Westin Washington, DC City Center

Satisfaction Average

Rated 16% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• blaird's Profile Photo

Decent Hotel, Decent Location

We picked this hotel because it was a part of a last minute deal and it didn't look too bad. The price was good, the location wasn't bad, about 5 blocks from the White House, and the room was clean. It wasn't a big room, but there was enough room for a crib and our bags, which was all we asked. There actually was a nice dark corner for the crib, so our baby sleep pretty good.

Unique Quality: The view was crappy.
    The room service was pretty good, although expensive...like all room service.
    There was no concierge whenever I tried to find one.
    The front desk was helpful, they took the place of the concierge for me a couple of times.
    We had difficulty finding food the first day, but by the third day we found some good food that wasn't too far of a walk.

• Great Place to Stay!!!

The hotel was fantastic! Right from the start it was a good experience. As we all know, hotel check-in times are usually around 2:00 or 3:00. We got into Washington at 9:00a.m. and they checked us in right away! On one night we asked for our HBO Guide and it was there by the time I took the elevator to the 3rd floor.

The room was huge albeit it was handicap accessable. Clean and well lit, overlooking the large lobby. Thought noise would be a problem given that the bar and restaurant is open concept in the lobby - it was mildly so until about 11:00p.m. The bed was nice and soft and the pillows were a bit on the soft side.

Top 5 in my books

Unique Quality: Nice touches such as three phones (1 at desk, at night table and one in the bathroom!), instructions on how to use the alarm, HBO and Starz! channels and free USA Today rounds out this hotel.

However, no pool and I've heard that the exercise room is small but I didn't check it out.

More about Westin Washington, DC City Center

Newly Renovated Westin in Central DC Location

by TripAdvisor Member ocGlobetraveler

The Westin Washington DC City Center has been newly renovated, and recently outfitted as a Westin Hotel. Formerly the "Vista Hotel" the Westin DC has brought this centrally located property up to standard, with the addition of Westin amenities.
If you travel frequently, you probably won't be wowed by your experience, as this property simply delivers the expected Westin experience. Heavenly beds, heavenly showers and the like are all in place, however the property still feels like it is a part of its 1980's past. The renovation included all furnishings throughout, and a contemporary lobby to match, but the overall physical design of the hotel could not be rescued. You will find that a majority of the rooms face the inner lobby, which gives you a rather dark and dated sensation when in your room.

Standard Guest rooms include the very comfortable Westin Heavenly Bedding and mattresses, Flatscreen LCD televisions, and efficient workspaces. The bathrooms however were somewhat overlooked though, as they resemble that of your very typical hotel room.

The location will afford you convenience, as it's in the heart of DC, just a short cab ride from Georgetown, and a short walk to most monuments, and quite close to everything else you might need.

When choosing to stay in DC on my next visit, I would probably choose the Westin Grand, which is closer to Georgetown and offers a bit more of an "uplifting" feel, as the building itself it not nearly as old as the Westin DC City Center.

Comfortable and serviceable

by TripAdvisor Member kiwitravelerpdx

I stayed one night at the Westin Washington, DC City Center while on a quick business trip to DC. I had considered the Four Points, Westin Grand, and Westin Embassy Row properties but decided to give the City Center property a try given it's location and amenities. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would return without hesitation.

The hotel design (rebranded from a Wyndham perhaps 2-3 months prior) seems unusual for DC because of central atrium that extends up the entire core of the building to a skylight. Most of the rooms have windows and views of the atrium instead of the street. Natural daylight never really makes it down into the rooms, so you must have artificial lighting on all the time. The overall ambience in the public spaces is a little sterile and cold as opposed to warm and home-like.

POSITIVES:
1) Location is great: Roughly three blocks from the Red Line Metro stop at Farragut North and about the same distance from the Blue Line at McPherson Square. The Blue Line takes you directly to Reagan National Airport.
2) My room was on the 8th floor. Spacious with Westin's clean, modern design and a stunning flat-screen LCD monitor. The bed, of course, is the customary fabulous Heavenly Bed. Air conditioning and ventilation system was effective and quiet.
3) Westin Workout Room on the ground floor was well equipped with seemingly new treadmills and recumbent and upright bicycles. LCD monitors were in each piece of equipment, and the room was clean, cool and well ventilated. For an outside jog, it was easy to go from the hotel straight down 14th NW to the Capitol Mall, make a loop around the entire mall and return to the hotel for an approximate 4 mile roundtrip (little over 30 minutes).
4) I had one dinner at 1400 North which I thought was quite decent (cedar plank roasted salmon at $22). On a Tuesday evening at 7:30P there was only one other diner in addition to me in the entire restaurant. This felt a little odd, but service, on the other hand, was warm and friendly. I had just arrived in DC after a cross country flilght earlier that afternoon and didn't want to venture out of the hotel to find an alternative dining spot.

NEGATIVES:
1) Nothing really negative other than the atrium design and lack of natural light (i.e. sunlight) in the rooms.
2) Internet access in the room is $9.95 for 24 hours--a ridiculous charge for upper-end hotels but pretty standard these days ($9.95 is actually a little better than other Westins and Marriotts).
3) Can't comment on parking charges or valet services since I didn't arrive with a car, but I imagine parking isn't cheap!

Superb accomodations; okay location

by TripAdvisor Member Nashvillecat

I booked a great rate for a 2-day business trip, as the hotel has just undergone renovations and was running a special. It was a wonderful deal, but I found the location a little too far from the Metro for comfort, as it was extremely hot outside, I was dressed for business, and needed to get around using the Metro.
But the room was wonderful! The bed was exquisitely comfortable, and the double-headed shower was total bliss!
Add to the downside: faulty elevators (blamed on the extreme heat), and long, loud corridors to navigate on the upper floors. Also, I refused to pay such high fees for Internet access, even though I was in town on business. I just took my laptop half a block to Caribou Coffee for free access and a decently priced breakfast.
The fitness room was very nice. I found the layout and equipment excellent.
The restaurant's food and service were commendable. I highly recommend the dinner salads. A typical annoyance to me is the breakfast menu of most major hotels - as if everyone wants a huge breakfast of 2-3 eggs, with meat and potatoes, every day! Hotels should allow a simple breakfast of one egg and toast, or the like, for a reasonable cost - here that cost me $12, just about as much as a 3-egg omelet. As a single woman traveler, I appreciated the hostess offering me a selection of newspapers to read at the table. That was a thoughtful gesture.
I recommend that the management address the faulty elevators, install new doors to the rooms (the existing ones are rather shabby and must have missed the renovation), and allow free Internet access.
Those of you who do not mind walking several blocks to the Metro, I highly recommend the hotel, especially for the extreme comfort of the rooms!
Hey, I'm still thinking about that wonderful, 2-headed shower...

The One !!!

by TripAdvisor Member jayjayoc

This is the best hotel in DC. Trendy look!!! Service is excellent. Very friendly staff.. Lobby is great!! Candles, music, white tea smells...
Serving frozen towels and propel water after a hot and sweaty day is relaxing and calming ...

Rooms are great. LG Plasma TV, Lap-top size in-room safe, Starbucks coffee, Heavenly bed and Heavenly Shower .... Herman miller desk chairs..... Everything in the room is the best in it's category!!!!
Gift shop and Rebook powered work out room in lobby area is excellent.
They are now opening new and most technologic business center with and Starbucks kiosk in the lobby.
They are adding something everyday.. Now you can also print anywhere in the hotel connecting to the designated wireless printer.
Overall is PERFECT 10

Very Good Experience

by TripAdvisor Member NYCTraveler001

Got a great weekend rate on the hotel's website ($120/night plus tax) this past weekend. Stayed in a Starwood Preferred Guest Room on the top floor. Quiet. King bed. Chaise chair. Plasma television. Modern dark wood furniture. Standard Heavenly Bed with duvet, pretty good bathroom, robe, etc. Gym. Location was convenient. All in all, given the price, it exceeded my expectations.

Good room, but lots of other problems.

by TripAdvisor Member RedSox604

I checked in to the Westin City Center on Labor Day for three nights. Unfortunately, I have little positive to report about the experience. The favorable aspects of this hotel begin and end at the standard Westin Heavenly Bed.

My understanding from previous reviews is that this Westin is a renovated Wyndham. I think that calling what they have done a renovation is overstating. It seems like Westin gave a superficial facelift to a tired old hotel, threw in new furniture, a flat screen TV and a heavenly bed, and called it a day. The hallways remain a very drab brown, desperately in need of artwork, mirrors, or something to brighten it up. The doors and windows do not look like they were updated.

The good:
- Valet & Bell staff friendly, helpful and prompt
- Check-in very smooth – no wait
- Heavenly Bed
- Bathrobes provided in room
- Location was within comfortable walking distance to attractions around the White House; slightly longer walks to the Smithsonian/Mall area. It is (barely) in the same taxi zone as Mall & Union Station, so cab rides to most tourist destinations were $9 ($6.50 fare, $1.50 second passenger, $1.00 fuel surcharge).

The bad:
- The guide about hotel services was very small, and the in-room dining menu was not included. When we requested it, they brought up a copy on plain paper that had been photocopied.
- There were pitchers of ice water filled with fruit provided complimentary in the lobby. Unfortunately, when you get close, you notice the many fruit flies surrounding the pitchers. Not appetizing at all.
- Housekeeping was not great. They left us an empty tissue box, 10% of a roll of toilet paper, and clearly did not vacuum. We found pieces of broken glass on the carpet our first night there. They also provided only one *real* Westin “Heavenly Bath” towel. The rest were standard hotel issue, scratchy small white bath towels.
- The walls and doors were very thin. I could clearly hear conversations and televisions from both rooms. Doors slamming in the hallway would shake our entire room.
- I thought the room was poorly lit, particularly in the hall/closet area (where the mirror is located). The bedside lamp did not have a switch, so to shut it on and off you had to reach up by the light bulb.
- I use a Cingular wireless card for internet in my laptop, and it barely registered two bars to access their 3G network. This is probably because the rooms are interior, facing the atrium.

The ugly:
- No control over the AC in the middle of the night. Despite setting the room temperature to 65 and constantly ON instead of auto, I heard it click on and off throughout the night. No one could convince me it was any cooler than 72 degrees at night.
- We ordered a movie one evening, and about an hour into it, the TV went snowy and then returned to regular television. I called the front desk, who had “no idea” what happened and removed it from my bill. I couldn’t even order the movie again, as it had disappeared from the available list of movies.
- Our last morning, we decided to sleep in before checking out at noon. No such luck. At about 9AM, a hotel staff member came on a loudspeaker and announced they would be testing the fire alarm. The alarm sounded intermittently between 9:00 AM and when we checked out at 11:30. The bellman told us it would be going on all day.

Bottom line: there was nothing so terrible about this hotel that if you HAD to stay there, it would be a problem. But, Washington DC has plenty of hotels that provide a much more pleasant experience if you look around. Now that Westin no longer has the market cornered with their Heavenly Bed (most chains offer something similar), they need to step it up in the service department. I cancelled a reservation at the Hamilton Crowne Plaza, where I have stayed previously, to save $25 per night. I wish I had not. The Hamilton is in a beautiful old building, and their service was impeccable.

Overall a great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jsyden4535

Ok - going to do this in 3 parts: parking/ hotel stay/ location

1. We arrived in DC knowing that the hotel would charge us $35.00 per night to park there. That was a bit steep. (By the way - check out the parking garages around the hotel - they seemed to be cheaper ) We decided to work around that and park at Reagan Intn'l and take the metro to the hotel. Unfortunately, the hotel doesn't have a shuttle or it would have been perfect! But, here is how easy it was park at the economy lot ($10.00/day)- take the free shuttle to the terminal - hop on the metro and ride to your stop (McPherson Sq.). It costs $1.35. The hotel is 2.5-3 blocks up the street. It is easy to get to. Trust me - I wasn't certain about it to begin with, but it was nice to pay $30.00 for our parking vs. $105.00.

2. The hotel is lovely. I couldn't have been more pleased. The room was very nice, mostly black and white, and the beds are divine. When they say Heavenly Bed - they mean it. We booked thru Hotwire and got a great rate of $89.00/night. The shower is huge as well with two shower heads. The room overlooked the atrium but was relatively quiet. Only a couple of things annoyed us - there are no vending machines. You must go to the gift shop for snacks $$ (we hit the CVS on the way from the metro though) and the restaurant is pricey. We avoided that. There is a Subway, Cosi, Starbucks, Caribou and McDonald's just down the street. The staff was very nice and we had NO trouble checking in. In fact, it took about 2 mins. if that.

3. The area is fine as well. We never went out really at night to speak of, but I felt safe there. It is downtown area though. They are renovating some still so there was a a huge dumpster outside the hotel, which was less than attractive - but it wasn't a big deal. It is about 6 blocks from the White House so it is pretty easy to get around from the hotel. Everything is compact in the city. Plus, the Old Town Trolley will pick you up outside the hotel if you go thru the concierge. She was most helpful. It is a nice way to tour.

Make sure to sign up on the Westin website as a select guest before you go and let them know when you check in. That way you get a free paper in the morning, turn down service and a complimentary morning beverage (juice/coffee/hot chocolate). It is a nice service that Westin provides for free. Take advantage!

We would definitely stay at this hotel again!

Hotel in Washington: please help

by guta

Hello,
I am going to DC for two nights, from this friday to sunday. We could find a double room for 84 USD at Hamilton Crowne Plaza (without breakfast) and 84 USD at Wyndham Washington (1400 M St NW).
Which one is best? Do you think I could find a better deal at Priceline?
Guta

RE: Hotel in Washington: please help

by dmalewski

we stayed at the Crown Plaza and I would highly recommend it! It was VERY nice, and a great location to walk to all the sites. I loved it, and would stay there again anytime! I can't speak for the other hotel at all as I have never seen it.

RE: Hotel in Washington: please help

by lmclaughlin1216

I dont know those hotels but that really cheap for DC

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

The Dupont Hotel

1500 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20036, United States

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Westin Washington, DC City Center

Washington Dc Westin
Westin Washington Dc City Center
Westin Washington, Dc City Hotel Washington Dc

Address: 1400 M St. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20005, United States