Rodeway Inn Bellingham

Rodeway Inn
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Bellingham

From Chuckanut Drive overlooking the San JuansFrom Chuckanut Drive overlooking the San Juans

Bellingham with Mt Baker in the backgroundBellingham with Mt Baker in the background

bridgebridge

Big Rock GardenBig Rock Garden

Schools in Bellingham

Greetings All,
My family and I will be exploring Bellingham next summer as a potential place to relocate to. It sounds like a great fit in so many ways; we're looking for a progressive place to raise our two boys where you can walk to stuff and every restaurant and retail store isn't a franchise with a University and an outdoorsy focused lifestyle. So looking forward to visiting for sure!
My question is this: How are the schools there? Our oldest is just 3 so we don't have any experience yet but we're pretty sure that the Montessori approach will be the best fit for our boys. I know the only Montessori schools in Bham are private, anyone have experience with them? How are the public schools? Are they at all creative in their teaching approach or is it the same cookie cutter method that we're hearing horror stories about?

Thanks so much for any help.

Cheers,
-Eric

RE: Schools in Bellingham

by nebulaflash

Do you mean Bellingham in Washington? There must be more than one city of this name?

by waxxworx

Yes Bellingham Washington, there are several towns with that name guess I should've specified.

RE: RE: RE: Schools in Bellingham

by nebulaflash

I live an hour or so away from there and don't know that city - after all this - but I think if you crossed the border into Canada you'd find White Rock (South Surrey) and Vancouver, B.C. would probably have a selection of Montessori schools, have some "progressive" social activists, and have the retail/restaurant storefronts that are not exclusively franchised. However, crossing the border might not be an option for you. So, I hope you get more answers than this. If not, try again in the Miscellaneous forum.

RE: RE: RE: Schools in Bellingham

by barney1974

bellingham is a nice place to raise a family. the schools are above average. another place with better schools and way of life is anacortes though. good luck on your move.

by tahoesasha

Bellingham is a lot more progressive than Anacortes. Probably the most progressive city in WA outside of Seattle. Cute town!!

by tahoesasha

Duh, I forgot Olympia!

Travel Tips for Bellingham

Saunter along the waterfront...

by zhamster

Saunter along the waterfront from downtown's industrial playgrounds into gentrified Fairhaven to watch the sun melt into the bay while throwing rocks into the periwinkle waters.

An empty fifth of whiskey makes a good target for you and your good friend. Youth. Give me youth.

San Juan Sailing strongly recommended

by PhilHut

If you're interested in doing some sailing or taking sailing lessons while in Bellingham, definitely look up the fine folks at San Juan Sailing. Initially a sailing novice, I took several of their learn-n-cruise classes (through advanced coastal cruising), and have nothing but good things to say about them. They are a friendly, professional bunch, and their boats are in great shape.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way other than being a happy customer.

Easy access to the San Juan and Gulf Island chains makes this one of the best sailing areas in the world.

Lakes galore

by artgrad

I wouldn't say this is off the beaten path for sure, but not all visitors know which lakes are best for swimming and relaxing. Some require hiking to, so I'll just mention the easily accesible ones. Lake Whatcom is huge, and has a public area where lots of people hang out, but the water can be a bit too cold at times and a little choppy for kayaking etc. My preference is Lake Padden, just south of town- it has lots of space to sunbathe, a tennis court, great trails for running/walking, and the waters are relatively warm and calm. Other lakes to look for include Lake Samish and Toad Lake.

used bookstores

by artgrad

sure we've got our barnes and noble, but bellingham also has several local used bookstores. my favorite is henderson's downtown, just shelves and shelves of books. there are several others i haven't been to, but are worth checking out. And in Fairhaven the newly remodeled Village Books carries both new and used, and is linked to the very quaint Paper Dreams gift shop.

Lummi Island

by artgrad

If you'd like a fun little trip out of town, try driving the half-hour to the lummi ferry dock, then enjoy a short but pleasant ferry ride across the water to little Lummi Island. On your drive you will pass through the Lummi Reservation, which is worth it's own visit, but is not associated with the Island. There is a cute restaurant on Lummi, called The Beach Store. This Island is home to many of Bellingham's local artists, and they often host artist studio tours. Though there is not much touristy shopping to be done, it is very scenic, and your best bet if you want some action is to check out their events calendar and see what interests you.

Comments