1823 L St. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20036, United States

Expedia.com Travelocity Booking.com

• Do not talk to Christian the rude front desk clerk

If you are going to stay at The Quincy, please talk to front desk clerks, mainly Djanja, but definitly not Christian. My Story: I'm an out-of-towner from South Carolina who booked The Quincy strictly because you can check-in during any point of your date of check-in. When I made it to Washington DC for a buisness seminar at 1am I got Christian as my front desk clerk. He told me that the rooms were totally booked (can't help that) but even when rooms did become available I would have to wait until 3pm to check-in. Not so with other front desk reps. I called beforehand. My seminar was at 9am so I have no way of checking in. I asked if it was fine if I could check in early, Christian told me NO and said that he could cancel my reservation and I can find another hotel. Rude. As a front desk clerk for a hotel working in the service industry, you must reason with the customer. So after he said that I said that I would wait until I had a room. (mind you I have already booked a reservation). I asked the Assistant Manager on duty Danja, and he told me that he was working on the situation and I would get a room shortly, but when I talked to Christian, he said that he could cancel my reservation and make sure that I had a hotel (but i would be charged double versus being charged only once) that I COULDN'T check in until 3pm very loud and rude. Then he went over the line: he said that I couldn't sit in the lobby while I waited for a room and that I had to sit outside in my car until a room came. Because of that, I'm putting this review in becasue NO ONE should have to sit outside 2-4am in Downtown Washington DC while they wait for a hotel room. NO ONE. This was the only hotel close to my seminar, other hotels that were cheaper were not by a metro and I'm not the best driver and I really didn't want to drive in DC traffic. So I waited outside. I called my brother and told him what was going on and he immediately called the front desk to get him. When I had to go use the bathroom (in the hotel. if they didn't allow that this would be BBB'd.) Christian then said to me, " Do you think that your family calling in is going to help your situation? Do you think it's going to help?" I said to him, "All I want to do is resolve the situation and get a room. period." Danja was the only one that was like," Its ok, everythings going to be fine, we'll have this worked out. When I talk to the manager you'll get your room." He was really nice. So I'm not telling you to not stay at The Quincy because it's your money, but please check the reviews on this place first and talk to a good front desk person. Danja is the best. Christian is the worst. They say that hindsight is 50/0 but had I known any inclination on what was going on here, I probably not have booked with them. Hendly park costs 189/night if you can afford it. Unfortunately I didn't have the luxury to afford both days that I needed and that's why I'm in this mess.I bet before this review is even published he wouldn't have a job working at The Quincy. People shouldn't have to go through what I went through with him.

Unique Quality: Danja. Really good rep/asm.

• kimblevins's Profile Photo

Inexpensive and Friendly

I stayed a Friday night at The Quincy and wished I had stayed there all week instead of my expensive conference hotel. Instead of $300 a night, I paid $129 at The Quincy for a larger, much nicer room with cool restaurants right out the door. The staff was extremely friendly. They offerred to keep my bags after I checked out; I didn't even have to ask. I will stay there again. They even had a refrigerator and a microwave. There was also a large wrap-around couch! The bathroom was smaller but there were two or three mirrors out in the room so people could get ready.

Unique Quality: Near restaurants. Very close to the fun K street bars. A short 5-block walk to the White House.

• CulturalCompetence's Profile Photo

Blah Hotel

Can you say "Boring!?" This hotel's design scheme is very sparse - there is way too much beige in this place! The hotel staff seem unmotivated. We stayed there in October 2004 and the hotel staff informed us that the hotel was "for sale." It was clean, but definitely nothing special. Don't put money in their "internet" connection machine. The internet didn't work the entire time I was there. The staff didn't know where the closest library or internet cafe was. You would think they could have looked that up for us!

Unique Quality: Decent location near DuPont Circle. Within walking distance of the Metro.

Directions: DuPont Circle area

More about The Quincy

Spellbound D.C.

by leafmcgowan about Saturdays at Recessions

Saturdays @ 9 pm until 2 am * Recessions (below the Quincy Hotel) * 1823 L Street N.W. * Washington, D.C. * $7 Cash cover at the door * 21+ *

Mardi Gras! - This particular club-going experience was decked all out for celebrating Mardi Gras. Costuming was highly encouraged as well as donning the beads and masks. Don't have one, they provided masks at the door for $1. Excellent idea for clubs pushing costumed nights as it helped this weary traveller who walked the streets of downtown D.C. looking for masks to prepare yet didn't find one. On foot from the local Hostelling International, about 8 blocks away, that came as a welcomed idea. They also beaded us up as we entered the door. I arrived around 10 pm, it was slow to populate, but the music was good minus some speaker issues they were having. I had my fill of the cheap on special themed Hurricane drinks and got some good dancing in. Patrons all seemed to have a good time and the ambiance was very nice. DJs Shade, Transept, and Skunque did a fabulous job. Great music and selections. Great dancing and festivities. Recessions also served some good food, I had the Crab cakes which were affordable and quite tasty. Much more mature crowd at Spellbound. Rating: 3.75 stars out of 5.

The 6th President was ADAMS,...

by Routeman

The 6th President was ADAMS, JOHN QUINCY, party = Democratic - Republican, Term = 1825 - 1829 , Palce of birth = Braintree, Massachusetts, Born = 07/11/1829, Died = 02/23/1848, Burial place = Quincy, Mass.

Shh.. who's whispering the secrets of the Capitol

by mht_in_la

Inside the Statuary Hall of U.S. Capitol, find a spot that marks "John Quincy Adams". I don't know who he is, but if you stay close to the spot you may be able to hear some secrets of the Capitol whispered into your ears...

It's the unexpected result of the architecture. Our Capitol guide demonstrated this effect by whispering at the opposite spot of the room, and we could hear her clearly at "John Quincy Adams" spot regardless how noisy the room was.

Just as the reviews described!

by TripAdvisor Member BucksTraveller-7

We have just returned from a trip to the States during which we stayed at the Quincy. We booked the hotel after reading reviews on the website and we were not disappointed. The rooms are very comfortable and recently decorated. The bed had a 'pillow top' mattress and was the best we have had anywhere we have stayed. The housekeeping was excellent and even included a turndown service.
There are plenty of local restaurants to suit most tastes and the pub next door serves pretty good food and has an interconnecting door with the lobby so you don't even have to go outside if raining.
The hotel is very conveniently situated and in walking distance for most of the tourist sites and museums. If you don't want to walk, the subway is very close to the hotel.
If we return to Washington, it will be to the Quincy Hotel

Pleasant stay in downtown Washington, DC

by TripAdvisor Member swj

The Quincy Hotel is located in downtown Washington DC in the heart of the financial district., just two blocks from Metro stations. Our room was was nicely appointed in a modern style. It was kept very clean. A small kitchen was part of the room; full sized refrigerator, full stove plus microwave oven. The bathroom was well appointed and also very clean. We found the bed comfortable. The room had two closets - his and hers!

The staff was friendly and helpful. There was a little confusion that I had used their website to extend our stay but the front desk did not have the updated information. Fortunately, room was available and there was no trouble extending our stay.

Our room was somewhat warmer than we would have liked and there was no way to cool it down. Both wireless and wired internet service was available at no cost and worked just fine. A copy of the Washington Post appeared at out door every morning.

The hotel has no restaurant. It does have a parking garage with high prices commensurate with the area.

Altogether, we found the room very comfortable. The only down-side was that even on the 9th floor we had quite a bit of street noise.

2 Star Hotel with 4 Star Beds

by TripAdvisor Member brevets

Based on the positiive reviews and close proximity to a meeting, I decided to give the Quincy a try. Maybe I just had a bad room, but I found the Quincy to be basically an old, tired hotel.

Pros:
- Central location
- Comfortable bed
- Good shower / water pressure
- Inexpensive
- Free (but very slow) wireless

Cons:
- Little control over room temp (apparently the only options in the winter months are hot and hotter...or open a window)
- Noisy: rooms on the back of the building are above what seems like every dumpster in the city...that are emptied in the loudest manner possible between 3-5am.
- Old: Common areas show the true age of this place, and there was plaster coming off the ceiling in my room.

In summary, if your primary criteria are location and price, then this place is ok. Otherwise, look elsewhere for a more enjoyable experience and a better night's sleep.

Overall very good but a bit uneven at times

by TripAdvisor Member skywaker9

The Quincy is a very well-located hotel in the center of NW DC. It is generally very good but a bit uneven in places. For example, while the beds are some of the most comfortable I have ever slept in, the TV is not of particularly high quality and the bathroom fixtures require look surprisingly old given the hotel's recent renovation. Still, the staff are wonderful and the one problem I had was fixed within ten minutes of me calling about it. Internet is free as well.

Good Location in Downtown DC

by TripAdvisor Member philip74

I stayed at The Quincy for five days in early October and found it very good base for exploring the city. I was able to walk to most of the places I wanted to see - museums and monuments on the National Mall, Georgetown etc. - although the distances involved might be a bit long for some people. There was also a subway station a couple of minutes from the hotel.
The area immediately around the hotel is pretty quiet at the weekend with some cafes and restaurants closed but there a plenty of places around Dupont Circle which is not far away.
The room was large with modern furnishings. It looked like it had been redecorated quite recently although the kitchen seemed to have been left out of this.
The staff were friendly although they did try to charge me
for my stay when I'd already paid for it on line. This was reloved very quickly when I highlighted the error to them and while I assume it was just an honest mistake but it was a bit concerning.

John Quincy Adams spotJohn Quincy Adams spot

John Quincy Adams pretended to sleep hereJohn Quincy Adams pretended to sleep here

boston and new england

by tuli

heyyyyyy everyone ,
I will be have 4 days to spend in Boston and surrounding countryside in May. Can anyone give me some ideas what to do with this time. Odviously I want to see Boston but I would like to see a bit of New england too, I will have a car at my disposal ..............can anyone give me some ideas on how to make the best of the time i have .
Anyone got any fantastic and reasonably priced hotels or motels to recommend ?

Thanking you guys xoxoxo Tuli

by zuriga

You can drive straight across Massachusetts and visit the Berkshire Mountain area. In May, it's truly beautiful there. This part of the state has lovely, small towns with tons of B&Bs and cultural events, especially in Lenox or Williamstown - art galleries etc. You can also drive a bit north to New Hampshire or Vermont - I find those states very similar and pretty. Google for motels in Lenox, Pittsfield or Great Barrington - all are in the Berkshires and a good place to headquarter.

by Coombsie

While in Boston, you must go to the public gardens, see the swan boats, Quincy Market is fun too. Just walk around, it is a wonderful city with a small town feel. You could take a drive out to Cape Cod, it's before the "tourist season" begins so you should have no problem finding a motel anywhere out there. The is always the option of going to Maine too. Maine is very beautiful, and a scenic drive up Route 1 is always a great thing to do. Enjoy!

by mikelisaanna

Spend two days in Boston. There is plenty to see there. Then you have a choice. If you like the water, you could spend the rest of the time on some combination of Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. Or, head north to New Hampshire and check out the mountains.

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

The Dupont Hotel

1500 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20036, United States

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Westin Washington, DC City Center
Latest: Apr 11, 2014
Willard Inter-Continental Washington

The Quincy Hotel Washington Dc

Address: 1823 L St. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20036, United States