Doubletree Arctic Club Hotel Seattle

Orbitz.com Hotels.com Travelocity

More about Doubletree Arctic Club Hotel Seattle

What a delight!

by TripAdvisor Member onthego919

My husband and I stayed at the Arctic Club Hotel on a Monday night at the beginning of our trip to British Columbia, and again the next Monday night before flying back to the east coast. I had not heard of it before, but stumbled across it on the internet and booked it mainly because of its location and the price. What a wonderful surprise! It is an absolutely beautiful, perfectly clean, and very friendly hotel. We were given a room upgrade both nights without even asking, and the front desk staff sent a gorgeous tray of fruit and mineral water up to our room on the second visit "as a thanks for coming back". We have never had such a pleasant experience and warm welcome at a hotel before. I highly recommend the Arctic Club with absolutely no reservation. You'll love it!

Thank you Arctic Club for a wonderful 1st time in Seattle!

by TripAdvisor Member SharpLVN

I would definitely stay at this hotel again/recommend to others who don't mind walking, exploring the downtown area. We had a good internet, pre-pay deal so I feel it was a good value. The room had a seating area which was nice.

For cheap ground transportation from the airport, follow signs to baggage claim and walk past the baggage & rental car area, outside to door 00. Take the 194 (bay 2) to downtown, $1.75/pp. It was a full bus so it was a long wait w/ locals and other travelers. We had to stand w/ our luggage for a 20+ min ride! Our flight landed at 10:30am but we probably didn't get to the hotel til noon because we didn't know our way around. Get off at the Pioneer Square stop (we missed it and got off at University, then had to walk a few blocks). But you can't miss it once you are on the corner of 3rd & Cherry. (It would be helpful if the hotel website had specific bus info in addition to driving directions.)

We ate at the restaurant & also had room service, both were fine! All hotel staff was professional and courteous. They let us check in early (which was much appreciated after all the stress of the bus ride) & those cookies were delish. Loved the polar bar/lobby area w/ lots of seating, quiet corners. I was extremely satisfied w/ the room & hotel, very clean, & didn't have a "smell" as some old hotels do. True about the windows needing double panes because we heard buses/street noise at night, but I passed out at night from all the day activity.

This was definitely a foodie trip for us. Sad the bakery next door was closed on Sunday, so we never got to try it. Instead we had the Grand Marnier French Toast @ Juno. Fabulous! We ate at the Space Needle (pricy but excellent dishes), and pike's (Beecher Mac & Cheese), & hit up the International Beerfest (only on July 4th weekend?). I never knew Seattle was so hilly, like San Francisco! Lots of walking to Waterfront/Pike's & free bus rides to Westlake, which is the shopping area. From there we took the Monorail to the Space Needle ($4 R/T/pp).

Perfect for solo/couple travel - business or leisure

by TripAdvisor Member AustinMom68

I travel to Seattle on business about once a quarter, typically by myself. As a mom of 2 young children, I appreciate amenities (small and large) that make my trip smooth sailing and enhance that "mini-vacation" feeling moms and dads get when we have a few nights to ourselves (don't pretend you don't know what I am talking about, parents). I chose the Arctic because it is one block from my company's office and had a very good rate compared to similar hotels. I also like boutique hotels - my stay was before the sale to Doubletree, I think, so I hope they have not changed anything about it.

The Arctic has a strong sense of history, being located in a former gentleman's club. The hotel does a great job of maintaining that manly, clubby feel, without overdoing it. As a woman, I felt quite at home, but still a little like I was getting away with something sneaking into the boys' club (tee hee!)!

Nice touches like speedy valet service, loaner umbrellas, french press coffee in the rooms, newspaper every morning, robes, nice in room office area, etc. I appreciated not getting charged for internet access. I sure hope the Doubletree hasn't come in and messed with that policy. Wireless has become such a standard amenity that it feels wrong to be charged for it - like if they charged extra for pillows on the beds! Staff was lovely, checkout a breeze. Rooms a bit tiny, but clean.

I did not spend any time in the bar because I was too busy with work, but I really, really wanted to. It looks cozy and warm, and a great place to sink into a chair and enjoy a martini.

Never in a million years would I stay here with my kids, at least not until they are old enough to appreciate french press coffee and leather club chairs, but I will definitely be using this hotel for future business trips, and would recommend it for couples.

I thought the restaurant (JUNO) was a bit lackluster, but in downtown Seattle who cares - there are plenty of other choices.

Very plush and comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member Threekidfamily

This hotel offers very comfortable rooms with many amenities. Beds are very comfortable, large bathrooms, and very friendly staff. The rates were reasonable. The parking fee is outrageous throughout the whole city so be aware. We ended up just paying for valet parking through the hotel.

Standard rooms are small, but rest is Okay

by TripAdvisor Member Son_of_a_Sailor_51

Stayed here, as we were attending a concert at WaMu Theatre at Qwest Field. Several previous reviews noted that the standard rooms were small, so no real surprise when we checked into ours for the night.
The room itself was clean, nice bathroom, flat screen TV, etc. The bed was extremely comfie.
The front desk service was above par, and they answered all our questions without hesitation and provided maps etc to make our stay more comfortable.
We did not eat or drink at any of the bars/restaurants, so no comment.

Our room safe had a glitch, but a call to the front desk, and the problem was rectified within minutes.

Found it close to everything, and not much trouble walking to Qwest field, Pioneer Square and Pikes Place Market. Yes Seattle is hilly, but we found walking down Cherry St, right next to the hotel, down to 1st Ave, was the lesser of the steeper hills.

Recommended for a Seattle visit.

Wonderful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member TemeculaTraveler

This is a wonderful hotel. It is located in downtown Seattle and is close to all the sites. It is within easy walking distance of Safeco and Quest fields. The hotel is clean, it has great service, and is very nicely furnished and charming. My wife and I stayed here and we walked to Safeco field for a baseball game. Parking is very expensive and if you can find a place on the street you can avoid $33 a night for parking.

I love the walrus theme

by TripAdvisor Member aek2009

We recently took a trip to the west coast and the Arctic Club was by far the best hotel we booked! From the chic bar with absinthe galore to the spacious room with a generous bathroom. Service was immaculate, from the warm cookie upon arrival to the taxi request at departure. The one downside, if there is one, is the location. It's a tad far from Pikes Place Market but the walk in summer, without the rain, was quite enjoyable. I also love the stone walri (?) decorating the exterior of the building. I would stay here agin in a heart beat!

Delightful!

by TripAdvisor Member Traumatik

We went to Seattle for a wedding and spent four nights at the Arctic Club. So as not to bury the lead, we'll start by saying that this was the best hotel experience we've had in the US.

We arrived at SEATAC and took the bus to the city ($2, vs. $20+ for a taxi--just look for the 194 or 174 line, if memory serves) and arrived about 200 feet from the hotel. Check-in was about as efficient as could be imagined. The staff was very welcoming and the check-in cookies were delicious. Our room was on the seventh floor, facing Third Avenue, overlooking the Smith Tower (Wow! A must-see, if only for the lobby.) and affording a great view of the rising moon. Our room was quite large enough for our needs and had a business-style desk with the usual wireless Internet and, as a nice surprise, a drawer with a ruler, scissors, stapler, staple remover, paper clips ... well, you get the picture. We didn't use any of these, but what a nice surprise. This "we'll try to anticipate your needs" attitude pervaded the hotel. In our experience, any good hotel has a folder in each room describing the available services in boring detail. The Arctic Club has a very abbreviated folder saying, essentially, "If you want something, give the desk a call." I'll also echo what a lot of reviewers have said about the beds--ours was as comfortable as we have ever had in a hotel anywhere.

The ambiance of the public spaces was wonderful. Don't miss the ballroom on the third floor with its fifty-foot stained glass dome ceiling. Another don't-miss is the art deco hotel bar, reminiscent of the Overlook bar in /The Shining/. Victor, the bartender, has been with the hotel since its opening last year and clearly loves the place. If you ask, he'll show you the booklet he's made of the history of the hotel since its opening as a club in, as I recall, 1907. When we mentioned the similarity to the one in the movie, Victor said that we were far from the first guests that had made the connection. If you go to the bar, try a French 75 cocktail--you won't be disappointed.

The location was good. You won't be in a nightlife hot spot (there's nothing nearby, since you'll be in the heart of the business district), but you will be a few blocks from the ferry (our wedding was on Bainbridge Island), Pioneer Square, and the Rem Koolhaas main library, (well worth the short walk), and about twelve blocks from Pike Plaza, if you like mobs of tourists watching people throwing fish around.

In sum, we'd go back in a second. We're researching excuses to get back to Seattle. I'm almost reluctant to post this review since we'd love to have this gem all to ourselves, but I guess we should share it with everyone who wants a fantastic Seattle experience.

We would definitely stay here again!

by TripAdvisor Member Harper23

We stayed at the Arctic Club with other family members, and had 3 rooms amongst us. Ours was the smallest room, a bit tight for space but very well decorated, comfortable, and full of all the amenities we wanted. The other rooms our family had were larger, but we had the largest bathroom with a tub, something their bathrooms did not include. The lobby was very cozy, with a large fireplace, cool bar, pool table, computers for guest use, and desks. Decorating throughout the hotel was unique and appealing. The fitness room was clean and well-equipped. We were in a good location, close to the library, Seattle Art Museum, and not far from Pike's Place Market. I've stayed in Seattle once before, at the Inn at the Market just up the street from the entrance to Pike's Place Market. I would go back to either place but really liked the Arctic because it was not in such a busy area but still close to attractions. The bed was very comfortable-highly recommend staying at the Arctic Club.

Their goal is a "10" and they delivered

by TripAdvisor Member travelswithmimi

Last year we stayed here twice for our trips to see the Mariners play. In my review I said I could see the potential but it had not yet "arrived"

So, now it has. From check in on I could tell that things had changed. It is now a DoubleTree property and it is easy to see that they know how to get it done! We were given a room on the Hilton Honors floor but it looked much the same as the other rooms we have had there, all very well appointed and stocked with STARBUCK'S....yeah! We dined downstairs at JUNO's and surprise, surprise!!!...the prices had gone down yet the food was fabulous as usual. Our waiter was wearing a button "10". I asked what it meant and she told me that their goal was nothing less than 10 in service and quality. She was great...giving our friends directions and taking time to show them on a map. Later she saw us upstairs in the lobby lounge and stopped to joke with us about finding our way to the bar with no difficulty.

The beds are just the best. I slept so soundly and because of the blackout drapes we slept in later than we thought we would. Again....STARBUCK's in a french press....does it get any better?

The breakfast options in the neighborhood are plentiful but we decided to go back to Juno. The waiter was quite a character and we enjoyed the entertainment with our breakfast. My smoked salmon benedict was to die for and the chef made us a smoked salmon and shrimp omelette that was the best ever. He delivered it personally then checked back to see if we liked it.

We returned to The Arctic club this year because it is a close walk to the stadium. We were delighted that they have it down now and they certainly delivered the "10" they were striving for.

By the way....Mariners won in the 11th inning.

In the Smith Tower lobbyIn the Smith Tower lobby

On the Seattle Underground TourOn the Seattle Underground Tour

covered passenger area in tent structure on piercovered passenger area in tent structure on pier

Jillian's includes many different gamesJillian's includes many different games

Driving up the West Coast

by BWinters

My Wife and I are driving north from the LA area to Seattle. We are giving ourselves 3 days up and 3 days back and spending a week inbetween. Our time in Seattle if fairly booked but we need opinions and thughts on the best way to drive both ways. We are interested in quick sites to visit as well as nice places to stay on the way up and back. Please include interesting places to eat and stay. We are open to all suggestions.
Thanks in Advance
Bob

by davidmg

If you'll be driving up I-5, then I suggest a night in Ashland, Oregon. It is a beautiful town and very charming. Then maybe a detour to see Crater Lake, spending the night in either Eugene or Portland. Again, if you are on I-5, there is not much to see between the Grapevine and Redding. If you come up the coast, the Redwoods in Northern California are a wonderful sight, continuing up the scenic Oregon Coast.

Just a few thoughts . . . .

by lostsooner55

Just to the north of San Francisco, you might wish to visit the Muir Woods: (www.nps.gov/muwo), and the Point Reyes National Seashore: (www.nps.gov/pore). For lodging in the Point Reyes area: (www.ptreyes.com). A bit further north, in San Rafael, which is just off Highway 101, the Panama Hotel might also be interesting for an overnight stay. It's small, and quiet. They have a very good on-site restaurant as well. Gary

by lostsooner55

You also could take a look at the Carter House Inns, located in Eureka, California. Gary

by DueSer

The Columbia River area at the Oregon/Washington border is just a short little looped detour off of I-5 and it is gorgeous with multiple waterfalls and fantastic scenery.

by BWinters

Thanks to everyone for writing. Any ideas on how many days I should allow for tis trip??
Thanks,
Bob

by Marianne2

I think you are perhaps a little short on having only 3 days to drive LA-Seattle. As a Seattle resident, when we drive to San Francisco, for example, it takes us two full days of driving (overnight half-way in Eugene, OR). That is on I-5, without seeing much of anything except major highways. I'd suggest adding at least an extra day coming up to Seattle. Both the northern California and Oregon coasts are spectacular, but slow driving around all the curvy coastal roads. Then, you could cut over to the Washington side (I-5) with a side-trip to see either Mt. Rainier or Mt. St. Helens before continuing to Seattle. Good luck in your planning!

Comments