University Inn - Seattle

University Inn Seattle
University Inn Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 48% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• penpoison's Profile Photo

Worth a stay in the university area

Basic inn type of hotel around the University district. Basic room facilities but walking distance to the university area and the Univ of Washington Medical Center. Expect rooms to book up seasonally since it is popular with some tour groups, people who are visiting for conferences at the university and visitors of the Med Center. Non smoking hotel.

Unique Quality: Small outdoor pool, free internet access, washer & dryer in facility, walking distance to University Ave (local hangout area), accessible to public transportation, free shuttle to some sights and the downtown area. free continental breakfast. some room have balconies.

Directions: https://secure.xo.com/universityinnseattle.com/mapsdirections.htm

More about University Inn - Seattle

Above our expectations

by TripAdvisor Member cyclinggirl

We were in the middle of a cycling trip from Vancouver to the Olympic Mountains and we planned a 2 day stay in Seattle.

This hotel was above our expectations in terms of quality of room furnishings, ambiance and value for room price.

There were always enough staff at reception to handle things fast, a bounitfull breakfast and late pm snacks for free plus a shuttle to downtown for shopping- key for travellers who are not driving.
Elevators were a bit small , but that was the only thing I could find fault with.

The hotel is about 5 minutes from the Burke Gilman trail and Lake Washington and next to the univerisity campus. The hotel gives out free maps of restaurants in the area, has a computer in the lobby for guests to use and even a small outdoor pool.
We would recommend this hotel for its cleanliness, great staff and quality of room furnishings as well as location. Well above our expectations for a city hotel at a good price.

Great Room & Great Treatment

by TripAdvisor Member northbynorthwest

Typing this review using the complimentary wireless access in my very spacious, clean and comfortable room at the University Inn. Booking the room the day before yesterday was a bit of a weird experience, in that both Orbitz, and a direct call to the hotel indicated "no vacancy". However, I gave Expedia a try, it processed my request for a standard, non-smoking room and I got a confirmation. At check-in this evening, I was advised that I had been given an upgrade to a premium room, which was a welcome surprise.

The room is very nice in blond woods and tasteful fabrics, wallpaper and artwork. It has a queen size bed with pillow top mattress, full size sofa with coffee table, two seat dining table and chairs, desk and chair, a 27 or so inch TV, microwave, small fridge, and coffee maker. The bathroom is spacious, with granite or pseudo-granite counters, and with an second sink outside the bathroom proper.

The premier room apparently comes with a complimentary room service breakfast, with several hot and cold choices (ordered the night before). As an alternate they also provide "to-go" breakfasts that can be delivered or picked up at the desk.

All in all a very nice choice, in my view, and deserving of the good ratings preceding this one.

Very Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member SNAFU23

My family stayed at the University Inn for 2 nights in September, 2006.

We found the hotel to be very nice, clean, and well maintained. Some of the areas do resemble a bit of a dorm environment, but the rooms are very nice. The bed was very comfortable, the staff was excellent, and they offer a free shuttle to the tourist areas.

The room also had a "recycle bin," which is the first time we ever seen this in a hotel room, and thought it was very nice, and considerate. The rooms also have safes, which is always welcomed.

The pool and jacuzzi are on the small side, but adequate.

My only complaint, and it's a small one, is that we upgrading to the premium room and was told we get a hot breakfast each morning including eggs, etc. That is true, but only if you order it in-room. If you go to the lobby, you only get a traditional continental breakfast bar, and waffle maker, not bad, but no eggs and sausage.

Overall the hotel was very nice, and I would recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

Worried for nothing

by TripAdvisor Member FrequentFlyer

When I got home I discovered I had received mail from the University Inn I thought it was just a follow up receipt but I was pleasantly surprised(ok, shocked) that it was a letter from the General Manager thanking me for completing their comment card. I just quickly filled it out and remember leaving it in the room and honestly forgot about it.

I pointed out a minor problem in our room on the comment card and I was informed in the letter they had immediately fixed the problem. Other hotels should take notice!!

This is my experience-When we arrived we were greeted by friendly staff. No attitude what so ever. I witnessed an anxious/grumpy customer waiting for a cab but the staff remained cool under pressure. I had planned to stay for 3 days but the hotel was booked for a conference. The room was not ready upon arrival so the hotel informed us we could store our bags and we ate lunch at the adjacent restaurant featuring organic food.
By the time we finished lunch our room was ready. A big plus for me is that it's a nonsmoking hotel.

Our room was on the third floor next to the small elevator/lift. Very quiet didn't hear any motor. Our room was very clean and had a balcony overlooking the parking lot. The bathroom was clean and modern. No mold no mildew or funny smells. Comfortable bed. I would definitely stay in the same room.

The hotel has recently been redecorated and the lobby is very nice.
They were installing new carpeting and printed notices for us. We had a minor inconvenience of opening the door to our room for a few minutes when the carpet was being installed on our floor but there was a staff member accompanying the workers the entire time. Even the cleaning staff was friendly and greeted me. One staff member was even concerned that we were leaving early due to the carpet installation we assured them it was only due to no room availibility.

We missed the afternoon snacks so we ended up going to the Trader Joe's market 5-10 minutes away by foot located just up the street which is a nice alternative if you can't get to a restaurant. Next morning, I enjoyed the breakfast and made my own waffles. They have breads, boiled eggs, cereal, fruit, milk and juice. It can get a little busy, I took my food up to the room. Coffee and tea is available in the lobby all day even though there are coffee makers in the rooms.

Another pleasant surprise for me is a laundry room on the property. It's down the hall from the lobby. There was even detergent for me to use. I was happy to spend the 2.00 for the washer and dryer. There's an ice machine in there too.

The next day we checked out and they stored our luggage for us and we caught the shuttle to go down town and you do have to book early although we didn't, we were able to catch the 11:00 am shuttle and it picked us up promptly from our drop off point to shuttle us back to the hotel.

As it was stated in the follow up letter the hotel really strives to provide a "Home away from Home". I look forward to staying there again.

Friendly staff, excellent service

by TripAdvisor Member Marylander2

You won't find a friendlier inn than this one! All of the staff from the front desk to the woman tending the morning breakfast bar, are friendly and eager to make your stay enjoyable. The free breakfast is real treat -- fresh fruits, juice, waffles, hard cooked eggs, bagels and breads with a huge selection of spreads, and, of course, good Seattle coffee. What really amazed us, was that the inn also provides a late afternoon snack -- teas, coffee, lemonade, cheese cubes and a large variety of crackers, and sliced fruits. And, free coffee is available literally 24 hours/day in the lobby. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely stay here the next time we're in Seattle. You're located in the University District, not downtown Seattle, but shuttle service is provided to a variety of locations.

a contented traveler from Maryland

Clean and comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member K-S-4

We just got back from a one-night stay at the University Inn. We booked 3 Premium category rooms, all with 2 queen beds, fridge and microwave. The hotel was very modern and clean and the decor looked fairly new - like it had been recently renovated. The beds were extremely comfortable - each bed had 4 very comfy pillows and comfy mattresses. The rooms have floor to ceiling windows that open sideways and only open a few inches. You can safely sleep with your window open and feel a slight breeze - a sleep inducer after a long day. The rooms were very sound proof. We did not hear any noise in the hallways or from neighbouring rooms. The continental breakfast had a good selection, including waffles you make yourself using pre-made batter and a waffle iron, fresh fruit, cereals, bagels, bread and toppings. Overall I was very happy with our choice of hotel and would definately stay here again if the opportunity comes again to visit Seattle.

Definitely the best value in the area!

by TripAdvisor Member Patcee

I've stayed both here and at their sister hotel, Watertown, just a block away, within the last few months. While the general impresssion of the Watertown is a little more "upscale" in atmosphere with a few nicer amenities, the University Inn is quite comparable and for the $30 or $40 difference in price per night, I feel that the University Inn offers a better value.

Both hotels have comfy beds with lots of pillows and a high quality (possibly down) comforter, though I felt the quality of the sheets were a little below par. The towels are much larger and thicker at the Watertown. The University's bath towels are just too small and thin. Both had nice long counters in the the bathrooms, but tubs were just ordinary in both. Microwaves, refrigerators, in room coffee, wireless internet, breakfast and parking included in room rate for both. My experience was that the wireless service was much better at the Watertown, but that may have something to do with the room location. When we couldn't connect to the wireless at the University Inn, the front desk provided us with a "wireless bridge" to connect to our computer, and that did the trick. Service was flawless after that.

The staff at both hotels were very helpful and accommodating as stated by many others. There is one van which offers shuttle service for both hotels at the same time. That is, they pick up and drop off on the same route. I didn't use the shuttle service when I stayed here, but did use it at the Watertown and the drivers were extremely punctual and very helpful. By making a reservation ahead of time, we didn't have any trouble getting rides when we needed them. In fact, when we moved my daughter's two 75 lb. suitcases from the hotel to her dorm room, the shuttle driver handled the door-to-door transportation with a grin and no complaints! And if you're driving yourself, downtown is a very easy 10 to 15-minute drive from both hotels. You don't even have to get on the freeway, unless you prefer freeway driving to surface streets.

Because my daughter just enrolled at the University of Washington this fall, I plan to be staying in the area off and on over the next few years, so I wanted to check out other hotels in the area. I walked approximately 5 blocks over to the Hotel Deca (recently renamed from the University Towel Hotel) and was able to take a quick look at two of the rooms there. I believe the hotel was recently updated and/or remodeled and the decor was lovely, in a warm, old-fashioned sort of way. The two rooms we saw were corner rooms, so you know they were probably bigger than most and considering that, they seemed rather small. Bathrooms were tiny, with not much in the way of counter space. You could tell that the hotel building itself was older and had that "historic, well built" quality to it. Both rooms we saw were on higher floors and both had terrific views looking out toward Mt. Rainier. As I mentioned, though, they were corner rooms. The bellperson did say that almost all the rooms had nice views because of the octagon-shape of the hotel. I'm not so sure about that, though. The rates quoted for these rooms were over $200 a night, which to me, seemed overpriced for the area.

So to reiterate what I said before, I don't think you can beat the value offered by the University Inn and I will be staying either there or at the Watertown again on my next visit to Seattle!

Great deal in Seattle

by TripAdvisor Member AHS06

This hotel was excellent.. The lobby was bright, neat, well styled. They had afternoon tea with assorted cheeses. The staff was nice well informed and affable.
My room was xlean niceley kept, with a heated bathroom floor.
They have overnight off street parking and the neighborhood is funky college chic.
I would definately recommend this place all travelers. The main highway is 5 minutres away to downtown and the Uof W is a stonesthrow away.
Furthermore they are a pet friendly hotel, so you can travel with your pooch

A great value

by TripAdvisor Member K-400

Clean and modern style. The reception staff were very friendly and gave us a complimentary upgrade from a traditional to a deluxe room at check-in. The hot tub was the perfect temperature and we had it to ourselves. Wireless access was great and parking was free. Not fancy but a comfortable and friendly place to stay within walking distance of UW.

Comments