1620 CANYON RD., Ellensburg, WA, 98926
Holiday Inn Express
IHG Orbitz.com Priceline.com

More about Ellensburg

CHCI buildingCHCI building

Silene's first teepee and campfireSilene's first teepee and campfire

My sister on the rightMy sister on the right

A view of Ellensburg from the SouthEastA view of Ellensburg from the SouthEast

Travel Tips for Ellensburg

Grand concerts

by lar-n-me

The Gorge Amphitheater is a popular place for outdoor concerts, located among the vineyards in Central Washington just off Interstate 90 close to the town of George. The amphitheater is on the cliffs overlooking the Columbia River gorge. 40 minutes from Ellensburg.

gorge concert calendar 2004

My 2004 Vacation part 1

by JAFA-Rease

"I finally get a break!!!"

After travelling alone with my daughter from Germany, which went very well, we arrived in Portland, Oregon and hung out with one of my sister's for a few days. We then drove up to Ellensburg, Washington and stayed for about 10 days. Thanks again for the car Teckla!!!

We arrived in time to catch my other sister's graduation (bachelor's degree) at CWU and hang out with my mother.

All in all it was an excellent and relaxing trip. My mother and her husband had recently purchased a new house with a nice enclosed yard and my sister hosted a fun graduation party, along with her husband.

"The graduation"

Due to jetlag and my daughters' sleeping schedule I didn't actually make it to the graduation. This turned out to be a good thing. It thoroughly bored everyone in the family who attended ; )

"The party"

The party was more like a family reunion. Nearly everyone (except my brother and one uncle was there). One of my aunts lent an authentic indian teepee (which was very challenging to setup) for the party. There was plenty of good food, a mountain bike course, rope swings and beer of course.

"Teepee time! And I don't mean toilet paper ; )"

As the sun began to set and the wind picked up (did I mention it's almost always windy in Eburg?) my daughter and I went in search of firewood for the teepee campfire. It was starting to get a bit chilly. Once everyone saw the smoke coming out of the teepee the party moved into it. I was amazed at how many people you can get in one of them.

"Smoking Sweet Grass"

Apparently there's an indian tradition of smoking sweet grass. My aunt brought a braided piece of sweet grass which we lit. You then sniff the grass smoke and pass it around the teepee. Unfortunately none of the pictures I took of this turned out.

"Adjusting"

Despite the travel, jetlag, many new people and a completely foreign environment, my daughter adjusted very well. We did have a few really early mornings, but that was to be expected.

"Of BBQ's and Banjo's"

Most evenings we would hang out at my mother's and cook or BBQ. My new stepfather plays the banjo and provided the entertainment.

"Time with family"

I don't get back to the states to visit often. The goal of the vacation was to relax, not be at work and catch up on lost time.

Thanks again to everyone for being such good hosts!

Comments