Madison Hotel

Loews Madison Hotel
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Not the Best Choice

I stayed at The Madison Hotel in D.C. for 3 nights, from December 5-8. I was there on business as a part of a group.

The "high-speed" internet was wired and not high-speed. The charge was $11 per day.

There was no coffee maker in the room. Room service coffee was $9, although complimentary coffee was available in the lobby. For those of us who need coffee before we leave the room, this was inconvenient. There were no ice machines available - ice had to be ordered via the concierge and took 45 minutes to be delivered.
    Housekeeping was spotty. I found personal items and food bits from a previous occupant under the desk. A thorough vacuuming would have turned those items up. The bathroom was superficially clean but the tub needed scrubbing and hair was in the drain. (not my hair!)
    Washcloths were not replaced automatically - I had to call twice to get clean ones.

The restaurant prices were outrageous, even by DC standards. A continental breakfast was $15, 19 by room service. The menu had few sandwich or light meal choices available. A beer and a sprite in the bar cost $18!

Overall, this hotel was just ok. I would not recommend it due mainly to cleanliness issues and cost for value given. I travel to DC frequently on business and have stayed at far nicer and more convenient places for a more reasonable price.

Unique Quality: Bed and bedding were best part. Pillows were abundant. And alarm clock and a separate CD player/radio were both available.
    There was a refrigerator, billed as a mini-bar but empty. You could order the stocking at outrageous prices or simply use it as a refrigerator for personal items.
    The hotel appeared to be luxurious at first glance. The bellmen were eager to take your luggage and quick to open doors. The front desk was friendly and check-in was fast.
    The room, a king-size standard, had a comfortable bed, a desk, a chair and ottoman. The bathroom had amenities such as hairdryer, heated towel holder and, besides the usual soap, shampoo, etc, had a manicure set and mending kit. The towels were thick and plentiful.
    A deli and a Subway restaurant, as well as a Starbucks, were within 2 blocks. A CVS pharmacy was about three long blocks away. A lot of construction noise was present and the hotel was not sound-proofed from outside noise.

Directions: North of Capitol, near McPherson Metro (3 blocks)

More about Madison Hotel

A British doctor says...

by AliJoe

A British doctor says 'Medicine in my country is so advanced that we Can take a kidney out of one man put it in another and have him looking for work in six weeks.' A German doctor says, 'That's nothing, we can take a lung out of one person put it in another and have him looking for work in four weeks.' A Russian doctor says, 'In my country medicine is so advanced we can take half a heart out of one person put it in another and have them both looking for work in two weeks.' The American doctor, not to be outdone, says, 'You guys are way behind, we just took a man with no brain out of Texas, put him in the White House, and now half the country is looking for work, and the other half preparing for wars.
23rd MAY 2002

Travelodge Hotel City Center

by GUYON about Travelodge Hotel City Center

100$ because we passed through a tour operator.

Parking : 11$ per day. Near Thomas Circle in an area not particularly pleasant. But at 25 mn by foot from the White House (North frontage) by Vermont Street and Lafayette Square.

A continental complimentary breakfast. The rooms are dirty and tiny.

We had other occupiers with us : 2 cockroaches.

I recommend this hotel to the persons who like the camping.

Where do spies & foreign correspondents stay?

by VA_Dave about The Tabard Inn

The Tabard Inn was first mentioned in Chaucer's Cantebury Tales.

I hear that Joan Baez stays at
the here when she is in town.

I also imagine that the bar is
filled with spies and foreign
correspondents.

According to the web page:

Welcome to the Tabard Inn, Washington D.C.'s quintessential small hotel located on a quiet tree-lined street just five blocks from the White House. Vibrant, yet unassuming, the Tabard is comprised of 40 sleeping rooms, each unique in character and design.

Feast on eclectic American cuisine in our acclaimed restaurant, or enjoy a cocktail and listen to live jazz in one of our cozy Victorian sitting areas. Mingle with travelers from around the world who find the Tabard the only place to stay when their travels bring them to Washington.

Cherry Blossom Hotel

I just recently got back from staying at The Madison Hotel in Washington DC. I was very impressed with the elegence of this hotel and the great service that was provided. I found this hotel online and took advantage of the cherry blossom special. It was located near all attractions and great restaurants. The hotel's website had other specials that I will look into when booking again.

Loved the elegant Madison in DC!

by TripAdvisor Member TexasGal19

We stayed at the Madison May 2005 for 3 nights. Our room had elegant furnishings, high quality bed linens, a very comfy bed and an abundance of bathroom amenities which we enjoyed. There was even a radio with CD player in our room with a remote which was a nice extra. The room was clean and very quiet and the hotel staff was very courteous. We checked out about 30 minutes late on our last day and the desk clerk was very understanding and not at all bothered by it. We also found The Madison to be an outstanding value at a rate of $129 per night through Quikbook.
The only drawback for some tourists may be the location -as the Madison is located just a bit off of the beaten tourist path. However there is a metro station within walking distance - about 4 blocks away, so it is still very easy to go anywhere in downtown DC quickly and cheaply to see the sights or get to other areas with more plentiful dining choices. The Madison is located walking distance from the White House (about 5-6 blocks away) and there are a few restaurants nearby within walking distance.
We would definitely recommend the Madison and will stay there again when we travel back to DC!

White House

by GUYON

"1st step : the Visitor Center"

In Summer, it is compulsory to pick up a ticket at the WH visitor Center 1450 Pennsylvannia AV (on the photo).

The guide book and the VT members said I must be in the line on the footpath at 6:00 on the morning. The Visitor center opens at 7:30AM. The hour recommended seemed too soon and I came at 6:30 to find a queue of 200 meters which snaked on the footpath.

After a waiting of 1:30 and enjoying the face of the tourists coming at 7:30 o'clock (they did not know VT), I received three tickets and my hand was stamped with an invisible ink (to prevent the selling of the tickets). It was possible to obtain 4 tickets per waiting person.

On the ticket there is the date and the time of the visit.

When the number of visitors is reached (4000 per day ?), the other tourists are invited to take the line the tomorrow.

"2nd step : the gathering of visitors"

The visitors are invited to gather on the Ellipse, a lawn near the WH, 1/2 hour before the time of the visit.

"3rd step : the visit"

The group were taken to the WH.

We entered by a small door on the West side of the WH after the checking of each visitor and bag. The stamp on the hand is controled with a black light lamp.

The visit lasts 20 mn and there are mainly drawing rooms and a large dining room.

The taylors of the FBI agents who watch each room are very clever : the revolver under the jacket is completly unvisible.

"4th step : photographs"

Photographs and video are forbiden inside the WH but it is allowed to be photographed on the stairs outside.

"Regret"

We regret to have not been invited to lunch. Though, Bush was at home (I saw him at the TV) and we were in the noon group.

I will visit the Palais de l'Elysée to see if Chirac is more polite : See my Paris page.

"By night"

By night, the South frontage footpath is forbiden. You cannot stop or slow your car in the street.

It is impossible to sing under the Bush's windows.

The North frontage is watched but it is possible to approach the railings.

"To know"

The visit is free.

It is possible from Tuesday to Saturday, 10:00 to 12:00 excepted particular event.

We visited Washington from 2 to 4 August 2001 and the 30 & 31 August 2001.

This page was created the 10 September 2001, the day before the Terrorist Attack.

White evening @ the White House

by shopgal

"Inauguration what!!"

It was snowing the evening I arrived in DC, and it was in the 40s & 50s during the day, I suppose the weather just choosed to be freezing when I got there *shrug*

So we were driving thru the malls, the White House, and all those monuments. We were unable to get close to the white house that day, as they were preparing for the inauguration of president chimp boy. There were a huge x-mas tree & Hanukkah candles in front of the white house.

So this is where that bastard lives, someone as despicable as he is doesn't deserve to live in a grand house like that, moreover, he does not deserve an inauguration!!

The White House Tour.

by acemj

"Map of the tour."

This is a cool map, which shows the tour stops.

"The Oval Office."

Microsoft may have invented Powerpoint, but this is the true point of power.

"The Blue Room."

Feeling blue? Cheer up!

"The Green Room."

I'm green with envy at this pleasant room.

"The Red Room."

Hey, I think we have a pattern here?!

"Cross Hall."

Grandiose.

"The China Room."

Or "the Dish Room" as Michael Douglass called it in the movie "The American President."

"The East Room."

Ostensibly named for it's location in the building.

"White House Library."

Lots of the books here are not only read by presidents, they're written by them!

"State Dining Room."

Not a bad place to entertain some dinner guests.

The White HouseThe White House

the white housethe white house

the White Housethe White House

White HouseWhite House

white house

by robin888

Hi

I will be staying in the washington Hi hostel downtown and am wondering what are the interesting sights I can visit just within the downtown core - is the white house in that area? where is the union station by the way? are these sights reachable by the metrorail? I understand that one must visit the kenilworth aquatic garden? where is this garden? I would appreciate any information. thank you.

Re: white house

by olddude

How long is your stay? Pretty much everything is near to where you will be. The White House is practically within walking distance as is Union Station. Your hostel sits somewhere between the two. As far as the aquatic garden, it is part of the national arboretum, and from your location, there are numerous forms of transportation to get to it. There is an orange line metro stop right near the entrance to the gardens.

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Washington Suites Georgetown

2500 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20037, United States

View all Washington D.C. hotels

Best Western Capitol Skyline Hotel
Latest: Jul 18, 2014
The Carlyle Suites Hotel
Latest: Jul 19, 2014
The Melrose Hotel, Washington D.C.
Latest: Jul 19, 2014
JW Marriott Hotel Pennsylvania Avenue
Latest: Jul 16, 2014

Madison Hotel

Madison Washington Dc
The Madison Hotel Washington Dc

Address: 1177 Fifteenth Street NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20005, United States