Domaine Madeleine

The exteriorThe exterior

New Dungeness LighthouseNew Dungeness Lighthouse

Sunset on the Strait of Juan de FucaSunset on the Strait of Juan de Fuca

Travel Tips for Port Angeles

Summer visit to the Olympic Peninsula.

by jhelgeland

"Getting accomodations"

My wife and I stayed at BJ's Garden Gate B&B. We originally tried to book a stay online at another place. They called about an hour after we had asked for reservations online to tell us they were booked. They told us the reason why (the Lavender Festival in nearby Sequim was just getting over), recommended several other B&B's, and said they would pass the word around that we were looking. Within half a day we had received 2 phone calls and a couple of emails from other local places. We chose BJ's pretty much at random and it turned out to be terrific. The setting was absolutley beautiful and BJ and her husband were very nice. They helped with suggestions about where to eat, what to go see in the National Parks, what to avoid, etc. All the local B&B operators know and respect one another and did not hesitate in the least to say good things about each other. The comaraderie of the local hospitality community was just amazing to us.

Port Angeles, Washington

by rids

I have been in Port Angeles many times. When I lived in Victoria I used to come here to go camping in Olympic National Park. My first camping trip, without my parents, was when I was 16. I had my first car and my driver's license for about a week and I took off with my 13 year old brother for the rain forests of Olympic National Park. We stayed in every campsite, for 2 days each. We had been going camping every year since we were born, so we knew all about it, but I was surprised how well my little brother pitched a tent and got a fire going. Our favorite campsite was the Hoh Rainforest, and second was Lake Quinault. One night we ended up in a primitive campside (except that you could drive in with a car). It was so dark we absolutely could not see our hands in front of our faces. I guess the trees were so dense they blocked out even the stars. This was a first for even us seasoned campers.
Port Angeles is only 18 miles away across the water from Victoria. Now I usually pass through here to take the Coho Ferry to Victoria. This summer the ferry was full and we missed the late afternoon ferry by ONE car, so had to wait for 4 hours. Although I hated missing the ferry, we had time to walk around Port Angeles (in the rain), and discovered a great restaurant, Michael's, where we spent at least 3 hours.
The photo of the cormorants sculpture is near the waterfront park next to the ferry dock. These birds, to me, really represent the northwest Pacific Coast, even more than the ever-present seagulls.

Comments