Hosteling International--Seattle

84 Union St., , Seattle, Washington State 98101

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

excellent clean hostel with fantastic breakfast.

the HI hostel in seattle is very nice and clean and run by friendly staff.
    it's located right in the center of town only half a block from the sea.
    the rooms are nice and clean and the breakfast is huge and healthy.
    when i was there the staff usually left whatever was leftover at breakfast for people to grab as lunch packets, so you can save a few bucks on your lunch too.

Unique Quality: clean and very well run.

Directions: smack in the center of seattle.

• Phalaenopsis03's Profile Photo

...

I stayed at this hostel for several nights and was thoroughly satisfied with my accommodations. Being that I was on a budget (I paid $35 a night) and only needed a room for sleeping in, HI Seattle was perfect! The location was fantastic; the staff were friendly and helpful; the rooms were clean and safe; the free daily continental breakfasts were filling; and the hostellers they attracted were cool people. There's also in-room lockers, internet access available ($1.00 for 12 minutes), a library, a TV room, and a laundry facility on the premises. The hostel also offers activities you can sign up for at the front desk. The week I was there, I took advantage of catching an improv show at the local theater, a minute up from the hostel. Tickets are normally $10 or $12, but the hostel hooked us up for free. Sweet! And the show was awesome!

I highly recommend HI Seattle!

From Sea-Tac airport I took public transportation and had an easy time. Take 194 (express bus vs. 174, non-express) from Bay 2 of the airport. Get off on 4th Ave. and University in downtown. Walk three blocks west 'til you hit 1st Ave. and Union St. where you'll look for some steps going down. Take them 'til you hit the hostel. It's basically on the corner of Post Alley and Union St.

Unique Quality: Location, location, location! This hostel is only a three minute walk from Pike Place Market, 15 minutes by foot to Pioneer Square, and even walkable to the Seattle Center. I think it took me approximately 45 minutes to get to the Space Needle (I felt like exploring the city on foot). Another fabulous perk is the great breakfast spread they provide for free between 8am and 9am. Just make sure you're up before 8:30am or you'll lose out on the o.j. and granola cereal, which seemed to be the first to go every day. Oh yeah, the only bad thing about this place is that the room can get hot in the summer, so you'd probably want to keep your windows open all day and night.

Directions: On Union St. between 1st Ave. and Western Ave. closest to Post Alley. May be difficult to find, but look for steps on 1st Ave and go down them.

• Fewf's Profile Photo

HI Seattle

We had a slight bit of trouble finding it (but only a slight bit). The staff were nice (though not outright sociable), and there were so many different kinds of people staying there that I don't think anybody could have gone through a day there without finding someone to talk to. They offer a very nice complimentary breakfast, at which you really have a chance to meet some of the other (and very interesting) people staying there. I wasn't convinced, however, that nobody would steal anything, so I bought a lock for $4.00 (they sell them at the front desk) and put it on my locker (the locker itself--without a lock--is complimentary). Got to keep the lock afterwards.

Unique Quality: Right in the middle of town, though in a bit of an odd place.

Directions: Coming from the water, upstairs to Western Ave. Coming from the east, downstairs to Western Ave.

• Where to Stay

I prefer to stay in a Bed and Breakfast or hostel. Large commercial hotels are so impersonal, really. There's no better vibe than a hostel or B&B. If you can get past the societal norms and brainwashing, you'll find peace and tranquility. Just a great way to meet people from all over !

They play a movie a few nights a week, they have online access, and serve breakfast in the morning. Not a rinky dink one either. I've seen 'continental' by it's simplest description to be called a "continental brakfast" ie. Coffee, fruit bar, and honestly, I think that was it. It's definately worth the money you pay to stay there.

Again, good vibes!

Directions: South of Pikes Street Market off of 2nd and Union

84 Union Street
    Seattle, WA 98101

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

Youth Hostel

Hosteling International Seattle was the second hostel I had ever stayed in. The first was in Quebec City. Prior to departure I was unsure based on reviews but when I got to the hostel it was in a perfect location right downtown. Just one minute away from the Pike Place Market and just one minute away from the waterfront.

It was on Union Street but not really visable from 1st Avenue. You had to go down some stairs in an alley to get to the main entrance. Inside the hostel was nice, I had a private room with a bunk bed for $49 USD a night with no bathroom. I used a shared area down the hall for showers.

Another interesting feature of this hostel was the free continental breakfast each morning at 8 am. I was super impressed by the high speed wireless internet that allowed me to play around with VT in the night time where there was no television in the rooms obviously.

Another interesting feature you may not appreciate was the first two nights there was a group of local thugs rap singing outside my window. I started to enjoy it later on night one but I've saved more on this for a warning and danger tip.

Overall I thought this hostel was a steal and I would stay here again no questions asked.

• nichole_521's Profile Photo

Hostel

I stayed at this hostel downtown in Seattle and loved it! This hostel was very clean, quite and created a great atmosphere for out-of-towners. Breakfast is served daily and it was wonderful! They offered fresh fruit, muffins, toast, English muffins, cereal, oatmeal, milk, juice and other delicious entrées! The staff offers great tips and tours. In the evenings movies are shown. There is a great lounge with games, magazines, computers and an opportunity to meet new people from all over the world. This hostel caters to everyone. There were families, groups and people ranging from 18-60 years of age. There is 24-hour check in and is secure. The price was great. I paid 20 USD per night. When I travel I prefer to spend less on my accommodations and more on activities and great eats! If you have never tried ‘hostelling’ I suggest you give it a whirl!

Unique Quality: - Located downtown
    - Offers great breakfast
    - Internet
    - Clean , safe and inexpensive

Directions: HI is located down town minutes from Pike's market, the waterfront and other great attractions.

• KatyaB's Profile Photo

A fine place to stay

As for location, this hostel was very central and within close walking distances to most of the interesting attractions in Seattle.

As for the actual hostel I thought it was an okay place to stay. It had all the necessary facilities and was clean but the rooms seemed pretty dark to me. Overall, for me personally, it didn't really have a unique character to it and did not leave a great lasting impression.

Because this is only one of two hostels in Seattle it is a fine place to stay for the student budget but I would only stay again if the Green Tortoise Hostel was full

Unique Quality: Free breakfast

• lareina's Profile Photo

Cheap Downtown Digs!

HI Seattle has a fantastic location in downtown Seattle and best of all, it is cheap! We stayed in a 4-bed dorm room for about $20/each. Our room had electronic locks, personal lockers, and was close to the bathrooms, the TV room, and the breakfast/common room. A substantial breakfast (included) was served every morning and we were able to meet some great people there. The staff was great with the exception of the guy who checked us in. Also, we came by car and used the hostel's lot for $7/day...dirt cheap by Seattle standards. The hostel is open 24hrs.

Directions: They have great directions on their website.

• karen75's Profile Photo

HI Seattle - great place !!

Stayed one night at this hostel and was very impressed with the place. It's in an amazing location - right beside Pike Place Market, and it overlooks the Seattle Waterfront. It's within walking distance to the Seattle Art Museum, Seattle Aquarium, the Waterfront, etc. We had a great view of the water from our dorm room and met a ton of cool people who were also staying at the hostel.

Directions: next door to the Pike Place Market....

Comments