1525 Second Ave., Seattle, Washington, 98101, United States

Hostelworld.com Booking.com Priceline.com

• tim_japan's Profile Photo

Youth Hostel in the Heart of it All

The Green Tortoise Hostel is one of two run by this company - - the other is in??? You guessed it that other great west coast city - San Francisco. The staff is friendly. It's directly across from the Pikes Place Market, and offers free internet service. The bathrooms have recently been re-done and are nicely tiled and are single use. They have organized activities outside of the hostel; pub crawls, kayaking and such but they also have entertainment organized most nights in the lounge including live music and open mic nights.

Unique Quality: The nice thing about this place is not only did they serve a free make it your own breakfast every morning but they also had free dinner 3 nights a weeks. I stayed in a room with up to 4 people for $30 a night so that is quite a bargain to include breakfast and dinner.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

chilled out friendly hostel.

the green tortoise is a very laid back hostel where they just redid the rooms and they are as nice and clean as the HI hostel now.
    staff has a very friendly and laid back attitude and it's the kinda place where it's easy to get stuck a day or two extra simply because they are such a nice bunch.

the place has free internet included in the price, but be warned that the computers were quite slow when i was there.
    still a great service though.

Directions: right in the center of town.

• syphrus1's Profile Photo

green tourtise

we stayed here for only one night, and it was one of the greatest places ever. There is no curfew with this place and its in the middle of downtown seattle. its right around the corner from the market. At this place we got free beer and food if we stayed there that night. They also had local musicains perform that night. It was absolutly great!I would highly recommend this place its clean and the staff is really friendly.

• sunshinejo's Profile Photo

Such a friendly place!

I really enjoyed our stay at the Green Tortoise, I thought it was a really good hostel. To be honest, the dorms were a bit rundown and very basic, but the atmosphere more than made for that! I made loads of friends while I was staying there, and had a really fantastic time. The staff were very friendly and helpful if you have any questions, and the common room and balcony mean that there's always somewhere to hang out and meet fellow travellers. On top of this there are plenty of freebies, which always goes down well in a hostel - internet, dinner 3 times a week, breakfast, tea and coffee...

Unique Quality: The hostel itself is pretty basic and listing the facilities available wouldn't take very long at all! The thing about this place is the atmosphere, the location (v. central and v. convenient!) and the staff. If you're looking to be staying in the height of luxury then don't come here, if you want to make friends then this is the place for you!

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

The Green Tortoise

I didn't actually stay at this hostel. I met a guy from the UK that said it was alright. I can say from passing by it that the location was also very good for exploring things downtown.

• karengkeng's Profile Photo

Green Tortoise Hostel

I had a pleasant time at the Green Tortoise Hostel. It's a place for backpackers and the guests as well as the staff were very friendly and talkative.

I shared the room with 5 other ladies and it was a small area. I didn't mind because I was out during the day and only return to sleep.

It's a standard hostel where you cook your own breakfast. I recommend this to those who are on a tight budget but want a decent place to stay.

Unique Quality: It is near Pike Place and the other interesting areas.

• KatyaB's Profile Photo

A better place to stay

I prefer this hostel over the other hostel in Seattle because of it's greater community sort of feel.
    I greatly enjoyed the 6 person room I stayed in and the view from the window was definitely a plus.
    The personal showers and washrooms give a greater sense of privacy compared to other hostels I've been too.
    Although the common lounge could use a little sprucing up I did enjoy the large kitchen and the long balcony attached to the lounge.

Unique Quality: Free Breakfast,
    Free Internet,
    Helpful Staff,
    Central Location

• sageblue's Profile Photo

Seattle's Shady Hostel

Sarah and I stayed at the Seattle Green Tortoise Hostel for our first night in Seattle.

Our first warning sign about this hostel should have been that, when we showed up, they did not have my reservation listed, although I had reserved a room over the phone by credit card. But, a room was available, and we were able to stay.

We choose this hostel because it was close to the Pike Place Market and the downtown area. What the hostel website didn't mention, though, is that the building is right next door to the clean needle distribution center for the county. As a result, there are homeless, drug addict men asking for change outside the door to the hostel, and guys who've obviously just scrounged up enough change to get a room at the hostel for the night in the communal areas. Nice.

While I wanted to be able to meet other travelers and chat, the incredibly large number of older single men down on their luck -- probably addicts drawn by the social services nearby -- hosted by the hostel made me feel unsafe. I believe in being compassionate to others, but also good to yourself -- your own safety has to come first. We ended up mostly sticking to the safety of our private room that night.

When we returned to Seattle two days later, we stayed at the hostel again -- because we were low on funds. We stayed in the same room and saw that the sheets and blankets had not been washed or changed. Gross.

Unique Quality: Free breakfast, paid internet access, communal kitchen, lockable one-person bathrooms.

Directions: Downtown Seattle

• mht_in_la's Profile Photo

Convenience and hospitality

In downtown Seattle there are 2 major hostels competing with each other, HI Seattle and Green Tortoise. They are both superbly located near Pike Place Market and the Waterfront, and within the same price range. Perhaps there's not so much competition because the demand in summer is very high and both are fully booked.

I spent 1 night in Green Tortoise. Like most downtown hostels across north America, it's not in the best neighborhood of the city. From my dorm room I could see the neon light from the strip club behind. Late at night there were a couple of panhandlers near the building. But the hostel was 24-hour staffed with security camera so I felt quite safe. The dorm room was relatively large and clean.

I paid $22.5 for a Friday night stay. It's pretty reasonable but may sound high to European or Australian travellers. The photo showing the dorm room was copied from Green Tortoise website because I didn't take a photo when I stayed.

• bellatrix's Profile Photo

A hostel right downtown....

Green Tortoise is located in a cute little building right downtown. Its central location makes it very desireable! I've never stayed here because I live in Seattle, but I've heard that it's a good place to stay.

Directions: Located right in Belltown (downtown) just blocks away from Pike Place Market.

• Green Tortoise Hostel

Unique Quality: A funky, relaxed atmosphere boasting free breakfast, dinner and beer nights. If you want to meet people it's the place to go but if you want sleep take ear plugs (or snore, it will drive the others away).

Directions: 2nd Avenue Seattle - right in the heart of the city.

• lorino's Profile Photo

There are various B&B's in...

There are various B&B's in Seattle. Average price around $85 and up per night, include breakfast. If you're a budget traveller, feel comfortable checking into one the hostels located in Seattle for much cheaper. Check www.iyhf.org for location and price info.

BIGFOOT BACKPACKER'S HOSTEL

GREEN TORTOISE BACKPACKERS HOSTEL
    1525 Second Avenue
    Seattle, WA 98101
    (206) 340-1222 U $15-$18
    Free Breakfast Daily. Free High Speed Internet Access.
    Free Monday Dinners. Free Beer Tuesday/Friday.
    info@greentortoise.net www.greentortoise.net

12119 Southwest Cove Rd.
    Vashon Is., WA 98070
    (206) 463-2592 HI-USA $11
    dirk@vashonhostel.com www.vashonhostel.com

Directions: Whatever you need to do to be close to the City Center or Pike Place (downtown) and within bus, monorail, and/or walking distance - do it! There is so much to see and do but, Seattle is a big city fol

Comments