Inn at Harbor Steps

1221 First Ave., Seattle, Washington, 98101, United States

More about Inn at Harbor Steps

Awesome Awesome Awesome!!!

by TripAdvisor Member smonion

I loved this place so much I'm already making plans to come back (and I live in Seattle)! I would love to come back for a birthday and I tried to convince a friend of mine to take his fiancée there for a romantic getaway. Did I mention that I just got back from the Inn at Harbor Steps this morning? I have been doing a kind of independent tour of Seattle Hotels on my own. Mainly in search of a good bathtub (either for one or two). This is the best I've found and it has by far the best bath tub. What a wonderful place to escape!

I had reserved a package deal that included champagne, tickets to the SAM or the Space Needle, a cookbook from the Inn and a box of truffles. We were in a king room with a jacuzzi tub for four nights. The room was very comfortable, really nice bed (both of us slept extremely well), cute table and chairs, 2 European balconies, desk, more chairs, fireplace, gigantic bathroom with the biggest bath tub I've ever seen and a separate shower. A cute black bear on the bed. A tv and an actual DVD player. That's so nice because If you live in town you can bring your own movies and if you're doing the tourist thing you can always watch anything you might purchase. They may actually have movies you can borrow, I didn't need any but I do know that they have a nice library.

I didn't take advantage of the wine/tea and hors d'oeuvres served in the library though. I'm just not very social and my boyfriend and I wanted to keep to ourselves. We did appreciate that there was always coffee available in the lobby and enjoyed the complimentary sodas and waters in the minifridge. Seriously, I wish every hotel would do that, it's just so classy. It's a serious irritant when a fancy hotel chain nickel and dimes you for every single thing. Thank God the Four Sisters Inns doesn't do that.
Breakfast was okay, (really great potatoes) but not up to 'bed and breakfast' standards in my opinion, I didn't really care though, it seems much more like a hotel with free breakfast than a bed and breakfast to me, and that's really what I wanted. I did appreciate that I could have the breakfast delivered to my room or could grab a tray and bring it to my room myself. One thing that would really improve the breakfast is to add at least one meat selection, just one, we're not all vegetarians and three varieties of eggs can get a little old. (If you do have your breakfast delivered you can order champagne. I advise you to be very specific on what you may want. For instance their Irish oatmeal was delicious but we really could have used more sugar and butter. Also the scrambled eggs came automatically with salsa, which was fine with me but not with my partner.)

Room service should be added, (at least for dinner). There are tons of restaurants in the area, surely at least one could be contracted with to provide a decent room service meal. I realize that a lot of people staying here are tourists but tourists get tired too and sometimes like to relax and have supper in their room. We did try the Seattle dining guide delivery service and ended up paying $95.00 for the grossest meal I've ever had, from the Ram restaurant, it was truly awful.

There were two pools, one is decent size and about 3 an a 1/2 feet deep. It has a skylight and would probaly be a lovely place to swim at night. The other one is located in the gym (which seemed well equipped), it's a 4 foot deep pool with a button on the wall that adds a current, what fun! It's quite a workout too, it's a small pool, really only suitable for one or two people but we were the only people I ever saw using it. The other pool did have a bunch of small children in it, maybe from the adjoining apartments. They weren't chaperoned though and I didn't think that was very smart of their parents. It also put me in a 'feeling responsible' mood that I wasn't thrilled with. There are two hot-tubs, one for each pool.

Mostly the staff was friendly, especially the pleasant breakfast guy and the person working overnight front desk. Ice is only available till 11 (the ice-machine is in the library which is locked after 11) but the front desk person cheerfully got us a bucket after hours. The housekeeping was very thorough, almost too clean for my standards, they kept checking to see if I was sure that I didn't want my room cleaned even when I had the 'do not disturb' sign up. They were very sweet though and even found a dress I left at the hotel. Within 2 hours of me being home, (before I even noticed the dress wasn't with me) I received a call saying that housekeeping had found it and they were more than happy to mail it to me. What a relief, I really would have been sad to lose it as it was brand new. (What great service! Most hotels aren't that nice when you lose things.)

Any quibble I had with the Inn at Harbor Steps was strictly minor. Advice on turning something great into something perfect. I will not hesitate to suggest it to anyone I know and really look forward to going back myself.
I did notice that most everyone staying there seemed to be seniors, but I like seniors so that didn't bother me. My boyfriend and I are in our early thirties and we felt comfortable.

In-city, the best!

by TripAdvisor Member jafb

We are from Mass. and stayed here because it is nr. our daughter's condo downtown. We loved the location, close to the Pike Mkt. Our room was beautiful and included a fireplace! Breakfast included hot and cold foods. We were encouraged to take some back to our room for our early departure the next AM. Everyone very hospitable and more than helpful. We would return in a minute!

The best hotel ever

by TripAdvisor Member Nell55

This was our second stay at this hotel and I can truthfully say that this is the only hotel where I wouldn't mind spending more time in the hotel itself. It's that comfortable! The afternoon wine and tea is a treat, service is excellent, and the location is great. We'd come back in a heartbeat.

Wonderful breakfast! Great hotel!

We checked in before our Alaska cruise (11 of us) and the staff was so helpful and stored our many suitcases in a side closet until our rooms were ready. The young man that helped us was very accommodating (can't remember his name now). He recommended a wonderful place to eat that was within walking distance. The rooms were large and very comfortable! The best thing for our teenagers was free use of two computers in the foyer to check their e-mail. The breakfast was superb with wonderful baked egg dishes that were so great I bought the Four Sisters Inn cookbook to try them at home! They had great relaxing music playing during breakfast and it was a totally enjoyable stay! I found out about this hotel through TripAdvisor and had cancelled my reservation at Inn at the Market which was much more pricey and did not include breakfast. I am so glad I did!

Good not Great

We stayed at the Inn recently. We found the staff to be very helpful and courteous, with the exception of the people serving breakfast. We had read that we could make a tray to bring back to our room and they were not very helpful with getting us a tray or explaining what was being offered for breakfast. Additionally, we were not that impressed with the quailty of the breakfast. Every Inn/B&B I have stayed at served an excellent meal. This place looked more like a typical hotel continental breakfast. Food was good, but not great and I never touched the eggs that had been sitting out on a warming platter for who knows how long. The "afternoon tea" was the same, it was okay. We only went for one day of the three days we stayed there. I just expected better based on what I had read about the place on this site.

Impressed!

by TripAdvisor Member melinnyc

We had a great experience at the Inn at Harbor Steps. The rooms were beautiful, spacious and comfortable and the staff was professional and helpful. Loved the location on First -- in the middle of a lively area and a short walk to the water and to Pike Place Market. Breakfast was included and lovely too!

Wonderful in every way!

by TripAdvisor Member kglavin

Transferred from another hotel where the room was very small, no breakfast and same rate. Loved the spacious room, jacuzzi tub, small bar and refrigerator(great for bringing snacks back from nearby Pike's Market).
Staff very accomodating, asked for a special request and it was fulfilled within the hour. Computers in lobby to use for free.
Location is perfect for the market, Pioneer Square, waterfront, museum (across the street), library, uptown shopping and wonderful restaurants.
Easy to walk to everything, even though the buses are free.
Wonderful breakfast, homemade muffin and breads, eggs, etc. Could have improved on the fresh fruit, considering Pike's Mkt is next door and a latte would have been nice. Afternoon tea was also a treat at the end of a day sightseeing.
We did a lot of research of hotels before arriving, since we had never been to Seattle, and were very pleased with this one for our six night stay - like living in a studio apt. Would definitely go back in a heartbeat!

Nice enough for a day or two

by TripAdvisor Member DMNWA

We spent a night here in June. It isn't your standard B&B. It is basically a couple floors of hotel rooms in an apartment building. The location is good - in walking distance of the Seattle Art Museum, waterfront, and Pike Place Market. The rooms are large and have refrigerators and microwaves. The front desk staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. The parking garage is really cramped so be careful when parking. The area of town isn't the safest, but downtown Seattle tends to be relatively safe anyway. Breakfast was okay, but nothing to write home about. If you are traveling on business, it is a great option. If you haven't been to Seattle before, I'd suggest someplace in the middle of downtown or on the waterfront instead because those tend to be nicer. Over all, for the price, it is a good value.

best place to stay in Seattle

We stayed at the inn from 9/18 through the 21st and we just loved everything about it. The staff was friendly, courteous and very helpful - always answering all of our tourist questions about Seattle and offered to help with reservations, maps and dining recommendations. The room was really spacious; two queen beds in a very large room with a lot of room to move around. The breakfasts were always hot, plentiful and good; different items for each of the three mornings we were there. The location was great; just two blocks from Pike's Market, a few blocks to Pioneer Square and less than a 5 minute walk to the waterfront. I can't recommend the inn enough and I would definitely stay here again the next time I'm in Seattle.

Great location, ammenities

by TripAdvisor Member MarissaNH

I picked this inn because we had stayed at other 4 sisters inns in California and loved them. This isn't really much of an inn, more of a hotel. It is basically the bottom two floors of an apartment complex. The location is perfect, we walked all over from there. It is a very nice area of the city. The staff was very friendly and helpful, even the apartment staff! There are computers that guests can use, and a small fitness center, pool and hot tub. There is also a library which is where tea is every afternoon. Breakfast here was also quite good, not your standard continental breakfast. There is also cookies, coffee and tea available most of the day. There was hardly any noise, the rooms face into a courtyard, not the city street. I would highly recommend this hotel!

Comments