10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20005, United States

Washington Plaza
Travelocity Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Do Not Stay Here

This is by far the poorest quality hotel that I ever had to deal with. I travel 2 to 3 times a month all over the country for the last 20 years. I have stayed in motels to the Ritz Carlton. This was my worst hotel experience EVER !!!! Do yourself a BIG favor and stay ANYWHERE but this DISAPPOINTING DUMP. Everything was unacceptable and well below the standards of the last 50 to 100 hotels that I have stayed. The staff did nothing to correct any of the situations. I could write a small book on the horror of dealing with this establishment. Stay at Motel 6 or Fred’s Flea Stack before this nightmare of a hotel. I really cannot stress how bad it was. The only thing that was a positive experience was the door man did open the door for me. After that it was a classless foul dump.

• dazsin's Profile Photo

Washington Plaza Hotel

The Washington Plaza Hotel seemed to get mixed reviews when I checked up on it. I would describe it as one of the best hotels i have ever stopped in. Very clean, lovely rooms, friendly staff and superb location.

• mtayl's Profile Photo

Not as good as it looks.

This hotel looks quite impressive from the outside but fails miserably to live up to its exterior. When I arrived it took three attempts on their part and a threat to move immediately to another hotel on my part to get a room that I was even prepared to stay in. The first room was almost a broom closet with spartan decor, and something wrong with the windows that meant you could hardly see out of them. The second room was larger and better furnished, but the carpet was soaking wet in numerous places. I hate to think what had happened in there and it was in no condition to house guests. The third room was of acceptable size, but still poorly furnished and the tub chair was worn and dirty. The room did not have a fridge, which in a Washington summer is a real minus. The air conditioner worked, but was very difficult to regulate the temperature and I had to resort to having it "on" until the room was unbearably cold and then "off" to bring it back up to a reasonable temperature. During my stay "in room" internet was not available, but it is supposed to be. The pay as you go terminals on the ground floor are outrageously expensive given todays charges. There was no guest laundry as far as I could detect.

Unique Quality: The location is good as long as you don't mind a bit of a walk. But if you're so inclined you can walk to all of the major tourist attractions and quite a range of eating places. Panhandlers frequent the area in large numbers and are a nuisance but benign, at least in my experience.

The pool is open air, right on Thomas Circuit, but those who used it seemed to appreciate it. Perhaps their room(s) were like mine.

The bar was very dimly lit and drinks very expensive, at least by my experience elsewhere. I didn't experience the in-house restaurant. Eventually I moved hotels to somewhere much nicer.

More about Washington Plaza Hotel

It was freezing cold!

I stayed at the Washington Plaza Hotel for 3 nights in September 2004. I was worried about it, cause I booked it before I read the reviews here. And I had a big problem indeed: Because the air conditioning was not to adjust individually, it was so cold in my room that I only could endure it in the bed under 2 covers. Air conditioning is a convenient thing, when you can adjust it to your personal temperature feeling, but that was just terrible. Outside were temperature summerly high and I came every night in a refridgerator. I'm happy I didn't catch a cold.
The hotel could also use some paint for the walls in the rooms and in the corridors. Even beige would be friendlier than the clinical white they have. But that may be just my personal taste.
Besides that it was ok for the money. My room was clean and the details of the room (TV, bathroom, newspaper at morning) worked correctly. The service at the front desk is functional. But my conclusion is, that I stay somewhere else next time.

A joke.....

I booked a trip to Washington D.C. via Expedia, who by the way, was OUTSTANDING to work with. I was able to get a 3-night stay in D.C. plus round-trip airfare for two all for $650.00, which I thought was a very nice deal. The hotel they had available was the Washington Plaza Hotel. The pictures looked very nice, but they were VERY deceiving. Upon check-in, there seemed to be confusion at the desk upon which room I would be staying in. I was led to Room #800. Upon getting off the elevator, the smell nearly knocked me over. A very strong sense of mildew and smoke. I had requested a non-smoking room. The room wasn't any better. It was like the "Roach Motel Inn" upon entering. The room strongly reaked of 3-week old cigerattes. Upon flushing the toilet, nothing happened. I immediately called to the Front Desk and demanded another room. They sent the bellman up and moved me to room #231. This floor was a non-smoking room, but again, problems with the toilet. Everytime you went to flush, it would just flush a little and you would constantly have to flip the handle just to get anything to go down. Unbelievable!!

The hotel room was incredibly tacky! The carpet and the painting was literally pealing. The flooring in the bathroom was dirty and was in immediate need of repair. I've seen better rooms at the Motel 6! As matter of fact, I would have much rather stayed in one! The air conditioning worked off and on throughout the night and was extremely noisy.

Upon approaching the front desk for a variety of questions concerning travel and directions, they were very short, snippy, and rude. On one occassion, I could hardly understand what the person was saying.

Overall, this was the worst thing about my spontaneous vacation. I wish I would have reviewed this site prior to booking. I would have strongly requested another hotel through expedia.com. My recommendation would be to stay down the street at the Holiday Inn! I will never stay at this hotel again nor will I ever recommend it. It advertises as a 2.5 star-hotel, but not even close to being one. I would rate it a 1-star hotel with a 1.5 possibility in some rooms.

Much better than expected!

I stayed for two nights on Dec. 10-11, 2004 while I was going to a conference. I did not want to pay the conference hotel rate of $159/nite so I went to Priceline and offered $70 for a 3 star hotel in the area and was booked at the Washington Plaza. I quickly checked the reviews and was really worried. I was also disappointed because it was rated a 2 1/2 stars by expedia and one other travel site. I contacted Priceline and they sited that Orbitz and travelocity rated it a 3--so I was stuck and not too happy.

I arrived and was pleasantly surprized by the staff at the front desk and their positive attitude at 10:00 pm. I headed to my room and turned on the TV to find only 2 stations working. I called down and within 10 minutes someone was there to fix it. He decided it was unfixable and they immediately moved me to a nicer room. The decor is retro and a little odd but I found the room clean, bedding very nice and all amenities (including free wireless).

So it worked out well. I saved about $140 after taxis. However, on my flight home the lady beside me mentioned she had seen me at her hotel (the conference hotel). I mentioned I didn't stay there because of the cost. Well she laughed and said she had paid $49/nite on Priceline! Somehow my good deal didn't seem quite the same.

Bugbites from swimming pool; unprofessional staff; cheesy decor

by TripAdvisor Member OldMagnolia

Stayed here for a conference: Never Again. Had to switch rooms (upgrade to cheesy) after given 1 full-sized bed for 3 people.
Avoid this hotel like the plague. Oh, that reminds me, we ended up with bugbites after swimming in the pool.
I pity the staff.
This hotel needs to be torn down and re-built from scratch. No amount of re-painting will improve it.

Good Value

The hotel is a good value for the money. It is hard to stay in DC for under $200.00 a night during the week. You can always find a clean room for under $150.00 here. I paid $125.00 during peak season. It is a discount hotel people - not a four star resort.

A good bang for your buck

I recently went to Washington DC for the American Idol auditions on August 16-August 19, with my girlfriend. After booking the hotel I came across this website and instantly got worried when I saw all of the bad reviews. I agree with the mildew smell, the AC not really cooling up the room, and the construction, (I had room 937, if you dont want to deal with the construction don't stay on the odd numbered side rooms take the even side). My electronic room key constantly did not work but they remagnitized them for me without a hastle. The lounge was very inviting after a few nights of dealing with the craziness at the Convention Center (for American Idol), they have a small fireplace which made me feel very relaxed and the color scheme is very tranquil with deep house beats playing low in the background. Drink prices are cheaper than New York prices (I had a chocolate Martini for $7) Food is not recommended here at the hotel, kinda pricey take a walk down 14th st (street where hotel is on) McDonalds is nearby (on 13th and H) and some cafes on 14th and L are also nearby. They also have a CVS Pharmacy which is open 24 hours where you can get alot of munchies if need be. The pool was cool to relax by but nothing to write home about. What makes this hotel a good bang for your buck is that all the sites are close by without having to rent a car. Georgetown is about a mile away (this is where everything is happening) and only costs about $10 each way for two passengers.

Fantastic Pool and Cabana Setting

Visit from August 22 thru August 25. The hotel is beautiful from the outside and centrally located to see all of the sites, walking, and using the metro. The lobby and front desk were pleasant and very clean. The bar was very nice and the associates in that area were extremely pleasant. After reading some of the terrible reviews this hotel received, I was skeptical to even stay there. How many hours does one stay in their room while visiting the sites of DC? I prefer to spend my money on entertainment and seeing the sights and touring an. The room and furniture definitely need to be updated and after renovation of the top floors I believe it will be an outstanding hotel once again. If you are looking for gold laiden showers and marble, then look elsewhere!
I truly enjoyed my visit.

Where should we stay?

by DEEDEE123

We are visiting D.C. in July and we want to stay at a hotel that is not too expensive and has a pool and is centrally located. We've narrowed it down to:
DoubleTree Guest Suites - Foggy Bottom
Radisson Barcelo

Any suggestions?

Re: Where should we stay?

by LorrieK

If the prices are about the same I would go with the DoubleTree as first choice. The suites are nicer than the average hotel room, plus the location in Foggy Bottom near the blue and orange line Metro makes for easy travel to most tourist sites. Also, it's reasonably close to Georgetown.

Second choice for me would be the Radisson. I used to work across the street from the hotel and I like that neighborhood. It's just a few blocks to Dupont Circle and the Metro (red line) and Embassy Row. The location is a residential area with lots of dining and night life options.

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

The Dupont Hotel

1500 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20036, United States

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Days Inn Connecticut Ave
Capital Hilton

Washington Plaza Dc
Washington Plaza Hotel Washington Dc

Address: 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20005, United States