4313 Roche Harbor Rd, Friday Harbor, WA 98250

Lakedale Resort at Three Lakes
Booking.com Priceline.com

• quick, call the health department! swamp ooze!

My wife and I were visiting family on Friday Harbor and because their house was packed, we needed somewhere to stay. We looked at the Lakedale Resort and thought it looked nice and that we'd give it a try. Although the rate was extremely expensive, we figured it was due to the weekend and because the room was nice and had a fireplace and jacuzzi soaking tub. Big mistake...

We arrived at the lodge late and because the staff couldn't be bothered we actually had to find our keys hidden in an envelope in the lobby, not the most fun thing to be doing @ 11pm after a long day spent with family....

We went to the room. It seemed nice. The beds were stiff and the pillows seemed uncomfortable. However, the room looked nice and we settled in.

The first thing I did was start the tub running, I wanted a long hot soak with the jets turned on. The tub was large so I left it running BEFORE I got in and watched TV with my wife for a bit. I am so glad I did...

Imagine my surprise when I get back to the tub and IT'S FILLED WITH PUTRID GREEN, VISCOUS OOZE. I would have said water but this was slightly thicker and had weird bits of sediment in it that I hoped was mud but frankly I had no idea since it also smelled terrible and soon stank up the whole bathroom. I could not figure out what was going on, I thought it might be a problem with the tub. No such luck. I filled up the sinks in the room and they also filled with the nasty smelling green muck.

Check the pictures attached to this review. You have to see what I am talking about for yourself.

This is like something you see in a horror movie, like The Blob, so naturally I tried calling the staff. No response. I was tempted to start banging on doors and trying to rouse any sleeping managers but I was exhausted and we went to bed. Luckily we had some bottled waters with us that we could drink.

In the morning I went down to the front desk when it opened and complained. The woman down there, who claimed to be married to the owner or manager, told me that nothing was wrong with the water and that they extensively filtered it as it came from the "lake." At this point, since it was daytime, I took a look outside and saw more clearly what the "lake" looked like. It was basically a swamp with stagnant water and muddy ground lining the whole thing. That explained everything.

The woman tried to deny anything was wrong and said the water was perfectly safe. I showed her some pictures from my phone and also told her the water was sitting upstairs and she could come take a look at it herself, right away.

We went to breakfast while they "evaluated" the ooze in our room. I euphemistically call this breakfast because it was cold cereal, cold hard boiled eggs, some cold fruit and some bread products, all fix it yourself style. We were also afraid to eat anything made with the water (or ooze) such as the only hot item they had there—instant oatmeal and a hot pot of ooze to make it with. It felt like we were staying at a Motel 6, definitely not an "upscale hotel." I took some pictures to illustrate this. For the huge price tag of this place, I expected a menu and a chef, or at least some hot entrees served buffet style. What a joke. We could have had a better breakfast at the grocery store.

Breakfast was eerie, as only one other guest came to it. We wondered why the place was so empty on a holiday weekend.
    After breakfast was over we decided to check out and go find some running water where we could bathe and brush our teeth.

Down at the reception desk, the real circus began.

The woman at the desk told us she went to the room and saw the ooze for herself. She agreed it was unacceptable and that something was seriously wrong. That was good. Here come the bad parts:

She tried telling us that although it was "unacceptable" that the water was safe to bathe in or even drink. Being a trained scientist, I decided to call her bluff. I immediately walked back upstairs to the room and filled a glass with water and brought it back down to the front desk. I asked her to drink it right there in front of us. She refused and started mumbling...

She offered us a 50% discount on the room.
    The price for this place was enormous, and they had jacked it up due to the holiday rate as well. The price even at 50% was still outrageous for a room WITH NO SANITARY RUNNING WATER. I was about ready to start shouting and then she realized how upset we were and pulled out a large gift-box (wrapped, so we could not see inside). She told us that there were "premium" Aveeno amenities inside and that it was to make up for our awful experience. My wife likes Aveeno a lot so we took the box and left.

As a final insult, the woman told me she was sorry that "you are your friend had such an awful time there." My friend?! It was my wife! Our wedding rings were plainly visible and we had referenced each other as husband and wife several times to her face! I cannot believe the sheer idiocy this woman displayed... did she think we were both married and having an affair?

Outside in the car we opened up the box and discovered one tiny, SAMPLE, thimble-sized Aveeno product and two large plastic jars of the basic soap and shampoo that the hotel uses, WHICH WE COULD HAVE TAKEN FROM THE ROOM OURSELVES.

All in all, this resort could have been something nice. While the location was probably bad due to the time of year (November), the place looked like it had potential. Unfortunately, they don't have a reliable plumbing system and I sincerely hope that there were no sewage complications involved either. Who knows what was in that ooze...

Also, their customer service is awful, deceptive, and disrespectful. Unfortunately, because it seems that the bad customer service came from the owners themselves, it is not likely to change due to firing, hiring or re-training, so your best bet is to avoid this place for several years until they sell it or they get old and turn it over to a competent management staff.

-They lied about the water being safe enough to drink, because they themselves wouldn't drink it.
    -They pulled a fast one with the gift box and made us think it would be worth something.
    -They were rude and insulted my marriage.
    -They think its fair to give a 50% discount for a room with no sanitary running water. At least the toilet worked I guess... Whoohoo!

I'm sure the Hotel management will reply to this and try to downplay the whole thing, or possibly even deny it. It will be tough for them to do so considering the pictures we attached to this review. Given their responses to other reviews on this site, I have no doubt they will do their best to pretend that none of this ever happened, or at least deny as much of it as they can. Save your money, you'd be better of staying at the cheapest motel on Friday Harbor rather than this dump.

I wish I could give this place "0" stars—they couldn't pay me to stay here again!!

Stayed in November of 2010.

Unique Quality: Is anything unique when there's no sanitary running water?

Directions: You don't want directions, stay away from this place.

More about Friday Harbor

SealsSeals

Haro StraitHaro Strait

View at the top of Mount YoungView at the top of Mount Young

Early SunsetEarly Sunset

San Juan Airlines

by rbrowne

Hi there,

Would anyone have an email address for San Juan Airlines. I am living in Ireland and so the 'toll free number' does not work from here.

Many thanks.

* Fax: (360) 293-0517
* ccarlson@sanjuanairlines.com

Re: San Juan Airlines

by rbrowne

Thank you very much for your reply.

Travel Tips for Friday Harbor

Weather

by birdwalker

Well, I happen to like rainy days. I would like to caution visitors who believe the publicity that says 270 sunny days per year -- or some such number. Somehow, somewhere, someone read climate information in a meteorological data set and saw that there are 270 (or whatever) "days with sun". My memory may fail me, but when I last read in a similar data set the meaning of "days with sun" it was defined as any day with twenty consecutive minutes or more of sunshine. "Days with sun" does not mean sunny days. Very often the day will be gloomy or rainy and then about an hour before sunset the sky will clear and we'll have a bit of sunshine. I live here; I am used to overcast skies. However, when I travel I prefer a lot more sunshine per day than a few minutes. I live here. Since I moved here, I hardly ever travel. On the rare occasions that I leave the island, what I miss most is the quiet -- but then I never go to town in the afternoon. If you like quiet activities, hiking, birding, looking for native plants, etc., you'll enjoy the islands. I also like the pampering one gets at our B&Bs -- when I travel, I always choose to stay at a B&B that offers a fabulous breakfast.

Enjoy your trip out here....

by PNW_Travel

Enjoy your trip out here. Riding on the Washington State ferries can be half the fun on your trip! The scenery is wonderful. No matter how many years or trips I have taken on the ferry I always find the rides most enjoyable. Be aware that you must wait in line to board if you are bringing your car...the wait can vary from an hour to several hours. If you are a walk on passenger then you can forgo that wait, but that will limit what you can see once you get to the islands. For more information on the state ferries go to their web site at www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries Whenever the ferry pulls away from the dock at Anacortes I always feel a relief...to leave behind all traffic lights, 4 lane roads and highways, chain restaurants and crime.

Watch the sunset.

by Toughluck

We thought we were being original. We had visited the Lime Kiln Lighthouse earlier and realized that it looked west across Haro Straits. On the horizon was Vancouver Island. This would be a great place to watch the sunset. So we came back neare to sunset. In the summer, that can be as late as 10:00 PM.

Well, we showed up and there were some cars in the parking lot. Actually, more than when we had been here earlier in the day. The short walk out to the bluffs brought us to a gathering. Now I say gathering, because we 'expected' to be along. Instead, there must have been 20-30 others waiting for the sun to go down. Everyone was polite, talk was in quiet murmurs. Slowly, people spread out along the trail from the overlook to the lighthouse and suddenly, it was as if we were there alone, just the 5 in our group.

It was wonderful. Over the next 40 minutes the sky changed colors in a light display unlike any I've seen elsewhere.

A fun family vacation!

by sinsitar80

This trip that I took my family on was fantastic! Sea Quest Expeditions had the lowest price that I could find, but had the most professional service. A great guide with plenty of experience and is a marine biologist as well! They take great pride in their work and in the comfort and fun of their clients! My kids were astonished to see all the whales and were quite eager to hear the many stories from our guide regarding the marine life.

A first rate experience that I heartily recommend for anyone!

Welcome to Paradise

by vermelho_luz_do_sol

Friday Harbor is a place of breathtaking scenery mixed with a wonderful small town community. Go and visit in the fall after the main rush of tourism is over as everything will still be open (some things close for the winter, but not most) but the Indian Summer will make the visit unbelievable.

Comments