3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

620 Stewart Street, Seattle, Washington, 98101, United States

Orbitz.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Costs 66% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• gilescorey's Profile Photo

Staying at a hip hotel...with reservations

Arriving late into Seattle, I decided not to show up on the doorstep of my friend's pad post-Letterman and instead decided to treat myself to a flashy stay on my first night in The Emerald City.

Sleek Lobby. Friendly front desk. Late night happy hour, downstairs. Eclectic flourishes in common spaces. Stylish corner room.

Drop luggage and leave the convenient location for some dinner in adjacent Capitol Hill.

At 2AM, long day done, I drop into the comfy bed.

At 8AM, the alarm clock goes off. Scared the Bejesus out of me, as I never set an alarm. I scramble, frantically trying to mute the damn thing and finally resort to pulling the cord from the wall. I roll back over, pulling my eyemask to the bridge of my nose. And, then I hear them.

The room next door. I had heard them the night before but figured they'd eventually conk out. No. Apparently, the goombahs had 24hr. ESPN, and a 36 pack of Schlitz. 8AM and they're still fervently cheering on their respective teams.

So, though I tried, I was up. Earplugs and eyemask were no match for the din. A full day travelling, six hours sleep...all for $259. Plus tax.

Unique Quality: Contrary to how I may appear on VT, I'm extraordinarily polite, in person. So, upon checkout, when asked about my stay, I politely mention the alarm clock and the thin wall. The clerk apologizes that the maid service overlooked the alarm, but assures me nobody has complained about noise or thin walls in my room, before.

Hmmm. I wear earplugs in bed, and could make out beer babble, so I find this difficult to believe.

This is an old building and clearly the space of my room was cut from larger one. I get that. But, you can hire a designer, invest in Ikea-esque furnishings, print your literature in fun font, but you still need to remember you're a "hotel". Where people "sleep". Or, expect to. If you can't guarantee that, then try to make some amends at checkout. Go beyond an "apology".

The attendant did promise to pass my concerns on to a manager. But, I've never received a letter, nor phone call. I may never be in Seattle again, but the offer of a future discount could make me happy, nevertheless. Yes? And, cost Max nada.

This Hotel is clearly marketed to my age and income, but I'm not buying it. Max may be "hip" but no follow up to an unhappy customer...well that just ain't "cool".

Directions: Between Westlake and 7th

• heryanta's Profile Photo

A charming artsy hotel in downtown Seattle

Hotel Max is a charming boutique hotel in downtown Seattle. The theme of this hotel is clearly Art (each room door is plastered with photos of Cobain, Lennon and other artists; and original painting in each room).

The room is small. The one I stayed in with queen bed can't be larger than 220 sqft. No bath and the I couldn't sit on the toilet without my knee banging against the sink.
    What it lacks in size it tries to compensates in amenities. The wide screen flat panel HDTV is great and very generous in channel selection. Wireless internet is available for a sensible price ($10 / day or $35 for 4 days) in all the rooms. The bed is very comfortable and for a hotel that tries to be hip, they surely haven't forgotten about the pillow menu.

However, the best feature about this hotel is simply it's location. It is 3 minutes walk to the Pacific Palace Mall & Nordstrom and 5 minutes to Macy's. Pike Market is 15 minutes on foot and I made it to Space Needle in about 25 minutes on foot.

Overall, this hotel offers a very good value for money - ideal when you are travelling alone or with your partner - just don't try to pack 2 adults and a child / baby - you will practically be sleeping on top of each other.

Unique Quality: Fantastic location - right at the heart of downtown Seattle and only 3 minutes on foot from Pacific Palace/Nordstrom.

Directions: Corner of Stewart and 7th Avenue

• Great Downtown Hotel!

My husband and I were looking for some time away from home and heard about hotel Max through a friend so we decided to check it out. We were very pleased with our experience. The artwork throughout the hotel is fabulous and I really enjoyed how unique the hotel design is with each floor being a different music theme.

The beds are dreamy. Both my husband and I had a great night's sleep. I usually do not sleep well away from home. While the room was on the small size, it didn't bother us at all as we were only there to sleep and relax after spending the day checking out the waterfront and other tourist type things in Seattle. It's been several years since we've been there.

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

We had a very good dinner at the restaurant, Red Fin, there in the hotel.

Overall, fantastic experience and I'll definitely be recommending it to my friends and family.

Unique Quality: Friendly and helpful staff
    Beds are outstanding!
    Loved the art

• elmasri's Profile Photo

Arty...

Right downtown, near the Westin, the Jazz Alley and within walking distance of the Public Market.

Unique Quality: Very modern and arty decoration.

More about Hotel Max

I had a difficult time deciding where to stay in Seattle... I was in town for a convention... I decided to stay in a King room... My room was the perfect size... yes i will admit that i saw the smaller rooms and they are very small... but the king room is perfect... the staff was great especially the red fin staff... (Rob and Sara) they were both excellent... i would recommend this to anyone who wants a hotel downtown that wants a 'little different' experience... thank you Hotel Max.... if im in seattle again i will stay with you...

Chic but lacked substance

by TripAdvisor Member ac16

If you're only in Seattle for a few days and need a funky place to crash, then Hotel Max is great. It's walking distance to downtown shopping and it's just off the highway if you're driving into the city. Funky decor, although I was expecting more art in my room - there was only 1 painting. Wireless internet access is ridiculously expensive, as is parking ($22/day)! Red Fin was delicious but expensive. The rooms and hotel itself are small... My knees would brush the sink when i sat on the toilet... and I'm only 5'4" and not overweight! But if you don't mind that a hotel w/ a pretty face and no luxuries, this is a good one for you.

Small rooms, awesome interiors

by TripAdvisor Member Kris_K_D

We chose to stay at the Hotel Max because of its convenient downtown location and for its unique interior. I'm not usually fond of modern design, but I thought the hotel's decor was hip and fun. We spent time exploring the hallways of the different floors; the doors make each hall a gallery of sorts!

The cool decor continued into the room, which contained a flat-panel television, mini-fridge, an awesome bathroom (industrial chrome sink, aqua blue glass shower tiles), and came with Aveda products, a Pillow Menu, and a Spiritual Menu (request any religious reading material -- not just the standard Bible).

The only down side was the size of the room -- fatties beware. We booked and received a "Queen of Art" room on the second floor (211). The only true access to the queen-size bed was from the right side or at the foot of the bed -- the left side was almost entirely blocked by a pillar. (I'm thin and petite -- and even I had to squeeze by.) Additionally, there was street/crowd noise in the wee hours of the morning. This is to be expected in a city -- especially one floor above Stewart Street -- so, if that's a concern be sure to book a room on a higher floor.

Last, but not least, the staff were all friendly and we found we were often engaged in light conversation with all the employees we encountered. They seemed to be genuinely interested in how our stay was, what we were in town to see/do, and how we liked the hotel.

We would gladly return to the Hotel Max.

BIG DISAPPONTMENT

This hotel may have had a facelift, added some flat panel televisions and used excellent products such as Aveda, however, it lacked space, attentive and informative employees and customer service.
I was looking for a nice, better-than-average hotel to stay in on Valentine's night. When I found the Hotel Max website, I liked the modern feel and the fact that it was different. It was fairly easy to book online, however as I will later complain, nothing was mentioned as to 'extra' charges.

I parked in the garage and took the back entrance. There were no signs to indicate a 'valet' entrance, When I arrived at the counter, the desk person called for the valet and we handled it from there. At no time was there any information regarding the valet service, parking or any charges to take place.

When I arrived at my room, I was not thrilled with the space in the room. Or should I say, lack thereof. Good thing I an not claustrophobic!

Bottom line, I was disappointed to begin with, but when I checked out the next day, I was livid. There was a charge for $44.00 on my bill for PARKING. I had a guest and assumed they would be able to park with the valet as well. Again, no one mentioned, that there would be a $22.00 charge for parking. Not to mention the $6.00 charge for two minute packages of snacks!

I have stayed in some 5-star hotels. The do not charge 'hidden' fees. They are up front with their charges and it is expected when guests check out.

I am a local. I have a business here. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

Most Fun I've Ever Had On A Business Trip

This is a boutique hotel in downtown Seattle. Recently redone and very artsie. Each room had luxury bedding, soaps, pillows and flat screen Dell LCD TVs with Cable/HBO, etc.

Cordless phones, Wi-Fi that works (Extra charge) and a great restaurant. I found the room small but comfortable. The bathroom was really small, but for a single person or business traveler, this shouldn't be a problem.

Parking is $22 a night valet. You can save $7 a night by parking 50 feet away across the street in an open lot.

At $113 a night I was blown away by the quality of the hotel. The staff was above average and despite being right across from the elevator, I got two great nights sleep!

I'd stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat and wish that more of my recent hotel experiences were this positive.

Comments