3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

515 Madison St., Seattle, Washington, 98104, United States

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Renaissance Hotels

Costs 125% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Not Quite What I Was Thinking

[I should preface this by saying that I'm a bit of a hotel snob. It's ok. I can admit it. I've gotten over the denial stage.]

The lobby at the Renaissance Seattle is very nice, sort of Asian comtemporary. The plants are real, which is big plus, and usually a pretty good sign that the hotel will be of pretty good quality. However, the front desk staff was kind of clueless and it took them an eon to get me registered.

Our room was ok. And I mean just that: ok. The sheets on the beds were nice, but the beds themselves were too small. And no mini bar? What the heck? You could see that there once WAS mini bar in the room, but that it had been removed and replaced by some kind of tacky-looking wire mesh cage thing. But why?

Also, and everyone who reads my hotel reviews knows how I hate this: no bathrobes. No bathrobes. Hello? Isn't this the Renaissance Hotel?

Unique Quality: A real plus point was that the hotel had very good food. The breakfast there was great, and the restaurant itself had a nice view. We also got a free newspaper every day, and I HAVE TO read the newspaper when I drink my coffee in the morning, so this was nice.

Directions: About six blocks up from the Sound, near the public library.

• Edith49's Profile Photo

My favorite Seattle hotel

Being a resident, I don't often have an opportunity to stay in Seattle hotels, but when I do, the Renaissance is my hotel of choice. It's a little pricey, but well worth it. Because it sits on 6th Avenue, high above all the other high rises, you get the most beautiful, sweeping views of downtown Seattle, Elliott Bay, and the Olympic Mountains. It is magnificent. And the rooms and the service are just outstanding. I love this place!

Unique Quality: The view is absolutely the best!

Directions: In Downtown Seattle. From I-5 Northbound to Seattle, take exit #164A (Madison St). Turn left on Madison Street, and then go straight ahead one block to the hotel on the corner of 6th & Madison St.

More about Renaissance Seattle Hotel

Classy establishment

by spartan about Maxwell's at the Renaissance Seattle

Classy but nicely priced restaurant especially in a hotel of all places. Try the Grilled Halibut Sandwich (w/lettuce, tomato and tartar sauce on foccacio bread with a side of french fries and cole slaw).

Highly Recommended!! Perfect Stay!

We stayed at the Renaissance Hotel in Seattle for one night (Saturday night) on Jan 8th, 05. We were really apprehensive about the place after reading some of the negative feedback posted on this site, but honestly, after our stay there, its hard to believe that people had such bad experiences there. We just had an all around great experience at the hotel.
Firstly, we were able to score a really good deal on Priceline (only 70 bucks) for the room. When we got there, the guy who checked us in was very courteous. We were asked for our preferences regarding bed type and smoking/non-smoking room. We made it a point to request a non-freeway facing room (based on suggestions posted on this site by some previous visitors to the hotel). All of our requests were accomodated. Although we paid priceline fare, we were given a room on the 19th floor with an absolutely amazing picture postcard view of downtown Seattle. The room was large, very clean, well-maintained and very well furnished. The bathroom was great too...no problems with low water pressure or hot water not being available. The wake-up call we had requested the next morning was timely, and was accompanied by hot chocolate and a newspaper left outside our door.
We checked out the next morning, but since our flight wasn't till later that evening, the hotel let us stash our bags at the hotel so that we didn't have to lug them around while we walked about the area.
Besides the great room and the very courteous service, we can't rave enough about the location - its literally just a couple of blocks away from everything - Pikes Place, the shops, farmers market, the harbour (if you have a car, don't pay the hotels high parking price... there are parking garages just a block down for far cheaper). Don't miss out on visiting the public library, which is just a block away from the hotel - this is one of the most amazing buildings I've been in in quite a while and probably the coolest library ever built.. Fantastic architecture and the interior is unbelievable. Very space age-y and modern (take the elevator to the meeting room floor...you'll be in for a visual surprise. Hard to believe its just a *public library** !!
Also, theres this great fusion restaurant nearby called "Wild Ginger". Fantastic food (definitely get the fresh tuna bruschetta as an appetizer), great atmosphere and very reasonably priced for a nice restaurant. (Make a reservation though)
Well, so all in all, an absolutely great experience at the Renaissance Seattle. We will definitely stay there again the next time we're in Seattle, and highly recommend it.

Checked out early, won't stay here again

The room was dirty when I checked in, food substances on the carpet. It was late at night, so I let it go. When I got back the next evening, no maid service--they don't provide maid service if you stay a week or more. Furnishings are cheap, room is small, simply not worth the price. This is a motel 6 masquerading as something pricier, simply not worth it.

Great deal on Priceline

by TripAdvisor Member drmorf

I booked a room through Priceline for $70 + $16.80 taxes and fees + $19 parking, so a little over $100 a night with parking in downtown Seattle is a fairly good deal.
We had a junior suite on the northwest corner of the hotel, which had a great view. The room was large, but there was no refrigerator, only a minibar. :-(
Overall I thought the hotel was an excellent deal for the price. I would stay here agian.

Don't Pay Full Price!

We stayed two nights at the Renaissance in April 2005. Fortunately for us, we used Marriott points to pay for the room. Had we paid full price, I would have been very upset.

The room was okay..nothing that great. The bathroom was really in need of a makeover--it was probably the height of fashion in 1982, but in 2005, it was just plain ugly. We also found the bed to be really uncomfortable.

The upside:
The hotel staff treated us very well. We had breakfast both mornings in a cafe on the second floor--the food was pretty good and the waitstaff were very attentive and friendly. The lobby of the hotel is pretty attractive (a lot better than the rooms!). We also had a lovely view of the water from our room. Also, the location in downtown Seattle is great.

The verdict:
For $70/night, the price others have quoted on this site, I think this is a decent place to stay. At the rack rate, which was almost $200 the weekend we stayed, I would have been absolutely livid. Marriott really ought to spend some money updating the rooms.

Bad Vibrations

by TripAdvisor Member bobba

The short version is that the air conditioning system of this hotel builds up a harmonic modulating vibration in the ducts coming from the basement. Our first room had the air returns coming through it and the every 2 minute buildup and release of the noise drove us nuts. When we figured out what it was they nicely moved us to another room, but once you realize the problem you can probably hear it in all the rooms though it is less loud and did not drive us nuts at the low level. We would have liked to open the windows, but this hotel is right on I-5 which is continuously traveled by all types of vehicles and quite loud, windows open or not.

The normal level of great Marriott's service was there which is very pleasant, but I would not stay at this facility again until it changes its air system.

Great Stay As Long as you enjoy a nice walk

by TripAdvisor Member ktbear7476

We got this hotel off of Priceline. I've seen some eh-eh reviews, but we enjoyed the hotel. Pool and Fitness center are included in your stay (a lot of other hotels we went to on this trip charged you extra).

Water Pressure, Room Space, Temp Control, Decor and Staff were all above average. The pillows were awesome!

The only big issue we had was that there was not a coffee machine in our room. I guess with a coffee shop on every corner they figure you will find coffee somewhere, but for my companion, who doesn't function without coffee, it was a little upsetting.

The location is not bad as long as you don't mind walking. It is only a few blocks to the market. There is a bus stop right outside the hotel. There are some hills in the area so if you have problems walking up hills you may not want to stay here. We didn't mind, we liked the walk...burned off calories from our meals!

We definitely would stay here again!

I loved this hotel!!! Great location for checking out the new library.

by TripAdvisor Member smonion

I love hotels in general and have made it my hobby lately to stay in as many Seattle Hotels as possible. Here's my list: Fairmont Olympic, Inn at the Market, Inn at Harbor Steps, the Paramount, the Sheraton, the Warwick, Courtyard Marriott, and the Renaissance. This is in the past month. Of all these places the only two that I would want to give my money to again are the Inn at Harbor Steps and the Renaissance.

I did go through Priceline and got a good deal. The staff was very welcoming and polite, I didn't get the feeling that I was the 'discount' customer. Everybody went out of their way to be nice and friendly, especially the person who took my room service order. I don't remember her name but she was outstanding, I wanted a very specific type of pasta and it wasn't on the menu but she really tried to accomodate me, I ended up getting something else that wasn't on the menu and it was terrific! (I ended up with rigatoni with crab in a cream sauce) It was delivered by her as well. That's always pleasant, to be able to thank someone personally. So, yeah the food was really good and reasonably priced. I think we got two complete dinners and drinks and a dessert and it was still less expensive than the Sheraton for two cheeseburgers and two desserts.

The window opened which I always like. It was a smoking room but that's what we asked for, we had originally been assigned a non-smoking room. It was on the fllor that is just underneath the club floor, so it was pretty high up. We did have a view of the 'freeway' but it also included a wonderful view of the St. James Cathedral, which is my favorite building in the city. I didn't find the freeway to be noisy, nor was the hotel noisy. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was clean and had very nice smelling bath products. Sunflower something, I saved some of the shampoo and just washed my hair with it today at a different hotel because I didn't like their product.

Also, pretty good deal on tv internet $10.00 for 24 hours, I think it's a free hookup if you have a laptop but I don't so I enjoyed the reasonably priced webtv. I was very tired when I was there so I didn't have a chance to go swimming but I did go and check out the pool and gym. It was the first hotel that I've been in and actually seen people cleaning the equipment, how refreshing! So, the pool is on one of the top floors, with what looks to be a quite hot-hot tub next to it. It rivals the Sheraton's pool in terms of nice settings for a pool, plus it's open till 11:00, not ten, take that Sheraton! (Can you tell I've had a bad experience with the Sheraton?)
I hope anyone that chooses the Renaissance has as lovely a time there as I did. I will definitely be going back, to swim at night and see the city lights and the stars.

P.S. I recall them having a small fridge but not a minibar so you may want to bring drinks.

accomadations

by 1jabbar

Hi There
I would like to visit Seattle around the xmas holiday. Can anyone recommend a nice reasonably priced hotel that is close to the fish market, space-needle and other downtown attractions etc. Thanks for your help

RE: accomadations

by micheleld

There is a Best Western in Bell Town that was renovated in 2000, and when I had my parents stay there it was very reasonable and clean. It is certainly centered between downtown and the space needle without being one on the older expensive downtown places. Call for rates though, they may have gone up.

RE: accomadations

by wordcakes

we booked our room for new years through priceline.com and got one for $85 a night at the Renaissance Seattle which is normally $189 a night at that time of year. It might be getting too close though, we booked in September. I always love staying at the Moore though. It's close to the market and shopping and bars, and it's super cheap (69 bucks). Not super fancy though, but it's nice, especially if you get one of the madeover rooms.

Comments