La Quinta Seattle Sea-Tac

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Rated 12% higher but also costs 39% more than other 2.5 star hotels

More about Seattle

Olympic Sculpture Park, SeattleOlympic Sculpture Park, Seattle

Interesting view from inside the libraryInteresting view from inside the library

The World Famous Pike Place Fish MarketThe World Famous Pike Place Fish Market

Picnic Tables and Sports at Saint Edwards ParkPicnic Tables and Sports at Saint Edwards Park

Looping through Washington, Oregon, and Cali, Where to start???

by rosethorne7

I am so excited to be planning our vaction for next Spring! We have been a FL/Disney family for the past 5 years and can't wait to see something new! It will be me, my dh, my dd-9, and ds-1. The furthest West we have been was a week in the Denver area in Feb. 09.

We will have 2 weeks. I have been back and forth on how to do this. I need to figure out what is the ceapest airport to fly into. From there we will make a loop, rturning to the same airport and flying home. The main things we want to see are San Francisco (we plan to visit some family), Sooma, Redwoods, Cannon Bch, Portland, Olympic Pen., Victoria BC, and Seattle. It's a lot, I know. But some places will just be a break in the drive, like Sonoma.

I watched a National park special once about Olympic NP and have loved it since. I can't wait!!!!

So, newbie here! Going to be looking for info on EVERYTHING! Hotels, routes, what to pack, must sees, ect...!!!!

Thank you! You VTers look like you know your stuff!

Re: Looping through Washington, Oregon, and Cali, Where to start???

by goodfish

Hi again, Alicia (and I forgot to welcome you to VT!!)

As you've posted in three different forum locations, info is getting a bit spread about here but we'll do our best to concentrate our answers by area. :)

A note about the peninsula: outside of Port Townsend and Port Angeles on the north side, accommodations can be a bit scarce and/or expensive. There are few towns with hotels/motels, and your other alternative will be the lodges within the separate areas of the National Park. While some of those are placed in gorgeous areas (like Lake Crescent Lodge and Kalaloch), they can be pricey. Depending on what time you are going in the spring though, you might fall into some nice off-season rates.

Most National Park accommodations are pretty sparse on amenities some folks like to have - meaning no TVs, no free breakfast, far from inexpensive grocery stores and restaurants, etc. You'll want to look at the lodges closely and weigh what is important for you to have for your family's comfort and your budget. There is no right or wrong - it just may be a tradeoff between having more options for inexpensive meals, picnic supplies and whatnot closer, and being located in a beautiful, peaceful, but somewhat remote area.

We found Port Angeles to be a good base for exploring the northern side of the park, and Forks to be nice for doing the rain forest and beaches. Both have some reasonable motels, and are closer in proximity to grocery stores and casual restaurants. I wrote about both motels we stayed in my Port Angeles and Olympic National Park pages. Port Townsend is also lovely and would be good for north side exploration but it would be a bit farther drive every day to/from park areas.

Re: Looping through Washington, Oregon, and Cali, Where to start???

by martine05

Sounds like a GREAT trip! Regarding the Olympic Peninsula, I agree that Port Angeles would be the place to stay. If you make reservations NOW you will have no problem getting a place. The best place to stay in Port Angeles is the Olympic Lodge. There are some other cheaper options but beware - they can be very sleazy! I know this area well because my parents retired there. But do make your reservations NOW!! Let me know if you have any more Port Angeles questions. If I don't know the answer, I'll ask my family!

Travel Tips for Seattle

feel free

by richiecdisc

You gotta love a town that you can see a volcano from and Seattle has Mount Rainier looming in the distance. Actually, it looks closer than it is since it's so big and rises from such a lower plateau. Make sure to get into position if the weather is clear, it's not a sight you want to miss. “The laundry is over here, feel free,” just might be the sweetest words ever muttered to a couple on a six-month tent camping trip. The laundry was right across from “our room” and all of this was in the home of an old friend. Well, if it had been my old friend from childhood it would more expected. But I had met him only once at Munich's Oktoberfest no less and I had to be forgiven for a hazy at best recollection.

No, this was Doreen's friend that she had worked with in Munich and while they had been close at the time, that time was very much in the past. She really didn't know what to expect but we had made plans to stay with him and his wife in their new home in Seattle. He had married an American girl and had since relocated much as my wife had. So, they certainly had lots in common but when you have little contact for a long time, there are no guarantees that the friendships once shared will be the same.

We had been camping our way around the US National Parks for three and a half months. Though we had stayed in the occasional room and one friend had already spotted us a bed, most of those nights were spent in a tent. It had been an amazing experience especially on the occasions we had spent in the vast backcountry that make up the best part of our National Park system. Things had gone like clockwork through Yosemite but after a nice leisurely time in Northern California and Oregon, we were ready to get “back to work.” (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

Seattle Skyline

by annk

A very attractive city with many new skyscrapers and condominium towers. Even more delightful with a partial blue sky when it's not raining. At least half of the buildings must have wonderful views of Puget Sound.

See the Underground City. It's...

by smallone

See the Underground City. It's amazing. Dusty and old but amazing. Back in the early 1900's the city tried to regrade some of the hills and accidentally buried the first floor of most of the buildings downtown. It's a long story but it ends with a tour through the now-unusued underbelly of the city. Learn the history of the regrade and see the first floor... all underground! Ivar's Acres of Clams. Ivar Haglund was a soft-hearted fellow who was quite influental on Seattle in his own way. Check out his original restaurant on Pier... 81, I believe is where it is. Great food and an excellent view of Puget Sound from the windows. Please feed the birds!

Wing Luke Asian History Museum

by yooperprof

Some great and very moving exhibits here about the promise and the perils of immigration to Washington State from various Asian localities. The museum does a great job of balancing accomplishments with bigotry, particularly in regards to the disturbing and traumatic forced relocation of Japanese Americans from the West Coast during World War II.

MAP > Washington State's Viticultural Areas

by MarioPortugal

Curious to see displayed at Seattle's Tacoma Airport a clear Map of Washington State's Viticultural Areas.

Washinton State's Viticultural Areas: