travel
  • Written April 11, 2003

• Stargazer1 profile photo Stargazer1
  • Reviews: 58

Hilton Old Town Alexandria: Hilton Old Town Alexandria

This was a good place to stay while visiting Washington D.C. It's only a few Metro stops from D.C. proper, and close to many restaurants, bars, clubs, etc., including the waterfront (Potomac River).
Not cheap, but worth the price, and for $10 extra, it included 2 full breakfasts every day -- quite a deal.
Being a Hilton HHonors member (Silver VIP), they upgraded us to a top floor (7th floor) room.

Good exercise facilities, 2 full double beds, good-sized room, across the street from the Metro station.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Business Travel, Luxury Travel, Family Travel
  • Written July 20, 2006

View from our room -- Metro is right there

• bugalugs profile photo bugalugs
  • Reviews: 1328

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Days Hotel & Conference Centre: Near the airport

When we visited in August 2003 we decided to stay near the airport, and as my husband had already stayed in this hotel on business and he liked it, we stayed here.

A free hotel shuttle bus picked us up at the aiport and took us to the hotel about 2 miles away.

The hotel was really nice, lovely and roomy and clean.

Herndon town centre was about 15 minutes walk, but there were shops and restaurants, within 5 minutes walk away.

Getting into DC itself was really easy, we just took the shuttle bus back to the hotel, jumped on the bus that costs $2 into DC and 40 minutes later we were there. I think because we were staying weekends nights it maybe cheaper thn in the week when there are more business people there. I scoured the net for the best price and we paid $55 including tax per night, which I thought was really good.

There is a room with pc's available, free of charge. A great indoor swimming pool, which the boys used. Bar and Grill, which was also where breakfast was served. A great buffet breakfast, including eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, cereals, pancakes, yogurts, fruit. This was extra I think about $7 dollars each. An exercise/fitness room, the boys used this as well. Ample parking (free).

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written November 8, 2003

• Yaqui profile photo Yaqui
  • Reviews: 4534

The District Hotel: Excellent Location

I was trying to help a friend find a place that was a centrally located near the main attractions and the metro. This place boasted at being as centrally located, especially after looking at a map. I have to say I was cringing because you just never know. As it turns out, the place was not bad at all. Not great, but not bad. It is located very near restuarants, pubs, and all the main landmarks and the metro is a very easy walk. They have parking behind the hotel, but was not sure if the car would survive, but it did. She mentioned the rooms were ok, but did say the beds were very comfortable. The staff was helpful, but did have to challenge them when they told her she be paying full price and it was not the price she booked. Yet, she got the price she asked for, so that all worked out. She has recommend I try it next time I travel with my family. So I just might do that.

• Related to: Road Trip, Family Travel, Historical Travel
  • Written June 30, 2010

• bugalugs profile photo bugalugs
  • Reviews: 1328

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Best Western Pentagon: Rather soggy!!!!!

We had booked in for 3 nights, however, after returning to our room on the second day, we found when getting some clothes out of the suitcase that they were soaking wet! Then my husband realised that the air conditioning vent in the ceiling was leaking and had consequently soaked virtually all the clothes in the suitcase. We phoned reception, a man came to look at the air con (not the clothes) and said it couldnt be fixed right there and then! Eventually we were told that our clothes would be picked up the next morning and washed for us, but this was only after my husband had gone to reception for a explanation. The next morning someone came and took all the clothes. That evening when we returned (this was also our last night there) the clothes had all been washed, folded and left on the bed wet!!!! Another phone call ensued. Eventually someone came to take the clothes to be dried but the wait then made us later getting out into DC. When we returned on this our last night we found the clothes had been dried but not ironed!!!!! I eventually had to do this myself.
We complained and were in fact not charged for one nights accommodation, so you could probably say that that was fair, but we would have rather that it never happened.

There was also a shuttle bus provided by the motel to take you to Crystal City the nearest metro station where you could then get into DC. They were supposed to run every 30 minutes. We didnt seem to have a problem leaving in the mornings and getting the shuttle bus, but waiting for one early evening between 6-7pm was not very good. Every one seemed to want to get back to their hotels/motels at the same time, and this meant when one for your accommodation turned up there were more people than places on the bus. Consequently you could wait upto 45-50 minutes.There is a shopping mall where I suppose you could if you wanted to have a browse (and enjoy the cool air) if you wanted to wait for a later bus but the chances of not being a queue even then perhaps would be questionable.

There was a pool at the motel, which vt members living in the DC area had said would be an asset to have after returning after a long day sightseeing. However the pool closed at approximately 7.30pm, not really much time for a dip if you wanted one.
There was a lifeguard on duty.

• Written August 3, 2003
Tip Photo

• soccergrrl profile photo soccergrrl
  • Reviews: 202

Wide Variety of Price and Quality

This is more like a warning, but I thought it better to advise you here. You will find rooms in the DC area from $50 to $500+ per night. Be very aware of the location of the accommodation; there are some chain hotels in absolutely terrible neighborhoods. Consider the close-in suburbs--many affordable places are near Metro stops, and many motels have free shuttle service to the closest station (ask when you book).

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written September 24, 2002

• besbel profile photo besbel
  • Reviews: 183

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Check on Craigslist for Renting!

No matter your age, if you wish to mingle with people, local and foreigners, living in Washington, then Craigslist is the best bet. I used it to search and find my current accommodation and I found it safe and reliable. You can find places, either independent apartments or shared townhouses, all around the city with all types of prices and the most diverse roommates. They also have options for all types of stays, regardless if it is for a few days, a few weeks, months or years.
Renting in any place advertised at Craigslist is more convenient than getting a hotel / hostel room (very expensive here, the cheapest you might gt is US$120 per night). In 2007 I found via Craiglist, a US$800-per-month room in a shared townhouse in Adams Morgan, near Kalorama Road, in an area where the price of renting is much higher than that. And, in 2008, I also found on Craiglist a fully furnished, independent basement in Georgetown at US$1000 per month.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Work Abroad, Study Abroad
  • Written July 9, 2007
Tip Photo

My room in 2007-sorry for the mess :)

• besbel profile photo besbel
  • Reviews: 183

Renting in Virginia or Maryland

Instead of lodging in DC, some people prefer to pick a hotel or rent in surrounding areas in Virginia and Maryland. The pros of these options is that both the rents and the prices in these places are cheaper than in DC. Besides, several locations, like Alexandria, Arlington, Rosslyn, Courthouse, or Falls Church (Virginia) or Silver Spring, Bethesda and Rockville (Maryland) are well connected to DC and easily reachable by metro and bus. Plus, some areas like Arlington or Alexandria have attractions on their own, which makes the experience more enriching.
The only cons would be the distance (it takes a while to go from Rockville or Alexandria to DC), and dependability on metro and bus for your daily activities, especially for nightlife (once the metro stops running, you gotta stay in DC until the metro reopens again).

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written September 18, 2007

Alexandria bridge

• londonlover profile photo londonlover
  • Reviews: 497

Residence Inn, Arlington: Stay in Rosslyn, across the Potomac from DC

If you want to avoid the high cost of staying in central DC, try Rosslyn, just a short (and cheap--$1.35) Metro stop away from all the sites, across the Potomac from DC. We chose the Residence Inn, and it is a fantastic hotel.

Full hot breakfast and mid-week dinners, served in the lovely dining room.
Cookies and coffee always available in the lobby.
All-suite rooms, including kitchen (stove, refridgerator, utensils, table, and even a dishwasher!), bathroom, comfortable beds, sitting area with couches, and spacious closet.
Very little noise, unless we just happened to have silent neighbors!

• Written April 27, 2005
Tip Photo

Our kitchen in the junior suite

• chappleg profile photo chappleg
  • Reviews: 27

A Cheaper Stay in the Suburbs

When visiting DC you may choose to stay in the city itself, or in the surrounding areas. While staying in the city may put you in the heart of the attractions, it is also very expensive. Consider staying in one of the surrounding areas where you may catch the metro train into the city for your sight seeing. Look at the metro system map (www.wmata.com) and then select an area to search for hotels. I would recommend the virginia side along the orange or blue line. This would put you in Arlington, Alexandria, Falls Church, or Fairfax, Virginia.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written January 10, 2005

• peterd1331 profile photo peterd1331
  • Reviews: 35

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Econo Lodge Takoma Park: Don't try to save money here

There is a pool shared with the qualty inn next door but with short open hours. The only other things that stand out are the bad neighborhood, advertising on the room keys, and police hanging out far too much.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Work Abroad
  • Written August 29, 2006

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful

Instant Answers: Washington D.C.

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.
470 Opinions