Renaissance M Street Hotel

Booking.com Orbitz.com Renaissance Hotels

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• rmdw's Profile Photo

Superb yet Inexpensive Accommodations in DC

The Wyndham City Center was a great find! Not only is it a superb 3 to 4 star hotel in a fantastic location, but I was able to get a wonderful room for just $69 per night!

This special rate is called their "Web Special". They make it available for weekends where they're not selling out. And sometimes it's not even advertised on their corporate website, so be sure to call the directly.

Unique Quality: As you can see on the map, it's only about 10 blocks northwest of the White House and only 4 blocks from colourful Dupont Circle.

The closest metro stop is "Foggy Bottom - GWU", down New Hampshire Avenue, just on the other side of Washington Circle.

More about Renaissance M Street Hotel

Terrible experiences

My wife and I have stayed in this hotel about 6 times over the past several years (largely because of the corporate rate) hoping each time it would get better. The first two times were fine. The lobby is great and the rooms we were given were very nice. I am a By Request member and the initial treatment in all our trips has been very good. But our experience with the rooms and the hotel in general has deterioated severly over the past four trips. One one stay, there was jackhammering next door, on another the fire alarms went off at about 2am. When we called the front desk, they said to ignore it. About an hour later, it happened again. This time the front desk wouldn't even answer the phone. The next time they put us in a room with the HVAC system right below our window. This last trip is the final straw. The room was barely large enough to turn around in; the shower controls were reversed and the water was warm at best with low water pressure. We also couldn't turn off the heat controls and they didn't seem to respond to efforts to lower or raise the temperature setting on the thermostat. The past two trips, we have also experience respiratory problems. The rooms were stale and the carpet was dirty at the edges. The maid would vacuum quickly each day but didn't get close to the molding. She would then spray the carpet with something. This certainly isn't a 3-star hotel; 2 at best. Shula's is overpriced and the waiters rude. Won't stay there again.

Pleasant stay, but the rooms need updating

by TripAdvisor Member Kismet007

I was thrilled when I booked this hotel at a bargain rate to attend a conference at the Wyndham Washington, about 8 blocks (10 minute walk) away. (The Wyndham Washington's rate was more than double than at the City Center, even with the reduced rate conference attendees received). Checking in and out were seamless processes, but I didn't have much contact with staff otherwise. The lobby is very attractive with dark, hardwood floors and a large, comfortable seating area. The room I was assigned was a corner room and was extremely spacious (judging from the emergency exit map on my door, the corner rooms are the largest rooms). The bed was, as Wyndham always promises, extremely comfortable, and the bathroom included nice amenities from the Golder Door Spa. The room also had a coffee/tee maker, iron and ironing board, and cable TV, but no mini-bar (although they do set out 2 bottles of water for guests which cost $3.50 each). My room overlooked the rear of the building over some rooftops, a small area with trees, and into some office buildings--very quiet except for noisy vents on the roof. The hotel has a great location next to the Ritz, 4 blocks from DuPont Circle and the Metro there, and 10 blocks from Georgetown.

The only reason I can't give this experience a higher rating is because of the serious state of disrepair in the room. The walls and ceiling had major cracks that had been painted over in a non-matching color (it looked like maybe there had been water damage from the room above). The carpet, although vaccuumed, was so stained and icky looking that I didn't want even my socked feet to touch it. This was a smoking room, and there were multiple cigarette burns in the bedspread, curtains, and couch. Although the shower pressure was fine, the bathroom tiles were stained and cracked, and the wallpaper was peeling. Judging from another review, it sounds like the hotel is being rennovated; I would definitely ask for a newer room if staying here again as the older ones are in truly sad shape (although they may only give the old rooms to people who book bargain prices on-line).

My only other complaint was that housekeeping doesn't seem to have much respect for "Do Not Disturb" signs. They banged on my door twice when I had the sign hanging out.

Overall, I was glad to stay here and not at the Wyndham Washington, which has so many conferences and events that their admittedly lovely lobby is like a zoo. Although there was a conference being held at the Wydham City Center while I was there, too, the hotel is much smaller, quieter, and more intimate, and I barely even noticed the conference-goers. I would stay here again, but I would certainly ask in advance for a rennovated room. I would also suggest anyone staying at Wyndham hotels sign up for their free WyndhamByRequest program, which gets you a complimentary bottle of water, drink of your choice, and snack of your choice waiting in your room upon arrival, free local and long-distance calling (!), and 2pm check-out.

Recommended

by TripAdvisor Member G.G.N.

Booked this hotel in U.K. through Trailfinders, pay for 3 nights and get 1 free.
Staff friendly and helpful, rooms spacious and clean, with coffee/tea, ironing board, and good range of bathroom toiletries. It's a good central location, Foggy Bottom Metro 1000yds one way, and Dupoint Circle 1000yds the other, for eating places.
Covered as much sightseeing as possible but each museum or memorial or land mark needs double the time you've got to do them justice.So you may need to be selective. For us the Air and Space was amazing and the Holocaust chilling. For first timers the city tour is a must with informative drivers.
We would choose the Wyndham again.

A Good Stay

I stayed here for three nights in April and the stay was pleasant in every way. I arrived a little early, so my room wasn't ready. But the staff remedied that problem. The hotel staff was efficient if not overly friendly. The room was a nice size, clean and quiet. The bed was super comfortable. I liked the little amenities: the bathrobe, the scale, the lighted shaving mirror, the classical music playing as you walk into the room, the cordless phone. Overall, this was a good stay and I'd stay here again.

Just great!

by TripAdvisor Member drdjhr

This is an excellent hotel and my first choice for both business and leisure trips to D.C. It is just minutes away from Dupont Circle and quite close to other exciting and interesting areas of the city (Georgetown, Adams Morgan). I am always especially delighted with their “Wyndham ByRequest” program which offers a quick check-in process, extended check-out times, welcome snack and drink, music and other adjustments in the room according to personal preferences, as well as free high-speed internet access. Rooms (and bathrooms) are great and all the common areas are very nice too. Definitely highly recommended and perfect for a very pleasant and comparably not too expensive stay!

Shiney in the lobby, But rooms are deplorable

by TripAdvisor Member brenada

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights only, at a rate of $100/night. I looked at other reviews and our room did not have a bath scale, robes, etc. I did not even needed! All I asked for was a clean room. When I got there, I thought I was in a Super 8 Motel. The room was small and even their beds are small for a double... When the A/C unit starts it makes a loud noise so we preferred to turn it off. At night, you would hear all the traffic, and you would hear the first trucks around 7 AM( weekdays, only!). Don't plan to go there during weekdays since you might not get any sleep in between the noise from the traffic and that of the A/C. The bathroom was not really clean, carpet soiled but the worst is that I got a rash from some little black flying bugs that crawled on me from the bed. Two days after my trip and I am still struggling with the itch and rash. I will disinfect all the luggage since I saw the same kind of bug on my husband's leg while we were driving back home. Spare yourself the anguish and stay somewhere else. Oh, the staff said to all this...SORRY. Right, it helps!

Nothing to Rave About & Little to Complain About

by TripAdvisor Member 1stvisit

The City Center Wyndham (formerly Sheraton) has obviously redone the lobby, it's attractive and comfortable. Though this 60s' built hotel is just that, low ceilings, bland architecture, and showing signs of mechanical problems. I arrived on a hot June day; AC in the public areas didn't seem to be working very well, the lobby was warm and the hallways even warmer. Although rooms were comfortably cool, they were slightly smaller than average and with only one small window, rather dark.

Front desk staff was professional and pleasant. Concierge service was helpful but not always knowledgeable depending upon who was on duty.

This Wyndham was a good value for the price paid but at a higher room rate, I would probably look elsewhere in the district.

One of the better values in DC?

I think this is the first Wyndham at which I ever stayed. Some of the good points - nice bath products (Golden Door), very comfy Aeron-type chair, pretty comfy bed, professional front desk crew, wide hallways, pretty good soundproofing between rooms (or really quiet neighbors), heat lamp in the bathroom, nice lobby, pretty good location a few blocks from Foggy Bottom Metro stop (Blue or Orange lines - those few blocks feel a bit long though, partly because you have to walk through the Washington Circle traffic circle and median and partly because it always seems like DC intersections force you to walk on two legs of an isosceles triangle to reach the other side of the street! Bottom line, count on a 8-10 minute walk to the metro.

Cons - Some cosmetic issues - bedspread not the cleanest (though carpeting looked new and bathroom was clean), partially broken counter (one leg) in bathroom, paint peeling around window. Room service trays left in hallway for a long time - or someone across the hall was ordering room service constantly, dinky showerhead, old AC system that didn't seem to work all that well.

In balance though, this hotel is probably the best value I've seen in the District! I recommend it for a fairly comfortable, somewhat stylish safe stay in DC.

Deplorable-Stay Elsewhere

by TripAdvisor Member Grommit7

Perhaps I am just accustomed to very nice hotels, but this experience was most definitely one that will prevent me from staying at any Wyndham in the future. The hotel is simply in need of major renovation. Another review indicating that the lobby is shiny and the rooms are deplorable is on target. When you walk in, the lobby fools you into believing that the hotel is nice. The rooms are dingy, with dirty carpeting, peeling wallpaper, mold, mildew and you are left with a feeling that everything is unclean. Granted, I am very particular, but I had the misfortune of being in five rooms-with the fifth finally being just okay. The air conditioning units in two rooms were ridiculously loud and sounded as if a truck was driving through your room. Another room had a toilet that leaked all of the bathroom and the fourth room had black mildew on the carpet by the air conditioner with the floor soaking wet-obviously from the room smell it was a persistent problem.

While the staff really did try to make it right, there is no way to remedy the surroundings without major renovation and the staff acknowledged this, but at some point loss the interest to help because it seemed they knew that they couldn't help. Also, one morning a wake up did not arrive-luckily I was awake, but this could have been a major issue. Little things make a difference and this hotel misses the mark on many big and little issues.

There are simply too many good hotels in DC that would have comparable rates-choose one besides the Wyndham City Center.

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

The Dupont Hotel

1500 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20036, United States

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Renaissance M Street Hotel

M Street Hotel Washington Dc
Renaissance Washington Dc
Washington Dc Renaissance

Address: 1143 New Hampshire Avenue NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20037, United States