Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 32% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Travmad's Profile Photo

Diplomatic hotel

We had a wonderful weekend stay at the Churchill. Being a few blocks north on Connecticut Ave from DuPont circle, there are plenty of restaurants shops within a short walking distance of the hotel. Valet parking is $33.60 per night although you can park on the street with all the other diplomats for free after seven thirty on Fridays for the entire weekend without a permit. There is a restaurant on site although we didn't have anything from it so I have no opinion.

Unique Quality: Our room was very pleasing, with a small fridge tasteful wall paper and furniture. An extremely comfy king bed with smooth sheets and a nice view from room 615. The bathroom is on the small side if you are used to giant American modern bathroom but is to be expected in an older hotel with style.

Directions: Just a few blocks north of DuPont circle.

• A good find

I spent a long weekend in a spacious room at the Churchill. It's a very good value for the price and they maintain it very well, although it is an older building and has some minor idiosyncrasies. For me it was well worth it. I tried room service once and the food was pretty good. Very easy to get a taxi outside or walk to stores, etc. I'd say the nearest metro station is close to a 10-minute walk, so that might be a downside if you're expecting metro access right outside the door. It has a small gym with up-to-date cardio equipment (only).

Unique Quality: My room included a small sofa and coffee table, which was a very welcome addition. It was not your typical cramped room like many newer hotels offer.

• Erin74's Profile Photo

A historic and comfortable hotel

The Churchill is a historical hotel conveniently located just north of DuPont Circle. It is walking distance to shops, restaurants and the subway. This is definitely an older hotel, but I found it to be very charming and it's been well kept up. They don't have a high-speed internet connection in the rooms, but every other modern convenience is in place. I highly recommend upgrading to a suite. Our suite was enormous-- a large living room, a small office with writing table, large bedroom, bathroom and several closets. This place is a very good bargain, in my opinion.

More about The Churchill Hotel

A Different Experience

I just attended a conference in Washington, DC and decided to try the Churchill.

Pros: The hotel is very quaint and has a European feel. The hotel is a small one and the staff are very efficient. All requests are attended to immediately. The prices were more than reasonable. The turn down service and complementary bottles of water each evening was a nice added touch. The hotel is withing walking distance of everything!

Cons: The hotel is on a very busy street and most of the street noise is heard. The rooms are large but much of the space is wasted. The space next to the "office" are was completely empty, and i felt the hotel could have used the extra space to its advantage by adding a small refrigerator, microwave, and coffeepot. The bathrooms are terribly small, and in my case, the toilet had to be flushed 2-3x before everything went down.

I liked the hotel, but did not love it. All in all, I would stay there again.

great and happy surprise

by TripAdvisor Member calinurse

Stayed here in April 2003. Wha a joy to find this place after one night at the terrible Hilton across the street (where rooms were awful and drab).
The Churchill was inexpensive (99/night) with a huge room, beautiful furnishings (apparently a recent re-modeling had been done) and a great Eurpean feel. Lovely bedding, lots of nice toiletries. I don't recall the bathroom being small, but I do recall new-looking, bright and shiny fixtures. There were four of us in the room, but because of its size, and the adjoining room (making it more of a suite) we never felt crowded. I will stay here again on my next trip to DC. Also, we loved the area just up the hill and across the highway overpass (about a five minute walk)--with its neighborhood feel and good restaurants. (Wish i could recall the names of some, but hte hotel would know.)

One of Washinton's Best Addresses

We stayed here for one week in May while on business. I discovered that this hotel was built in 1912 as a luxury apartment building. It is included in the book "Best Addresses of Washington". It became a hotel in the 1950s and wa remodeled again in 2002. We had a junior suite on the 9th floor overlooking the street. Even with the street noise (should be expected staying on a main route in DC) we liked staying here. We watched the crowds in their evening wear leave the Hilton across the street leaving the WH Correspondents Dinner in a light rain one night. I would check to see what people were wearing before leaving for the day.

The room was large with a comfy king size bed, two easy chairs with a table in between. This was a plus to have two chairs to relax in after a long day. Most rooms will only have one comfy chair. I agree with another reviewer that a small refrig and coffee maker would be a good addition to the small room off the bedroom. It was handy for computer work and storage of luggage. Our corner room had 3 big windows facing the street and one facing the opposite wing of the hotel. The heavy curtains were sufficient to block the light for sleeping.

The bathroom is small but has a frosted window so natural light was a bonus. The dressing area is separate from the bathroom and doors could be closed which is nice when you are a couple. I asked and received extra hangers since we were staying a week.

The bar is small and initimate and a nice place to relax. The dining room is small, designed for the hotel guests rather than attracting outsiders. The food was good and service attentive.

The hotel is in the directory for small luxury hotels. We found it using a web search egine when another hotel was booked. We enjoyed the ambiance and small size rather than the impersonal large chain hotels and the price is right.

If you are a walker, you will enjoy the neighborhood with so many shops and restaurants on Conn. Av. It is on the edge of the high end Kalomara District and about 4 blocks from the Dupont Metro stop. We used the city bus to get around also with a stop just steps away from the hotel.

Still a Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Berkeleytraveler

This is the third time I've stayed at this hotel, although during the previous two visits the hotel was owned by different companies. I was a bit concerned about the hotel after reading some of the other reviews. However, I was delighted with my reception and the very large room I was given. Unfortunately, a noisy party was going on in the room next door, which I could hear in the bedroom. When I asked the young man at the front desk if it was possible to change rooms, he graciously responded that he would upgrade me. I was given a well-appointed room with two bay windows overlooking the street. Fortunately, I was not bothered by the street noise. Enjoyed the breakfast in the restaurant and the drinks and free hors d' oevres in the small bar. I do not think I would want to stay anywhere else in D.C. because of the large, comfortable rooms, very pleasant staff, and fantastic location in the Embassy Row area, which is easily accessible to both the Metro and the bus, costing $1.00, to Georgetown.

Great Location

Me and my husband stayed here for one Friday night in July 2004. We paid $75 including taxes via Priceline. This hotel is the perfect location for access to Adams Morgan (and Dupont Circle). It is a easy 5-10 minute walk to Adams Morgan without a hill. Lovely area. Our room was not enormous at all, perhaps because we booked through Priceline. However the King bed was comfortable and the room was nicely decorated. The bathroom was ridiculously small. The absolute smallest bathroom I've ever encountered and I have endured small bathrooms in Europe. The bathroom issue would have been a problem if we had stayed more than one night. The staff is friendly and helpful and even let us check in at 9:30 am! For the price and location, this can't be beat.

Note to coffee drinkers: No coffee maker in the room but I did see one sitting outside of someone's room which leads me to believe that if you ask, they may be able to provide you with one.

half and half

by TripAdvisor Member Concorde2003

The hotel checked me in nicely as requested to a high floor room, the 8th.

I had read on the Internet about their large rooms, and mine was, but it felt empty rather than spacious. There were no tea/coffee making facilitities, which I had just assumed would be a basic facility. The hotel confirmed these weren't provided but that I could get coffee from room service. No thank you at that cost and incovenience. Again as said by an earlier reviwer, the study area seemed bereft, and would have been much improved by a fridge.

On the plus side, the air conditioning worked liked a dream (efficient and quiet), the breakfast menu was excellent and the staff very attentive. Top marks. Cleaning of the room was very good and unobtrusive. The elevators/lifts were very available. The complimentary bottle of water later in the evening was a nice touch, and nicely delivered. Hotel location was good too, just a few blocks down to DuPont station and the excellent DC Metro.

Overall I left the hotel happier than I found it. So that is a plus.

Smells Like Puke

by TripAdvisor Member etohprn

Was there for Halloween. Great location, but lousy service. The front desk never answered the phone. Housekeeping incessantly knocks on the door at all hours of the day. My room smelled like urine and vomitus all weekend. I asked housekeeping to address the smell, but nothing ever materialized. Overall a very beautiful hotel, with subpar service.

DP
Greensboro, NC

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Washington Suites Georgetown

2500 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20037, United States

View all Washington D.C. hotels

Days Inn Connecticut Ave
One Washington Circle Hotel

Churchill Washington Dc
The Churchill Hotel Washington Dc

Address: 1914 Connecticut Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20009, United States