Holiday Inn Express City Center

Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 53% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Comfortable Room/Location but Dishonest, Unscrupul

The room was good for the price and clean/quiet. The location was also convenient. However, a few employees of the Holiday Inn Express front desk staff /”managers” were extremely misleading when I questioned them about transportation options to return to the Seattle Airport for our return flight home. My partner and I rode the public transit Link Light rail when we arrived in Seattle to get to our hotel at the HI Express Seattle Center for $5.00 total (40 min. ride) and easily took a free 5 minute bus ride from the train station to the hotel. Therefore, we wanted to do the same exact thing upon our return to the airport to fly back home since it was straightforward and very economical. Why waste money taking a shuttle or taxi for $35-40 each way? On Saturday 9/11/10 night I asked the front desk what bus my partner and I needed to take to get to the Link Light Rail station in Westlake Center that goes to the airport and that our flight left at 10:15AM. The front desk “informed” me that the Link Rail train did not start running until 9AM and we would have to take the Town Car service for $35 to get to the airport. The employee then stated HI Express has a relationship with the Town Car/Shuttle company and would book the ride for us for $35. I grudgingly agreed since they emphatically advised me that I had no other lower cost options to get to the airport in time. Since the Link Rail Train didn’t begin until 9AM on Sundays. I informed my partner about what the front desk told me and we both concluded it was nonsensical for a public transport train to start that late (9AM) since numerous travelers and Seattle residents need to take the train early. I checked the Link Rail website on my on at discovered the train begins at 6:20AM on Sundays! I also called the 24 hour transportation hotline and they confirmed the train begins running at 6:20AM and they also gave me directions to the 2 minute walk behind the hotel where we could catch the bus that would easily take us directly to the train station. I truly believe the hotel makes money off booking Town Car/Shuttle services to the airport and purposefully deceives tourists into paying the $35 each way instead of advising cost effective and easy ways to get to the airport. My partner and I were extremely upset and wanted to voice our complaint to the hotel manager. I called twice from the room to try to speak to a manager and was put on hold for extended periods and had to hang up both times in order to have enough time to begin our transit back to the airport. On the 3rd call from our room I was told a manager would call back quickly, we waited an hour an never heard back. There was also no manager present at the front desk. I also called the HI Express when I returned home and was put on hold again and unable to speak to a manager. I would not stay at Holiday Inn Express again.

Unique Quality: Free breakfast

More about Holiday Inn Express City Center

Amazing View and Perfect Location!!!

by TripAdvisor Member JenPerna

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Seattle Center last week during my spring break. I loved this hotel so much!!!!!! My room had a perfect view of the Space Needle, which was exciting. I could easily walk the 3 blocks to Seattle Center (where the Space Needle and many other cool attractions are located) or it was a little longer walk (20 minutes or so) to the Waterfront area's shopping and restaurants and Pike Place Market. I never had to use my car!! The staff is warm and friendly, and helped me on several occasions to arrange tours and pickups. The breakfast is wonderful (including warm cinnamon rolls) and served in a beautiful room just used for breakfast. My room was large and comfortable, and quiet despite facing the busy freeway. For being in such a central location, the rate (under $100) was also great!! There were 2 computer stations in the lobby for free Internet use, and a small gift shop in the lobby stocked with small items and souvenirs. I loved the Holiday Inn Express Seattle Center!!

On the downside--the underground parking was a bit scary with tiny parking spots. My advice is to try to grab one of the above ground spots along the front of the hotel. I grabbed one of those, then didn't have to move my car the entire time! Also, it can be hard to exit the hotel by car because of all the one way streets and the freeway in front, so just be cautious when exiting.

Ah'll be baaack (in fact I did go back)

by TripAdvisor Member Texas_JohnNY_Number1

For me to return to a hotel a year later means it's all good.
In Oct. 2004 I stayed three enjoyable nights here, just like I did in Aug. 2003.

Nice, clean rooms, some with great views. I wasn't sleepless when woke up in my king-size bed looking right at the Space Needle.
The continental breakfast gets 4.5 out of 5 stars. Lotsa variety. Nice display. Regular replenishment. Fresh stuff. Try the tasty hot cinnamon roles -- I really didn't think I could fit three in my mouth at once...

A block away in front of a local TV station is the downtown-bound bus stop. The returning bus stop is just across the street from the hotel. That's convenient. It's a 10-15 minute walk to the Space Needle from the hotel.

Staff at the hotel is courteous, from first floor on up. They knew how to answer a question in English and provided what I needed.

C'mon, you ask, I know it wasn't all perfect, Texas Johnny -- you're a known complainer. OK OK, the elevator is slow to arrive and slow to ascend/descend. The in-room AC unit thermostat isn't digital.

Value is important. I want all the above at a decent price. That way I have money left over to eat at Ivor's Acres of Clams and other fine restaurants, and pick up some souvenirs for the twins (the daughters are not really twins but it bugs 'em to call 'em that).

This hotel gives bang for the buck. For the time I spent in my room and eating breakfast, it's sweet in Seattle.

-If you like this review check out mine for HoJo South Padre Island-

Excellent Value

by TripAdvisor Member maryk1968

Well worth the price!!! The room was a genuine suite with two bathrooms! and the sink and mirror were outside!!! Super continental breakfast, lots of choices and fresh fruit!!! Coffee avialable at the lobby when you came in after walking from downtown.
THe only downside is the major arterial running outside that you must go around to cross and our weather was a little crummy. Other than that it was all that it claimed to be!!
We will be back!!

Good Quality Hotel for the Price

I stayed here prior to a cruise May 14-17, the hotel is going through quite a bit of contruction, they are updating their lobby and also rooms. I was lucky enough to get a room that was just upgraded and totally redecorated. The rooms are a very good size, the hotel staff couldn't have been any more helpful, they were great. This hotel has a great continental breakfast downstairs in one of their rooms. Coffee, cereal, cinnamon buns, waffles, etc. The Holiday Inn Hotel is right next door and has a great restaurant. Space Needle was within walking distance as was downtown. This hotel is right off the highway, our room was in the back facing the Holiday Inn, if you get a room on the highway side I would presume this could be very noisy as this is a major highway. Got this room for $60 on Priceline, great deal, great hotel! Walked downtown to Budget, about a 10 minute walk and rented a car for two days, never was charged for parking overnight. They have parking on the outside of the hotel and also underneath which I did not see. All in all I would definitely stay here again.

Good location

by TripAdvisor Member Clive1

The Holiday Inn Express is about a 5 minute walk from the Space Needle and the Monorail which goes into the commercial centre. The hotel was comfortable and clean, and had a heated indoor pool and small gym. The staff were helpful and everything was done well.

Great location, good quality

by TripAdvisor Member MrSnarkyPants

This hotel is within walking distance of Seattle Center, the Space Needle, and the Experience Music Project. Rooms are well furnished and comfortable. They're remodeling as I write this; the room I am in hasn't been done yet (the new decor scheme is posted in the lobby) but everything is in good order. The high speed internet access is free - bring your own ethernet cable. WiFi is not available. Lower floors on the side facing the Space Needle get a lot of road noise from Highway 99, but the other side of the hotel faces directly into the Holiday Inn on Dexter Avenue (there's a narrow alleyway that separates the two hotels) so ask for a room with a view and crank up the AC unit's fan to drown out the road noise. I'd stay here again.

#1 Spot for location to anywhere on foot for attractions!

This is one of the best hotels out there today, I would suggest this place to anyone that can afford it. We stayed in the mini suite room, which was for our 4 years anniversary and it was all it was expected to be. The only thing that I was mad about for paying $208.00 for the room was that it did not come with any robes, which I thought it did, but o well, the view we had from room 440 made up for it, we got a picture window of the space needle which was beautiful at night. This hotel come with everything. Two free internet acsses computer in the lobby and you can print anything you want without a charge. They have a roller rack so you do have to lug around your crap up and down the elevators too. The breakfest was awesome too, there was everything, waffles, baggles, bannans, cinnimon rolls, toast, cearl, fresh orange juice, fresh apple juice, and with it all to boot, it was set up in a very nice eatery! The pool was awesome too. The room was pretty clean to par, fresh nice big fluffy towels in the rooms. Also free parking in the garage was good didnt have to keep looking out at my new 2005 camery, I knew that it was nice and safe in the parking garage. All in all the hotel is ok, I rate it above average!

Great Hotel for Visiting Downtown Seattle

I was very surprised by the Holiday Inn Express in Seattle. I wasn't expecting much and planned the trip at the last minute. The main purpose of the trip was to see a couple of Mariner games and see the Seattle Underground, Space Needle, and Pioneer Square. If you are visiting downtown area attractions and don't mind walking a few blocks to catch the free (till 7pm) Metro bus service then the Holiday Inn Express is worth the money. In return you get a clean hotel in a safe area. My wife and I had no problem walking from Safeco Field to the hotel after 10pm as the streets are well lit. The walk takes about 30 minutes or you can easily catch a bus on 1st avenue. I didn't have any problems with the accomodation but be prepared to wait for the elevator as it was a bit on the slow side. For the asking price ($124 per night) you get a very good deal. The front desk will also arrange a town car for your trip to the airport (costs about the same as a cab ride but provides more space for luggage).

Comments