806 15th Street NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20005, United States
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 26% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Sofitel Washington DC

Style, class, and service!

After scouring the web looking for a hotel to stay for the weekend in DC, my girlfriend and I found Sofitel Lafayette Square. This place is refined class. The service was outstanding, professional and eager to help, whether checking in, finding good restaurants, special requests, etc. The rooms are beautifully and tastefully decorated. I loved the genuine down comforter and pillows on the king sized bed. Unqualified recommendation for this hotel.

Super Sofitel

The Sofitel Lafayette Square is my new favorite hotel in D.C. after three delightful stays here in the last 6 months. Superb location, outstanding staff, comfortable rooms, good food and "je ne sais quoi" make it wonderful for business and personal visits.

The welcome is always warm, but not intrusive; staff seem attuned to individual needs and respond rapidly to special requests. For example, the beds feature a feather top and a heavy duvet, which is too warm for me. Housekeeping delivered a top sheet and offered to remake my bed within minutes. Room service delayed my promised late dinner order by 3 minutes to ensure I had freshly cooked pommes frites, a welcome treat after summer thunderstorms delayed my arriving flight. The bellhop actually asks if you want to keep your bag or have it delivered, rather than spiriting away with it for 20 minutes as is done at some hotels.

The rooms are modern and comfortable with simple but gracious furnishings. Wood paneling above the bed, a glass-topped work desk, and marble vanity are a few examples. The air conditioning works well and is quiet; there are separate controls for each room in the suites. Easy-to-use high speed internet access in the rooms is $9.95 per day.

From the Sofitel, one can readily access most of the major D.C. sights on foot or through the Metro, an easy 3 block walk to the blue, orange and red lines. A few blocks past the White House and Ellipse, the Mall and Tidal Basin unfold for runners. This is a special treat in April when the cherry blossoms are out, but go early to avoid crowds or take it in as a leisurely afternoon jog. The hotel also has a basic but well maintained exercise room with several treadmills, bicycles and weight machines.

Generally, I'm not a fan of hotel restaurants. However, during my most recent visit, Cafe 15 had an advisory Michelin 3 Star chef visiting from the Alsace, who offered a tasting menu for $59 and matched wines for an additional $20, a bargain for any "star collector". As anticipated, the food was stellar. And once again, the staff really made the experience sparkle through attentive but not hurried service. Along with several other parties, I was enjoying al fresco dining when a thunderstorm struck. All of us were escorted inside under umbrellas and seating was found despite the restaurant being heavily booked. The kitchen remade main plates for a couple who were halfway through theirs before the rain without being asked. It's experiences like this--not once, not twice, but as a matter of course--that make me a Sofitel devotee.

Sofitel is Stupendous!

by TripAdvisor Member glorydaz

From the moment we pulled up to the front entrance to the moment we headed home...everything was perfect! Before I begin though, I must say that using TripAdvisor has become second nature for me before I book any of my trips - short or long. I highly recommend them to one and all! Because of all the excellent reviews I read prior to making my reservation, we picked this hotel.

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Sofitel from July 1 to July 3...we arrived from New York at 11:30am and amazingly, our room was ready! I had taken the time to join up for the Sofitel Privilege card (free on their website) thus allowing early check-in. We were also entitled to late check-out ( uo to 4pm) at no additional cost. The doorman , valet, bellhop and front desk manager were all friendly. courteous and extremely gracious. Our luggage arrived at our room 1 minute after we did..and what a magnificent room!

I had upgraded to a deluxe king with a city view contacting Sofitel direct ( fantastic rate- $145 per night) and it was absolutely beautiful! Luxurious and spotless.a corner room with windows facing out onto 15th street. I cannot stress how immaculate the room was...furnishings on the modern side , many fluffy pillows on the bed and a super soft duvet. The bath had a separate glass enclosed shower and separate tub. While not exceptionally deep, it served the purpose rather well. The water pressure was strong and the water as hot as you wanted. Toiletries and towels well supplied. The front closet had a safe and I especially liked the storage for shoes and drawers...well out of sight. While the room had no refrigerator or coffee maker, we managed to be creative. I brought along a small cooler from home to hold water, coffee creamer and other assorted goodies. As the ice machine was right outside, we just kept replenishing as needed. The hotel offers a complimentary coffee bar from 6:30am to 10am in their downstairs lounge. We just filled a carafe and brought it up to the room. Excellent coffee.

On our first night, after a long day of sightseeing, we decided to order room service. My boyfriend called to inquire about the crabcake burger. The young lady who answered wasn't sure of the reply and had the chef call our room to converse with my boyfriend! I was completely amazed and impressed!! If that is not service, then I don't know what is! The food was hot, delicious and delivered quickly. So that the tables don't stay in your room or in the hallway, all you do is call and they will retrieve it for you upon completion. The conceirge gave us a list of restaurants in the Chinatown area (about 7-8 blocks away) and we brought in takeout on our second evening.

The air-conditioning worked well and the room was well sound-proofed. Turn-down service is provided if you like. My request for extra towels, pillows and soap was handled promptly and with a smile. The only suggestion I have is provide two robes if there are two guests. The valet brought our car quickly with no problems.

Check-out was quick, the bill was correct and the conceirge answered all of our questions and more. For me, there is NO other hotel in Washington! We take many short weekend trips and have for quite a few years. I have to say that this hotel is in my top two ever and I cannot think of a higher compliment to give them!

We spoke to the day manager, Mr. Fix, about booking for later this year and he advised us to call him so he could arrange for our room and any other requests we might have. Service above and beyond. As you can see, I cannot say enough wonderful things about the Sofitel Lafayette Square but don't take my word for it - stay there and experience it for yourselves!

Great Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Thirtysomething

Just wanted to mention that this is a wonderful hotel. The rooms are beautiful and clean, my husband wanted to take the bed home with us because it was so comfortable! The service is also great, very attentive staff! The location is super convenient. Close to the mall and The Whitehouse.

Good hotel and great value

by TripAdvisor Member jah123

I have stayed at the Sofitel about 6 times in the past year. I often stay in DC for the night prior to a meeting. Thus, I am in the hotel for only part of one day. Given the prices charged I find the Sofitel to be my first choice. The rooms are very comfortable and the restuarant in the hotel or in the neighberhood (e.g. DC Coast or Gerards) are outstanding. Other hotels in Sofitel's class are usually over $200 more expensive during the week. Thus, unless you must have an early morning swim, I highly recommend this hotel. The exercise room is adequate and the neighberhood is very convenienbt for a walk to your next morning's meeting.

Very nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member blue_highways

The Sofitel is a very nice hotel - It is centrally located about a block and a half from the White House. The hotel is very tastefully decorated...the place is really kind of hip without being over the top. My bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet. The staff is friendly and attentive - upon arriving from a morning run on the mall, I was given a bottle of water and a towel.

I will definitely seek out the Sofitel the next time I'm in Washington.

excellent 8 night stay

by TripAdvisor Member MorganB

Stayed in the Sofitel for 8 nights in May.

The Pluses:

The rooms were beautiful (see pics). Beds have a down mattress pad that is very soft but not to soft, baths have full shower and tub. Bathroom products are standard Sofitel which means Roger et Gallet which is excellent. Beautiful heavy curtains that blocked out the light well. Staff was outstanding. The concierge was very helpful and helped us with restaurant ideas and reservations on more than one occassion. We had eaten at Old Ebbitts near the hotel on our own and had to wait 1h20 mins for a table. latter in the trip we wanted to eat there again and the concierge was able to secure a reservation for the same evening only 2 hours in advance. Saved us the wait and we were given a very nice table. Room service breakfast was a fair value at 14 dollars for a continental with fresh squeezed juice, croissants, raisin danish and coffee. The bar was a hopping place and seemed well liked amoung locals. its a short walk to the White House and a quick metro ride to the Mall.

The Minuses:

Housekeeping is usually outstanding in Sofitels however, I felt it was only good in this hotel. The rooms were always clean and the beds well made but they did not do the little extras like straighten up the room when clothes,book, shoes, belts etc. were about. They never changed the fresh flowers in the 8 nights we were there so they were quite dead. They often forgot to leave the room service breakfast order form.

With the exception of breakfast the room service menu was over priced and uninteresting. The hotel restaurant was also uninspiring and pricey.

Although close to the sites, it is a business area so it clears out at 6 pm and is very dead on the weekend. There are very few restaurants within walking distance of the hotel that are open for dinner.

Terrible view from the window. Check it out in my photos. We had two rooms, both with the same view. From looking at the floor map it looked like several rooms on each floor had this type of view. Be sure to ask for a room facing the street if you like to look out the window.

A few snafoos

by TripAdvisor Member pursuit

My boyfriend and I stayed at this spotless hotel earlier this month. If clean is what you want (and it is definitely top 3 for me), you won't be disappointed. Even the top shelves in the amoire were spotless--love that. Nice size rooms. Great simple decor.

Now the service is another matter. Yes they are a French hotel chain and I guess the staff are told to incorporate certain French terms into their conversations, but I was tired of them calling "Monsieur" (I do not, in any shape, sound or form, resemble a male). AND BEWARE when checking your car--they "misplaced" my boyfriend's car keys (the valet apparently took them home with him...hmmmmm.) Luckily they located them within a few hours, but no, the staff, including the management, are not the sharpest minds.

That being said, if touring the city is what you want, you really cannot beat the location (around the corner from a metro, a block away from the White House, clean and safe area of town, walkable to the Mall and all the monuments).

Magnifique!

by TripAdvisor Member Nicagirl

My husband, 1 year old son, and I stayed at this hotel for Memorial Day Weekend. We loved it. The location is GREAT - only 2 blocks from the White House.
The room was very comfortable and clean. The decor is simplistic and classy. The bed is VERY comfortable - you don't want to get out of it. The Roger & Gallet bathroom amenities are a real treat and housekeeping replenishes them everyday. The complimentary Evian bottle placed in our room everyday was also nice touch.

We did not try the restaurants or bar at the hotel, however, the bar appears to be pretty popular.
We did order breakfast room service everyday. The price for room service was a bit expensive but what can you expect IT'S ROOM SERVICE. For example it cost $14(not including the 25% tax) for a continental breakfast which consisted of 3 pieces of bread and coffee.

The only downside of our room was the view it had. We had a view of another building. However that is probably why we received such a good deal on the room - 1st night $279, 2nd and 3rd nights $179.

As to eating around the hotel -
We recommend eating at the Old Ebbitt Grille, the prices are very reasonable and the food and service is very good.
We DO NOT recommend eating at Olives - They do not have any high chairs for young children, the service is bad and the food is mediocre. Not worth the $200 we paid for the three of us.

A little like the Champs Elysee

You wouldn't know that the operators of this hotel also run the Motel 6 chain. This is a French owned and operated component of the Accor chain. European and Asian travelers will be familiar with this and other brands.

The hotel is quite absorbing with competent service. The morning coffee bar beside the lobby, provides a comfortable rendezvous point before your early business start. If you're on holiday, it's a 5-minute walk to the White House! Need the Metrorail or bus? It's right there, too!

Depending on your room, you may not get a view. And the faucets for the bath water work in reverse for determining hot/cold. But the turndown service might provide a few surprises. I got a very large shoe horn. And the bath items displayed a strong French influence.

There are also health club and sport facilities. But no coffee in the room! Like I said, shower and head down to the lobby early! If you like southern cuisine, Georgia Brown's is 2 blocks away.

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

The Dupont Hotel

1500 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20036, United States

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Grand Hyatt Washington
Best Western Capitol Skyline Hotel
Latest: Apr 9, 2014
The Carlyle Suites Hotel
The Melrose Hotel, Washington D.C.
One Washington Circle Hotel

Washington Dc Sofitel
Accor Washington Dc
Sofitel Washington Dc Hotel Washington Dc

Address: 806 15th Street NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20005, United States