2647 Woodley Road, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20008, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Priceline.com

• ESQinDC's Profile Photo

Something Different

DC, like New York, LA or San Francisco can be an expensive city in which to rent a hotel room. So why pay $250/night for a comfortable, but blandly generic hotel room that looks just like the one you slept in last year in Peoria? Why indeed!

When I have family in town (They won't fit into my tiny flat), I always put them up at the Woodley Park Guest House. It's nestled into the great neighborhood I call home, Woodely Park. It's cozy and gives you a great feel of the victorian brownstones the fill the city.

The rates are great and when you leave the hustle-bustle of down town, you'll be able to relax and feel like you're home.

Unique Quality: One block from the National Zoo

Close to neighborhood restuarants of Woodley Park and Cleveland Park

Two Blocks from the Metro.

More about Woodley Park Guest House

Great Guest House & Location

by TripAdvisor Member PDXSteve

Recently my wife & I stayed five days at the Woodley Park Guest House. The location was great, with the subway stop one block away. There are numerous neighborhood restaurants located within two blocks of the guest house. We also felt very safe, when walking through the neighborhood. The room we had was nicely decorated, very cozy, and exceptionally clean. We also found the owners and staff to be very friendly and helpful.!!
We had a great time and would definitely stay there again!

PDX Steve, Portland, Oregon

Great little gem!

by TripAdvisor Member lifecycle

I stayed four nights at the Woodley Park Guest House last week. This place is a real gem. The owners and staff are polite and friendly. The place is cosy and welcoming...more like a home than a hotel.

I had a small room with a shared bathroom (to myself). Both were really clean and immaculate. The entire building has air conditioning which is a relief from the heat and humidity. There is no heating/air control in my room but I didn't have any problem with the temperature in my room.

The B&B does not have any TVs or radio but there are plenty of books and newspapers to read or you could talk to other fellow guests. I struck an interesting conversation with a girl who works for the FDA. Her experience and stories sound a little like CSI. I had a great time talking to her.

The location of the place is also very convenient. The train station is only around the corner. Great little restaurants along the main street and I felt safe walking back to the B&B late at night.

I really enjoyed my stay at the Woodley Park Guest House and will definitely stay with them again if I return to Washington DC.

Staying here was as much fun as touring Washington D.C.

by TripAdvisor Member vainvt

I booked reservations for my Mom and siblings at the Woodley Park Guest House last April. The occasion was my mother's 85th birthday, and I based my selection on the reasonable prices, the location (very close to a Metro station), and the online reviews I read. This was not a lot to go on, so we were all extremely surprised and pleased to find that our stay was wonderful. The rooms were very clean and had everything we needed, the breakfasts were wonderful and offered healthy options like yogurt, fruit salad, and scones (yum!), and the hosts couldn't have been more helpful. Laura, one of the owners, helped us make reservations at Hillwood and the Ford Theater, she helped us select restaurants, and her husband even offered to drive my Mom to the WWI Memorial!
However, the real value of staying here was the friendliness of the hosts and staff, and how they made an effort to talk to each guest and to introduce one guest to another. Since we spent at least an hour every morning eating breakfast, it made it much more fun to talk to people from all over the country and the world, and it enhanced our stay.
My only regret is that my brother swears he'll never drive in D.C., so I don't know if I'll ever get a chance to go back with my Mom and siblings. However, I would highly recommed this to friends, and hope that someday I'll be able to stay there with my husband and sons. My sister, who works for a D.C. company, plans to stay there on future business trips. This was a truly memorable experience.

We absolutely wouldn't stay anywhere else!

by TripAdvisor Member coolcatt007

We recently stayed at the Woodley Park Guest House for our September vacation in Washington DC, and would highly recommend it to anyone needing to stay in Washington DC. First of all the location can't be beat. The Woodley Park/Adams Morgan metro station is literally half a block or less from the bed and breakfast. Woodley Park itself is a wonderful neighborhood, and the bed and breakfast is located on a not-so-busy street so there isn't constant street noise. Second, the staff is what really makes this place shine. They are friendly and welcoming to you every time you come in the door (they actually take the time to learn your name). The front desk gave us great restaurant picks and tips about attractions and events. The innkeepers take the time to sit with you during breakfast, eager to hear about your travels. The staff truly gives this B&B a personal touch, which is welcome when you are far from home. Finally, the bed and breakfast itself is a quite respite for the weary traveler. We stayed on the ground floor in a clean, comfortable room with a queen bed and private bath. After a hard day of walking from monument to monument, there was nothing better than coming back to our room. Every morning there was a wonderful breakfast laid out in the charming dining room. It's a continental breakfast of sorts (no "hot breakfast"), but it filled us up enough until lunch. In the evening it was great to sit out on the porch that faces the Marriott hotel with their beautiful gardens. We have pleasant memories of our vacation in Washington due in part to this wonderful bed and breakfast. We highly recommend that you stay there when you’re in DC.

I'll try rebooking my flights before I'll stay anywhere else in DC!

by TripAdvisor Member Tumbleweed07

I'm a happy return customer of Woodley Park Guest House and have stayed at the newly opened and pricier Embassy Circle Guest House in Dupont Circle, too. I, too, have gotten to know some of the other "repeaters" and formed some great and lasting connections.

WPGH is a European-style guest house, so - yes - the rooms and public spaces are smaller than most Americans are used to, but with elegant and minimal furnishings/decor, it doesn't feel claustrophobic. The entire property is immaculately kept. I often reserve a shared bath room and it's never been a problem for me. No smoking, no TV, a library heavy on non-fiction, and a strong wireless signal are exactly my priorities. The location is ideally located for anything you need to do in DC. Metro across the street and several excellent restaurants w/in 2 blocks (in addition to previously mentioned faves, don't miss the stellar Afghan Grill).

For the owners, your promotion from guest to friend is measured in minutes and hours; when it comes to going above and beyond for a customer, their equals are hard to find. YES, they will remember you when you return a year later, not just your name but details about your life, work, and family. That hospitable attitude is exhibited by all the staff.

Here's my take on the breakfasts. Sure, I've been encouraged to draft Condi Rice for President. Couldn't agree less, but wouldn't have missed it. I've also heard the liberal Democratic thinking on immigration and flu pandemics. I've shared morning coffee with special education teachers, retired opera singers, manufacturers, college students and their parents, Mormon missionaries, and lobbyists for various products and causes. Consider meeting all these new people one of the free perks of being a Woodley Park guest. Wide diversity and civil exchanges of opinion is what makes the USA a great country. If you feel the need for a solo breakfast, or an early start, or extra-hot coffee to order, walk across the street to Starbucks. I suspect some of the complainers are used to, at home, 2 people by themselves at a table for 6 or 8, leisurely and heavily breakfasting in silence, spreading the newspapers all over. That's not realistic at Woodley Park, or any guest house for that matter, but if you're cool and zig and zag with the other guests, there's ample room and food for everybody. If you require privacy and solitude, space to spread out, 24/7 service, and CNN, stay at one of DC's many lovely hotels instead.

Woodley Park is one of the most beautiful residential neighborhoods in the District, and perfectly safe. Fly into Reagan National Airport (DCA). If I arrive during the day, I take the Metro, practically door to door; at night, I prefer the 15-minute cab ride to view the illuminated monuments.

Small but full of heart

by TripAdvisor Member kabibble

Stayed at Woodley park for a conference at the giant hotel across the street. Worked out great (I hate faceless chain hoels). The room was SMALL (the bed took up most of the room), but clean, had highspeed Internet, and a tiny bathroom. Excellent for those that like a good base of operations but do not intend to lounge about in the room. Breakfast was simple continental food, really good coffee. Breakfast conversation was the highlight - intelligent, wide ranging, opinionated and a lot of fun. Very social (and socially conscious!) innkeepers, in a very banter-friendly city. A lot of fun. Not at all stuffy.

Was just O.K.

by TripAdvisor Member happy2be

Location, location, location. This B&B is in a terrific area--a few blocks from the zoo in my favorite neighborhood in D.C. It's close to the Marriott and Omni, so there's a steady stream of conference guests who coast past the B&B, but it still has a sleepy town feel.

I stayed in a room with a double bed, private shower, and shared 1/2 bath. The room was very clear, but tiny, and what I expected. The shared bathroom was clean, but dirties quickly because it's shared by four other guests. We paid about $200/night.

The building is co-owned by two sisters and a retired medical doctor. The sisters are nice, but very chatty and a little intense. Definitely talkers. The medical doctor practiced at Johns Hopkins and is articulate and cordial. The problem is, as one reviewer mentioned, he tries to involve his guests in long conversations over breakfast--usually a troop of Midwesterners and proud parents of daughters and sons with internships on capital hill. In short, the chatter is nerve-grating. I'm sure he's just trying to give his guests the hospitality they expect, but it can be nerve-grating for those who want a friendly environment and not an Oprah-like rendition of American politics. Each morning there seemed to be some impervious internee who spoke incessantly in talking points about the political organization or politician she was affiliated with on capital hill. Don't get me wrong. I like discussion and debate. I'm a voracious reader. And I'm a college instructor, so I'm used to being around young people. But the place just felt a little crazy. Each morning my husband and I breakfast had our breakfast at 9:45am and almost everything was gone--including the pastries and fruit salad advertised so bombastically on their webpage. All that was left was cereal and a few yogurts and the owner kept asking if I'd ever had that kind of yogurt before (Danon)--boy was it delicious. The coffee was empty. After two mornings, I skipped the ordeal entirely and had breakfast in the neighborhood where you can read the paper, get a reliable cup of coffee, and be surrounded by more civil conversation.

I visited during the week right after the Cherry Blossom Festival. I recommend staying at a genuine hotel during a weekend. You can pay half the price, stay in a nice place, and have more privacy. This place is tiny, with a miniature kitchen adn porch and you feel as if you're always bumping into the other 17 guests.

I've traveled quite a bit and don't have four or five star expectations. I just can't stand sitting in very close proximity to people who talk extremely loud and are so insecure they want everyone to hear every inane thing they say. Avoid this place if you're that way, too. It's a magnet for this kind of personality. And since the space is so small, it feels a little claustrophobic.

Cute place

by TripAdvisor Member njtraveler15

Stayed there to attend an event across the street at the Marriott, location was perfect and the room affordable. Very cute place, clean, nicely decorated, nice owners, great coffee, one of the best scones I've ever had. Cons: very thin walls, I could hear the phone ringing incessantly downstairs from my 2nd floor room, and my own wakeup call never came. Also, it was freezing late afternoon when I was taking a nap, and I asked front desk to turn up heat, and he said he didn't know how (owners were not there at this point.) Climate fine the rest of the time. Overall, not a bad place and better than staying at faceless expensive chain across the street.

Just Like Home!

by TripAdvisor Member Kittygal

I spent three nights here winding down after a hectic week of teaching in DC and found it to be a great spot. So convenient to the subway---a big hit, having just stayed in metroless Georgetown. My room was huge with a comfy bed, wonderful bay window and a nice private bathroom with shower. Breakfasts were very adequate: fruit salad, juice, pastries, cereal, etc. and
plenty of conversation with a wide variety of guests from around the world. The owner had helpful tips for sightseeing and excursions. I have read the other reviews and am rather puzzled why people who don't like to interact with other guests choose to stay at a bed and breakfast. That's the reason they exist, as an alternative to chain hotel anonymity. As a single woman traveling alone, I felt perfectly safe there and the neighborhood has lots of wonderful eateries. All the major sightseeing poins are just a short metro ride and walk away. I'll be back when I'm mnext in DC!

D.C. Bed and Breakfast options?

by TempNomad

Any suggestions/advice on Bed and Breakfast places around DC? We're visiting friends who live on Porter St. NW, so we'd like something relatively close, but we're flexible.

Thanks!

RE: D.C. Bed and Breakfast options?

by summerrain73

Hi there! The only bed & breakfast place I know in DC is the Woodley Park Guest House. You can check their website (http://www.woodleyparkguesthouse.com). If your friends live on Porter St. and is close to the Cleveland Park Metro stop, then the guest house is pretty close. You can either take a bus or the rail to get to Porter St.

RE: D.C. Bed and Breakfast options?

by jetsetterforever

I second the previous reply....hands down, Woodley Park Guesthouse is your best bet. It is newly renovated, is located within 100 ft. from the metro, in a nice part of town, has a friendly/helpful staff....oh yeah, it also has great breakfast.

Comments

Popular Hotels in Washington D.C.

Hay Adams Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington

The Dupont Hotel

1500 New Hampshire Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20036, United States

Omni Shoreham Hotel

Willard Inter-Continental Washington
L'Enfant Plaza Hotel
Latest: Mar 10, 2014

Woodley Park Guest House Hotel Washington Dc

Address: 2647 Woodley Road, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20008, United States