350 Ne High School Road, Bainbridge Island, WA, 98
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bainbridge Island Suites
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Priceline.com

More about Bainbridge Island

high-vibration view of Space Needlehigh-vibration view of Space Needle

Seattle at Dawn from the Bainbridge Island FerrySeattle at Dawn from the Bainbridge Island Ferry

Poulsbo, WashingtonPoulsbo, Washington

Cascade Peaks and picnic tables, Fay Bainbridge PkCascade Peaks and picnic tables, Fay Bainbridge Pk

From coastal Georgia to Bainbridge island

by Stavrostargazer

My brother in law,sister and their kids are relocatiing to the area a bit sooner than I am.. My mother and I will soon be folloing in their foot steps. .I have lived in coastal Georgia, Saint simons island.. Since I was twelve years old. I am now thirty-eight. .I am scared to death of this move to be honest. HELP! :) Steve

by fritzrl

Well, welcome somewhat in advance to Washington state.

It's not clear from your posting why this transition gives you the willies, unless it's the general fear of the unknown that comes with all major life changes. Certainly from a geographic perspective, this is a big change for you.

Bainbridge Island is a lovely place, actually. Heavily forested still. But if you escape the trees to find a shoreline, you'll be treated to spectacular vistas.

The climate is mild, though perhaps not so mild as Georgia's. Summers are mostly dry and cool, winters are mostly damp, but well above freezing. The biggest challenge you're likely to face is the overcast skies for long periods during the winter. I hope you've already paid the area an extended visit in that time of year. If not, be prepared to do what we locals do to combat 'cabin fever' -- read a good book, drink some nice hot coffee or tea, and get outside frequently for a stroll, even if it's a little drizzly. The upside of the winter rain is that the air always feels freshly-laundered, and the aromas (of fireplaces, of forest) are even more concentrated.

And, of course, downtown Seattle with all its attractions and distractions is only a short ferry ride away.

This website will tell you much about the area before you even get here. As you review the info and come up with questions, just post them here. There are always lots of helpful folks with ready answers.

Good luck with your move.

Fritzrl

by lizilex

What are your specific questions/concerns? I lived in Seattle for 25+ years and would be happy to share what knowledge I have. Never lived on Bainbridge, but a couple of my friends have. Winslow, the main town and Seattle ferry terminus, is basically a commuter suburb and quite prosperous. Other parts of the island are more rural but perhaps not as prosperous (except waterfront is expensive everywhere of course).

There's a really wonderful state park on the island, Fay Bainbridge State Park:

The weather will be very different from what you are used to, but you already knew that.

I'd be happy to answer your questions, either on the board or by email.

Hope the move proves to be a happy one!

Best,
Lisa

by fritzrl

I should add that you may get further input if you post to the "Seattle" forum. The "Bainbridge Island" forum probably doesn't get a *lot* of visitors.

Fritzrl

RE: RE: From coastal Georgia to Bainbridge island

by Stavrostargazer

I can't think of anything I want to ask here in the forum.. I appreciate being here tho.

Travel Tips for Bainbridge Island

relax the day away

by skatzcatz

Spending a day on Bainbridge Osland was one of the most relaxinf days i spent while in the States. I'd reccommend it to anyone looking for a break from the hustle and bustle of travelling. Just stop and let Bainbridge island time take you along. the peacefulness.

world war history

by ChefSalt

hidden in the bushes through out the islands are empty bunkers overgroan with vines and mosses relecs from WWII military bases long abandoned some have been turned into park but most have been filled in and overgrown never to be seen again.
Strawberry Hill park was named for its grand wild strawberry feilds that were farmed many years ago. what most people don't know is that in the middle of the drive around loop and parking lot is an underground missle silo long ago abandoned.
all over the island similar parks can be found
and this is just a few of the places to find a piece of history on the island.

Braindamage Island

by ChefSalt

"Bainbridge Island my home!"

I was born at the Winslow clinic on Jan. 18 1974. the doctor who aided in the birth of my father came out of retirement to aid in my birth 23 years later. I've spent many yars of my life on and around the Island. This is where I learned the two greatest words of all :

Respect ( for the living and the non-living)
and
Adventure (the living and the non-living kind)

I think as a youth I spent more time in the woods exploring than I did on the homework I should have been doing.
My freind Aquila and I used to build forts and have pine cone wars and sword fights with sword ferns when we were not out exploring and getting lost in the hard hack around gazom Lake.
My parents were seperated before I can remember. Mom had custody durring the school year and my brother and I would stay with Dad on the weekends. Durring vacations Dad would have custody and mom would have us on the weekends.
This was the disco era.
Bell bottoms and wide stripped shirts, corteroy and puffy vests

Mom went looking for work in Alaska and Dad got two kids

...continued...