Inn at Vineyard Lane

978 Vineyard Lane, Bainbridge Island, Washington, 98110, United States

More about Bainbridge Island

Looking South from the Ferry to Port of SeattleLooking South from the Ferry to Port of Seattle

Seattle at Dawn from the Bainbridge Island FerrySeattle at Dawn from the Bainbridge Island Ferry

Leave Seattle behind and visit Bainbridge IslandLeave Seattle behind and visit Bainbridge Island

view of Olympic Mountains from Dock Streetview of Olympic Mountains from Dock Street

Travel Tips for Bainbridge Island

End of Dock Street: Viewpoint, Beach

by glabah

As stated in my Bainbridge Island introduction, there isn't much on the island for the general public. There are two small state parks with beach access, and a few scattered small attractions, and that is pretty much it.

However, it is possible to find a rare few viewpoints that are not documented that are open to the public.

Dock street is a fairly good example: it is a public street that is particularly well hidden, with public parking prohibited over much of the length of the street. The street ends at the edge of Manzanita Bay at a sign which states that beyond here, the City of Bainbridge Island is not responsible for maintaining the street - and considering beyond here is the two mile wide body of water named "Port Orchard", it is easy to see why the road ends here.

The view of the sunset and the view of the Olympic Mountains is quite wonderful from here.

The beach is small, and there are no signs saying that beyond here lies tresspassing.

It does say that dogs must be on leash, and that there are no open fires, and that the area is closed dusk to dawn.

How to Get Here: Highway 305 to Day Road going west. Follow signs to "Manzanita". At end of Day Road go south onto Manzanita Road, and Right onto Dock Street. Stop before driving into Manzanita Bay!

Bainbridge Island so close yet so far from Seattle

by skatzcatz

"peace and rest on Bainbridge island"

Only a scenic 35 minut ferry ride from Seattle's main pier is Bainbridge Island. Much like back home in Australia Bainbridge Island comes across as a very friendly and relaxed community. People say hello to you, people have time and i got the impression people on Bainbridge island enjoy life.

"the scenery was gorgeous"

Strolling around the streets of Bainbridge Island was a restful and calming day well spent. The quaint little cafes and stores sold an assortment of souvenirs and odds and ends.

life--everywhere but Braindamage Island

by ChefSalt

Mom wasn't in Alaska for too long, as I remember. She was only gone for a little over a year My brother and I would commute back and forth to see her in Wasilla and Anchorage
I had never seen so much snow before. It was over my head in most places making rathre deifficult to walk any where. I remember we would go out on the frozen lakes set up goal post and play moose hockey using frozen moose droping as hockey pucks. We thought frozen moose droppings were the coolest thing ever. So we filled up a gerber baby food jar and mailed them off to our dad because we knew that he would think they were as cool as we thought they were.
we were wrong i guess!

Mom was soon back on the Island and I was starting monasoary school and went on to first grade and second at Blakley Elementary then off the Ordway Elementary for third grade.
Every summer Dad would take a week or two off work and take my brother and I out to the ocean for a little back to nature time.my brother and I you spend the entire week searching for glassballs that had floated all the way from China an I began to wonder what it was like over on the otherside of the ocean.
and I would look up at the stars at night trying to find all the constilations. the ocational satalite could bee seen floating through the Milky Way Galaxy which was so bright that you didn't need a flashlight to find your way around. and I wondered.
I wondered what its like up there in the heavens.

At home we never had a television our entertainment was a box of old National Geographics and a radio.
almost every night dad would find his spot in the exact middle of the two speakers and my brother and I would lay next to him and listen to story telling on the public radio channnel from the velvet chair to Star wars to the hitchhickers guide to the Galaxy and Dick Astel and I told my self "I want to go there"
and we would read national geo. where I saw all kinds of beautiful places and people and I thought to myself
I want to go there some day!

Low and behold they came to us.

Located around the center of the Island on Island center road is the bainbridge community center
and one day a man who used to live on the Island came back full of stories of the Astrailian out back where he had been living for the last few years. He held a slide show at the center to tell and show the people of his journeys. What I remember the most about the show was all the faces I saw in the rock. thousands of them and I thought I have to go there.

And the Buddhist came from japan...

""nom-yo-ho-rain-gay-kyo""

As a young child my father took us on many peace marches and protests against nuclear power. I'm not sure what year it was, however the year is not important, when the budhists came to bainbridge. We became intant freinds. my father brother and I helped them to build their temple and gardens. We spent many hours at the temple praying and beating the drums. We would all go on pretest marches through out the state together and share meals together and stories of far away lands like Fufuwoka (forgive my spelling hooked on phonics did not work for me) Nippon from which they came, and stories of the Buddha. And I thought I want to go there!
eventually the protesting slowed and went away and the monks had to return to japan but I will always hold them dear to my heart.

Shortly after the third grade on the fourth of july I was stricken by a Buzz Bomb on the hind quarter- with third degree burns six plus inches indiameter i was inflickted
The Buddhists came to my house and healed the wound scab was gone in a week and a half, the scar was gone in two years passing thanks to them and an herb called Moxa.

""Es-oon-chico-de-pimp""

After the Monks had left it was the story telling on public radio that kept my intrest for travel alive. A few trips to Disney Land,Disney World and Tiajuana(the armpit of the universe).
We had a traveler from France, that had overstaid her visa by two years as she hitched across America, stay at my dads for a while. Then the foreign exchange students. Rodrigo Albar from Santiago, Chile came to my highschool for a year of studies. he told me stories of traveling up the coast during the summers and staying at random peoples houses, whoever would put him up for the night and feed him and I thought damn that would be fun and when he went back to Chile I told him I want to go there and visit you.

I sent him one letter after he left and never recieved a reply
I always wondered what happened to that guy my freind Brooks coined the name Rodrigo de Chile es oon chicko de pimp. Rodrigo very much like to have a good time and boy o boy did we from lighting each other on fire outside the O.K. Hotel in Seattle to launching spit wads across the dinning room at Denny's to parties in the guest house that he was staying in. I still think about heading down Santiago some day and traking him down, perhaps I will...

Comments