4160 Meridian Street, Bellingham, Washington, 98226, United States
Expedia.com IHG Orbitz.com

More about Holiday Inn Express Bellingham

Large Group of Franchised Hotels and Motels

by seagoingJLW about Best Western

Each one of these is very different. After all, this is the world's largest hotel chain (more than 4,000 hotels in 80 countries.) They have a rewards program, Gold Crown Club International.

Group with Some Frills

by seagoingJLW about Hyatt Hotels

Hyatt includes:
Grand Hyatt
Park Hyatt
Classic Residence by Hyatt these hotesl are usually in the heart of a city rather than on the road.

Lake Chelan

by Sunshine64

Lake Chelan is about a 4 hour drive from Seattle - on the eastern side of the Cascade Mountains.

While there are some hotels/resorts, most of the accomodations are vacation rental houses - great for families and groups. The house we rented was multi level, with a deck, pool and view of the lake - and within walking distance to a swimming area of the lake. Many people go boating on the lake, but my visit was just for a long weekend getaway with friends.

The lake water is fed by streams from the Cascade Mountains, so the water is COLD! It's also the 3rd largest freshwater lake in the US.

There are lots of activities in the area, including a ferry up the lake and several wineries. See the link for more info.

Concert s at the Gorge Amphitheater

by shellybelly567

The Gorge Amphitheater, aka The Gorge at George because George, WA(ha ha) is the nearest town, is one of the most popular outdoor venues in the U.S. In the summer there is a constant string of huge concerts and festivals like Lollapalooza, Vans Warped Tour, Dave Matthews Band, Phish, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Ben Harper and Bjork.

The amphitheater, which holds 20,000 people, sits on the edge of the Columbia River Gorge, with sheer cliffs dropping down into the river directly behind the stage.

Since it is kind of out in the middle of nowhere, there aren't a lot of cheap hotels so many people choose to camp when they come to the concerts. The amphitheater has their own camp ground right next to the venue, but I wouldn't recommend it. There is no shade, limited bathroom facilities, and it's overcrowded and overpriced.

There are some great alternatives, though. There is a campground called, Wild Horse(a ocuple mi from amphitheater), which runs a shuttle bus to and from concerts, campgrounds in Vantage (13 mi south of amphitheater), and free camping directly on the river on Bureau of Land Management property. As far as I'm concerned, these places are all better than the amphitheater campground as long as you don't mind a short drive.

How to Pack for the Olympic Peninsula, Washington

by aveeateher

When considering luggage and bags, make sure your bags are lightweight and water-resistant. Take an extra (empty) duffle or backpack, because of the current weight limits set by the airlines, so you can be sure to have room to bring home souvineers. Bring a backpack with you for exploring - especially a water-proof backpack, that is comfortable to haul around. DeKine makes backpacks with cooler pockets, too, which is nice (because you need to drink plenty of fluids).

Ziplock Baggies - in ALL sizes for storing snacks, cellphones, camera's, iPods and other things you don't want to get wet. Ignore the categories below. They run over so all of this info fits. Obviously in the winter, you will need winter gear and rain gear. However, I prefer to go between July and September. Here is a sample of what you'll need if you're driving the 101 around the peninsula on a week-long trip.

Jeans - a pair for every day (unless you're planning to do laundry). They will end up damp, no matter what, on beach visiting days or if it rains. You could also wear sweatpants, or the like. I do not recommend slacks, as to get to many of the really cool beaches, you will be climbing over trees and rocks (it's an easy climb - I have MS and I can do it).

Long Sleeve T's - Five or Six (Flannels are okay in the morning and evening, but too hot during the day if you're exploring. THINK - LAYERING!

Short Sleeve T's - Five or Six

Sleeveless/Tank Shirts - Three (these allow you to strip down to your own comfort level as the day grows warmer - which occassionally happens).

Shorts - Three to Four Pair of comfortable walking shorts Bathing Suit and towels - YES... not for the cold 55 degree ocean water, but for the Sol Duc hot springs, or other hot springs you'll find as you travel around. Please be aware that there are some nature lovers out there who prefer to enjoy the springs au-natural (especially if you are traveling with children. Also, some hotel locations have indoor swimming pools and hot tubs.

Sweatshirts - Two (for evening and for early morning walks)

Shoes - comfortable walking/hiking shoes (2 pair - one will invariable end up soaked), waterproof shoes (you can find these on line, I like Land's End for these), and "water shoes" - sneakers that drain water. Pack one more pair of shoes than you think you'll need (a comfortable pair of flats for running around Port Angeles, etc.). Socks - If you like dry socks, pack two pair for each day.

Hat - Wearing a hat makes sense.

Under "things" - I would pack two per day, and (if you're a female) a couple extra bras.

Fancy Clothes and heels - LEAVE THEM AT HOME! NO ONE... not even in Seattle... dresses "up." Women - leave your uber fancy handbags at home and opt for a water resistant handbag, or coated canvas bag.

Toothbrush, toothpaste, wipes (for the plane and rock hunting, etc. Always handy for a quick clean-up), soap, shampoo, conditioner, hairbrush, hairdryer (a lot of the little non-chain hotels do not supply these), hand sanitizer. Hairspray won't help much if you're in the misty areas. Whatever else you require for your daily grooming. I buy trave-size, FAA approved bottles, and put them in a one-quart baggie (required). I double-bag them, to prevent leakage.

Bug-repellant wipes or spray/pump. Double bag these and pack them in your luggage.

Small/travel First Aid Kit. Bring something for bug bites, too. Rain Jackets/Windbreakers - At least one of each. I always pack a raincoat, unlined windbreaker and a lined windbreaker, large enough to layer over sweatshirts. It's often chilly at the beaches, expecially at La Push and Ruby Beach, north. If you are joining a whale watching expedition out on the water, bring a lined raincoat. Even in July and August - it is pretty cold out on the water.

Digital camera in a water-proof case, extra memory cards. Extra batteries and your charger. Buy a car charger, if available, for your camera model. Or, buy an "inverter" for your car. It converts DC to AC using your car's lighter. It is honestly enough energy to run a small television or your laptop. You can charge everything on the go.

I still like to bring my 35mm camera with me. I keep it in a ziplock bag, and I BRING FILM with me. It is hard to find film around the peninsula... it's usually NOT Kodak if they do have film... and it's expensive. Go to your local discount store and stock up. If you are camping, make sure to bring extra tarps and a waterproof tent.

For the beach... again... think layering. It is too cold, even in July, to go in the water without a wetsuit. Most of the lakes are spring-fed and are also cold. Start with layers, based on the day's temperature, and strip down from there. PLAN for chilly and be pleasantly surprised when it gets warm.

Important note: When renting a car... DO NOT RENT FROM THE AIRPORT. There are extra taxes and fees there. For example: I was quoted $400 to over $500 for a week various airport locations. Instead... I called the company that "picks you up" to come and get me from my first hotel in the morning in Burien (near SeaTac), and my total for a week was $154.46 including tax! Look for coupons in entertainment books and online, too.

Whale Watching? Peak whale season is June through August. I like to leave from Port Townsend (only 20 minutes off the 101)... but BOOK BEFORE YOU GO! In peak season, trips sell out early. There is a nice four-hour cruise that guarantees you'll see whales, too. I like PSexpress.

Canada?? Since June 1st, all land, sea and air travel requires a passport or passport card to exit and return to the US. I purchased passport cards, which are cheaper than passports and cover all land and sea travel. YOU MUST HAVE EITHER A PASSPORT OR PASSPORT CARD TO VISIT CANADA.

Rock/Driftwood Hunting: I pack a medium-sized strong canvas bag to carry rocks and small driftwood that I find. It dries quickly and is strong enought to handle the rocks, with comfortable handles. It works much better than just buying a cheap bucket to use while I'm there, and it's easier to carry. I actually pick up boxes from the USPS and carry tape and pre-addressed labels with me because I love to pick up rocks and small pieces of driftwood on my travels, not to mention a few bottles of wine from the awesome Washington wineries. It is cheaper to ship them home than to pay for the extra weight on the airlines. Hint: The beaches on the north-west peninsula are full of natural jade and great rocks for hot-rock massage!

Driving Around?? It is EASY to navigate the 101. When we go, we turn down side roads to the west and find incredible beaches with no one even on them! We turn up mountain roads and find gorgeous, huge trees and wonderful scenery (and one time, a bear!). BE AN EXPLORER! GO OFF ROAD... then turn around and head back to the 101.

Visiting Olympic National Park and Hurrican Ridge?? Buy a weekly car park pass for $15 and go in and out all of the different park entrances to explore. Hurrican Ridge is COLD, so make sure you're very layered!!

Motel on the way to Olympic Park

by ma333

We are arriving to Tacoma Int. airport very late in the evening heading to the Olympic park and Victoria. Could you pls. recommend us a decent Motel on the way, maybe in the Tacoma Area.

Thanks,
Meir

Re: Motel on the way to Olympic Park

by Carnation

Try here:

Re: Motel on the way to Olympic Park

by zuriga

There are lots and lots of motels and hotels around the Sea-Tac airport. All the big chains are very close by. I once stayed at the Doubletree, and it was very nice.

Re: Re: Motel on the way to Olympic Park

by rmdw

I'd also say right around SeaTac. The road to Port Angeles, where you'll catch the ferry to Victoria, is good but I wouldn't want to be driving its twists and turns at night.

Also be sure you know the sailing times. There's not as frequent as other ferries.

Robert W.

Vancouver BC to the Gorge, where to base ourselves

by aqazi

We're travelling down from Vanoucver BC for the Sasquatch festival in May at the Gorge. Will be leavinng on the Friday night and figure that we'll try and get as far as we can, so have hotels in Bellevue or Bothell in mind to spend the night and before and the night after. Is this a convenient place to stop or should we base ourselves elsewhere? We'll be leaving BC after work so we don't want to have to be on the road too for too long on the outbound journey. On the way back we just visit a few malls and then aim to be back how around the late afternoon.

RE: Vancouver BC to the Gorge, where to base ourselves

by YVRDave

I would try to get past Seattle. Tacoma or Olympia, watch out for the Artesians, they come out at night.

Washington Oregon fly drive

Hi,

This summer we are heading for new territory (for us) on our summer holiday to America. We've planned the route and are now looking into sorting out where we will stay. I would like to ask if any of you have recommendations for clean well situated ecomomical motels or hotels in the following.

Nr Seattle Tacoma airport.
Morton
Hood River
Leavenworth
Winthrop
Everett

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Re: Washington Oregon fly drive

by vaara

I recommend Silver Cloud Inns; they're basically just large motels, but they're reasonably priced and have free broadband internet in all rooms! Nice breakfasts, too. They have locations near Sea-Tac and Everett, and in Portland too. www.silvercloud.com

by Easty

There were a whole bunch of chain motels along Rte 30 in Cascade Locks near Hood River. You might want to go on their website to see what type of deals there are. I believe that there was a Best Western that was right on the Columbia River. Also, there is a nice boat ride that is based in Cascade Locks where you can see the Columbia Gorge. I

Vaara,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.

UUXXCC,

I dont know what is in Morton or Everett. We've picked Morton because its seems from the maps to be a reasonable place to stay after seeing Mt Rainier and before seeing Mt St Helens.

Everett looks a reasonable place to stay after driving through the cascade loop and before taking a tour of the Boeing factory which my kids are desparate to do.

Thanks for the lodging tips.

Easty,

Many thanks for the info. I'll follow up on it.

Comments