The Fairfax at Embassy Row Washington D.C.

4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel
LuxuryCollection Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• TJS1's Profile Photo

Best Hotel in Washington DC

Very impressed with the luxurious appointments in this Hotel. Unfortunately for us we only had 2 nights stay as we were on a short visit.

The staff were courtious and pleasant, and it had a pleasant bar to unwind in after a day tramping around the sites of Washington DC

Unique Quality: As we used this hotel primarily as somewhere to wind down after a days sightseeing we only required a quiet bar and a comfortable bed.

Our expectations were surpassed - up to this point in my life this hotel had the best appointed bedroom of any hotel I had stayed in.

To top-off a great stay in DC we took a stretch limo from the hotel to the airport - very posh indeed!

Directions: Near Dupont Circle, convenient for Connecticut Avenue shopping and The Kennedy Centre for performing arts.

• jbkac's Profile Photo

Good location, Nice rooms

We booked this hotel not knowing too much about it's location. We did know it was a Westin and we never had a bad experience.
    Excellent staff, rooms were wonderful and the bed was one of the most comfortable I've slept in.
    Great location - close to the Metro, Starbucks and various restaurants.
    Two big warnings:
    A) Our Trip to Washington DC was in 2004 and from what I understand this hotel is going through extensive remodeling due to being pretty run down.
    B) The Area is wonderful BUT at night it is a "gay" hotspot. If you are homophobic you may not be a "happy camper". We didn't care and loved the place.

Unique Quality: Just a unique tidbit:
    This hotel was once a Ritz Carlton
    This Hotel was the childhood home of AL Gore (isn't that exciting)!

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Priceline in DuPont Circle

I was having trouble bidding on Priceline for Friday and Saturday in DuPont Circle (stopped at $90) so I ended up breaking my trip into 2 pieces and stayed one night at the Westin Embassy Row. I bid $85 for a 3* in DuPont Circle and ended up with the 4* Westin.

I liked the location a lot, a few blocks from the red line metro, a nice walk down the beginning of Embassy Row on Massachusetts St. The surrounding area is filled with restaurants (see review for Pizza Paradiso), shops and beautiful mansions now housing embassies. There are several places to grab breakfast in the area including a Krispy Kreme if you're in a hurry, a couple of bakeries and Kramer's.

Unique Quality: Room-Westin has the Heavenly Beds which I love, lots and lots of comfy pillows and bedding! There was a in room safe, minibar, TV with a few stations including Showtime, internet connection (extra fee) and AC. I didn't have much of a view but really no hotels in Washington DC do because of the height restrictions.

Bathroom-shower had plenty of hot water and the Heavenly Shower which gives you multiple settings, toiletries included soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion, huge fluffy towels, a hair dryer and a coffeemaker with Starbucks products.

Directions: DuPont Circle

More about The Fairfax at Embassy Row Washington D.C.

Neighborhood-DuPont Circle

by Dabs

My final night in DC was spent at the Westin Embassy Row near DuPont Circle so on my last morning I took a walk through the neighborhood to view some of the fine mansions that now house embassies, walking over to the Bison bridge. If you continue on Q St. past the bridge, you would be in Georgetown.

The DuPont Circle neighborhood is a fashionable area, with many restaurants, shops, bookstores and coffeeshops and a large gay community.

I was only able to try one restaurant, Pizzeria Paradiso, which was open Sunday for lunch unlike many of the other places I wanted to try.

I stopped by Kramer Books and Afterwords which came highly recommended by both Fodor's and Vter Kentbein but was only able to stay for a minute. It looked like a fine place to grab a cup of coffee, dessert or breakfast.

Please see my travelogue for some more pictures of the DuPont Circle area.

Over-priced & over-rated!

by TripAdvisor Member Murcon

I hate to be so negative, but I really did find this hotel totally over-rated. When we were checked in, our room was fine but with a tiny bathroom. There was NO complementary water in the room, despite being a 4 star hotel and paying hefty room rates. When I asked the staff about water in the room, they scoffed at the idea of complementary water, and in general were snooty and unhelpful in all my dealings with the hotel staff.

Regarding location, the Fairfax is located close to Dupont Circle, which we found to be quite quiet, and missing the buzz, shops and restaurants that are all present at Georgetown. If it's your first trip to DC, as this was for us, I would definitely stay in Georgetown and experience great atmosphere and have shops and restaurants on your doorstep.

A winner of a place!

by TripAdvisor Member laurariv48

This hotel has everything, great location, 1 block to Metro, walking distance to many restaurants, pharmacy, great neighborhood, hotel is very clean, great spacious elegant rooms, the staff was very friendly and helpful, I'd stay here again and again! do your homework and book early and you can find deals, the best area to stay if you are visiting DC for vacation is this area around Dupont Circle, easy access to everything!

Great Location in a Nice Neighborhood in DC

by TripAdvisor Member Doraemon79

First Time visiting DC. Picked this hotel due to its amazing promotion price.

Location: Unbeatable, its only 1 block to the Red Line Dupont Circle Metro Station. 24 hour Pharmacy only 3 mins walking. Couple starbucks nearby and great pizza places that open late (and very affordable). There are some decent places to shop nearby too. Also walkable to Georgetown, M Street.

Service: Overall nice, doorman is very attentive. Housekeeping people are very nice. I think it will be better if they can retrain their front desk and concierage personal (the guy, not the girl one).

Room: Refurbished late 2008. Everything is in a nice condition. No wear n tears. Crisp Italian Linen & Towels (Frette). Turndown available nightly. Nice pillowtop bed. AC is quite and works very well. Water pressure in the bathroom is very strong too. If you are staying on the side facing Massachusetts Ave. You may be encounter some noise at night so advice the hotel people prior to check in if you are a light sleeper.

Gym: Lots brand new cardios and weights. One of the nicer hotel gym I have been so far. There were fresh fruits and chilled towels for you to use as well.

I will definitely return to this hotel if I am back to this area and able to find a decent rate. This is a definitely step up from its previous Westin transformation. Goodjob!

Good stay for the right price

by TripAdvisor Member Love2TravelVA

I found a great deal on travelzoo.com ($99 including $30 valet parking, during cherry blossom weekend). It worked great for us. Our room was very clean, and looked like it was recently remodeled. However, it is the smallest hotel room I've ever stayed in. It also had a very annoying feature - loud air conditioning that kicked in every few minutes because the room was so small and heated up quickly. The area is very nice with convenient metro location (red line two blocks away). Overall it was a great stay, but I wouldn't pay more than $99. Also, the restaurant posted by a traveler with a long review in January of 2009 is actually Open City Diner (need Woodley Park Metro stop). We didn't try it - were looking for Gotham City as the reviewer stated.

Royalty

by TripAdvisor Member kminichan

From the time we arrived until we departed, we were treated like royalty. This hotel is a gem that is richley infused with history and elegance. The staff went above and beyond to assist us and wait on us, even loaning their personal umbrella to us the next day. The rooms were classy and quaint, with comfortable beds. The large bathroom was a treat. The Jockey Club Restaurant was fabulous and worth every dime. The location also is perfect for safe walking and anything you want within a couple of blocks.For two moms who were away on business, this hotel went above and beyond our expectations and we can't wait until we return.

Comfortable, Clean and Convenient

by TripAdvisor Member germ

I paid the unbelievable rate of $99w/valet parking rate which may slightly cloud this review.

Room - Very clean and comfortable. We had a king room with a roll-away and had a decent amount of space for two adults and a three year old. Along with the beds, we had a small couch, chair, desk and flat screen TV. (Had read the reviews about small rooms and went in with low expectations regarding size). I did notice the noise from the heating/cooling mentioned in other reviews, but it was not a distraction for us.

Bathroom - The bathroom was spotless. The counter space at the sink is small, so be prepared for that.

Service - Thought staff was very friendly and helpful. Only minor glitch was had to call twice to get a pillow for the roll-away. I did overhear a couple other guests complaining about service related things while I was there.

Location - Excellent. Right on Embassy row. A block and a half or so from the Dupont Circle metro stop and the stores/restaurants around Dupont circle. Hotel is also one block from some good restaurants on P street.

Facilities - Exercise room was well equipped and had TV's on all equipment. Did not go to the restaurant or use room service. Overall, a fairly small hotel.

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

The Dupont Hotel

1500 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20036, United States

Omni Shoreham Hotel

The Carlyle Suites Hotel
Westin Washington, DC City Center
AKA White House
Latest: Apr 12, 2014

The Fairfax at Embassy Row Washington D.C.

Westin Washington Dc
Washington Dc Westin
The Fairfax At Embassy Row Hotel Washington Dc

Address: 2100 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20008, United States