3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Hotels.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

America's Center of Irish Hospitality

I have not stayed here - I took the photo from the car, and edited out the post that was in the middle.

Unique Quality: According to the website, this was formerly known as the Commodore, and was renamed the Phoenix Park Hotel in 1982 by Irish-American entrepreneur, Daniel J. Coleman.

Amenities include: Concierge services, daily housekeeping and turndown services, High-Speed Internet access (wireless & LAN), in-room dining by Dubliner, fitness center, complimentary delivery of weekday newspaper and more...

There are 149 deluxe accommodations... including three penthouse suites and three bi-level suites. Each penthouse suite has a generous living room area, working fire place, mahogany dining room table, antiques and a well-appointed kitchen. The three bi-level suites feature a living room with a pull out sofa and a half bath on the first floor with a spiral staircase ascending to a deluxe king bedroom including a full bath on the second floor. These suites are truly unique and perfect for special occasions. Luxurious Irish linens, fine toiletries, custom-designed carpets and chandeliers from Ireland's most noted companies are used throughout. The rooms are equipped with two-line telephones with voice mail and data ports

# Irish cotton bath robes
    # 32" Flat Screen TV with Cable and Pay-Per-View movies
    # Same day laundry service
    # 24 hour business office
    # Fax and copy services
    # Safety deposit at front desk
    # Ice machine
    # Room service from 7 a.m. until 11 p.m. provided by Dubliner
    # Valet parking
    # Umbrellas

Directions: One block from Union Station which houses the Metro and Train Station situated at the corner of North Capitol and F Street right across the street from the National Guard offices and the Postal Museum.

More about Phoenix Park Hotel

"An Irish Pub"

by spartan about The Dubliner

If you work or visit the Capitol Hill area, you learn very quickly about the prominence of the Phoenix Park Hotel's noted restaurant. Rub elbows with Washington's power elite, enjoy the free-flowing spirits (not to mention its free-flowing Irish spirit), eat delicious pub fare, listen to live Irish entertainment and choose from a vast selection of beers and ales. Try the Entrecote Jameson New York Strip Sirloin (it's seared with fresh crushed peppercorns and garlic, flamed with Jameson's Irish Whiskey, finished with cream & diced tomatoes and comes with a baked potato, cauliflower and roll). Wash it down with a Black & Tan (with Guinness as the base). Another awesome selection is the Dubliner Special (beer batter fried catfish and scallop nuggets, shoestring french fries and cole slaw) with tartar sauce.

The Dubliner - Union Station Area

by Ewingjr98

While walking toward Union Station we decided to have one last beer for the evening before my friends had too take the Metro home. We decided to either hit up the Dubliner or right next door, Kelly's Irish Times. As we approached, the Dubliner looked dead and the Irish Times was overflowing into the street. The Irish Times was the logical choice, but my friend had to use the restroom, and we thought the Dubliner might have cleaner restrooms. Well, when we entered the Dubliner, I was very surprised by the number of people packed around the main bar and spread around the other rooms here; you'd never guess it from the outside.

We sat at the smaller back bar and each had a pint... two Smithwick's and a Guinness. When the live music started back up just before 1am, we decided it was time for some sleep, so we headed on home.

The Dubliner is in the Phoenix Park Hotel (named after the huge park in Dublin, Ireland), and they have Irish food and live entertainment seven days a week.

Very Happy at the Phoenix Park

by TripAdvisor Member dreamvac

My husband and I just had a wonderful labor day weekend at the Phoenix Park Hotel. I do not understand the other reviews here. We checked in and were promptly greeted by the doorman/who helped us with our bags. Thanks to other Tripadvisor reviewers' advice we parked for free across the street in the government lot on the weekend with no problems. The lobby is pleasant and we were professionally checked in at the front desk quickly. First impressions, very positive. The bellman then proceeded to show us to our room and explained some of the amentities of the hotel. We were very pleased with room 412. It was large, tastefully furnished with nice carpeting and drapes, king size bed that was firm with nice linens, updated bath with nice towels and toiletries. No problems with A/C. The hotel was clean, updated and did not smell old or like kitty litter as one reviewer notes. We were so pleased after expecting something much worse from the some of the reviews. The hotel is in walking distance to Union Station, the Capitol and the museums along the mall area. The Dubliner Pub is a great Irish pub with good reasonably priced food and Irish music on the weekends. It is a nice place to unwind after a day of touring. We got a great rate on Hotwire for $59 a night.
We hope to return sometime soon and see the rest of the city.

i thought it was great!

by TripAdvisor Member betting_im_not

my boyfriend and i checked in to the Phoenix Park hotel for an overnight stay...just a little vacation. we got down to the hotel around 11:30 on a sunday morning and asked if we could check in early. check in is normally 3 pm, but the staff member at the front desk said it was no problem so we went on up. the room we stayed in (406) was a pretty nice size. everything was very clean. the air conditioner blasted cold air all afternoon and evening. the only tiny problem we had was a leaky bathtub faucet. but you couldnt hear it from the bed so it wasnt really a problem at all. check out went very smoothly also. we got a very very good rate ($79/night from travelzoo). so i was very happy with the hotel.

only a couple things to point out:

the hotel does not offer free parking. there is a government lot across the street that you can park in on the weekends for free. but if you car is not out of there by 7 am on monday, they will tow it.

the hotel does offer valet parking for $25/day. we were only there sunday-monday, so this wasnt a big deal for us.

the concierge wasnt very helpful to us. we were looking for a good ethnic restaurant to try. we ended up asking someone on the street.

the hotel restaurant, the Dubliner, had a very good but overpriced breakfast menu. $12 for an omelet?! but i ate it, and it was delicious.

also! when driving around DC, make sure you check the addresses. we were unfamiliar with the set up and ended up driving an hour and 15 mins looking for an ethiopian restaurant.

Just 'OK' ....

by TripAdvisor Member frocha

Here is the bottom line. We reserved two adjoining non-smoking rooms. One room with one King or Queen bed, the other for our 13 year olds needed two beds. I confirmed the reservation the day before we left. You can guess, they didn’t have adjoining room when we arrived. I sure they only made an effort to make it right because there were children involved. We got two adjoining “smoking” rooms. One had a twin bed and a double bed, the other had two double beds. The air conditioning was out till 10:30pm the first day which was miserable. When it was fixed, it kept the room “cool” at best.

The rooms are on the small side with small bathrooms. The location is great almost across the street from Union Station, and the price was right at about $125 per night. But in general the staff was indifferent about our comfort, so I doubt we’ll ever stay there again.

Location was Great but hotel is old

The hotel is old and it "feels" and "smells" old.

Housekeeping staff was very pleasant and so was the Room Service staff and the Bell staff went above and beyond to help and assist. Not much air conditioning. I know this is a old building but come on? Elevators are small the Front Desk answers your calls for everything it seems.. dial Engineering Front Desk picks up, dial Housekeeping Front Desk picks ups?? The hallways smelled like a kitty litter box? I'm not for sure why and the mattress sagged in the center of both beds. They did try to find us another room with better air, they just didn't have any available.

A Charming Boutique Hotel

My 15 year-old son and I stayed at the Phoenix Park July 22-26. We took advantage of a Travelzoo summer special of $79 per night! Our room and the hotel itself was immaculate. As you have probably read from other postings, the rooms are on the small side. But we didn't mind because we were only in our room to sleep (and the beds were very comfortable.) The staff was very attentive and the nightly bed turn down and chocolate on the pillow certainly put a smile on our faces.

The location of this hotel cannot be beat. The Capitol is only a couple of blocks away. Union Station is only one block away. Not only is it convenient to hop on the Metro to see all the D.C. sites, but Union Station has a HUGE food court with great food and prices. We would definitely stay there again on our next visit. And yes, the Dubliner (the attached restaurant) does have a tasty breakfast.

Unprofessional Staff

by TripAdvisor Member Katze

Hi. Stayed 1 night on August 13. While I was waiting to get my key, a housekeeper came behind the desk and started complaining to the person working the front desk. They front desk person then stopped helping me in order to argue with the housekeeper over a room that someone was not supposed to occupy. This is so unprofessional!

The room was ok. It was clean but the bed was old and sagged. I had a terrible night's sleep.

I did park for free across the street in the government lot, so I saved money. I went to Union Station, which is just up the street for breakfast since I only wanted a bagel and some tea.

Since I would never stay at this hotel again, I do not recommend it. Next time I will pay a little more and stay at Hotel Monaco.

Good location

by TripAdvisor Member inbrass

My girlfriend and I stayed here 2 nights recently and encountered no problems at all. The rooms are a little bit dated in terms of decor and the mattress was a bit soft but our room was clean and comfortable and large. The front desk staff were helpful and friendly at all times. I chose this hotel because of its vicinity to Union station (we were travelling on a USA Rail Pass) and to all the major tourist places (Capitol, the Mall etc.). My only grumble would be that the room rate was not that great but I was willing to sacrifice a few pennies for the location. I would stay here again but only for a better room rate.

Dubliner and Phoenix Park HotelDubliner and Phoenix Park Hotel

Any comments about The Phoenix Park Hotel?

by elsombre

I just rented a room at The Phoenix Park Hotel. It is just north of the captial near the train station. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the hotel or neighborhood. It was reasonably priced through priceline (name your own price) and in walking distance of everything. Did I goof up.

RE: Any comments about The Phoenix Park Hotel?

by kmtrnj

We love it!!
We have been there three times so far, and are booked again for Labor Day weekend. For the price that we get, no complaints. Staff is friendly, helpful, room is nice sized, bathrooms clean etc.

RE: Any comments about The Phoenix Park Hotel?

by kmtrnj

I do have to say that the neighborhood is a little "iffy" at night, but I'm originally from the Bronx, so nothing bothers me, lol........Like I said in my previous post, I've never had a problem there.

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Washington Suites Georgetown

2500 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20037, United States

View all Washington D.C. hotels

Latest: Jul 11, 2014

Pheonix Park
Phoenix Park Washington Dc
Hotel Phoenix Park

Address: 520 North Capitol St NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20001, United States