Port Townsend Hotels

Our Members Say

• richiecdisc profile photo richiecdisc
  • Reviews: 5929

Water Street Hotel: stay on top of a brewery

The Water Street Hotel somehow escaped me. Located right on top of the Water Street Brewery & Ale House, I do see how but it did. Located in the same historical red brick building as the brewpub, this simple hotel offers a bit of old world charm, an amazing location, and very affordable prices, especially if you are willing to go without your own private bath. Now, that's old world: sink in the room and bath down the hall.

Since I did not know about this place, we unfortunately did not stay but rooms look nice enough on their website and go for as little as $45 in winter. It should be noted that the brewpub does often have live music so it may not be the most quiet place on those nights.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Beer Tasting, Road Trip
  • Written November 17, 2009

one hotel I wished I had not missed

• richiecdisc profile photo richiecdisc
  • Reviews: 5929

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Fort Townsend State Park Campground: wonderful nature so close to town

Fort Townsend State Park offers fine camping fairly close to town. The Olympic Peninsula is one lush place so expect the spots at this state park to be well treed. They were generally well-spaced with restrooms a bit on the old side. They did have showers but you had to get tokens rather than using quarters. The park is a bit of an attraction in its own right with nearly 4000 feet of saltwater shoreline and a rich military past dating back to the pioneer days.

We arrived pretty late on a Saturday afternoon. There was only one spot left and it was right next to the rest room. It's great for convenience but always one of the busiest sites since everyone uses it. It did make it easy to check if the shower was occupied! It was also the smallest and most cramped spot in the campground, most of which were quite nice. I guess we were lucky to even get a spot!

At $15 it is a good value and if you have time, you can explore the old fort as part of your entrance fee. We did not get to do this but certainly happy enough with the camping. There is fair wildlife in the park too. I went out in the morning to get something while D was sleeping and a huge owl swooped down in front of my car! In six months of camping, it was the best bird sighting even in any of the national parks. I got pulled over by a ranger right before this for going too fast. He just gave me a warning but do watch your speed over this small section of road.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Road Trip, National/State Park, Camping
  • Written November 17, 2009

another pretty mural in Port Townsend

• glabah profile photo glabah
  • Reviews: 2566
Pilot House / Pilot's Cottage: House at South End of Quiet Area, Near Water

I did not stay at this place. However, I ws in town for a few hours, and thought this place looked interesting. Not finding any VT reviews of the place, I decided to create at least a brief description I could bookmark for future reference.

According to the web site, the place is called "The Pilot's Cottage" but the sign in the front of the house says that it is called "The Pilot House". Also according to the web site, the cottage sleeps four people, and prices are in the $996 per week range, in September (off season but still a popular month).

Based on the photos of the insides of the house, it looks like this could be an interesting option for a group larger than four people, though obviously not suggested by the owners!

The house is within a few blocks of the main part of historic downtown Port Townsend, but as it is located at the end of the road on the edge of the water, there isn't a huge amount of traffic (though there is a little to the nearby marina and restaurants on the other side of the marina).

The views out the windows don't appear to be spectacular, as the marina and buildings block some of the view, but it is a short distance from places that have a wonderful view - and the views aren't terrible or even bad. They just aren't the best that Port Townsend has to offer (which are far more expensive, I'm sure).

Rates are available on nightly, weekly, and monthly basis.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Road Trip, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written October 13, 2009

The Pilot's Cottage across the street from Marina

• jannyjo profile photo jannyjo
  • Reviews: 1

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Aladdin: Right on the water!

We stayed on the third floor. Our room faced the water at the end of the channel that leads into the marina. It was quiet, a picturesque view without commercialization anywhere in sight.
We had looked at two other waters's edge motels (that we could afford) and really got a deal when we chose this one.
We had previously been badly misled by what we consider false advertisement for a Different motel, got our money back and stayed at the Aladdin for our 25th wedding anniversary.
A seagull joined us each morning on the ledge of our balcony for shared muffins (the continental breakfast).
We could hear the lapping of the water with our balcony doors open. It was SO peaceful. out on our balcony we could look down to the left and see the ferries come and go.
I'd stay there again in a second.
It wasn't a huge room. It wasn't the best contential breakfast I've ever had, it wasn't the luxerious kitchenette we've had in executive suites but it was terrific for what the town had to offer and have the water too!

No view on anything commerical from our balcony.
The people, the manager and the workers were personable and Very helpful! A rarity in our travels!
It was peaceful. Quiet.