MarQueen Hotel

600 Queen Anne Ave. N., Seattle, Washington, 98109, United States

MarQueen Hotel
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

• Don't Trust Them: Reservations Mean Nothing

I had stayed there many times -- many weeks -- in the past. This week I showed up, and they said they were "overbooked." They kicked me to the curb, in Seattle, in July, when every hotel in the city was booked.
    Don't trust them.
    In addition, their attitude was impersonal and insulting. Even the next day, on the phone, they did not care if I had been refused my reservation. They had their full hotel.
    If you actually need a room, they will obviously give it out to the first people who arrive, with or without a reservation.

Unique Quality: The only outstanding quality of this place is how much they do not care about even their loyal customers.

• 932john's Profile Photo

Old School Ambiance in good neighborhood

Service was great. There's no elevator, but the bellman will take your luggage up if you need him to. They have really nice amenities, but if you want to come out with any money in your bank account, stay away from the provided in-room snacks and beverages. The bathtubs are nice and big. The hardwood floors and oriental rugs give the rooms a more upscale, classy feel.
    The hotel is in the Queen Anne section of town, which is near the Seattle center and away from the hustle bustle of downtown. If you want to get downtown, the Monorail is a 7 minute walk.

Unique Quality: This hotel is very unique in that a) it's old, but in a good way b) the rooms are classy, elegant and huge c) I don't know how to put this any other way except every time we walked down the hall we expected to see the twins from "The Shining." So, there's the thrill of not knowing whether or not it's haunted. There's a view of the space needle from every room, which does not let you forget you're in Seattle. If you want a spectacular Latte and Cappucino, try the adjoining Cafe Lladro or hip Cafe Zingaro one block down Mercer Street.

Directions: Queen Anne district

• Gouging rip off

My wife and I thought this would be a nice charming hotel with a lot of character, but were extremely disappointed when we arrived.

The room was dumpy, noisy and literally had a haze of smoke in it. We could barely even breathe in this room. When we asked downstairs for a different, preferrably non-smoking room, we were told there were none available. While we discussed our options, we watched the clerk actually check in three other guests. I asked if they were given non-smoking rooms, and the answer was yes. Apparently we could not have one of those rooms, even though we arrived first, since we booked through Orbitz.

Also, since we booked through Orbitz, they would not discount or refund our charges. Ultimately, we found a different hotel and ended up paying for a room where we could not and did not stay.

This place is a gouging rip off!!! It does not have any 'old world charm' . It is simply an old run-down apartment building with bad plumbing. I wish I would have checked the reviews more carefully before booking.

Unique Quality: Overly rude staff. Dirty, smelly and noisy room.

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

Traditional and Classic

An excellent hotel. A good coffee shop next door and Peso's Taco lounge across the road.

We made good use of the free courtesy bus.

Very friendly staff.

Unique Quality: Within walking distance to the Seattle Center, home of the Space Needle, the Key Arena, the Opera House, and the Seattle Repertory Theater.

Directions: Located in the lower Queen Anne area.

More about MarQueen Hotel

Charming and Great Value at Marqueen

by TripAdvisor Member lmwultimt

Stayed at the Marqueen Aug 15-21. Found the staff to be most accommodating, holding our room for one night when our flight was cancelled and not charging for the night's cancellation. Received the third floor, back of hotel room as requested when booking on their internet site. Rooms are quite large with convenient full kitchen, which came in handy when staying for a week and bringing home goodies from Pike Place Market. Great location for any Seattle Center events, opera, etc. About a 20-25 minute walk to the Market and downtown, which we enjoyed. Coming home uphill was a challenge on some warm days. However, the monorail is a convenient 2 block walk, although we did not use it. The walk up three flights of stairs could also become a chore if not in decent shape. All in all, though, we found it a great value (at 157/night), and we were attending the opera for four nights, so the location couldn't be beat. The coffee shop was wonderful, and we also enjoyed 10 Mercer for both dinner and just appetizers and drinks after the opera. Very clean. Close to transportation. Even offers a car into town, which we didn't use. We rented a car for the last two nights we were there and parked on the street two blocks away to save the valet fee and hassle when we wanted to use the car. Would return for the same price.

One of my favorite hotels in Seattle

by TripAdvisor Member geniph

I stay in Seattle hotels a lot; I live about 30 miles south, and staying in the downtown area hotels is one of my favorite little indulgences for birthdays, anniversaries, and other special occasions. I've stayed at the Marqueen on four separate occasions, and have been very happy with it each time. I've always paid in the range of $130 booking online, and feel that's a reasonable value for this part of town.

There's no elevator, but it's only a few floors, so that's not a big deal to me. The grand staircase is elegant and very impressive. The lobby staff and valets have always been very helpful and polite to me.

In every hotel, I request highest floor possible, quiet room. This has always been accommodated at the Marqueen. Rooms on Queen Anne Avenue can be quite noisy, especially at 2 a.m. when the bars across the street disgorge their patrons. I recommend asking for top floor. The other side of the hotel is quieter, but the Queen Anne side has partial views of Elliott Bay in some rooms.

The rooms are quite wonderful; they're HUGE. I've lived in smaller apartments. They're old and the heating and plumbing is ancient, so don't expect everything to be perfect. The decor is very nicely done with comfortable antiques. The kitchenettes in every room are part of the reason I keep returning: I love having the separate breakfast area, the microwave, refrigerator and sink.

I'm trying to remember if I've ever heard other guests at the Marqueen. I'm very fussy about that; I hate hearing other guests' TVs, conversations in the halls, doors slamming, etc., and I don't think that's ever been an issue here.

There's tons of great places to eat within a block of the hotel. My personal favorite is Pagliacci Pizza, right across the street; it's a habit with me to order a pizza and salads as soon as I check in, then bring them back to enjoy in my room. There's also an excellent grocery store (Larry's Market) within two blocks.

It can take quite awhile for the valets to fetch your car for you, so make sure to call in plenty of time if you're heading to something with a specific start time. They usually only have one or two valets on call. They do guarantee your parking space if you take your car out during your stay (not all downtown hotels do, even with the exorbitant fees).

A good choice

by TripAdvisor Member Chunthebun

The Marqueen is the place to stay if you're going to the Key Arena or other Seattle Center venues, which are a short walk away. The building is a refurbished apartment house, so the rooms are bigger than the usual hotel room, with a full size kitchen and a separate sitting area. Our room was elegantly furnished and the bed was very comfortable. The staff was very cordial and gave us several suggestions that helped us during our trip. There was even a wine-tasting event the night we stayed there.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

1. There is no elevator, but a bellman assisted us with our luggage. Unfortunately, he did not offer to pick me up and carry me up three flights, so I had to remind myself that exercise is good for me. No big deal for me, but it might be for you.
2. There are a coffee bar (ie, not a coffee shop) and a trendy bar next to the hotel, but nothing within the hotel as you might find with the big chains. Again, no big deal. The neighborhood is kinda funky and pleasant, and I did not have to walk far to find good places to eat breakfast and dinner.
3. This hotel is not downtown and not within walking distance to Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square, or the business district, but it is right by the Seattle Center, with the entertainment venues, museums, and Space Needle, and the Monorail, which takes you right downtown in 5 minutes. Other forms of public transportation seemed to be plentiful and convenient.

Enjoy Seattle!

Charming despite old building

My husband just stayed 4 nights at this hotel. We loved the charm and looks of this hotel, and the staff was very nice and accomodating. The location was not bad (near the Space Needle and EMP), but for people who want to walk to places such as Pike Place, it's definitely a good hike. The only real downside to the hotel was the crickety, loud heater, which kept us up many a night, and the very low shower heads (very vintage). We'd likely stay there again, but I'd have to make sure there's a quiter heater.

Strongly recommend finding alternate lodging in Seattle!!

I agree with one of the previous reviews that this place is a gouging rip off!!! I wish I would have checked this board before booking.

Great place for the price

We stayed here Jan. 21, 2005 and had a great time. The valet parking was easy (even with a Sonics game going on nearby and tons of traffic). The lobby is very quaint and old fashioned, but we did have to walk up stairs to the 3rd floor since they don't have an elevator. They were willing to help carry our bag, though, which we declined since the gentleman was much older than my husband. The room was huge as far as Seattle hotels go, with a separate kitchen area, huge walk-in closet and large sleeping area. Our room faced a busy street (Queen Anne Ave.) with night clubs and restaurants, so we knew right away to go buy earplugs at the drugstore up the street. With those in we slept like babies. There is a coffee shop connected to the hotel which served us the best mocha in the world (don't remember the name but it's accessible through the inside of the hotel). We walked a few blocks to the Seattle Center and hopped on the monorail to take us downtown to shop (which is what you should do if you want to explore Pike Place like a previous poster mentioned- the monorail gets you within a 10 minute walk of the waterfront and market).
We had a great time here- we liked the old fashioned charm of the place, it was clean, close to everything in Seattle either by walking or monorail, safe neighborhood, and cheap for us through Hotwire. I wouldn't recommend it for older folks who can't walk very far, because of the stairs and everything in Seattle being best accessed on foot. We'd definitely stay there again though.

You Get A LOT for your $$$$

This hotel is one of the best I've ever stayed in! The rooms are all suites with their own full kitchen. The rooms are very roomy and comfortable. Our room was very clean and the staff were really friendly and accomodating. Bath robes are provided standard in each room, which for us is a little added luxury. The bed was comfortable and there were many cable channels available in our room. Also, each room had internet access for your laptop.

The location was conveniently located within walking distance from the space needle. And surrounded by many small businesses consisting of various restaurants and boutiques, as well as a convenience store around the corner. The bus stops across the street and takes you into downtown and the football and baseball stadiums. We saved on parking by paying $2.50 bus fare and got on and off the bus throughout the day with the same ticket.

The only thing that might be a setback is that there are no great views from the room, if you intend to stay there and look out a window. The place is old in style, somewhat like an old San Francisco apartment, but it is kept in great condition. The hotel charges $15 a night for parking, but you can find free parking off the street after 6pm to avoid paying these charges.

Hotels in downtown Seattle

by c&cexplore

Hello all!

We are looking for a reasonably priced hotel in Seattle for two nights at the start of January. It must be centrally located, as we can't drive and want to see the sights on foot. So far we've came up with Sixth Avenue Inn and the Inn at Queen Anne's; both are within our budget. Do you have any knowledge of these, and/or could you recommend others?

Thanks in advance,
c&cexplore

by madamx

Hi, we might be going to Seattle next May; I don't know if you've seen this website www.city-acommodation.com/hotels/SEA_seattle/hotels.html but I found it really helpful. You can also find hotel reviews on www.tripadvisor.com. Hope you find what you are looking for!

by vichatherly

I stayed at the Marqueen, 600 Queen Anne Avenue

Excellent hotel and they even had had a free shuttle to anywhere downtown.

www.marqueen.com

Have fun

Vic

Re: Re: Hotels in downtown Seattle

by EdinburghRoc

I stayed at the Travel Lodge on 8thA it's only five minutes walk to town & five mins to the Space-Needle.
I walked everywhere, I took the bus to the Air-Museum.
I could reach Pike Market in about 6/8minutes by foot.

by marca

We stayed at the 6th Ave Inn for 4 days last summer without a car. We took the bus from the airport and got dropped off at the Westin accross the street. The hotel is within the free zone for public buses. We walked the few blocks to Pike's Market or the Monorail station. We only had breakfast once in the hotel (it was good) cause I like to try different places. We also walked to the ferry to Victoria but it was kind of a haul with our luggage and all.

I would stay there again if I ever get back to Seattle.
Marc