Company Planned Community for Columbia River Mill
In the very distant past, a site just south of Longivew was known as "Monticello" and was the site of some of the historic efforts to get the State of Washington created.
In 1918, Long-Bell lumber company of Kansas City realized that its timber holdings in the southeast were being depleted. For more trees, they looked westward.
Kelso was long established as a community at that time, but was much to small to support the rather large lumber mill complex that started to be planned (originally the plans were much smaller, but that went out the window soon after the full extent of the work was under way). A large area of land to the west of Kelso was purchased, and a large new company owned town was formed to house the some 14,000 workers that were estimated to be required to operate the lumber complex.
Nationally known city planners from Kansas City were contracted to plan a community that would function well and not be the common pit of poverty that frequently were the case in Pacific Northwest company towns of the time.
A number of civic features, including a high school, library, and a few other well known structures were direct gifts from Robert A Long of the Long-Bell lumber company.